Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Butternut squash puree/soup

Or celery root puree

Those show off what vitamix does best even if its not really the season. Something more summery, not sure, I tend to not pulverize things quite as aggressively in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m not really big on squash.

I was thinking like a jalapeño cream dip sauce for chips, or maybe a homemade slushie or tomato bisque or I dunno.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
sure, any smoothie or juice thing you can dump fibrous stuff like kale into would show it off. (i have no experience w/ those cream sauces)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Make crazy smooth hummus IMO.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
return it, then buy one from costco and make gazpacho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8u58EHx9Ho

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey Steve update the op. This is by far the best teflon pan I've owned. It's great and only $30.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HBKQR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

coathat
May 21, 2007

Any recommendations for snow cone machines? I’m looking for something for smaller events (around 50 people) and home use.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

coathat posted:

Any recommendations for snow cone machines? I’m looking for something for smaller events (around 50 people) and home use.

What's your budget for it?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8Kr1sDvStAPgchA
Not sure if this helps

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What’s your guys opinion of scanpan nonstick pans?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

What's your budget for it?

Maybe up to around 100 bucks? Although this model looks promising https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Shaver-Machine-Electric-Stainless/dp/B00OUPHB12/

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What’s your guys opinion of scanpan nonstick pans?

Anyone who spends more than $60 on a non-stick is wasting their money imo. If you got it to spend sure but most non stick surfaces need to be replaced in 2-3 years anyway. To maintain slipperiness I mean.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, we used to have a couple Scanpan skillets of different sizes, and they wore out at the same speed as the cheep Oxo and T-Fal stuff we buy at Target for a tiny fraction of the price.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tortilla press rec?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Tortilla press rec?

I bought this one about a month ago and have used it a few times with no complaints: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9WF6GH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's up with vacuum blenders, which are apparena thing now?

My table blender poo poo itself a few years ago and I've been using an immersion blender instead for soups and sauces, but it can be a pain I'm the rear end when there isn't much volume and everything splashes around.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
While we're kind of on blenderchat, I'm hemming and hawing about getting a refurb Vitamix. I've gotten really into DIY stuff lately, and I want to make my own nondairy milks at home so I don't have to keep getting single use cartons and bottles at the supermarket. If I'm regularly making nut/oat/soy milks, is it worth the investment to grab a Vitamix over, say, a cheaper Breville? I don't know what type of Vitamix to look at, either. This refurb one on their site isn't a bad price, maybe it's a good option?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Keret posted:

While we're kind of on blenderchat, I'm hemming and hawing about getting a refurb Vitamix. I've gotten really into DIY stuff lately, and I want to make my own nondairy milks at home so I don't have to keep getting single use cartons and bottles at the supermarket. If I'm regularly making nut/oat/soy milks, is it worth the investment to grab a Vitamix over, say, a cheaper Breville? I don't know what type of Vitamix to look at, either. This refurb one on their site isn't a bad price, maybe it's a good option?

Yes. Pull the trigger and get it. The vitamix people let you pay it off in instalments without charging interest. Just get it.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Yes. Pull the trigger and get it. The vitamix people let you pay it off in instalments without charging interest. Just get it.

Woah, that's revelatory, I didn't know that was an option. Guess I'm a Vitamix owner now, thanks!

Grabbed a filtration bag, too. Time to delve into the wonderful world of making my own nut milk... :science:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I would recommend getting a new one at Costco for $260 on sale right now instead

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

I would recommend getting a new one at Costco for $260 on sale right now instead

Ah, I already went for the refurb one on the Vitamix site. Oh well, no big deal.

I've gone down the rabbit hole reading about what this thing can do (which seems to be most things). I'm really interested in its ability to make flours/pastes out of whole grains/nuts/seeds; it would be cool to just have a bunch of dried whole [thing]s on hand and make my own butters/milks/flours rather than dealing with wasting cartons and plastic bottles each week. Do any of y'all do this on a regular basis? Is it necessary to get the dry grains container thing for the Vitamix to do so regularly?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My mom got the dry container with hers and gave it to me. She knew she'd never use it.

I've yet to use it either :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I will buy it off you

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think this has been asked here before, but what’s a good deli slicer for home use?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Thermapen is doing 15% off Seafoam Green Mk4s, so it's not a bad time to pick up an ugly thermometer.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Any recommendations for pot holders and baking sheet pan liners? There's so much junk out there for these and my current ones really are crap

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

El Mero Mero posted:

Any recommendations for pot holders

kitchen towels

El Mero Mero posted:

baking sheet pan liners?

aluminum foil

e: unless you mean like silpats, in which case silpats

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I like Oxo pot holders, I am a fan of the combination of silicone and fabric; better heat protection, better comfort, better handling and grip

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SHVPS4DETH posted:

kitchen towels
aluminum foil

e: unless you mean like silpats, in which case silpats

Steve Yun posted:

I like Oxo pot holders, I am a fan of the combination of silicone and fabric; better heat protection, better comfort, better handling and grip

These are a correct.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I cannot be arsed to spend silpat money. Fox run makes silicon baking mats for cheap, and they ship from the amazon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Amazon Basics also have not-silpats.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

El Mero Mero posted:

Any recommendations for pot holders and baking sheet pan liners? There's so much junk out there for these and my current ones really are crap

I have some silpats and I have these. Get these, they're basically the same and I love them
https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Silicone-Baking-Mat-2-Pack/dp/B0725GYNG6?sa-no-redirect=1

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Parchment paper is also a thing. Get the precut sheets, they're so much handier

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Anne Whateley posted:

Parchment paper is also a thing. Get the precut sheets, they're so much handier

It's also not recyclable.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

also parchment paper that's baking pan sized and doesn't curl is a pain to find or is expensive enough that I know I should just pick up some liners/silpats.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look at the oxos. I use my towels for most things, but sometimes I've got some scorching hot stuff that either burns the towels or that they just can't stand up to.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I prefer potholders myself but they are always so small. I have some older ones that are absolutely awesome, it's those square pocket types and they're really roomy but all the new ones that I find are too small to put my hand in. Even the mitts are too small and I only have medium size hands.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

El Mero Mero posted:

sometimes I've got some scorching hot stuff that either burns the towels or that they just can't stand up to.

get better towels and only use them when they're dry

are you using microfibers or smtg?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Note about the Oxo potholders, for some reason the fabric likes to scuff to hell in the washing machine, so put them in a lingerie bag when you wash them

I too use fox run liners, but I bought them because I wanted a monochrome kitchen and I think reddish brown is ugly. They work just fine

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

If I don't wanna use a towel for whatever reason, I just use this kind of oven mitt:

https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Silicone-Oven-Hot-Mitts/dp/B01AGU2G5K/

poo poo works just fine. I don't have that brand, but I've got a similar brand from... gently caress, who knows, somewhere. All of them work basically the same.

Also yeah get an Amazon Basics silpat or aluminum foil or parchment paper for lining your pans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ovegloves are great