Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I currently have a non-enameled Dutch oven by Lodge and was looking into an enameled one.

I was trying to decide between a Lodge and a Le Creuset. My wallet and brain are telling me to go with the Lodge because I don't really use my current Dutch oven now, but that's also probably because I'm a bit uncomfortable cooking with cast iron.

Is there a reason the Le Creuset is so expensive? Also, what size should I purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

obi_ant posted:

I currently have a non-enameled Dutch oven by Lodge and was looking into an enameled one.

I was trying to decide between a Lodge and a Le Creuset. My wallet and brain are telling me to go with the Lodge because I don't really use my current Dutch oven now, but that's also probably because I'm a bit uncomfortable cooking with cast iron.

Is there a reason the Le Creuset is so expensive? Also, what size should I purchase?

i mean they're pretty but personally i would also go with the lodge

what do you think you'll cook in them? how many servings of those things?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

obi_ant posted:

Supposedly the enamel lasts longer than on a budget one

But now that I've owned a $300 Staub for a decade I can say I kinda wish I got a Cuisinart one since they were like $60-80 at TJMaxx and I would've been able to get a 7 quart instead of the 5 quart I have now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Supposedly the enamel lasts longer than on a budget one

But now that I've owned a $300 Staub for a decade I can say I kinda wish I got a Cuisinart one since they were like $60-80 at TJMaxx and I would've been able to get a 7 quart instead of the 5 quart I have now

i got a clearanced cuisinart cast iron at crappy for like $15 because it had a small chip somewhere and i've used it for years now and it has never gotten worse

anyway i would buy the cuisinart next time too

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I have a 10 year old Lodge that has some discoloration on the bottom enamel but otherwise is fine.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
American test kitchen did a test of enamel dutch ovens, based on that, and a sale, I bought a Lagostina 6.8 q. I use it all the time, no issues. $80 cnd.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I have a $26 Amazon Basics enameled Dutch oven and it’s great, even has a metal knob so I don’t have to worry about melting a plastic one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hutla posted:

I have a $26 Amazon Basics enameled Dutch oven and it’s great, even has a metal knob so I don’t have to worry about melting a plastic one.

I have the same one, I think for around a year now of at least weekly use, stuff like braises/stews as well as roasting meat, baking bread, etc. I use it up to 450F and it hasn't really had any issues.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I bought a no-name enameled cast iron Dutch oven for 5 euro in a French supermarket in Biche something like twenty years ago. It's held together fantastically.

Le Creuset is you paying for a name.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GD_American posted:

I bought a no-name enameled cast iron Dutch oven for 5 euro in a French supermarket in Biche something like twenty years ago. It's held together fantastically.

Le Creuset is you paying for a name.

and a lifetime warranty

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I can’t say that it’s a good value purchase, but my two Le Creuset dutch ovens have been great for the last decade.

I’d guess the other ones are fine too.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Le creuset is nice, but not better in a really functional way. The tests I've read usually say something about like, handle size, or the angle of where the walls meet the bottom when they try to articulate differences. I have 2 cast iron lodges a small le creuset I got on deep sale and an enameled cuisinart and they all work fine. The cuisinart is 6? quarts and it was 70$. IMO if you're buying big go reasonably cheap, it'll be fine.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The only thing I've seen that makes Le Creuset marginally better is apparently they are less prone to hot spots. But if it's a Dutch oven who cares, it will be in your oven most of the time anyway.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i really like my staub. im sure they are all fairly similar though

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BraveUlysses posted:

and a lifetime warranty

For a good enamel pot this is unreasonably short.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I got https://www.costco.com/tramontina-enameled-cast-iron-dutch-oven%2c-2-pack.product.100690152.html these guys from Costco. 2 of them for 70 bucks and they've treated us well for a few years now

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Twitter is currently engaged in arguing about gas versus electric because of some dumb thing somebody said, but I have to say, as far as I can tell my new induction stove is just superior to my old gas one in every way. Water boils quickly and stays boiling even after I add pasta to it, and other stuff heats more evenly.

(It's possible that it was a really lovely gas stove, though.)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Basically the only thing you need gas for is a wok. Don't try and tell me your induction wok is any good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

xtal posted:

Basically the only thing you need gas for is a wok. Don't try and tell me your induction wok is any good.

yea i generally agree with this, though i wonder if those bowl-shaped special induction wok units are any good

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've liked gas better than induction. Granted, I was using commercial gas ranges and the induction "burners" I compared it to were the standalone portable ones, which might not be the greatest. I just feel like I had finer control with gas. For more delicate stuff, it always felt like I couldn't quite get the perfect level with induction - it was either too low or too high.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thoht posted:

I've liked gas better than induction. Granted, I was using commercial gas ranges and the induction "burners" I compared it to were the standalone portable ones, which might not be the greatest. I just feel like I had finer control with gas. For more delicate stuff, it always felt like I couldn't quite get the perfect level with induction - it was either too low or too high.

assuming you're in north america, this is definitely dependent on the burner. the built-ins can draw upon dramatically more power than most portables. nicer built-ins generally have a much finer scale, too (my portable one gives you like eight settings only).

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

About the only thing I do regularly that I couldn't do on induction is roast chiles and tortillas. I imagine griddling would require special equipment too, but I have a terrible time with hot spots on gas so maybe it would end up being better for that.

I still prefer gas, but induction is usable, and light years ahead of any other conductive electric stove. I'm glad it exists.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mediaphage posted:

assuming you're in north america, this is definitely dependent on the burner. the built-ins can draw upon dramatically more power than most portables. nicer built-ins generally have a much finer scale, too (my portable one gives you like eight settings only).

yeah whenever I go home for christmas and make gumbo on my parents' induction, it's always a struggle not to burn the roux because they get so much hotter than i expect (relative to gas) and the temperature changes so fast

which isn't a knock against them at all, it's just they work really well and all my instincts and muscle memory are built around things that work less well (but in predictable ways)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I keep wondering if eventually they'll be able to embed an inductor in the pans themselves and use motion detection in the "range" to simulate cooking over gas.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Product review: the Thrifty Ice Cream Gun sucks. It’s different from the ones they use at the ice cream shop. The consumer ones are stainless steel, thinner, flimsier, and leave glory holes in your ice cream. If you really want the real one, get a job at Rite Aid, work at the ice cream counter and steal the gun

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Product review: the Thrifty Ice Cream Gun sucks. It’s different from the ones they use at the ice cream shop. The consumer ones are stainless steel, thinner, flimsier, and leave glory holes in your ice cream. If you really want the real one, get a job at Rite Aid, work at the ice cream counter and steal the gun

Just so we can understand the context would you say you're an ice cream superuser or professional?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm more interested in where Rite Aid has ice cream counters. 1952?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm more interested in where Rite Aid has ice cream counters. 1952?

yeah tbh i was trying to figure out earlier if they were talking about the same rite aid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You guys don’t have an ice cream shop inside your Rite-Aids? I think every one in Los Angeles does... it might be a holdover from Thrifty’s, and stuck around even after Rite-Aid bought them

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Steve Yun posted:

You guys don’t have an ice cream shop inside your Rite-Aids? I think every one in Los Angeles does... it might be a holdover from Thrifty’s, and stuck around even after Rite-Aid bought them

It is. in the rest of the country, Rite-Aid is an absolutely generic, interchangeable corner drug store chain

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yea rite aid is just like a cvs or walgreens for the ones i’ve been to

the closest thing like above (i.e., discounting actual ice cream or bakery chains) that we had was udf, short for united dairy farmers. it’s a few hundred strong combination convenience store/gas station/ice cream parlour.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
*at the local Rite-Aid*

"hey can I get a double scoop of vanilla in a sugar cone?"

I MEAN YEAH MAYBE? ARE YOU GONNA BUY SOMETHING OR WHAT?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

My hometown had 3 rite aids in a 2 mile stretch for a while because of company buyouts and I am more angry now that none of them had ice cream counters what the actual gently caress

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Robviously posted:

My hometown had 3 rite aids in a 2 mile stretch for a while because of company buyouts and I am more angry now that none of them had ice cream counters what the actual gently caress

There used to be a cool olde-timey drugstore in Portland that had a lunch counter still with a soda fountain, ice cream and stuff, I used to go in and get a grilled cheese once in a while.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Any advice on graters?

I have both of these Fiskars graters and to be honest they kind of suck. The box grater is OK, but the frame of the grater has cracked and the container is kind of awkward to grip, unless your hands are huge.

The flippable grater just sucks, because the locking mechanism can't take any force, so it will fold on you if you try to use it on anything tougher than cucumber.

I like that the box grater has a container to grate into, so that's something I'll be looking for. Is the oxo box grater any good?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have the Oxo and it’s as good as a box grater will ever get

I like grating at more of an angle so I use microplane handled graters over a bowl more often

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I have the Oxo and it’s as good as a box grater will ever get

I like grating at more of an angle so I use microplane handled graters over a bowl more often

yeah i generally agree with this, but i really only use microplanes for ginger, garlic, turmeric and hard spices

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Microplane parmesan is fantastic.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

microplane is better for zesting a lemon in my experience its also amazing for weed, like a far finer shred than any grinder will get you which is ideal for vaping

buuut for everything else? yeah the oxo box grater is Grate.

i only recently learned that I could be using a food processor to chop vegetables instead of doing it by hand and feel like an idiot. anyone have a favorite processor? cuisinart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The Cuisinart with the big rear end flap buttons is a solid classic

I have a kitchen aid I love because it doesn’t have the recent new safety chute garbage, if it breaks I’m gonna cry

I don’t use the processor much because it doesn’t seem to get a good dice. Either it grates cheese (good at that) or it slices (good at that) but if I use the bottom blades instead of a disc it turns a lot of vegetables into unevenly-sized chunks, or sludge

I feel like if I want a good dice, I might have to get one of the Robot Coupes that dumps the nicely diced vegetables into an external bowl, or maybe that processor attachment for the Kitchen Aid stand mixer

Edit: robot coupes with dicing attachments start at $1500 lol

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 28, 2021