Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Feenix posted:

I've decided I am going to tackle crepes. Do I need some fancy expensive crepier pan if I just plan on doing this from time to time on my glass top? (or Induction?)

Or can I just go get a 10-12 inch shallow-walled nonstick and be good to go?

The latter. I got my wife a crepe pan for Xmas (at her request) and it's literally just a 10-inch nonstick skillet without walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Feenix posted:

I've decided I am going to tackle crepes. Do I need some fancy expensive crepier pan if I just plan on doing this from time to time on my glass top? (or Induction?)

I think you can use that pan but you will need a proper spreading tool.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

VelociBacon posted:

Like a ladle? What are you talking about? Crepes are super easy to do they're just intimidating and some folks overcomplicate it.

Edit: I looked them up and yep there is such a thing as a crepe spreader. That's super unnecessary.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

VelociBacon posted:

For why? I see tons of recipe videos on nonstick just swirling.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Croatoan posted:

Like a ladle? What are you talking about? Crepes are super easy to do they're just intimidating and some folks overcomplicate it.

He means this T-shaped wooden thing like you have a tiny zen rock/sand garden. I’ve seen them. I’m just wondering how they improve if you can do it pretty well by swirling.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just seems the better way to do it so your thickness is perfect throughout and you don’t anger your breakfast guests with a second rate crepe.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

VelociBacon posted:

Just seems the better way to do it so your thickness is perfect throughout and you don’t anger your breakfast guests with a second rate crepe.

Nah, man, that's totally valid. I will score one. I watched some videos. I see what it's doing now. Just gotta get that wrist action spinning.

Thanks for the advice!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I make really good crepes half asleep and still baked in a cast iron pan while distracted by other people. They're really simple. I started cooking them when I was like 8, it's a family Sunday thing. Just practice a little, and turn down that heat, Mr. Gorbachev.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My local cookware store has a sale tomorrow that will put their Lodge cast iron skillets about on par w Amazon. I’m thinking of picking up a 12”, any reason why I would consider the 10”? I’m v new at cooking and cookware, but I like this thread and figured I’d go here rather than the cast iron thread for a general question like that.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Get both

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I kind like the 10 for cooking things like cornbread and find that I don't need the extra space of the 12.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Do people wash their ceramic honing rods?

I do. Did. Once. I've heard of putting them in the dishwasher but I just used soap and a toothbrush.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lovely late night plating ahoy. Sorry, it was the kids’ bedtime. But I made crepes for the first time ever. First couple were torn up poo poo shows. But I got the hang of it with the pan swirl technique. To be honest, the little t-wood tools just tore poo poo up. So I don’t understand that yet...

Yum.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Feenix posted:

lovely late night plating ahoy. Sorry, it was the kids’ bedtime. But I made crepes for the first time ever. First couple were torn up poo poo shows. But I got the hang of it with the pan swirl technique. To be honest, the little t-wood tools just tore poo poo up. So I don’t understand that yet...

Yum.

When making crepes your first one or two are expected to be trash just FYI. Also, those spreaders are unnecessary. Good job though!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
J A Henckels' eBay storefront seems to be running a clearance sale.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Their outlet stores are having a 30% off sale through the end of the month for Chinese New Year's (Some Morimoto stuff is half off)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

My local cookware store has a sale tomorrow that will put their Lodge cast iron skillets about on par w Amazon. I’m thinking of picking up a 12”, any reason why I would consider the 10”? I’m v new at cooking and cookware, but I like this thread and figured I’d go here rather than the cast iron thread for a general question like that.

I have an 8" and a 12". I almost always use the 12". Having the extra room is good for almost anything except when you are making something like cornbread or rolls or foccacia that has a specific target thickness.

That said, if you don't have manly lumberjack wrists you may want to try lifting them both to see what works best for you. My 12" is too heavy for my wife to move around without a lot of effort which can be dangerous when hot.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Feenix posted:

I prefer an old and beaten looking cast iron pan.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Murgos posted:

I My 12" is too heavy for my wife to move around without a lot of effort which can be dangerous when hot.

Same :pervert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just want you bastards to know you made me do it...

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
A local chain has a sale on stainless cookware including the All-Clad Sauce Pan I’ve been looking at. I’ve been planning on the 4qt because that’s what America’s Test Kitchen went gaga for, but would there be any reason not to get the 4qt and get the 3qt instead?

Edit: decided on the 4qt. The discussions I read on 3qt v 4qt mostly leaned towards the larger size. Mainly because the larger size doesn’t affect the cooking functionality, and better to have it and not need it.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 4, 2018

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Feenix posted:

Just want you bastards to know you made me do it...

I have the same one, I really like it. Trying to decide if I should buy any of their extra disk attachments though, they're kinda expensive. I'll probably just get the extra-thin slicer.

EDIT: I bought their little carrying case and it has three disc slots, the base unit comes with two, so obviously you gotta get at least one more to fill it, right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TheQuietWilds posted:

I have the same one, I really like it. Trying to decide if I should buy any of their extra disk attachments though, they're kinda expensive. I'll probably just get the extra-thin slicer.

EDIT: I bought their little carrying case and it has three disc slots, the base unit comes with two, so obviously you gotta get at least one more to fill it, right?

Agreed! I need that disc holder! And a third disc! Anyone recommend a truly worthwhile one?!

Used the processor for the first time tonight. Holy shot it’s whisper quiet. My wife was talking to me at normal conversational volume and I heard her clear as day.
So impressed.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

May I have a recommendation for an oil spritzer please, so I can easily coat a pan, with whatever oil I choose? I am in the UK.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

May I have a recommendation for an oil spritzer please, so I can easily coat a pan, with whatever oil I choose? I am in the UK.

Most kitchens that do oil spritzing (generally onto meat halfway through baking or w/e) I think just make it with normal spray bottles from a craft store. Put olive oil in with some peppers or w/e for flavoring and you're golden.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I've got one of those "misto" pump oil sprayers and it works alright I guess, but not much better than just a regular spray bottle you'd get from the dollar store.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cool thanks guys.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mistos break pretty regularly in my experience

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah mine clogged quickly and I ended up trashing it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did you guys go back to squirt bottles

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

lol pam. I should pick up a squirt bottle for it though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just use pam.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I just use pam.

:same:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

who doesn't love the taste of butane/propane propellant :yum:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

they both evaporate at room temp and you're applying it to a cooking surface even if they didn't. It's simply better than mistos.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Elizabethan Error posted:

who doesn't love the taste of butane/propane propellant :yum:

Well poo poo I better get rid of my natural gas stove while I'm at it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Well poo poo I better get rid of my natural gas stove while I'm at it.
I know right? it's so hard to get 40 gal tanks of buttery flavoured propane these days

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I feel like whenever my instant Pot fails me, it’s a breach of contract and I feel betrayed.

(It doesn’t happen often.)

I randomly came across one of those basic-rear end mommy food blog sites and it looked good... but something HAS to be wrong with the liquid, right?

I got a burn issue like, immediately. Ruined everything...

https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-sweet-and-spicy-pineapple-shrimp/comment-page-1/#comment-20792

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Feenix posted:

I randomly came across one of those basic-rear end mommy food blog sites and it looked good... but something HAS to be wrong with the liquid, right?

I got a burn issue like, immediately. Ruined everything...

https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-sweet-and-spicy-pineapple-shrimp/comment-page-1/#comment-20792

yeah, that doesn't look like enough liquid - i think the lowest you normally go for instant pot rice is around a 1:1 ratio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ekeog posted:

yeah, that doesn't look like enough liquid - i think the lowest you normally go for instant pot rice is around a 1:1 ratio

I ignored her life story blog bullshit and went to the recipe, so I didn’t see some of her photos but even accounting for her having a smaller capacity instant Pot, her photos have a ton more liquid than is represented in the recipe list. Clearly she left something out.