Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Peugeot pepper grinder came in the mail two days ago. It's handsome as gently caress and grinds boss pepper and now I want one for salt cuz it looks so handsome. (I got the Natural finish. Kinda sad now that I didn't get a Chocolate finish so I could buy a Natural-finish one for salt and still be able to tell them apart.)

EDIT: Oh, this is the other Kitchen Equipment thread.

Oh well, my point still stands. Peugeot makes sexy rear end pepper mills. :colbert:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'm partial to Zassenhaus for pepper grinders. I like how it works to adjust grind from the bottom.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The Peugeot pepper grinder came in the mail two days ago. It's handsome as gently caress and grinds boss pepper and now I want one for salt cuz it looks so handsome. (I got the Natural finish. Kinda sad now that I didn't get a Chocolate finish so I could buy a Natural-finish one for salt and still be able to tell them apart.)

EDIT: Oh, this is the other Kitchen Equipment thread.

Oh well, my point still stands. Peugeot makes sexy rear end pepper mills. :colbert:

The brass screw on top has a P or a S to differentiate the salt and pepper grinders. :ssh: But I had the same thought as you after I got my natural finish pepper one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I normally don't post unsolicited recommendations here but I got the Waring Pro double waffle maker for Christmas and I feel like I've finally found the holy grail of waffle makers. Waffles come out light and crisp on the outside. Being able to cook two at a time makes it actually useful for feeding the family. Cleanup is easy, and nothing sticks to the plates. Highly recommend.

Had oven-fried chicken tonight so I made cornbread waffles to serve with it. Turned out great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I want your cornbread waffle recipe because I used a muffin batter and my waffles came out floppy

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was a last minute decision, so I just used the recipe on the box, but added a little extra milk to make it thinner/lighter.

¾ cup corn meal
1 ¼ cup ap flour
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp kosher salt

Mix, then addd:
1 ¼ cup milk
¼ cup oil
1 egg, beaten

Stir just til combined. Batter will be lumpy blah blah blah

I used setting 4 ½ on this waffle maker. But I'm pretty sure these would have come out floppy/too moist in my old cuisinart waffle maker.

The beauty of it was I decided to make these with just 10 minutes until dinner was ready, and they were done just in time.

edit: The recipe called for a cup of skim milk. I used 1 cup of 2%, made the first two waffles, then added a little more milk to the remaining batter and made two more. Those two were the best, so the extra milk is reflected in the recipe above as close as I can guess.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

We used that waffle maker at the place I used to work. It is indeed the poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

FireTora posted:

The brass screw on top has a P or a S to differentiate the salt and pepper grinders. :ssh: But I had the same thought as you after I got my natural finish pepper one.

You have made me very happy by telling me this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I normally don't post unsolicited recommendations here but I got the Waring Pro double waffle maker for Christmas and I feel like I've finally found the holy grail of waffle makers. Waffles come out light and crisp on the outside. Being able to cook two at a time makes it actually useful for feeding the family. Cleanup is easy, and nothing sticks to the plates. Highly recommend.

Had oven-fried chicken tonight so I made cornbread waffles to serve with it. Turned out great.

gently caress, I want to make some waffles now. I might have to look that up on Amazon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anybody wanna recommend a French fry cutter? I have a 20 lb bag of them I bought for the holidays and forgot about.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Get a commercial cutter

Yeah, it's $55, but all those cheap plastic things on amazon will just break after a few months. Your other option would be a good mandoline, but that's even more expensive.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Get a commercial cutter

Yeah, it's $55, but all those cheap plastic things on amazon will just break after a few months. Your other option would be a good mandoline, but that's even more expensive.

Truth. You need an all metal body, plate and lever. Any plastic = garbage. And it's not just that they wear out and break quickly, because they flex/bend so much in use, they barely have enough oomph to get though normal potatoes.

Ten years ago, I lived with a French Fry junkie, and we went through a few cheap ones before spending $75 on the real deal.

My mom has the single waffle version of that. While it makes great waffles, it's terrible for feeding a mob of people all at once.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We were given a chopper as a gift, one like this: https://www.oxo.com/chopper-228

I don't really like to return gifts, and they know we cook and it was a sweet thought, but I am thinking I have knives and I know how to use them and these don't really give you a consistent size. Am I right or do people feel strongly that these are a valuable time saver when you're tired?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife bought me a similar chopper from Pampered Chef, I was pleasantly surprised that it worked well, but have only used it once since Xmas. I'm no pro and my standards for uniformity are lax.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

guppy posted:

We were given a chopper as a gift, one like this: https://www.oxo.com/chopper-228

I don't really like to return gifts, and they know we cook and it was a sweet thought, but I am thinking I have knives and I know how to use them and these don't really give you a consistent size. Am I right or do people feel strongly that these are a valuable time saver when you're tired?

I have a similar widget and I haul it out periodically when I want to chop something really fine, such as onion for guacamole. I prefer just hammering on the chopper to trying to mince, scrape, repeat over and over again.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I have a similar widget and I haul it out periodically when I want to chop something really fine, such as onion for guacamole. I prefer just hammering on the chopper to trying to mince, scrape, repeat over and over again.

I've had them before, and they do great for things with that are firm, but trying to chop something soft like ripe tomatoes, well, you might as well be juicing them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TBH the time you miiiight save using one of those chopper things you'd end up spending when you have to take it apart and clean it. Besides, knife skills are important and you should find pleasure in practicing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just bought a Waring Pro Single on Amazon. I've been craving waffles for months and Flash Gordon Ramsay's post pushed me over the edge.

Thanks, Flash Gordon Ramsay! :getin:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Going to replace my flatware, glasses and dishes. Any suggestions before I look for something pretty?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

Going to replace my flatware, glasses and dishes. Any suggestions before I look for something pretty?

Make sure you pick the glasses and dishes that will allow food to sit upon them and/or inside of them. For flatware make sure that any knives you buy aren't sharp enough to cut yourself, and don't bother buying forks because they're basically just spoons with less material which means you're getting ripped off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I just bought a Waring Pro Single on Amazon. I've been craving waffles for months and Flash Gordon Ramsay's post pushed me over the edge.

Thanks, Flash Gordon Ramsay! :getin:

If you find something new to waffle, let us know. I've done brownies and the aforementioned corn bread in mine. I've heard of stuffing waffles, and hash brown waffles, but not tried those.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kenji's stuffing waffles are a revelation

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think somebody posted a recipe for protein powder waffles in YLLS awhile back. I want to go look that up, because I'm supposed to be on a diet now. I'm already gonna be using a protein-enriched low-calorie milk and sugar stevia mix to make waffles, but a little extra protein can't hurt.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Wookums posted:

http://www.corbyhall.com/

If you can afford it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you have a preferred reseller that doesn't have a 300 minimum?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've been using this iron for years and it has held up really well. The two waffle capacity is a lifesaver - any time I am making waffles I am making waffles for a group so it kind of should be standard.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My cheap 10" teflon skillet is finally starting to go and I'm looking for a replacement. Honestly the only thing I really use it for nowadays is cooking eggs in the morning; I own a 12" cast iron skillet, 2qt triclad sauce pan and 4qt saute pan (also needs replacing) which along with my stock pot covers just about everything I do. Is teflon pretty much the only thing recommended for eggs or could I go with something else that's more long-lasting? I was looking at carbon steel and stainless steel pans (8-10"); would either of these work for eggs (scrambled, over-easy, etc.) or are they too much of a pain?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can use the cast iron for eggs, just turn the heat down and use a little oil or butter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Get a commercial cutter

After some deliberation I think I'll just get a bron mandoline instead

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

After some deliberation I think I'll just get a bron mandoline instead

That is a perfectly adequate solution.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

You can use the cast iron for eggs, just turn the heat down and use a little oil or butter

Maybe, but let's assume I'd rather cook them in something that doesn't weigh as much as that pan does.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If not cast iron, get another teflon pan.

I finally threw out my Calphalon nonstick, it lasted me almost exactly 5 years.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use a $50 tfal Teflon pan pretty much just for eggs. It's much better than doing the whole process of cleaning the cast iron (I wash it with soap then reseason after every use).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I liked my Calphalon nonstick but I got a new Swiss diamond pan for Christmas and boy is it nice. Not sure if it's truly worth 2x the price but it has a lifetime warranty.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

VelociBacon posted:

I use a $50 tfal Teflon pan pretty much just for eggs. It's much better than doing the whole process of cleaning the cast iron (I wash it with soap then reseason after every use).

The hell? Why? Once it's properly seasoned you can wash cast iron with soap and water with no problems. You should only be reseasoning if you somehow strip the old seasoning or let the pan start to rust.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
What's the current goon consensus on stand mixers? The only one that gets advertised to me are kitchenaid, but popularity isn't always a sign of value or quality.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Get a kitchen aid. Unless you're going to make bread once a week in which case get the bosch universal mixer.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Get a kitchen aid. Unless you're going to make bread once a week in which case get the bosch universal mixer.

If you're making bread very often, I'd recommend a Hobart. Hobart's drat near never break, and when they do, the price is reasonable.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hobarts are awesome if you're running a bakery or pizzeria or something, but $2k+ is a bit steep for a limited-use home kitchen appliance.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Chef's answer is always "get the thing I use in the restaurant" which sometimes works well for home and sometimes doesn't :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TheQuietWilds posted:

What's the current goon consensus on stand mixers? The only one that gets advertised to me are kitchenaid, but popularity isn't always a sign of value or quality.

Bosch Universal Plus Kitchen Machine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016KU16G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_DgFKwbGBG78RZ