Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Not sure? It's this thing. I use it for my hands actually. So I don't tear a callous off while lifting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00R6P72JO/ref=mp_s_a_1_25_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523993282&sr=8-25&keywords=microplane&th=1&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Microplane started off as a woodworking tool before they found out people were using them for food. Maybe someone told them they were great for callouses.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Anyone got experience with electric takoyaki griddles?

I'm going to be doing catering for an art exhibit in November, and the theme of the exhibit is planets and stars, so I'm coming up with a menu of hor d'oeuvres that are spherical. I can probably get some funding for purchasing one or two, but still just looking for something cheap-ish (looks like most run about $35-$40 on Amazon, that's certainly doable) but reliable.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Is it worth picking up a Cuisinart Elemental-series 8 cup food processor for 100 CAD?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HappyHippo posted:

Microplane started off as a woodworking tool before they found out people were using them for food. Maybe someone told them they were great for callouses.

Idk, I can get behind pumice stones, but something about using a metal grater on your hands and feet makes me feel sick

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I ripped a callus right off my palm deadlifting once. I've grated my hands weekly ever since.

modestopotamus
Aug 19, 2009
I finally caved in an bought a mandolin. Julienning has never been more fun.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

modestopotamus posted:

Perfect hashbrowns EVERY WEEKEND... or at least that's what I use it for 90% of the time.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Any toaster recommendations that won't burn the house down? I don't need a bunch of fancy features or anything, just a simple 2-slice with a bagel function.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

modestopotamus posted:

Hell yeah, Benriner supremacy

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Awhile back I bought a squirt bottle for oil at the local restaurant supply, it has a different cap than the usual condiment bottle. I only bought one to make sure it wouldn't leak like the others and it didn't. Went back today to buy more and they had discontinued and sold out of them. :argh:

Says 1121 Tablecraft USA 4, on the bottom. It's a 12oz bottle. The difference is it has an extra inner lip that goes inside the bottle and prevents oil from weeping out the threads. Looks similar to this:
https://www.hubert.com/product/26746/Tablecraft-Silicone-Squeeze-Bottle-Sauce-Bands-for-8-12-Oz

Not sure if that's the same bottle. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I have regular squirt bottles but I want more of this specific type of bottle.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Nighthand posted:

Any toaster recommendations that won't burn the house down? I don't need a bunch of fancy features or anything, just a simple 2-slice with a bagel function.

just get a toaster oven, they're like $30 and versatile as hell

unless you have counter space concerns i guess? that's abt the only reason i could think of not to and at that point get a cuisinart compact

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
Any opinions on USA Pan bakeware?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Selenite posted:

Any opinions on USA Pan bakeware?

I have a few of their things but haven't had a chance to use them a ton yet. They're loving solid though. I have an 8x8, 9x9, and a cookie sheet and I'm pretty sure I could bludgeon a moose to death with all of them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I used some of the pullman pans in a professional kitchen environment for a while until I left that place(gently caress that place).
They still looked new after 5-6 months of heavy use.
I wouldn't let the dishwasher touch them I would just rinse them out and let them air dry.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

fknlo posted:

I'm pretty sure I could bludgeon a moose* to death with all of them.
Truly the standard all bakeware should aspire to meet.

*moose may be substituted by other Cervidae where unavailable.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Human Tornada posted:

Is there any place (online or brick and mortar) that runs discounts on Staub stuff from time to time?

FYI Williams Sonoma is having a sale on some Staub stuff right now so my 13x9 baking dish was marked down from $70 to $56, and I used my professional chef's discount to knock it down to $45 pre-tax and I used a code for free shipping so the whole thing worked out to $47 shipped.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Croatoan posted:

It's silly to not get this in addition to whatever you get. http://a.co/1pYrLgQ

Personally I'd get an all-clad over carbon steel as it does the same but is more versatile however it can hurt your budget.

From the reviews. You will likely roll your eyes.

“r: Black|Verified Purchase
I ordered a set of these pans because they came highly rated on a cooking show I watch that tests cooking implements. I did not use them for a year after I purchased them because my other non-stick pans were still working well. When I finally used them I noticed that the bottom was not flat. This makes cooking difficult because all the juice and fat will run to the outside edges. I don't like to use a lot of oil so it made frying egg rolls and bacon impossible unless I wanted to fill the pan up with oil. Their customer service said

"Please note that cookware is generally designed with a slightly raised center to allow for the expansion of the metals during the heating or cooking process."

This is simply not true and to prove it I set out some of my pans and added a bit of water. From the picture you can see the T-fal pans are the only ones that have a raised middle and the water pools to the edge. All the other pans the water was evenly distributed and not pooling to the outside edge.

I cook all the time and anyone that knows me calls me a hard core foodie. I take my cooking seriously and I cannot recommend T-fal non-stick pans. If you want a good quality non-stick pan spend $10 more and get the one in the right side of the pan. Search for "stone earth pan" and get the value for you money.”

First of all, I’ve not heard of people using oil for bacon. I thought it has fat in it already that renders out. Second of all who is pan frying egg rolls. I am so confuse.

What even.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I don't get it either dino. The person seems weird. Also, I really like mine and yeah the oil can roll to one side but I think that's more a function of my burners never being 100% level fwiw

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Why are they adding oil to fry bacon?

Even if it were turkey bacon, you can crack an egg into that pan dry and cook without it sticking. Any fat you add to it should just be for flavor. They're neurotic.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 12, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
T-fal sells 2 nearly identical skillets, one made in France, has a bolted handle, and slightly thicker aluminum (going by looks); the other is made in (?China) and has a riveted handle. They look identical at first. The China version goes convex and the handle gets loose. The French one stays flat (so far) and the handle is tight. It wouldn't surprise me if some sellers are shipping the Chinese version in place of the French version. The French Teflon is no more durable than the Chinese version though and I think you'd be nuts to put them in a dishwasher.
edit; after reading through those reviews, apparently the French version goes convex too. I have the 10" version and it's flat.

wormil fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 12, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

From the way they include egg rolls alongside bacon, it almost sounds like they're deep-fat frying the bacon? Which um

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What are those racks called that I can placed fried food on to drain/cool down? Uh... wire racks? Any good brands I should be looking for? I need the top and the bottom.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

What are those racks called that I can placed fried food on to drain/cool down? Uh... wire racks? Any good brands I should be looking for? I need the top and the bottom.

Cooling racks and if you get one with a pan that fits neatly you'll really like the experience. I don't know any brands sorry.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I had the TFal nonstick and they do dome but not so as to be unusable. Just slightly annoying. Considering they are half the price of other similar quality non-stick pans it’s a reasonable trade off.

However Cooks Illustrated did remove their recommendation for the pan saying they too were annoyed by it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
This isn't strictly about kitchen equipment so much as kitchen storage, but our kitchen has a fairly deep (~3-4ft) cabinet that we've been using as a pantry. The thing is, it's a loving chore to reach for things at the back. I've seen those fancy setups where an entire shelf slides out like a drawer, and everything is accessible. But most of those I can find require replacing the shelves or otherwise drilling holes through them. Is there some sort of nondestructive approach to this?

Obviously a pull out shelf needs to be balanced, so either some counterweight system or other securing mechanism. The cupboard in question has holes for adjustable pins, so in theory it could be possible to replace the fixed shelf pins with some pull-out system if such a thing exists. If not, if there's a pull-out system that can be secured by clamping against the upper shelf, that'd also be an option.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I don't have a specific recommendation, but Ikea probably makes something that will work.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

May be worthwhile to just put a middle-height shelf in the back, so you have stuff up front at the bottom of the cabinet, and stuff above in the back that’s easier to see and reach. That way you’re not reaching over stuff in the front to get stuff in the back.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Jan posted:

This isn't strictly about kitchen equipment so much as kitchen storage, but our kitchen has a fairly deep (~3-4ft) cabinet that we've been using as a pantry. The thing is, it's a loving chore to reach for things at the back. I've seen those fancy setups where an entire shelf slides out like a drawer, and everything is accessible. But most of those I can find require replacing the shelves or otherwise drilling holes through them. Is there some sort of nondestructive approach to this?

I had a similar problem with having 50 billion cans/ jars of paint in my artist studio, and was sick of reaching back into my deep industrial metal shelving and pulling up "nope, not that green. Nope, not that one. Nope..." While stoned and dicking around Home Depot at 3am (drat I miss NY and 24 hour stores) I stumbled on ball bearing turntables, for making your own lazy Susan. They're just two metal plates with a ring of bearings between them. A few of those with some plywood solved my problem, no drilling into the shelves needed because the weight of the cans kept it stable (I did screw the plywood to the top plate, they have pre-drilled holes in them just for that purpose already). You lose a little space in the corners of the cabinet, but I just tucked stuff I rarely used there.

edit: here ya go, this is what I mean:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-in-Square-Lazy-Susan-Turntable-with-400-lb-Load-Rating-49548/203661089

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 16, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m at home and don’t have access to my KitchenAid mixer. What are some good meat grinders?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Where can I get this pan thing at 1:11?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKl0J-H4kQ0

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

obi_ant posted:

Where can I get this pan thing at 1:11?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKl0J-H4kQ0

Here: https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metallic-Professional-Non-Stick-13-Inch/dp/B003YKGRG4

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks! She was calling it a grill pan and that wasn't what it was.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m at home and don’t have access to my KitchenAid mixer. What are some good meat grinders?

Not to be a bother, but I kinda need a rec on this like now-ish, so I can buy it today or tomorrow and get it by Memorial Day.

I don’t need anything fancy. I searched for STX on Amazon and those have a bunch of fancy (read: expensive) bells and whistles I don’t think I need. I’m looking for something reliable that’s hopefully easy to clean.

EDIT: I found this one that’s cheaper and looks like it’s closer to my needs. It’s got good reviews, but I wonder if anyone here knows of anything else.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 22, 2018

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Here’s a rec: buy one using information gathered somewhere other than a something awful thread. At least don’t be demanding when helpful people don’t have a broad range of experience with a fairly niche product.

E: Kenji likes this manual one that’s 30 bucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2VLSNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7vibBbNSAFT5Q

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 22, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lawnie posted:

Here’s a rec: buy one using information gathered somewhere other than a something awful thread. At least don’t be demanding when helpful people don’t have a broad range of experience with a fairly niche product.

E: Kenji likes this manual one that’s 30 bucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2VLSNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7vibBbNSAFT5Q

Ooh, that one might work. Thanks. :)

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
If you just need ground meat, you can do it in a food processor well enough. Cut into small chunks, freeze for 10 or 15 minutes, then pulse. I just did a pork tenderloin like that for Bolognese and it turned out great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Automator posted:

If you just need ground meat, you can do it in a food processor well enough. Cut into small chunks, freeze for 10 or 15 minutes, then pulse. I just did a pork tenderloin like that for Bolognese and it turned out great.

I already ordered the grinder. Plus we don’t have a food processor, and even if we did you don’t get a proper grind from food processors.

Also I just found out the place I’m buying the meat from will do custom grinds, so I don’t even really need the grinder but it’s gonna be here tomorrow regardless. I’m sure we’ll find a use for it later, right?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 23, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
repost from YOSPOS because i thought it was hilarious

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

chefs mostly use cheap knives, as disposable items. they put them through unimaginable wear on a daily basis. they have to be replaceable.

it's not like they will be castigated by other chefs for using cheap knives. no one is judging them by their tools...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

One of my favorite restaurants has a semi-open kitchen visible from the counter, and I'm always jealous of the awesome knives they have on the magnetic strips.