Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
With this brass/bronze trend in kitchen decor I wonder how long it'll be before a Kitchenaid shows up in one of those colours. Or a brass housing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There’s already a bronze KitchenAid mixer. It looks p nice too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Anne Whateley posted:

A stand mixer isn't required, it's just a nice-to-have. Lurk Craigslist for awhile and pick up a used one for like $100. Even if you hate the color, you can repaint it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

I want this

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

I want this

same, but in Pro 600 flavor

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I'm pretty sure that one's hand painted but there are plenty of decal sets made for the various KA stand mixers.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I mean they have copper and copper pearl finishes but those aren't naturally antibiotic or anything

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thanks for the tip about craigslist, ended up scooping a barely used pro 600 for a really nice price. Time to make pizzas!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a good (preferably cheap) mini scale that measures in the hundredths of grams? I have a KD-8000 already, and I love it, but it only measures in whole grams. Having a second smaller one that measures .01 grams would be nice for baking poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any 10 dollar drug dealer scale on Amazon will work

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there a good (preferably cheap) mini scale that measures in the hundredths of grams? I have a KD-8000 already, and I love it, but it only measures in whole grams. Having a second smaller one that measures .01 grams would be nice for baking poo poo.

my vote is to give away your kd-8000

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I already posted this, but I'm going to post again because I'm actually really impressed.

if you are in the market for a kitchen scale, especially one for bread, forget the kd-8000 and go straight for the maestro

it's basically the same price (comes in lower than the kd8k + ac adapter, and it includes an adapter) and it is a pretty big upgrade in several ways

key differences, from least to most important:

1) softer touch buttons, with a more responsive ui
2) more pleasing beeps
3) better form factor, with a slightly larger weighing platform and less vertical height
4) it shows you how close to overloading the scale you are, so you don't damage it
5) detachable display
6) slide-out 0.1g scale
7) it's all black so that's obviously a huge perk

it's basically what happens when you ask michael ruhlman how to design the perfect kitchen scale. he takes the kd-8000 and overhauls it.

or you can buy a $10 drug scale on amazon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

my vote is to give away your kd-8000

or you can buy a $10 drug scale on amazon

The scale you’re recommending does tenths and not hundredths, right?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

yes, it does

i have an american weigh x 0.01g scale for sensitive stuff and it's been great so far

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Subjunctive posted:

correct, but I haven't ever found a need for hundredths in the kitchen personally. have you?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

correct, but I haven't ever found a need for hundredths in the kitchen personally. have you?

No, but that’s what the poster you were replying to was asking for, so :shrug:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

No, but that’s what the poster you were replying to was asking for, so :shrug:

I thought you were that poster, sorry

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Pizza Bible recommends a scale that can measure in the hundredths. Some of their ingredient measurements are in the hundredths.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
best to avoid being a pizza heretic i suppose

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lol who loving cares about hundredths of grams

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Prescriptivst bread nazis, apparently

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

Lol who loving cares about hundredths of grams

Tony Gemignani, apparently :shrug:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grey Thermapens are on sale for 25% off, if anyone cares.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I will say, while you don't actually need accuracy down to a hundredth of a gram for most kitchen applications, the scales that can do so are usually much more precise than the larger ones. If you've ever tried to measure small quantities (under about 5 grams or so) of things on one of the larger scales that only goes down to single grams, you may have found it's very hard to actually get a reliable measurement. Serious Eats usually recommends measuring by volume instead of weight for very small quantities for exactly that reason. The drug dealer scales, on the other hand, are much better at measuring stuff in that range.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My mom has been talking about a Dutch oven recipe she wants to try, but she doesn't actually own one, so my siblings and I are thinking of going in together to get her a Dutch oven. What should we be looking for when shopping for one (manufacturer, size, shape etc.)?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

C-Euro posted:

My mom has been talking about a Dutch oven recipe she wants to try, but she doesn't actually own one, so my siblings and I are thinking of going in together to get her a Dutch oven. What should we be looking for when shopping for one (manufacturer, size, shape etc.)?

If you and your siblings are willing to spend $$$, this is the way to go and one of you will end up inheriting it when your mom kicks it.

If price is a concern, go with this.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Midniter posted:

If you and your siblings are willing to spend $$$, this is the way to go and one of you will end up inheriting it when your mom kicks it.

If price is a concern, go with this.

If you go for the LC, check out Marshalls and HomeGoods and Ross and the rest of those stores if any are near you. They occasionally have Le Creuset or Staub products at about 1/3 the cost.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cuisinart enameled cast iron is good in my experience. Costs way less than Le Creuset, cooks food just as cooked.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a lodge enamel Dutch oven and it works great and it was like $50

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks, so I should be looking for something that's enameled? Is 7 qt too large, or should we just get the big one and let her worry about filling it?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
ATK just did a full review of dutch ovens the other day. It's a great watch, and informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW1eyYD0zI

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, so I should be looking for something that's enameled? Is 7 qt too large, or should we just get the big one and let her worry about filling it?

Always get the bigger/better one. The feeling of outgrowing the medium model but you can't upgrade because then you'll have 2 that are nearly the same suuuuuuucks.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Human Tornada posted:

Always get the bigger/better one. The feeling of outgrowing the medium model but you can't upgrade because then you'll have 2 that are nearly the same suuuuuuucks.

This has been my experience, I have a super nice dutch oven... that is just a size too small, I can't justify getting a bigger one, and its just painful trying to make big dishes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

C-Euro posted:

bigger is better up until the point it's unwieldy for the user. 6/7 is really good and only a little bit annoying to move around.

worth noting that LC are usually lighter weight than cheaper brands. they are expensive but i really do like my LC stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s a good mandoline these days? The stand on my old Benriner is wobbly in a way I can’t seem to fix, and it feels like the blade is kinda dull (as I might expect after 10ish years of use).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

What’s a good mandoline these days? The stand on my old Benriner is wobbly in a way I can’t seem to fix, and it feels like the blade is kinda dull (as I might expect after 10ish years of use).

A new Benriner.

I have an oxo one. The nicer model. More accurately, I had an oxo one, and I gave it away after trying a Benriner.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

TheCog posted:

This has been my experience, I have a super nice dutch oven... that is just a size too small, I can't justify getting a bigger one, and its just painful trying to make big dishes.
If you have a round one, get an oval, and if you have an oval, get a round. bing bong justified

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TheCog posted:

that is just a size too small, I can't justify getting a bigger one, and its just painful trying to make big dishes.

Seems like the bolded part IS justification to get a bigger one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doom Rooster posted:

ATK just did a full review of dutch ovens the other day. It's a great watch, and informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW1eyYD0zI

This is actually one of the shittiest reviews they ever done. Usually they demonstrate a compelling argument on why their choice is the best choice (ie metallurgy testing on knives) but in this it was basically: we banged the lids like an idiot and some chipped, buy this expensive model through our affiliate link.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

wormil posted:

This is actually one of the shittiest reviews they ever done. Usually they demonstrate a compelling argument on why their choice is the best choice (ie metallurgy testing on knives) but in this it was basically: we banged the lids like an idiot and some chipped, buy this expensive model through our affiliate link.

that's all of atk's review videos. they've been spamming them like crazy lately and they all suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
poo poo, y'all are right. It really has gone from cool sciency testing to "Let's bang some lids and drop them off the counter". Except the heavy duty cutting board from a few weeks ago. That was robots slicing a million times, and oil absorption rate testing.

Other than that though... drat....