Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, honestly, we had a home sized deep fryer for a while before it started acting up/stopped working (as they always seem to do) and I'm in no rush to replace it. It's really less hassle to just use a dutch oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Swagger Dagger posted:

How non-stick do carbon steel pans get? I'm in the middle of moving right now, and all I could take with me is some gifted all-clad stuff, so I'm wondering if one would be a good purchase in addition to/instead of a cheap teflon pan.

They're noticeably more nonstick than stainless but it's still not the same level as teflon and stuff like that, e.g. you won't be able to cook eggs with no oil in it. I work in a place that uses all carbon steel pans and if we did a ton of eggs at brunch I would absolutely lobby to get some nonstick in.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, they definitely used oil.

But yeah, to clarify, I would have no issue frying eggs in them at home, but under pressure it's nice to be able to just dump eggs into a cold pan with minimal lubrication and have zero stickage.

Thoht fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 1, 2015

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

We used that waffle maker at the place I used to work. It is indeed the poo poo.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

TheQuietWilds posted:

Kitchenaid 6qt Pro arrived today! Gonna have to bake something fun tomorrow with my girlfriend. Because I hate money, are any of the kitchenaid accessories worth purchasing or are they all just kind afterthoughts that don't really work well enough to justify?

I like the pasta roller a lot. Supposedly the meat grinder is ok if for smaller scale batches but the sausage stuffer sucks. Lots of people like getting a beater blade.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You can get just the roller without the cutter and it's like $64 on amazon atm.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I cook more beans in my pressure cooker than anything else. Just squirt a tablespoon or two of oil in with the water to reduce foaming. Even that's probably unnecessary. I've got the presto and I've found that 1# of beans to 6C water for 32-35 minutes usually comes out perfect for me.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The Midniter posted:

That's without soaking, right?

Correct.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Or the rubber rings from canning (shoutout CdC).

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, aeropress would be my rec.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Bacon cure usually has sugar in it which is why if you start it in a dry pan from low heat it can stick like a mofo. Just keep cooking in it regularly, ideally for high heat stuff at first, and you'll get your seasoning back.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'm not going to heat my oven up just to cook a couple pieces of loving bacon.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I am going down a rabbit hole I am not prepared for.

:getin:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, Dawn is pretty much the ultimate, short of really nasty degreasers. It cuts grease like you wouldn't believe.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You can remove/sharpen Benriner blades as well.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Rubber o-rings from canning jars under each corner.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

If you get just the roller without the cutters, it's about half the price.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, don't bother.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Got my king 6k/1k a few days ago and today sat down and did all my knives, super happy with it, thanks for the recommendation. Took a little time to learn (man is it ever harder to sharpen a curved blade) and I’m sure my technique isn’t perfect but my knives feel great, used one immediately after and couldn’t be happier with the performance.

Hell yeah, dude. Have fun dialing in your technique.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Seriously, there's no reason not to use stainless for shakshuka. It's made for poo poo like that.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, having worked in kitchens I can confirm that is the One True Scale.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I don't think you lose a really noticeable amount of moisture from whole pieces of meat when you puncture them. Sausages can lose a lot of juice that way though.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I will say, while you don't actually need accuracy down to a hundredth of a gram for most kitchen applications, the scales that can do so are usually much more precise than the larger ones. If you've ever tried to measure small quantities (under about 5 grams or so) of things on one of the larger scales that only goes down to single grams, you may have found it's very hard to actually get a reliable measurement. Serious Eats usually recommends measuring by volume instead of weight for very small quantities for exactly that reason. The drug dealer scales, on the other hand, are much better at measuring stuff in that range.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I saw this griddle article pop up on serious eats the other day. I don't have any experience with the griddles mentioned so I can't vouch for it personally.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

Anyone have a 4-5” utility knife they like? Looking to pick one up for my wife, and I like window shopping online.

I like the MAC Professional 5".

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts about using carbon steel as one's non stick pan (except for acidic things) instead of a teflon pan? I'm in a spot where my current non-stick pans need to be replaced, and that situation where the non-stick coating is partially gone, but not quite enough to justify getting a new one really sucks since it drags on for a year or so of having a pan that's not quite bad enough to replace.

I've hemmed and hawed about the same thing myself. I will say, having worked with carbon steel pans pretty extensively, they're never going to be the same as Teflon. They're more forgiving than stainless, for sure, but it's not like non-stick where you can just put something into a cold pan and be fine. I like them a lot but I don't know that they precisely fill the same role.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the instant pot insert stovetop safe? Can't you just put it on a burner, sear/pop spices/whatever, and then put it back in?
Edit: no it is not. My bad.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Food dehydrator recommendations? We’re going to have a lot of produce from the garden this year and would like to be able to preserve some stuff dried. I’m in a big city so I have access to any major big box store, but I would prefer to buy used if there are any particularly common decent models.

I think it's pretty hard to go wrong with an Excalibur, if you have the space.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There is always the suspended blade attachments for food processors. I speak from cheeseperience.

Yeah, this is the way to go if you need a large amount.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've liked gas better than induction. Granted, I was using commercial gas ranges and the induction "burners" I compared it to were the standalone portable ones, which might not be the greatest. I just feel like I had finer control with gas. For more delicate stuff, it always felt like I couldn't quite get the perfect level with induction - it was either too low or too high.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You can always just use a small bowl or ramekin, but I suppose that's not as fun.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I had never heard of these words before today, but how very French. Cheers, I'm looking into them now.

Pro-tip: you can use a 2-oz ladle to help pass stuff through a chinois quickly.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Giant Metal Robot posted:

The exterior is the part that's exposed. The interior is stainless and unmarred. I'm assuming the pot is safe, but I don't know if there's an issue with exposing the raw aluminum to my gas range. Aluminum vapors?

Tons of food service places use aluminum pots and pans that aren't anodized. I wouldn't worry about it.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't believe you can season aluminum the same way you can cast iron/carbon steel.

You can season aluminum and stainless pans and it'll make them a little more non-stick. There's just less of an incentive than with cast iron and carbon steel, where you have to worry about rust.

Thoht fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 4, 2023

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

That type of knife is actually sharpened differently to Western or German knives, with a very steep angle on one side and essentially no cutting edge on the other. Worth looking up and doing some research, it will be a little more challenging to sharpen yourself. Looks great though! I'm sure you can use some food-safe oil on it, I'm actually not sure what's normally used.

Hmm, I thought sujihikis were usually double bevel, as opposed to yanagiba.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hard to go wrong with Cambro for dry goods storage.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

When I moved last year and the new house had induction, I got this set from Cuisinart. They have a nice feel to them, they all work with induction, and I think they'd cover most people's needs for stainless.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I got the 8" Fletchers' pepper mill based on this shootout from Serious Eats and I've been very happy with it.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I got these pads for my induction cooktop and have been a big fan. No more worrying about the cast iron scratching it up.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

That Works posted:

I've been very happy with the Cuisinart MCP-12 set for years now. Works on induction, sturdy stuff, looks decent enough and all oven safe etc.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/cookware/stylish-cookware-sets/mcp-12n/

Shows $219 there but I got mine vastly discounted on an open box deal from Amazon warehouse or something years ago.

Seconding these. I got the MCP-7, which is just a subset of the MCP-12, and they've been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Just wanna throw it out there that we previously had only a stovetop pressure cooker and I also assumed there'd be little or no point to switching to an electric one. Then we happened to win an instant pot in a raffle and I have to say I would never go back. For me at least, the electric pressure cooker is a much more convenient experience.