Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Mandoline recommendations? Looking for something under, say $75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My dog's stainless food and water bowls sound like exactly what you're looking for. Probably more expensive than restaurant supply, though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I know we already had instant pot chat on this page, but I'm trying to decide if I should get a traditional stovetop pressure cooker (a bit wary because my stove's BTU output is miserable) or an instant pot (wary that it can't pressurize as high as a traditional pressure cooker). Please help goons. Assume I'm spending ~$100.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Subconsciously I knew I was going to get the thing with the digital controller on the front. Thanks all.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bartlebee posted:

If I were to buy a Baking Steel TM, what's going to be the practical difference between buying the rectangle one versus the circular one?

Maybe slightly more heat transfer at the corners of the steel than the sides. Otherwise, if the thickness and diameter of the circle are the same as the thickness and the height of the square one, there's no difference but weight.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

the littlest prince posted:

I couldn't manage to get the mix through the tip but I don't think it was the bag's fault. The mix was really thick. Instead I just made little finger sized strips, and they came out pretty well I think. Not as light as I'm used to, but I think it came out roughly the way it was supposed to.

Not sure how you could make the right shape without special hardware.

From what I understand, piping takes a lot of practice, my dude. Don't feel bad. You can try spraying the inside of the bag with Pam before putting the batter in, which might help it slide out a bit more easily.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

gently caress yeh time for some weed-smoked cheeses!

Nice name/post combo

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Funny things get said from time to time, but this actually caused me to spit take onto my desk.

Thank you for this.

For content: I see a lot of recipes and stuff refer to Maldon salt for finishing. What is Maldon. Yes I could google, but I like talking poo poo out with you lot.

[edit]

3 things:

1) this is sad. Condolences.

2) Fitness chick's last name was "burger". I love it.

3) Reasonable or not, I always kind of think about what would happen if the blade on my vitamix shot off. I'm pretty sure it would go up, but for some reason, in my imagination, it frisbees, full force, into my gut. For this reason, I don't let my 4 year old watch me at eye-counter level when I make smoothies and poo poo.

Crazy, I know.

It would not go up. That's not where its momentum is pointing, unless you're talking about it somehow acting as a propeller.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I just oil my cast iron up and throw it into the oven while it cools after cooking dinner. It helps maintain the season, or so I tell myself. I'm pretty tempted to try to cut one up and see what a good season looks like in cross-section, to be honest.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

zenguitarman posted:

Sorry if I missed Grill Chat and maybe someone can redirect me towards it, but we were just gifted a small O-Grill and while it's nice for camping, I'd like to buy a larger grill for the home, but ideally under $400... is this doable? Also, I'm not very handy, is it a prerequisite to be able to fix your own grill if something in it breaks?

It's a new world to me, I only know Webers are kind of standard procedure... I don't need it to be a huge, 3-tiered beast with the flanking hot plates, but something where I won't be crowding the grill with three to four large-ish items. And gas. I also have a Walmart gift card fwiw.

There's a BBQ thread, they might have better advice than here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

That said, first decide if you want gas or charcoal. Then look for a grill with thick steel walls and a large enough cooking surface. You can find a decent grill for under $400 I'm almost positive. Mine was ~$150 on Amazon and it's perfectly serviceable, operates as a smoker, too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

My wife bought me an 8-quart Instant Pot for our tenth anniversary.

I'm already looking up recipes. Is ... is this thing really as magical as it seems to be?

Stock in an hour!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Sheeeit. I haven't done the side by side taste test myself yet but according to Dave Arnold closed pressure cookers make better tasting stock than open pressure cookers. And I thought I got a steal on my 7qt Kuhn Rikon for $165.

I honestly miss being able to properly sauté in the instant pot compared to a stovetop pressure kit, but it does do a reasonable facsimile of a real sauté. You just have to allow more time to reheat before adding more ingredients.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

Intreating. Mine makes no-soak beans acceptably well, but not near as good as an overnight soak then slow cook on the stove. Has anyone done dry beans in their instant pot ?

Yeah, I'll chuck dry black beans into a pot with some chicken thighs, a bit of stock, and flavoring poo poo to make quinoa bowl filling for lunches. I've never eaten beans very often but they come out tasting just fine to me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Use a metal fish turner. There is such a thing as too careful with your non-stick.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Since apparently 18 months is longer than I should expect the heating element in an electric kettle to last, anybody got any recommendations? Must hold water at temp for at least an hour, have customizable temperature settings, over 1.5 L. Must not be Bona Vita brand, who hosed me and I can't recommend.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Did you email their support? They've sent me two replacements.

Hah, maybe I was foolish to have made a warranty claim. Oh well, the lid on mine was shot anyway. Thanks for the recommendations, all. I know I should just get a zojirushi but they're so pricey.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

the littlest prince posted:

The writing on my cheapo plastic deep fryer is wiping off. This includes the temperature scale, so if it eventually goes away entirely I will eventually forget where to set the slider. Anyone know if there's a type of marker I can use to replace the previous markings that will avoid this?

sharpie makes a super-permanent variant that holds up against even acetone. It won't last forever and will wear off eventually, but you have a sharpie and can re-apply as needed.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

So this is how my range works. Single coil on the left side, dual coil on the right side.

Moved my sausage/marina over to this burner to simmer while I started my noodles.

I thought I had it set to single burner low (7 o'clock) but really it was pointing to 1 o'clock (dual death burner high)

Slid my dutch oven over to that burner. Put my noodle water on the other burner, set it to high. Went in the other room and started to setup my new wifi router. 10-15 minutes later, I smell burning. Kitchen is full of smoke. gently caress.

So now I need to buy another enameled dutch oven and I really hate that stove. I've caught myself doing that before but didn't catch it fast enough this time. :argh:

I hate double-ender (:dong:) dials. They should put a light or something on the active end of the dial. Right now there's just a small bit of white paint. I think I'm going to get some orange vinyl sticker or something.

Stick a powerful magnet adjacent to the ends of the double burner band. Tape a toothpick to the knob, sticking out past the outer diameter of the knob. Now you have a machine guard in place that you have to consciously disengage to use the double burner. Plus the knob would be asymmetric so you'd know which end is the business end.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Just go to your local goodwill and find something vaguely bowl-shaped. I use small ramekins if I need to have a separate quantity from my main salt bowl.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

10 or 12 inch cimeter knife for home use? I feel like 10" is probably big enough but they are about the same price. 12" might be annoying to store.

VVVVVVVV Holy poo poo I haven't seen a page like that since Geocities went offline.

I have a 12 inch chef’s knife and it’s just a bit too much knife for me. I’m an average sized American man, FWIW.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
PSA; Don’t buy Maverick brand probe thermometers. I have a remote probe for smoking and it’s fine to poo poo, not reading correctly on an original probe and a brand new replacement in both ports.

That said, hopefully y’all will keep an eye out for thermoworks sales this season. I’m going to replace mine once and for all with the right thermometer.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Try a silicone pad for baking or a plastic cutting board laid on top of a wet paper towel. Neither of these are permanent solutions, for what it’s worth.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I bought an immersion blender at ALDI for $20. It has one button operation and has done exactly what I need it to for a few months now. I’m skeptical of its long-term vitality but I like it for now.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Which sous vide immersion circulator do we like these days? There are so many. I don’t really care about WiFi, FWIW.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Arcsech posted:

I have this Anova and it works fine.

Does anyone think the extra 100 watts are worth the $30 bucks to go up to the WiFi model?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Thanks all, I ordered the one with WiFi for the extra power. The first time I put too much product in the bag, I’m sure I’ll appreciate having the extra power.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I recently got a half-sheet aluminum baking pan and noticed that when I put it in the oven the bottom gets scratched up by the grates. Is there a problem with the pan, the grates, or both?

It’s not really a problem at all, other than cosmetic. You’re scratching the aluminum oxide that naturally and quickly forms on bare aluminum. Don’t worry about damaging what is a glorified piece of sheet metal.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Smdh if you don’t get our your 12” chef’s knife to cut orange wedges for breakfast.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Enameled Dutch oven, never look back.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My enameled Dutch oven is from Aldi. I have a pretty hard time justifying spending a ton on cast iron products, personally, but even at $30, it’s a decent piece of cookware.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

An amazing garlic press on sale here. I paid ~$40, and it was worth it.

Why not just microplane it? That’s how I do 80% of my garlic these days.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Here’s a rec: buy one using information gathered somewhere other than a something awful thread. At least don’t be demanding when helpful people don’t have a broad range of experience with a fairly niche product.

E: Kenji likes this manual one that’s 30 bucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2VLSNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7vibBbNSAFT5Q

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 22, 2018

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Get him a big green egg smoker

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Get the 6 inch curved semi-stiff to start with. It’s almost certainly the right length and shape, but YMMV with the stiffness.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Sell the egg to buy a working fridge

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’m not recommending this but you could remove birds from your home and put it in a bitchin hot oven for a while. Alternatively do it on a grill. Might volatilize it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

recs for enameled dutch ovens? i need a big one, at least 6QTs and light inside color finish only

i finally got a chip on my 10 year old martha stewart one so i'll retire it.

as much as i'd like a le cruset the prices are nuts

ALDI occasionally sells exactly what you’re looking for, usually around $30 USD.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If your pans are warped, it’s probably because they were heated or cooled too quickly too many times. Warping comes from mismatched thermal strain, which is exacerbated by rapid changes in temperature.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Reportedly, the US chicken industry is heavily subsidized by penal labor: https://www.revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Good coffee grinders for grinding spices?

Get a hand crank burr grinder from amazon.