Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

you do not have place settings for six if you cannot serve all guests their tea <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

whos that broooown posted:

i got an ooni pizza oven. man i hope this works.

Post trip report please! We're definitely getting one (or a competitor) as soon as we buy a house, but that could be a year away.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Imo, clip on digital with alarm. That way you can set it and prep other things while it heats up, same for rebounding between batches. I used to have a cheap Polder I can't find online any more, then sister bought me a Thermoworks ChefAlarm which is $52 + shipping. I also use it for candy and as a general kitchen timer.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Inside microwave (after it has cooled a bit so it doesn't steam itself) or on a tall shelf works for us

Aluminum foil works in general! It's annoying to keep on the counter every day, but if you have something in particular to protect, it works great.

Note some of the clips here are abuse, so please use your judgment. Cats are assholes but don't toy with them for your amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haf1OJWk-T0

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Boris Galerkin posted:

Aluminum foil does nothing except waste a bunch of foil, and doublesided tape does nothing either and just just steps all over them. Feeding her before taking stuff out of the oven also doesn’t work because she has like 5 impossibly sized stomachs and will just show up out of no where to smell what she thinks I’m cooking for her. Microwave idea sounds great as long as I can co it before putting it in. There are no counters high enough in the kitchen that she can’t get onto. Zero. The joys of owning a cat.

Let me know what works, and especially if you can stop a cat from waking you up at 5 am by destroying progressively more expensive upholstery.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I bought a ~Blue Diamond~ ceramic egg pan from a local store because it was $20 and that was impulse buy range for me. It's doing great after probably 10 dishwasher cycles since Christmas with no degradation. Not long enough to say for sure it'll last but promising start. The only gripe I have is that the handle is thin aluminum and gets hot easily.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The dishwasher saves water and time. We have to run it twice a day anyhow due to baby bottles, and time is at an ultra premium.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Continuation of warp chat- deglazing is generally okay because it's a small amount of liquid and the pan is not scorching hot yeah?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lawnie posted:

I got 2 pairs of kitchen tweezers for Christmas. They’re incredible and I do not know how I managed without them for so long. Strong recommend.

I had these on my wish list, didn't get them, and opted to try 14" chopsticks instead for price reasons. They're great, but I still might get the tweezers because I was drunk frying the other day which made the sticks much less effective :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm waiting until economies of scale bring those sweet FLIR camera / module prices down

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's not a big problem. Yeah it won't work for pancakes, but for searing stuff before braising it just means you stir every couple minutes (after the first piece of meat releases)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dave Arnold talked about this on Cooking Issues around January 7. His restaurateur guest said he calls the supplier after he places the order to specify which manufacturer he wants, since otherwise they grab a random batch.

He didn't actually mention which manufacturer is the good one though, sorry!

I assume the increase in delivery dining has increased demand --> production --> quality drop.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

wormil posted:

I have an Ozeri zk14, $14 on Amazon, I tested and it's accurate. Had it for about 2 3 years now.

Just want to say I'm very happy for forums search now. Of all the recs in this thread, this one is the right combination of short form-factor and price point, thanks for sharing it :)

e: right on the money so far!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 9, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My only rec is go big as you can afford. When we upgraded to 24" wide it changed our lives in the kitchen!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CMRQUW it's annoying to clean but so worth it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you use soup recipes for your friction-heat-in-vitamix soups, or are you making your own on the fly? I have a Vitamix book but my wife is suspicious of corporation cook books so we usually do 90% of the work on the stove and it doesn't save any time.

It still gets smooth as hell which is nice, just not as convenient.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean there's also the high cost per dose 8 gram cartridges which you can get a very very small setup if space is more important than price. Keyword to find those is "siphon".

If you have a cabinet you can store the 5 lb tank I highly recommend that setup though!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you gently caress up a fair amount w a co2 tank you and your family can die quickly but very painfully in your sleep

5 lbs of CO2 is 2 people's 24 hr exhalations. That all leaking in 5 minutes would be bad, but you'd hear it. There may be a dangerous leak rate that would be slow enough not to hear but fast enough to accumulate against our HVAC, maybe. In any case, it's downstairs in a closet and we sleep upstairs so no risk at all for us. Once my kid can walk and defeat child safety door knobs I'll lock it like my liquor.

E: the most likely injury is a minor cut from plastic shrapnel if you reuse a bottle 100 times. Another concern would be rupture and projectile tank, so keeping it strapped upright is important and only let professionals refill it.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 25, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I like Anne Whateley's aesthetic.

Who is she and what is her aesthetic? Google says it’s William Shakespear’s wife / mistress

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've looked into the kitchenaid stand mixer thing a few times and it's just a giant mess, with the multiple model ranges, the metal vs nylon gears, and the cheaper motor vs the more powerful one.

can someone just tell me what model I want? is there a current-production model with the more powerful motor and the metal gears, or a historical model that I should look for on ebay/craigslist/whatever? I think the risk of hard jamming it and burning out the motor is less than the danger of the nylon stripping, so I'm fine with that. Or is that not really worth the price premium? are the costco bundles sufficiently cheap here that it's just worth getting that and not worrying about it?

These days, I buy all my appliances and tech stuff from Costco if I can. Their return policy on broken items is just too good for my worried brain to pass up. Kinda makes the anxiety of "will it break the motor or nylon gears right after the manufacturer's warranty runs out?" a moot one.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

xtal posted:

Costco gets specific, crappy versions of appliances in some cases. I believe they have their own models of KitchenAid stand mixers, vitamix blenders and instant pots.

This got me curious, so when I was there today I snapped a few pics to investigate later. I also read some articles, which cautioned against buying TVs or toilet paper from Costco, but I didn't evaluate those claims. I was most interested in common things for this thread, plus one thing I'm thinking of buying myself.

Vitamix:
code:
Costco E320			Vitamix's official store E310
$320				$310
64 oz				48 oz
Includes smoothie cup		Nope
Wider container			Narrower
2.2 HP				2.0 HP (though HP in blenders doesn't really matter when blade length is so different)
Reviews mention needs
more tamping than
narrower E310
So better deal for your money, bigger capacity but that could be a negative if you do small batches, the smoothie cup can help with that.

Instant Pot:Same model name, same listed features, same price. Can't guarantee it's the same SKU, but if you want to dig Costco's is 112-0125-01

Kitchenaid, which is what OP asked about : Only feature difference is Costco $350 KP26M9PC is 590W vs Amazon's $800 KP26M1XER (lol) 575W, which I'm sure is a negligible difference. One comment was a 2nd hand report of Costco's bowl sitting a bit too low for the scraper to reach bottom, but the lift mechanism is adjustable with a flat-blade screwdriver so actually not an issue. :siren: Probably more important for lots of people: Costco seems to only come in red and silver :siren:

DJI Mini 2 Drone, which I'm seriously considering as a birthday gift to myself: Costco CP.MA.00000367.01 vs. DJI store bare or kit I think CP.MA.00000306.01
code:
Costco				DJI store bare			DJI Kit				a la carte
$440				$450				$600
2 batteries			1 battery			3 batteries			$55 each (official)
1x spare props			1x spare props			3x spare propellers 		$12 each pair (official. Cheaper for knockoffs)
ok quality case			no case				nice leather case		$39 nice leather case
32 gb micro sd			no card				no card				$cheap
charge only in drone		charge only in drone		standalone 3x charger hub	$40 official, $27 knockoff 2x charger
Seems like for everything I'm checking, Costco comes out ahead, without dumbed down features, with the bonus of Costco's amazing return policy in case you do decide it stinks. I wouldn't buy any big ticket item there without checking to make sure that item isn't one of the ones that gets watered down, but the above seem like no brainers to me. Unless you prefer Kitchenaids with tilt-heads or different colors, or want a Vitamix with the program settings.

BraveUlysses posted:

they often have different upcs that other stores but that doesnt mean the products are inferior

Seems like it. Sorry for spergin, I'm the type that has a photo album on my phone of random prices from different stores so I can price compare later.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 23, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Paul MaudDib posted:

one of the problems I'm referencing is that some of the important features here are not directly advertised. wattage doesn't matter as much as DC vs AC, there's worm-drive vs planetary gearbox, within the worm-drive there are three different tiers with progressively weaker gears.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/7cqhg5/kitchenaid_mixer_question/dpwezwe/

This is fair. I looked for a teardown / under the hood review / accessory compatability chart of the current Costco offering and couldn't find one. Good luck on your research! It may be worthwhile to you, if it matters a lot to you, to be that guy who buys one, peeks inside, and returns it if dissatisfied. If you do, make a public post about it! If not, enjoy your hunt for a good deal sure thing :)

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Heck yeah this post owns. Keep doing it.

Aww thanks. I hit one of those awkward times of day where it wasn't enough time to nap or do anything else productive.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you have access to a library or college 3d printer? They're usually free or very cheap to use, materials included.

If so, I'd look for cutlery or desk organizers https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=cutlery&type=things&sort=relevant https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=desk+organizer&type=things&sort=relevant note the skull option!

If not, I'd just hit a local kitchen supply store or IKEA and get something intended to set on tables or at coffee stations. Amazon has options, but local will be cheaper.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Quick update in case you consider this. Definitely not a kitchen thing but since I posted it once here, I figure it's worth correcting the record. The charging hub closes the gap a bit more, and it would be very nice since charging the batteries one at a time, in the drone, is annoying, takes a long time, and I think my cats might want to eat propellers if I am not careful.

This is a fantastic toy, by the way. Intrigued a hummingbird though, so careful where you fly!

BrianBoitano posted:

DJI Mini 2 Drone, which I'm seriously considering as a birthday gift to myself: Costco CP.MA.00000367.01 vs. DJI store bare or kit I think CP.MA.00000306.01
code:
Costco				DJI store bare			DJI Kit				a la carte
$440				$450				$600
2 batteries			1 battery			3 batteries			$55 each (official)
1x spare props			1x spare props			3x spare propellers 		$12 each pair (official. Cheaper for knockoffs)
ok quality case			no case				nice leather case		$39 nice leather case
32 gb micro sd			no card				no card				$cheap
charge only in drone		charge only in drone		standalone 3x charger hub	$40 official, $27 knockoff 2x charger

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh God Biden got to them :freep:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

hell yeah AvE. I was just about to post that, but by the time it took me to scrub through and listen to his prose, you beat me.

pretty skookum yeah?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Give it a 1 star review and you are likely to get a free pan as a bribe to take down your review.

Then you can leave the 1 star review up because gently caress those guys

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That depends on your local processors but it's very low risk to recycle. If they can't handle it, nbd because they can easily separate it. Small, flimsy things which can gum up the machines are way worse to "fingers crossed recycle"

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Best single burner, 120v induction hot plate under $300? Preferred something with some brains (and a probe?) for hotpot and fry oil temperature control.

Duxtop seems popular but that could just be good marketing.

This is for cooking on the patio. I'm going to do an Ooni 16 for pizza and broiling veggies, induction for everything else. I'm looking forward to smokey sears and messy frying outside!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Were they laminated layers, like all-clad? One review I saw said that was the culprit.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Best single burner, 120v induction hot plate under $300? Preferred something with some brains (and a probe?) for hotpot and fry oil temperature control.

Duxtop seems popular but that could just be good marketing.

This is for cooking on the patio. I'm going to do an Ooni 16 for pizza and broiling veggies, induction for everything else. I'm looking forward to smokey sears and messy frying outside!

Ugh now I am falling for the NuWave Gold infomercial hype. Anyone have direct experience? I can't find a serious cook's review anywhere. I like the look of it for the larger range of temperature and the ability to simmer longer than 90 minutes, as I don't have any other slow cooker.

Also best infrared thermometer that goes to 1000°F for that pizza oven? I'm aware that emissivity and reflectivity impact readings.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dammit my wife likes the look of a 22 cu ft fridge better than the 26 cu ft which also fits the space. The bigger one is $750 cheaper :negative:

Also bump on these two?

BrianBoitano posted:

Ugh now I am falling for the NuWave Gold infomercial hype. Anyone have direct experience?

Also best infrared thermometer that goes to 1000°F for that pizza oven? I'm aware that emissivity and reflectivity impact readings.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If those don't work, I recommend a dishwasher detergent soak

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

How quickly can it liquefy a mouse?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean I could then test every meatball for optimum doneness instead of just a representative sample, so that's nice

Still going to use my janky $25 one until it dies though

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

2 therma 2 pen
Thermapen 3 calibration drift
Therma 7
Pen 15

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd drop $5 on the Cooking Issues Patreon and ask him. Nobody does prosumer and pro equipment opinions like Dave Arnold. He will likely also throw in obscure advice on smoking 3 pork bellies at a time from that one time he ran a smoking 3 pork bellies at a time workshop or something.

A little annoying they started only taking questions from Patrons but they got screwed out of 6 months of Amazon sales of their Searzall so I don't mind.

I just joined and asked a question of my own. If you like I can wait a week and ask yours.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 28, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

captkirk posted:

Wait, I haven't seen an episode in my podcast app for like two months... did the podcast go Patreon only?

No, just search for it again. They created a new feed for ~reasons~. I think they may have spent 30 seconds total mentioning it on the last episode, but I too didn't notice until I asked my question via email and watched out for a new episode which never came.

I figured I had accidentally unsubscribed until I listened and they talked a bit more about the switch, where they said for some reason they can't go back to the other feed to release a 30 second "come to the new feed" thing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I. M. Gei posted:

EDIT: re: Deli Slicer Chat — Bagheera already got something, but I’d still really love some recs on good new slicers, if BrianBoitano’s offer to ask those Patreon guys is still on the table.

Offer still stands, but they didn't do a show this week so my question will be next week then the deli slicer the following week.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just moved and now I have a Whirlpool electric oven, in-wall instead of under stove. God drat it holds onto steam, I think I need to crack the door often to make things actually finish roasting.

Is this typical to electric ovens, in-wall ovens, or just this model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

PageMaster posted:

countertop space

See if there are any unused spaces you can hang it / jam in on a small shelf and never look back

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My microwave is used for boiling water and melting butter exclusively, so the smallest one on the market would probably suffice for me.

Imo buy a kettle and gain happiness. So nice to speed up pasta cooking by ~5 minutes and make tea without worrying about splashing / superheating in the microwave