Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I got my victorinox fibrox 8" chef knife and this is easily the sharpest thing I've ever held.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Ahh, feels good to finally have access to a kitchen. To celebrate I decided to finally get some of the kitchen supplies I've been ogling. The only thing is that I don't have a lot of counter space, so I'm looking into folding tables to give me more room. Can anyone recommend a small folding table that is sturdy enough to do some cooking on? Preferably one at standard counter height.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I've been avoiding oxo for so long and I'm not entirely sure why, but now that most of my equipment is oxo my life is so much easier. Those measuring cups that snap together are so awesome, I don't know how I'll go back to regular cups.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I am going down a rabbit hole I am not prepared for.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

bartlebee posted:

My GIRLFRIEND has gotten a hard-on for the soups we've been cooking recently and wants to invest in a stick/immersion blender. She's looking at this model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3LJB14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_e47eyb96QKXRW

Any critiques on what to look for or if this one's any good? The only thing I remember y'all talking about was making sure the motor was any good so that it didn't burn out. The link in the OP is dead, but I'm assuming it's this one. https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-Blender-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B00ARQVM5O

Please advise, goons; the future of my relationship hangs on the integrity of my tomato basil soup!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Honestly that should be fine. We use something similar in my restaurant and worst case scenario it burns out and we get a new one for $30. Maybe get something with some added attachments if you don't have the equivalent already. Otherwise that's perf good.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I spent half an hour just browsing OXO products on Amazon

And I only spent $120 so I think I came out ok.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Made cookies today and had to use the lovely hand mixer attachment for my stick blender. I want a standing mixer so bad.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Hey what happened to your undying love for the Bosch you whore

If you make lots of bread, listen to Symmetry or get his previous favorite, one of the Bosch Universal Mixers.

If you don't bake bread often, get a Kitchenaid

Bread isn't something I'm super interested in making, so a kitchenaid might be the go-to. Unfortunately I live in a small nyc apartment, so a stand mixer may be a space issue as much as a money issue.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I am thoroughly unimpressed with my cuisinart hand blender. I got the one with the additional attachments (hand mixer and food processor). The hand mixer sucks because the wires on the attachment are super flimsy and bend very easily. More often than not I just fling poo poo everywhere when I try to use it, and it's not strong enough to mix soft cookie dough.

The food processor attachment never worked out of the box. The contact between the blade and the part that spins the blade is too slippery, so with even a bit of force the blade doesn't even bother spinning at all.

The hand blender part works fine, but is very big compared to what I'm used to. There is a safety button on the top of the blender that needs to be held in in order for the blender to work, and I haven't found a way to hold it that is comfortable. The button placement makes zero sense. It's also very loud compared to other stick blenders ive used.

Overall I probably should have shelled out for a better, more expensive, single purpose stick blender.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Looking for a good, not too expensive roasting pan, preferably with a rack, and large enough to hold a decent-sized chicken.

Currently looking at this 18 inch granite ware covered roaster, but I'm not sure how good granite ware is at roasting, and I'd have to get a rack as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-0509...ds=roasting+pan

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Also taking recs on breadmakers. My girlfriend has this one, and I like it a lot, but wondering if there's something better for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CB...rds=bread+maker

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 5, 2017

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

At my last restaurant we had a vitamix and it is def worth the investment. We would make chili oil with it, and the friction inside one of those things after blending dried chilis with oil created enough heat to start the cooking process.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I managed to find an electric kettle at a tea shop that is adjustable and only cost $50, but it doesn’t have numbers. It has a dial with notches, and specific markings for black teas (boiling) and green tea, but you can adjust between the two depending on your preference. It’s some random brand but I love it to death, haven’t had a single problem with it after religious usage for almost two years.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The Gvode Flex Edge Beater for KitchenAid Tilt-Head Stand Mixer 4.5 and 5 Quart (White) is on sale for $13.35 for the next hour and 20 minutes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Yo, is there anything I need to look for specifically in a cutting board? I see the cheap ones being bamboo and the expensive ones being acacia, is there a meaningful difference?

Not sure what the diff between those woods are, but I’d recommend a rubber board. They’re what we used in my old restaurant and they’re fantastic. They’re sanitary, easily washed, and can be sanded down easily if you gently caress them up. The color changes after a lot of use, but if you soak it in bleach overnight it’ll come out bone white and looking brand new. A decent sized one will run you around $35 from a restaurant supply store and will last forever.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Moved to a new place and looking to get a rice cooker. Is it worth getting an instant pot and just using that? I was going to get a pressure cooker anyway and I feel like I can kill two birds with one stone. But I also really love good quality rice and don’t want to get something that makes sub par rice.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I just had the brain wave of using my induction burner to make ice cream. It worked great except that when you clip a digital thermometer/alarm probe to a pan being heated by induction, it freaks the main thermometer device right out. I grabbed my silicone pot holder as an improvised shield, but has anyone got a really clever solution for this problem? Current notions rattling around my brain are wrapping the pot clip in tape, or putting one of those flimsy rubber jar lid grabbers between the clip and the pot.

Not sure if this is a solution, but maybe a laser thermometer?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I've been seeing these big cleaver/chef knife combo knives around lately and they seem pretty neat. I'm looking for a new choppy knife and thought I'd find one in this style. Anyone know where to get one?
Something similar to this but actually good.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 5, 2018

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

My sister gave me her Breville stand mixer for my birthday. She used it once or twice, but doesn’t do enough baking to justify keeping it.

Sucks I didn’t get it sooner though. I spent 20 minutes hand-whipping marshmallow last night.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I'm looking to get into the more scientific aspects of baking and I'm wondering if there's a compendium that covers basically everything in one book, or if people have multiple resources that cover these topics.

Breads, cookies, cakes, etc. I have always loved baking but have only started pushing more into the scientific/special technique aspect of it recently.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

what piping tips/bags do y'all recommend?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, $80 shipped to Canada and Amazon.ca doesn’t have it. I’ll poke around!

In the US stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls have some good quality stuff for really reasonable prices. I get a lot of cooking supplies from stores like those because stuff that's "off season" will be marked down sometimes 30-50%.

I went to a Bed Bath and Beyond and they were selling almost exactly the same cake pans but for three times the price of TJ Maxx.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I use a rubber cutting board and it’s basically perfect. Practically indestructible, easy to clean, antimicrobial, affordable.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

cooked at a rich friend's house this past weekend and I'm in love with their tramontina pro pans. They're so good, way better than the restaurant pans I used to use, and significantly better than the cuisinarts/dollar store non-sticks that I have currently.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Hey Im looking to seriously upgrade my food processor this weekend since the bowl of my last one (one of the 3 in 1 ninja blender things) is starting to crack in half and its impossible to replace lmao. Im looking at the Breville Sous Chef stuff, is there other stuff in that price range thats worth looking at? Or is there some crazy expensive food processor thats worth shelling out even more for? Also does Breville live up to the hype it gets?

Breville is generally good. I’m a former chef and I love my cuisinart food processor linked below, but it seems like it’s gone up in price recently. I think I paid about $120 for it.
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AXM4WV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B54HCbFQP5ZHT

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Go for metal bowls, but don’t pay more than $10 per bowl. Alternatively, the OXO plastic bowls with rubber feet and pouring lips are fantastic and will last for a long rear end time if not forever.

OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007U256CS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LJfICbNB1TK41

I personally own 2 small bowls, 3 medium, and 1 large and I always find myself on the lookout for more bowls. Serious cooks go for many cheap metal bowls. Casual cooks I’d say you’re ok with the OXO

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Sleng Teng posted:

Hi, is the Zoji rice cooker in the OP still the gold standard or should I be considering anything else? I'm not really interested in springing an additional $100 for induction heating but anything else below that in the micom range is fair game. Only really interested in making rice (mostly short grain and calrose white) on a regular basis. I also noticed the larger version is cheaper than the smaller one for some reason?

I got this one a few months back and it's pretty incredible. Very easy to clean, and it makes perfect rice every time. Sometimes it goes on sale, and I got mine for around $150 I think.

It was well worth it. We have rice in there that my roommate made like 2 days ago and it's still hot and good. Rice often stays well enough to eat for a full week before it gets kinda dry.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Joyce Chen kitchen scissors are the best kitchen scissors ever and I’ve used the same pair for almost three years now. They also have a lifetime warranty, so you send in your dull scissors and they send you a new pair.

Joyce Chen 51-0621, Unlimited Scissors, 6.25-Inch, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XYW9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2oufDb48CCX7F

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

eke out posted:

I was trying to find confirmation about that warranty (because I'd buy this in a heartbeat if that's the case) but i don't see anything on amazon - the only listed warranty there is a kinda crappy, generic 25 year "free from defects but does not cover wear and tear" one?

The chefs I’ve worked with claim the warranty is valid and the information for it comes in the box, but in my time I’ve never had one go dull on me. This is with daily use cutting fish, vegetables, boxes, tape, foil, you name it.

Even without a warranty I still think they’re the best scissors on the market.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

If you want to spend and have something that’ll make a decent all-purpose knife as well: https://www.korin.com/HTO-VDSU-240

I used that to break down fish every day at the Japanese resto I worked at

For something more home-oriented: Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife, Flexible Blade, 6-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019WQDOU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LgHgDbD6AVNJC

Though I’d also recommend something a little longer, 6” is pretty small and depending on the size of the fish could be trouble

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've decided my father needs a rice cooker for his birthday as he cooks way more rice than the average 66yr old white man and always complains about how bad at it he is, despite having done it for 40 years. At least twice a week he cooks of some sort of rice-brown rice, white rice, and yellow rice regularly, and occasionally jasmine or some other sort of fancy rice . He doesn't need it to keep rice warm all day or anything like that, just cook rice easier and better than stovetop/microwave and go in the dishwasher. I know Zojirushi is the thing to get, but there are a million of them and I am overwhelmed. I don't think he would ever make more than 8-10 cups of cooked rice at a time.

What rice cooker does he need?

8-10 cups of rice is an absurd amount of rice for one person, but if that’s what he eats, go with this one: Zojirushi NS-TSC18 Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer - 1.8 Liters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W22KF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oY.iDb41NK37B

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

If you don’t want to get him something fancy, or he doesn’t need the additional features (which he might if he makes a lot of non-white rice) then I’m confident this would be fine as well: Zojirushi NHS-18 10-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S577/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LZ.iDb32KHC4V

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS...XQ5A9CBP50T1KXQ

Prime Day deal, one of the most popular thread rice cookers is on a very good sale.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

why spend 30-40 dollars on all this separate equipment when you could buy one device that does it all for more than twice the price??

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

SHVPS4DETH posted:

it kind of depends on what tasks yr lookin for it to do, you know? the victorinox paring takes care of most small tasks and it's cheap, plus it'll do stuff like open boxes and bags as needed, and i leave bigger tasks to oxo kitchen shears. like i have the utility knife that came with the block i got as a gift but i never think "oh you know what'd be perfect for this? the utility knife" nor "dang i rly need to replace/upgrade my utility knife" and also this is the most i've thought abt a utility knife in at least a decade tbh

double for the victorinox paring knife. I use mine whenever I can. It's cheap, relatively easy to sharpen, and is a solid size for kitchen tasks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Been using my roommates vitamix and it’s incredible. I made a butternut sage purée and the texture was perfect. Highly recommend.

Ended up making steak sous vide yesterday over the purée and salad.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Any recs for solid kitchen blowtorches under $20?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Cuisinart 14 cup food processor for $99 - https://amzn.to/2q2Ua7S

Very good deal, I have this exact food processor and it works like a charm.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

I hardly use mine at all - mostly for hummus. What else should I be making?

Pesto, peanut butter, pie crust, sauces, cookie dough, emulsions, mayo,

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

pie crust with a food processor has been amazing. I have very warm hands, so making pie crust by hand is always a huge pain in the rear end since the butter melts quickly. The food processor gets a very similar if not more consistent result every time. I used to hate making pie crust before I learned I could do it with a food processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

This isn't an option for everyone, but if you have access to a kitchen supply store I will always recommend rubber cutting boards. They're easy on your knives, incredibly durable, will never crack, can be sanded down (if you ever need to do it), bacteria resistant and can be restored to like-new appearance by soaking it in a solution of bleach, dish soap and warm water.

Mine is roughly 24" by 12" and its lasted me going on 4 years now, and I paid roughly $35 for it. In a professional kitchen with constant daily use they still take years to develop enough wear and tear to warrant replacing them. For a former chef who does a lot of amateur cooking at home, mine still looks almost brand new.