Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Calling this cursed is a bit of a stretch. It's just pasta, cheese and sauce, kinda smart to make it this way honestly. Put this on a chef tiktok with some high quality ingredients and the same people making yuck face emojis would be calling this brilliant and refined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

People in this thread have the weirdest hangups about absolutely mundane, innocuous things

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Terebus posted:

Hello kitchen equipment goons, I was directed here for blender questions.

I'm looking for a blender, primarily for smoothies but for general use as well. My budget is around $100 but I would like to spend less if possible. I'm looking at the Ninja Intellisense because it's decently priced and the reviews seem good.

https://www.costco.ca/ninja-intelli-sense-kitchen-system.product.100420916.html

Do you guys have any other recommendations, or what to look for when buying a blender?

I had a ninja blender and it was fine, probably not as smooth as I’d like but it got the job done. For sub $100 you can’t do much better, you don’t start getting into really solid, versatile, easy to clean blenders until the $200 range. The ninja blender I had was a bit of a pain to wash, but that would be my only complaint.

Also, if you’re using mostly fresh fruit (not frozen) I’ve had one of those $15 Hamilton beach smoothie makers and it worked great for that. Can recommend it for fresh fruit smoothies (or small amounts of frozen fruit, just don’t put them in the bottom of the cup when you start putting in your ingredients).

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I've been using an Amazon basics Dutch oven (the largest one they make) and it's been fully acceptable. Biggest difference is that it's not rated for temps over 400 I think. I still use it for bread at 450 and haven't had any issues.

For someone new to the Dutch oven game and who is going enameled I'd say you can't go wrong for the price. Do not get a Dutch oven with a plastic handle on the lid though no matter what.

I believe I have the same Dutch oven and it works great. I haven’t had any issues, and I think I got mine for $40 on sale.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm looking for a beater paring knife. Is Victorinox the way to go?

I love my Victorinox paring knife. Think I paid $22 and it works great.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

My zojirushi rice cooker is starting to have an issue. Previously it would keep rice at a nice texture for a couple days, but now the day after I make rice the top layer of the rice is dry and inedible. Two days after the entire thing will be dry. I haven't changed my technique, water amounts, or brand of rice, so my worry is that it's the rice cooker. Anyone deal with this before?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Check the silicone seal, would be my guess

I’ll check it!

Vegetable posted:

This isn’t answering your question, but are you keeping rice in your rice cooker for multiple days? Is this a thing? Seems like a waste of electricity.

Yes, it makes eating healthy dinners easy when you know there’s always hot rice on hand. It never tends to last more than a day or two tho.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Any recommendations for a grill pan for the stovetop? Preferably not cast iron, but I'd settle for cast iron if it makes that big of a difference. Price point is less than $100.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

This looks like it'll work! Do you season both sides? If so would that mean you need reseason a side if it's coming in direct contact with the flame?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

This absolute unit of a garlic clove I found

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

This was from a normal garlic clove! All of the other cloves were fine, maybe even a bit small if anything, but then I went to break some cloves off and this entire thing came out.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 11, 2022

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I got The Wok by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt and I have to say as informative as it is, I've never cooked a JKLA recipe that was better than "ok". His seasoning ratios always seem to be off. For example I used his "basic meat marinade" yesterday, as well as his smashed cucumber recipe following all of the steps to a T, but his ratio per pound of meat seemed way off and it turned out it was. The end results are pretty bland, and need a lot of extra sauce or seasoning to make enjoyable. The smashed cucumber recipe is especially disappointing considering I used a similar NYT recipe earlier last week that is far superior in nearly every way.

This isn't the first time this has happened. In fact I would say of the 8 or so recipes I've tried from JKLA they all needed heavy modification or seasoning tweaking to get tasting "right". Conversely, following other Asian recipes from the likes of Souped Up Recipes and other resources, these recipes don't require much if any modification and end up tasting spectacular.

I really like his content and I think his technique videos are spot on, I think the wok book as a whole is a great resource for learning the intricacies of wok-based cooking, but I've been routinely disappointed with his recipes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Isn’t the usual Kenji criticism that he uses way too much salt?

That's what I'm saying, the seasoning ratio is either way too much or way too little. I've never made something that tasted right without modifying the recipe as written.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry but do you have the NYT cuc recipe handy?

I gotchu buddy. I also add about a teaspoon of white pepper powder

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Tried making gnocchi from scratch for the first time, using the gnocchi board I picked up in Italy. It actually came out pretty good I think, definitely a solid first attempt.

Need to get a potato ricer and cut them a bit smaller next time. The sauce is homemade pesto, chicken stock, and oat milk, and I tossed in some pancetta towards the end.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I picked up the Cuisinart ICE-21p1 ice cream machine after falling in love with the gelato in Italy and it has been pretty awesome so far. I’ve been messing with custard recipes for gelato at home and it has produced amazing results, so much nicer tasting than anything bought from a store.

Today I made almond butter gelato and I can’t wait to dig in. It tends to come out a bit on the soft side fresh out of the machine, so I let it rest for a few hours, preferably overnight, in the freezer. Then it’s absolutely perfect.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChssqqYFgQ3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Planning a bbq for Labor Day weekend so I’ll be making two batches for my guests, though I do need recommendations for flavors!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Lawnie posted:

I’ve been making black chocolate custard lately. You can get black cocoa from King Arthur’s website, I use a heaping tablespoon per pint. Err on the side of more sugar, it tends to need the extra sweetness since it’s so rich. It basically tastes like Oreo cookie, minus cream filling, in ice cream form. Best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever had.

I took this advice and picked up some black cocoa powder. Made black chocolate and orange gelato, using my regular custard recipe and substituting the lemon peel for orange peel. I took the peel out before cooling the custard in the fridge, as it had already produced a fairly strong orange flavor. I also added a quarter teaspoon of instant espresso powder, and I used two tablespoons of black cocoa powder like you suggested.

Tasted it last night and it was good, definitely B+ tier, but I tasted it again this morning and after a full night’s rest in the freezer it’s definitely an A tier flavor.

Next time I’ll make it without the orange peel, and maybe with a bit of salt to help bring out the chocolate flavor more.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChyDQVWgKnF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

My vacuum sealer may be on the way out, but I'd rather fix it than buy a new one if it's possible to do so.

Specifically, the problem is I'll begin the process of sealing something in a bag, but once the suction stops, air seeps back into the bag. During the suction process the bag will seem fully vacuumed. I imagine this has to do with the seal on the inside of the machine, but I don't know how to fix this. The seal itself is fairly simple foam, doesn't seem particularly compressed.

Anyone have advice for this? Do they sell new seals for these kinds of vacuums? Specifically I have a Gourmia GVS425.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

You probably have a loose spot in the foam seal somewhere so it doesn't think its done and keeps going until the safety times it out and air goes right back in. When mine does that I just hit manual seal to force it to finish.

I've tried this, but in the time between hitting manual seal and the vacuuming process finishing, air seeps back in. I'll play around with the seal a bit more and see if I can replace it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Gonna put in my recommendation for this Ken Onion knife sharpener tool.

I typically sharpen my knives with stones and they always came out great but never as sharp as when I got them. Since I haven't worked in restaurants in nearly a decade now, I don't sharpen my knives as frequently and my skill with the stones has diminished. Now getting stones out to sharpen knives is a hassle, not to mention friends and family come to me to sharpen their knives, so there's a volume issue as well.

So with Thanksgiving coming up I decided to get this tool after seeing some reviews and hearing from professional knife makers who use it. I want my knives to be razor sharp for the dinner we have planned.

It arrived yesterday and was really quick to set up. It comes pre-loaded with a low-grit band and comes with several other bands up to around 6000 grit. You can get additional bands online with additional grits. I lowered the motor speed to the lowest possible as recommended by the instructions.

The directions are very simple to follow: set the angle, place the knife inside and pull gently as the motor runs. It gives you a guide for different types of knives, from kitchen knives, utility knives, scissors, etc. It can even be modified out of the box to work as an angle grinder for especially large or thick knives if you prefer. The bands are easy to remove and replace

After about 5 minutes with my knife, a simple Victorinox 8" work horse, the results were really incredible. I went on to sharpen every kitchen knife we have including my $250 Togiharu gyuto from my restaurant days and they're all spectacularly sharp, some of them even sharper than when I got them.

I could not recommend this tool more. It's small, maybe a little bigger than a rectangular tissue box, meaning you can easily pack it away and pull it out when you need it. It's super easy to set up, just put it on a flat surface and plug it in. It's easy to use and takes almost no time at all to put a fantastic edge on an even completely dull knife. The belts are easy and fast to swap out, taking a few seconds to change. You can alter the angle to get the exact edge you want by simply turning a dial. Out of the box it comes with everything you would need for typical knives, though additional attachments exist as well.

For $140 the only issue I worry about is the motor burning out, but we'll see if that happens. Some pro knife makers I know swear by these and will often buy multiple and attach different bands to them so they have a quick and easy sharpening station from low to high grit.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 10, 2023

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Does the 5 minutes include changing bands? I'm mighty tempted.

Including changing bands. It really only takes maybe 5-10 seconds to change a band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

oh rly posted:

I bought a 20" purpleheart French rolling pin off Etsy recently. The purple red color is nice.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1004242392/french-rolling-pin-wooden-rolling-pin

I bought one of these for a friend and it's impressive how nice it is at that price point.