Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Figured I'd ask this here... Got a stone (granite I think) mortar and pestle for Christmas -- What's the deal with "seasoning" it? Everything online says to grind rice in it to get rid of the dust, which makes sense; but then they say to grind garlic into it and never, ever use dish soap... Is this all valid instruction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Induction burners -- Worth the $60?

I was thinking of picking one up once I move into my new apartment. There's an electric stove there, but I seem to hear lots of people rave about this one: https://www.amazon.com/Secura-8100M...2XY3ET1CV01M0AE

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I need to get myself one of those immersion blenders with the processor attachment. Trying to blend or make small quantities is impossible with my current blender and food processor.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

My Kitchenaid had a ton of residue in the bowl, I had to scrub it off with a baking soda/salt paste and it took a couple times to get it really clean.

AFAIK that's normal, I think the updated manuals tell you that.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Looking to buy a manual pasta machine -- seems like the internet consensus is an Atlas 150... do you goons agree?

I have a Kitchenaid, but unfortunately the outlet location won't allow me to put it anywhere with usable space (like my island) without running a cord across the floor and I'd rather not move it back and forth.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on drip coffee makers with thermal carafes under or around $100? Our current Melitta from a few years ago is starting to act up.

Everyone recommends the Bonavita, but it looks like it's bumped up in price to $130 or so. Maybe look at refurbished models?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Speaking of blenders, does anyone here use a Blendtec? I picked up one of the Costco versions and it makes an awful sound when you first turn it on or have a small amount of stuff in the jar. It doesn't do it when the jar isn't on the base, so I thought it was a bad jar and replaced it via warranty, but it still does it. I've heard it happen in videos on YT, etc. so I'm guessing it's "normal"? I have to wonder if it's because the base and the jar connect directly without any sort of bushing, etc. so it's metal on metal.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

My cast iron is pretty well seasoned (or, I thought it was...) and it still made my shakshuka taste metallic.

I just use stainless for it now.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I'm really tempted to pick that up for $250 - I have a Blendtec now, but it makes the most awful grinding noise when you use it and is just loud as hell. I've been through two jars and nothing helps.

It'd be nice to have a dial, too, instead of the buttons.

emotive fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 26, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

That's the blendtec normal sound if you weren't sure. Mine does that too.

Good to know. I've tried everything to get it to stop, but it turns me off from even using it.

That said, I just ordered that $250 Vitamix, so if anyone wants to buy a barely used Blendtec...

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

I love my vitamix but it is definitely not the solution to your "loud as hell" problems

I understand a high end blender is going to be loud, but the Blendtec noise is just obnoxious... From what I understand the Vitamix is the quieter of the two options, especially the G-Series line. Personally I don't mind loud equipment, but I live in an apartment so I have to take it into consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

My refurb Vitamix showed up today already. What a difference in sound and build quality compared to the Blendtec. I’m glad I bought when I did, looks like the price jumped back up.