Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What are you guys doing to your nonstick, that you just assume it'll be ruined after a few years? I have a cheap Farberware and it's lasted 10+ years. I hardly babysit it, either -- I just don't use metal tools or the green scrubby side of the sponge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think it only visibly scratches if you use metal. I use silicone, and if there are any scratches, they're microscopic. I do typically make eggs with a little butter or water in the bottom, though. I'll try doing it without either next time and report back.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I don't have any experience with them, nor do I have a suggestion for an actual deep fryer (I'd say just use a big ol' wok), but I'm reasonably certain those "healthy" "air-fryer" devices are worthless bullshit made to cook food for people who are trying to convince themselves that it tastes as good as real deep fried food because they're miserable on their diets that they're going to abandon anyway and die early of heart disease.
Convection ovens are bad because uhhhh fat people *fart*

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Look on craigslist near you. Apparently everyone has a bread machine they got as a gift and used once.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

mindphlux posted:

you..... do.... realize J. Kenji Lopez is an investor..... right?.
That's a pretty major claim considering his reputation and how clearly he says the opposite.

quote:

I have no affiliation with these guys, so no conflict of interest here. I just like the knives!

quote:

I'll work on my writing skills, but I have zero affiliation with these guys. As always, any kind of sponsored content is clearly labeled and no editorial content is affected by ads or sponsorships. I get no benefit from supporting this knife other than helping readers out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Dawn concentrated. I've accidentally used Dawn non-concentrated and it's like 90% water. The good thick stuff plus a sponge plus hot running water will get plastic squeaky-clean. For #2, do you not have enough water pressure to blast out visible crud?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
One of the main reasons to get an instant pot is so you can brown in the same thing you're going to cook in. Have you tried it?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Quornes posted:

Are electric pressure cookers still bad? Currently debating getting either a crock pot or a pressure cooker. Not doing anything heavy duty, just college student fare.
The instant pot does both if that's what you're interested in. Just wait for a good sale.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I use a silicone hot pad, a lot thicker than a silpat, and with bumps. You might need to use more than one if your board is bigger.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
ATK has a thing about oven barbecuing with charred lapsang souchong iirc that I've never bothered to do. I do a lot of oven barbecue, and I think once you're pleased with the texture you're getting, the best smoky flavor comes from things like smoked paprika, smoked salt, or just liquid smoke. If you do the latter, make sure you get actual liquid smoke without molasses and vinegar and coloring and poo poo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have a (different) MC2 set, and although the outside is brushed, it feels very smooth to the touch. I have a gas stove, but I can't imagine the MC2 bottoms perceptibly scratching glass.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can make popovers in a regular muffin pan just fine. I would at least try it a few times before buying a popover pan.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't think it can be organized if it's all mismatched and doesn't stack. I would start fresh with a Rubbermaid Easy-Find set and call it a day. It also comes in glass if you prefer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The instant pot can also function as a slow cooker, you can sear in it, make yogurt, a couple other things.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I had been planning for the instant pot to replace my crock pot, but once I got it I couldn't do it. The instant pot is too small for a crock pot for me (ymmv, I just cook for myself but I like leftovers).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not sure the same wouldn't be true for a food processor... But every time I make pie (not that often granted) I wish I had one. I just need to convince myself it won't be another forgotten gadget.
Imo food processors are good for things like dough, pesto, grated cheese, nut butters, stuff where you want the pieces to be tiny and equal. Before I got mine, I was thinking I could also use it for rougher chops like salsa or stew vegetables like the ads show, and I haven't found that to be realistic at all. It still might totally be worth it for you, just saying to factor out that use case.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
YMMV but if it's not often, I'd just stick to shallow-frying.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The bottom of the head is hitting the top of the bowl? Or the attachment is hitting the back of the bowl? Is the bowl locked in and the head locked down? If so, you could call KitchenAid or tbh just do an exchange at Costco.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah it's definitely not supposed to do that. If you look in the manual, there's a way to adjust the height of the beater. You could play with that and see if it makes a difference, or maybe there's another way to adjust the beater that I'm forgetting? If it's not easy, take it back to Costco. They're good about customer service.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I thought I was going to replace my crock pot with an instant pot, but it turns out instant pots have way smaller interiors. No good if you like making bigger stuff like pork shoulders.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My crock pot is 5 quarts, but it's oblong, which is super helpful for big cuts of meat. My instant pot is the Lux60, which is allegedly 6 quarts. Even allowing for different shapes, I don't believe the instant pot holds more, I'm gonna have to test it with water. I do know that at least under pressure, the instant pot can't be filled near the rim, which I definitely do with the crock pot.

The pork shoulder I buy is sold as "whole pork shoulder" and it's about twice the size of what they label "half pork shoulder," but I'm sure it's not like an entire pig's leg.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Mine is bone-in, skin-on, and needs long, low, slow cooking. One huge lump of dark meat, no twine involved, and nothing like a pork loin roast -- how's yours compared to loin?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sometimes when part of the pork shoulder is pressing against the lid, but I know it'll shrink while cooking, I'll put heavy cans on the lid to make sure it's a good seal until it shrinks. That counts right

(I obv don't cook under pressure in the crock pot, but in the instant pot, even when not under pressure I don't think you can fill it that high)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What I buy looks more or less like this: https://recipesorreservations.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/picnic-shoulder-details.jpg?w=630 (imgur doesn't let you upload from mobile anymore?)

The whole thing can be bigger or smaller, the arm part can be longer or shorter, but this general idea. It yields about two 7-cup tupperwares full of pulled pork.

e: and I definitely don't put anything in the crock pot with it. Seasonings and a little water for the bottom, but nothing with volume.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 28, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm not shy about cramming. It's all gonna be pulled pork anyway, so sometimes I cut off a bit and rearrange it. Also, the oval (not round) crock pot is crucial!

I think you can get them in pretty much any grocery store here, I'm not going to an actual butcher. Check out one of the big ones on Greenpoint sometime, or the big Key Food. On sale they should be under $1/lb, which is what got me trying them in the first place.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What bourgeois butchers even are there here? Or do you schlep from Manhattan all the time?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ohhh gotcha. The only one I'm aware of anywhere in the area is Ottomanelli's in Woodside. The Food Bazaar on Northern Blvd is amazing, but it is a huge chain grocery store, just a really cool one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Cookie-cooling racks are a real pain in the rear end to clean after being used that way. Look for a rack that only has lines in one direction, and a lot fewer of them. It'll be more than enough to support the meat, and actually possible to get clean.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I use the tiny useless Tupperware that comes with every set so they can up the number of pieces even though it's only big enough for like 3 olives. It was originally to make me feel better about that bullshit, but it actually works pretty well for salt.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So a couple of years ago I got the Peugeot Paris U’Select Pepper Grinder. It owns and I love it and it’s beautiful and I wouldn’t trade it for anything... but it is annoying to use when I need large quantities of pepper for recipes that call for spoonfuls. What’s a good electric pepper grinder that grinds pepper ultra super fine as gently caress so I don’t bite into broken peppercorn chunks?
Keep the grinder you love, buy a container of good ground pepper for recipes that call for spoonfuls. If it's like 2 tsp in a stew or something, it'll work fine. The only thing I can think of where you use a bunch of pepper + the pepper is the star is like cacio e pepe.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Christmas is coming. For baking, check out the air-gapped sheets with bonus cookie-spacing targets.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I probably wouldn't completely submerge them for a long time, but I've definitely washed them without any issues.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The point is for them to brown less on the bottoms, not to circulate hot air under the bottoms.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I got this 8-piece set of MC 2 awhile back (for $115) and I've been pleased with it. I have a gas stove and no dishwasher so that's never been an issue for me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
We just had this conversation in another thread, but I can't remember which. I got an instant pot planning to ditch my slow cooker. I've ended up keeping it because the instant pot just doesn't have the shape or capacity for bigger cuts.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Whatever was on sale last Christmas! I'll check.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't think you usually rip the meat off the bone with your hands, I think you put the whole piece in your mouth and then fish the bone out with your hands?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I got a Wusthof set that had a big chef's knife, two small utility knives, a serrated knife, steel, and shears. I'm very happy with all of those, no filler there. It didn't quite fill the block it came in, which is perfect since I picked up a couple other things later.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Feenix posted:

That is REAL nice. But I think I’d have a better time justifying my upgrade at the sub 80 (maybe sub 100?) dollar level. Any suggestions there that come close?

Any real good argument for why the one you recommended is just light years ahead and worth so
Much cashish?
I got the same product line one size down and on sale for $100 iirc. $100 is usually my limit for big but iffy kitchen gadgets. Despite the sweethome's claims, the smaller size has been completely fine -- I live alone but I really like batch cooking, and it's never been an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Mine's not a mini one, it's just like 9 cups or something instead of 14 cups. You can still make pasta dough, pie crusts, whatever. I'm not home now but I can check later.