Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

C-Euro posted:

My knives could probably use some sharpening though, would prolonged use of a pull-through sharpener mess up my knives long-term? What's the best sharpener I could buy using this $50 Williams-Sonoma giftcard we got as a present?

Pull through sharpeners are bad for non-disposable knives for a few reasons that are summarized by ruining the edge and not being able to do anything else. They don't do permanent damage usually, but prolonged use can make fixing the damage a pain.
I know the Edge Pro and whatever variation of knockoff are quite popular around here, but you could get a good waterstone or a couple good oilstones for inside of $50, and you'd have a lifetime supply of knife ammo for any non-serrated knife you'll ever own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
I need suggestions on what and where to get a cutting board and where to get a molcajete.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
It's not that I don't already have a cutting board; I have two. I don't use the bamboo one because I thought I read somewhere it's hard on knife edges. But I thought for some reason it was better to have an end grain laminated board or something like that.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Are you talking about a whole Edge Pro kit, or a specific subset of stones?

For under $50? I'm talking about bench stones. I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat that advocates learning to freehand.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

CHARLES posted:

So a family member offered to buy me something between $400-600 of my choosing. Before I just have them blow it on a cellphone or something is there some piece of awesome kitchen equipment that people would recommend? I was thinking about a standing mixerbut I dunno. Maybe a cast iron dutch oven or an espresso machine but those are borderline silly kitchen space-takers for me.

What about a kitchen knife?

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
So my go-to 12" skillet just got a gouge in the non stick surface. I've been contemplating carbon steel because of course I would. How does it compare to aluminum as far as even heat distribution?

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks. I do have a knife set that's about a decade old and has never been sharpened, so you can guess that they're not exactly razor sharp anymore. Maybe I should try a cheap sharpener first to see if I can get some more life out of them.

A word of warning about the pull through sharpeners, they tend not to sharpen so much as just raise a lot of burrs that make the knife seem sharper. If it's a cheap knife you don't care about, that probably won't bother you. If you have the time and some patience, you can try freehand sharpening. The investment in equipment can be as low as $20-30. A Norton fine India stone, for example, can be had for $21, and you could lubricate it with diluted Simple Green. Also, keep in mind that if you get a new knife, it will eventually get dull. So it's worth considering learning sharpening or finding someone who does that sort of thing.
Also, seconding the Victorinox Fibrox if you buy a new knife. America's Test Kitchen has been singing its praises you years as the best value for your money on the market. I bought a hand forged wa-gyuto a few years back that takes an edge that probably rivals my straight razors, and the Fibrox is still my go-to general use knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I just bought that 8" Victorinox Fibrox. My current knife set is Farberware, so I'm guessing this knife brand new is going to be a marked improvement over my 10 year old knives.

Other goons are probably right that you wouldn't want to learn to sharpen a very dull knife, but nevertheless I'll pitch that you might want to look into a steel or an idahone to maintain the sharp edge that your Victorinox will come with. Even a half dozen passes every couple uses will really help prolong the edge. For me, it's enough that I don't remember the last time I needed to put any of my kitchen knives to the stones. Or if you go for a setup like an Edge Pro or Lansky or Sharpmaker or pull through or whatever, I'd encourage you to incorporate edge maintenance into your routine. A sharp knife is safer than a dull one, and I just think it makes the process of cooking more pleasant.