Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking for a pan to make shakshuka in. Where I make it now it destroys the seasoning on my non enamel cast iron skillet.

Should I get an enamel skillet, or an enamel Dutch oven? I've been wanting to get an enamel Dutch oven for awhile, and I could probably do shakshuka in it.

Are there other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Next question, which one?

The lodge lavender 6.5 qt doubled in price :(

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Recipe I use calls for tossing it in the oven. Can the stainless pan go in the oven or do you not put it in the oven?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks, I'll check for a suitable stainless pan at TJ Maxx

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Sometimes you get a few grounds in the coffee. Isn't really bad imo

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do people wash their ceramic honing rods?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Caphulon 'anodized aluminum' pan. What is up with this kind of cookweare? Does it have a nonstick coating like Teflon or is it something else entirely? I like the pot, the lid has a built in strainer so it is my go to pasta pot

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I’m trying to figure out how that could work. The lid having holes seems wrong.

I don't know if this is the exact pot I have but it's similar

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/simply-calphalon-easy-system--nonstick-15-qt-sauce-pan---cover-ca-1831401--1

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Oh you're looking for the bled tec model with acoustic dampening

or this https://www.whisperblend.com

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Speaking of vacuum sealers, is the FS5480 Costco sells good? It is more than I'd like, so I was thinking of maybe doing a FS2100 instead. Costco had the 5480 for $150, sometimes $100

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a small one and it works ok, just annoying to try and do large batches of pesto to freeze

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

recs for enameled dutch ovens? i need a big one, at least 6QTs and light inside color finish only

i finally got a chip on my 10 year old martha stewart one so i'll retire it.

as much as i'd like a le cruset the prices are nuts

Lodge is good

Amazon basics also has one for $15 or so less than Lodge
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073Q9WV8S/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking for a comal to cook tortillas on. I have a cast iron griddle but whenever I cook tortillas it leaves a lot of carbon on the pan (I'm probably cooking them wrong) and it makes it hard to use to cook eggs

Should I just get a cheap lodge cast iron griddle? The lodge 10.5" round is only $15 on Amazon. Other options might be a carbon steel pan, which might be nice.

Any thoughts on a pan to cook tortillas in?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone know if I could use a silicone roasting tray in an enameled dutch oven?

Thinking of this in particular: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Si...J1F8G1G7DC&th=1

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any recommendations for a thermometer I can use in a ditch oven for frying food

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Given that PFAS are an emerging contaminate and known to be toxic/carcinogenic, and that the frying pans I have are Teflon, can anyone recommend a good 10" non-stick frying pan? We have stainless and cast iron, but one non-stick would be good.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone have experience with carbon steel pans? I got a lodge one but there seems to be a lot of pore space in the metal and I'm wondering if a different brand would have a more smooth finish

Also what is the best way to season one?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

usually they're machine finished. I get some m* brand. You're probably seeing the protective coating applied at the factory.

Scrub away the coating. Season with very high heat, paper towel, oil. You'll find articles saying use oil potatoes and salt but eh.

I cleaned it for awhile, and then I actually sanded it down and there are still large pore spaces. I feel like lodge should stick to cast iron!

I did order a different pan from Amazon as well, and it appears much more smooth. Over time the lodge will fill in the holes, but that's going to take quite a while.

E: as a bit of a follow-up, the matfer pan I bought has really smooth steel on the inside, and the lodge is just... Rough. Maybe lodge doesn't machine it as smooth or it's cheaper steel, but I feel like the matfer will be way better. The lodge will probably be relegated to camping

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 16, 2019

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a lodge enamel Dutch oven and it works great and it was like $50

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just use a p38

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Guyver posted:

Been using a Swiss army knife for a few months now and it's faster than any cranked can opener I've had.

Prefer the victorious blade version to the wanger claw one.

Yeah I use my swiss army knife can opener a lot

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've had a Cuisinart blender for 5 years that sees quite a bit of use, but the motor is starting to go. Looking at possibly getting a Vitamix. Costco has the E320 for $280 - is that a good model/price?

E: mostly make smoothies with frozen fruit, but I'd like to try making almond milk

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 14, 2019

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Kuhn Rikon is the gold standard. Other than that, they're mainly equivalent. Jiggle top ones are a little louder than newer types. I guess what I'm saying is buy this. Presto 01365 6-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker, Deluxe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FYF4F2/

I have that exact presto and I like it

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Helith posted:

update!

I have found some more moths in some basmati rice and some couscous. So I'm going to assume they invaded the box from the outside. Luckily there's not too many so I hope I caught it early.
Pantry is getting wiped down with a vinegar solution and I'm going to separately bag all my other dry stuff and see if anything hatches in them in the next week.

I'm going to look for some of those screwtop plastic containers for future use for those types of items as the reclosable seals on packaging don't seem to keep them out.

My local Costco is selling glass storage jars with screw top lids if you're a Costco member. There even on sale right now.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We have stainless, carbon steel, bare cast iron and enameled cast iron.

Use the carbon steel the most and since we got rid of our worn out non-stick there's never been a time I wished we had non-stick

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any reccomensations on a waffle maker? Ideally I'd like one that has bare metal plates, but I'm not sure that exists outside commerical ones.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking to pick up a new knife sharpener. Is the spyderco still the recommended manual sharpener? Is there a recommended electric sharpener?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

nwin posted:

Vacuum sealer recommendations?

I’ve got a cheap $30 food saver I’ve had for 10 years that does the job for freezing meat and sous vide, but if there’s a hint of liquid it fails miserably at making a deal and there’s no good way to prevent the liquid from ruining the deal unless I freeze it first.

I’d like something that can handle liquid a bit better. When I vacuum seal, I normally don’t do more than 4-5 things in one go, so cool down time doesn’t matter a whole lot.

I looked into the special anova chamber sealer but I need to store this thing in a cabinet when I’m not using it, and that thing seemed hefty and expensive.

I have a food saver i got at Costco and I've done soups in it before, you just have to be good on the timing and be ok with a little air in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any thoughts on webstarant store for ordering basic pots? Like like Vigor has a decent price point, and I need a 1qt and 2qt saucepan