Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fart simpson posted:

What's so good about it? I have a random crappy can opener and I've never noticed problems with it.

It doesn't break, it's cheap, it's made in the US. If you already have a can opener you like, it's not worth replacing it. But if you need a new one for whatever reason, Ez-Duz-It is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is the Swissmar Borner dishwasher safe/easy to clean? I'd like a new mandolin slicer, but I don't want to spend loving $100+ on one right now.

My understanding is that basically anything with a sharp blade is not going to be dishwasher safe, at the risk of denting/dulling the blade.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Is there any reason I should avoid the Kitchenaid Pro 5 Plus if I can get it for significantly cheaper than the Pro 600? The only real differences seem to be 1 quart of bowl capacity and a somewhat more powerful motor, neither of which I care *that* much about.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Doh004 posted:

I got a gift card for my birthday and would like to pick up a couple carbon steel pans. I already have a 12" selected which is great, but is an omlette pan necessary?

http://www.amazon.com/Buyer-5611-24-Omelette-Mineral-Element/dp/B00F2GYNA0

No - you're probably better off picking up a cheap non-stick pan to use for eggs.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Question: What are the major differences between this KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Blue Steel stand mixer vs. this (apparently identical) one in Cobalt Blue? Other than the fact that the Cobalt Blue one is cheaper, comes in more colors, and is made of zinc instead of stainless steel?

EDIT: It looks like the Cobalt Blue one's arms are raised a little bit higher, but in terms of performance, which one is likely to be better? Or are they both the same?

No difference, Amazon listings can be hosed up sometimes, especially when there are third-party sellers involved: Note the "Blue Steel" one is a third-party seller fulfilled by Amazon and the "Cobalt Blue" is sold by Amazon directly.

The arm height difference is because that's a bowl-lift model: instead of tilting the head to get the bowl out, you raise and lower the bowl. One of those pictures has the bowl raised, the other has it lowered.

e:f,b

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dammit I keep clicking on that Amazon link waiting for that mixer to go on sale, but it never does.

I've also started reading the Bread thread.

What's wrong with me? :cry:

You can use camelcamelcamel.com to get an email when a specific Amazon product goes on sale. However, if you want cheap, you're better off looking into Refurbished ones I think.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Aquila posted:

I just bought the 4.5qt (non artisan) Kitchenaid at Costco for $199. They had the 6qt for ~299 (discounted from $340~).

A note on this: be careful when buying the bowl-lift kitchenaid mixers from Costco, as some (all?) of the bowl-lift models they sell have a slightly differently shaped bowl than the standard ones and require different attachments.

I think the thing to look for is the rim of the bowl - if it's flat, it'll fit the standard accessories. If it tapers out, it's one of the special snowflake models.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

So, I guess Kitchenaid has introduced a 'Mini' Artisan mixer with a 3.5qt capacity. Any thoughts?

Given that Amazon is selling them for $330, more expensive than the regular Artisan, I'd say that the only reason to get one is if you only ever cook for yourself and have a kitchen the size of a shoebox.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have an immersion blender they would particularly recommend? I seems there a few good options but I'd love it if someone gave a solid rec for theirs

I have the Breville Control Grip and it's on the pricier side but it's very good. Solid, powerful, relatively easy to clean, doesn't overheat even when I abuse the crap out of it by running it way longer than I should.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I like Tramontina stuff, here is a good set.

Tramontina is good, the Kirkland Signature (Costco) tri-ply is also very good for the price

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

don't switch to glass top electric when you have gas already what is wrong with you

e: yeah what subsan said

To be fair though induction kicks all kinds of rear end and I would take it over gas any day, and is only available in glass-top

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I have the Breville and it's really nice, but one thing about it is that the head is oblong and rather large. That's great for soups, but it makes making smoothies or mayo with it a giant pain in the butt because it can't go all the way to the bottom of... pretty much any cup that I've found, except the jar it comes with or other pitcher-sized things.

E: Oh, the Wirecutter review even says it can't do that mayo recipe. Oh well.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 8, 2017

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

iospace posted:

Question, how worth it is an instant pot, and what size should I get (I'm pretty sure the first answer will be yes anyway)?

I'll probably end up using it more for rice than anything, but I like slow cooking food as well.

Pretty much any slow cooker recipe can be done faster and better in a pressure cooker, plus all the stuff you can only do in a pressure cooker.

Get the biggest one you can. If you need more room, throw out your slow cooker.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Which sous vide immersion circulator do we like these days? There are so many. I don’t really care about WiFi, FWIW.

I have this Anova and it works fine.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

plz dont pull out posted:

Speaking of stainless steel, I saw a skillet at a thrift shop. Couldn't make out what brand it was so I'm not sure if it's good quality. Do they have much utility for someone who's got a cast iron and non stick already? If so does a $13 thrift store skillet have much value or is it best to just wait till I can afford a good quality one?

Eh. Stainless steel is cheap. I mean, if you wanted to, you can buy a new Cuisinart skillet for $25. What you want is a "tri-ply" or "multi-ply" skillet - they heat much more evenly.

Cast iron + non-stick will do pretty much whatever you need anyway. I haven't used my stainless (tri-ply, whatever) skillet in a month or two.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

bamhand posted:

It's convenient enough that you'd probably just cook more once you get it.

Electric pressure cookers’ thing of “dump a bunch of poo poo in a pot, press button, eat food 20 minutes later” is really, really nice.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

swickles posted:

I was with my mom in Costco and we picked up an Instant Pot + SV model. She was amazed by the SV things I have done for my parents, and we both had heard great things about instant pot. I made a couple things with it while visiting this weekend to great raves and reviews, so now she wants me to send them recipes, which I am more than happy to do. Whenever my mom goes away to visit friends, family, business, etc she always likes to make it so my step dad has an easily reheated meal and so usually makes chili, a lot of soups, etc. I looked on the first three pages and didn't see an Instant Pot thread, so where is the best place to get recipes for literally anything Instant Pot on SA? Should I just check the pressure cooker thread? I know google is a treasure trove of this, but I like to hear recipes that have a modicum of second hand worth. Thanks!

Yes, check the pressure cooker thread. Instant Pot is just a brand of electric pressure cooker, there’s nothing special about them other than they’re popular.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Washout posted:

Is all clad cookware worth it? I have a copper bottom set from costco that works fine for most things and am wondering if all clad will give me better browning when I'm pan frying chicken and steaks and whatnot.

Every review of cookware reccomends it, but when you look at the amazon reviews they are super negative. Do most people just not know how to cook and are idiots?

I cook nearly everything at home and am a pretty good cook with a wide repertoire.

Edit: posted this in the general ask thread before this since I missed this thread on my first look through.

Tri-ply is good but not magical or anything. If you do want some, off-brands like Tramontina or Costco’s Kirkland Signature are 95% as good as All-Clad for like 1/4 the price. If you want better searing, pick up a Lodge cast iron skillet for like $20.

I don’t see bad reviews on Amazon, but my guess is that people don’t know how to cook on stainless steel cookware.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Amazon has a couple refurb Vitamix blenders as their deal of the day with what looks like a pretty decent discount, $$200 for an analog one and $260 for a Bluetooth one that connects to an app.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Make sure your cheap knife is full-tang, i.e. the metal goes all the way down the handle. I like a cheap knife too, but all the ones I've had without a full tang snapped fast

My Victorinox Fibrox is not full tang but has lasted me like 8 years, only recently replaced by a Wusthof model. And the Vic is still in service, just secondary. They’re good knives.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I’ve never had gas, only electric and induction.

Induction is GREAT for safety - you still don’t want to leave it unattended, but you also don’t have actual fire and the burners stay fairly cool (although they do get hot by virtue of having a hot pan on them). It’s delightful to turn on the “Powerboost” mode and get a pan screaming hot in seconds without having a giant fire.

You can also turn it down super low and get a very gentle heat. I think on mine I could get away with melting chocolate without a double boiler, but I haven’t actually tried that.

If you’re in love with nonstick cookware, or have a collection of copper pans, you’re not going to have a great time with induction. Stainless steel, multi-ply, cast iron, and carbon steel all work fantastic, and I have a small nonstick pan with a stew disk in the bottom that works fine for cooking eggs.

Wok cooking is basically a non-starter as well. Even with a flat bottom you get 0 heat anywhere that isn’t in contact with the burner, so you have a screaming hot little disk at the bottom and a lukewarm bowl.

That said, there’s no waste heat really, which is nice in the summer. I love my induction cooktop, but like I said, no house I’ve ever lived in has even had a hookup for a gas stove. It’s 1,000% an upgrade over standard electric though, even my cheapo Fridgidaire unit.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Crock pots kinda suck, yeah. If you can afford a slightly higher price, and you need a slow cooker: buy an electric pressure cooker (e.g. Instant Pot) instead. They can all do slow-cooking pretty well but also get you the benefits of a pressure cooker (which kicks all kinds of rear end). And honestly, you can use a pressure cooker to do a lot of what you'd use a slow cooker for, but in minutes instead of hours.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

Thanks for the responses to braising chat, everyone. I'm probably gonna get a mormon family size crockpot for the long braises, I'll post if I find one with special temp settings.

New question: I already own and enjoy an electric pressure cooker. What does a stovetop pressure cooker do that an electric doesn't? What does it do better?

I did a bit of research and it sounds like making stock (i do this in a stock pot just fine) and pressure frying (sounds terrifying!) are a couple of the things that are possible in a stovetop pressure cooker. What else?

You can make stock no problem in an electric pressure cooker, I do it all the time. You also need a special pressure fryer to pressure fry, most stovetop ones can't do it I think (and you're right, it does sound terrifying). Same for canning, you need a special pressure canner. Really a stovetop one will be slightly faster as it gets to a bit higher pressure, but not enough to really enable a ton of new use cases. It might be easier to do recipes that involve searing or sauteing things prior to pressure cooking. It's usually fairly straightforward to convert a recipe from stovetop to electric or vice-versa.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Scholtz posted:

I also finally bought a thermapen. I want to keep it looking nice so I was thinking about getting a holder for it but that seems a little expensive. One thing that's nice though is I could just put it on my knife strip. I guess there's this too, but idk if I like the look of it.

I guess what I'm asking is, how does everyone else store theirs? Also, would just attaching a piece of steel to the back of the pen harm it? I have a piece left over from an old car cell phone mount.

I have the silicone boot with the magnets on mine, and it was really loving annoying to get on, but now that it's on it's at zero risk of coming off accidentally and the magnets are quite strong. It's really nice to just stick it to whatever random metal is nearby (usually the microwave or fridge) between uses. It's pretty sturdy and would be fine without it too, but I think overall I'd recommend the silicone case just for the magnets.

Edit to answer the other part of your question: when I'm not using it I just stick it to the fridge door with the magnets. Keeping it in a drawer would be slightly less convenient but not a big deal.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I have a countertop convection oven that I use when I need a second oven, and at like $200ish that’s probably considerably cheaper than the price difference between a single-oven unit and a two-oven unit.

For burners, I’ve only ever used all 4 burners on mine on Thanksgiving, and never wished for more than that. If I wanted more I’d buy a countertop induction burner for like $100.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
My countertop oven just took a poo poo, so I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade to the Anova Precision Oven. Anyone got any recommendations for cool combi oven stuff I can try when it comes in? Besides bread, I already know it's great for bread and stuff.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Not sure if it means they'll be introducing a Mk. 5 soon or something, but Thermapen Mk. 4 are currently on sale at thermoworks.com for $69, all colors. I've never seen them go so cheap so if you've been wanting one but haven't been able to justify the C-note, now's the time to pull the trigger.

Seconded. Even if they're about to roll out a new version, I dunno what they could add to it that would make one regret buying the Mk. 4 for cheap.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

:siren: Thermapen ONE is now available for preorder! :siren:

Reads in one second or less with more accuracy than the Mk4

That's cool I guess but I've never felt the need for a faster thermometer than the mk4. Nice for folks who are buying a new one anyway, but I'll keep using my mk4 until it dies.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sous Videodrome posted:

I'll put in my Anti-recommendation for the silicone front oven mitts. Every one I've bought has eventually melted in a weird chemical breakdown kind of way, not a got too hot kind of way. I stick with high quality padded cloth and make sure not to get them wet. I'm sure I just got some bad brands but this did happen on multiple ones and I'm soured on them forever.

My Oxo oven mitts have silicone pads on the front and have held up for about 6 years at this point.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I dunno, we don't have hard water but we went from having a greasy residue and baked-on food on our dishes half the time after a complete cycle with tabs to functionally 100% perfect every time filling the prewash thing with gel.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Misen seems to do a pretty reliably good job if you get in on one of their Kickstarters. After that, seems like QA goes downhill pretty fast.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread, apologies if it's not!

I'm looking at purchasing a new stove, probably in 2022. Our current one is a basic Frigidaire electric range, so we're looking to upgrade to an induction range. I've been poking around and doing some cursory research, wondering if anyone has tips or recs for pretty much anything regarding induction.

We're eyeing this 30 in. 5.4 cu. ft. Front Control Induction Range with Air Fry in Stainless Steel, but I'm just wondering about the price gap. That's the cheapest unit at HD, Lowes, and a local appliance store, with the next priciest unit being almost $1000 more. Is... there something I'm missing? Pretend I know fuckall about induction ranges, or stoves in general, other than how to operate one in a (relatively) passable fashion.

We picked up a Frigidaire induction range from Best Buy about 6 years ago when we moved into this house, which was similarly cheap compared to the competition at the time and it’s been great so far. I groan inwardly (and sometimes outwardly) when forced to use a regular electric range now, induction is soooo nice. Less risk of burning yourself, heat things incredibly quickly, stupid easy to clean because nothing can burn onto it and get stuck… my only complaint is that it makes it functionally impossible to use a wok (Kenji claims you can work around this by working in small batches but eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and this is all inductions ranges unless you shell out $$$$$ for one with a special curved wok burner).

Edit: regarding the particular model you linked, I think +/- buttons instead of dials would get on my nerves, but I’d still rather have an induction range with buttons than a resistive range with dials.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 13, 2021

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone gone from gas range to induction? anything you miss about using gas?

I’ve never had gas, just traditional resistive electric and induction. You can shift pans around and pick them up and toss stuff while you’re cooking, it’s fine, you just only get heat while the pan is in contact with the cooktop. I do have some scuffing on my cooktop but hard to tell if that’s because I slide pans on it, or if it’s from not being particularly careful about how I clean it - I don’t really give a gently caress how it looks so I just use normal kitchen cleaning equipment, not special glass stove cleaner or whatever.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m looking for a device that will let me throw stuff into it, set it, forget it, eat the food.

Any goon preferences between crock pots or slow cookers or pressure cookers?

An electric pressure cooker is strictly better than a crock pot apart from price; you can use it as a slow cooker in addition to doing most slow cooker recipes many times faster in pressure cooker mode. Highly recommended for the “thing I can dump food in and pres butan 2 go” angle.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

In a just society, meat should cost what it takes to raise it humanely while compensating labor fairly. Meat should not be sold that does not meet these standards. Period.

The solution to income inequality is not "torture animals so we can all afford meat on our artificially low salaries while management steals our labor." The solution is to raise incomes.

All that poo poo is true, and also does not change one iota of the reality of the situation of the moment, which is that in reality you gotta pick your battles and not everyone is gonna die on the hill of ethical treatment of animals. I’m sure you agree unless everything you eat was ethically produced & everything you buy made by unionized labor, and if that’s the case I’m real curious what you’re posting on. Maybe stop making GBS threads on people for buying food in the kitchen equipment thread?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
The only Misen thing I have is their Dutch oven, which is pretty great for the price I paid backing the Kickstarter. Can’t swear to any of their other stuff.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Just use your dishwasher to offset the cost of the extra water you’re wasting.

You mean like this?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

How do people feel about the Anova Precision Oven? I feel like I saw some chatter about it for a bit, but then it fell off. If you're looking for a toaster oven, but would likely use the extra functionality, is it worth it? Is it only worth it if you bake?

I’ve got one. The sous vide mode works as advertised, and the steam functionality works great for baking, and also well for keeping toast from drying out too much in the desert I live in. It’s loving huge and takes up a shitton of counter space, and I had the cracking tank problem and had to get a replacement which took months. So like, it works well, I do like having the steam functionality - it’s good for just kind of making most cooking a little bit better with like 30% steam, but if you’re mostly looking for a toaster oven I’d advise looking at one like, a quarter of the size and price.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Do you also have to wash your knife after honing? It's essentially a file, I would think you do.

A honing rod shouldn’t be removing any material from the blade, it works by ensuring the edge is straight with respect to the rest of the blade, not by filing down the metal like sharpening. I’ll still give mine a quick wipe with a towel afterwards most of the time but you shouldn’t need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

I have one of these and it’s really nice. The lid keeps stuff out of the salt (important as an ADHD-Haversian), it’s openable one-handed, and very comfortable to hold.