Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I didn't see anything about air fryers in the op, and I'm curious for air fryer recommendations.

I don't actually know what an air fryer really is either, I just really like buffalo wings and so I was told that maybe I should get one.

Like I would happily eat buffalo wings a couple of times a week if it was cheap and convenient.

I'd also like the air fryer to be able to cook random things to experiment with once in a while, I don't really want an air fryer that is designed to cook only buffalo wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Can you two just gently caress already.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Issue I have with the reviews are that very frequently similar but not-identical items by the same vendor are just lumped in with the reviews for what you're looking at. So if you're looking at like 16gb RAM kits you'll see reviews for the 8gb and 32gb versions, or different sized cutting boards, pots, etc.

It's also kind of bothersome that so many of them are totally fake.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Croatoan posted:

He's really not though? dino is a cool and mostly easy going dude I think you're reading something into what he's saying that's not there :shrug:

The amount of drama in the kitchen equipment thread is the only reason I read it. I don't even remember what I came here for, a pan or something. It's amazing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Are there good or bad vacuum sealers for sous viding?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

My brother had an instant pot but he moved out, I'm thinking of getting another one, this one https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Air-Fryer-One-Touch/dp/B07VT23JDM?ref_=ast_sto_dp includes an air fryer and sous vide options, does anyone have experience with the sous vide and air fryer options? I have an anova, but I wouldn't mind freeing up the counter space, and I love buffalo wings.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

swickles posted:

I have used the sous vide function before. It works fine, but isn't flexible, you are limited to the space in the pot and you can't clip things to the side well. If you are only cooking for yourself it works fine, but even if I do a big rear end steak it doesn't always fit in well.

Okay cool, so I'll just hang on to the Anova and use it if I'm cooking something big but I don't have to keep it on the counter anymore.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Skyarb posted:

I used to work kitchens when I was younger. I remember when I would do dishes most kitchen would have these super high pressure sprayers in the sink. I'm guessing you can't get pressure high enough in a house to really get one for the home could you?

My cousin was a chef and had his kitchen remodeled and he has one.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Skyarb posted:

Trying to search on Google all I get are the wimpy detachable sprayers with the showerhead like streams. I am not sure where to find what exactly I'm looking for

I think he got it from a restaurant supply place

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I used my duo crisp instapot air fryer for the first time today and made buffalo wings. Delicious.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Is this a good place to ask about espresso machines? I don’t think they do rice.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I think weird marketing gimmicks has been a part of KFC marketing for a little bit now. They've made KFC candles in years past, the aforementioned firelog (can be found on Amazon), and several other gimmicks. Also of note this year is the 15-minute Lifetime TV special A Recipe for Seduction starring Mario Lopez of Saved by the Bell fame.

https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/1335947170281885699

So basically, the same people who got Mario Lopez to do that also made a video game console with a heating pan for fried chicken.

Wait is that console thing real? I assumed it was a joke.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's real bro

Is anything real anymore. Like, really. I mean really real. I'm starting to buy into this simulation argument.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Everyone seems to love air fryers. I think I would use one... maybe too much and my diet would become nothing but wings, fries, and mozzarella sticks. :v:

Costco has this 12 qt for $80: https://www.costco.com/emeril-lagasse-12-quart-air-fryer-pro.product.100696882.html

And this 6 qt for $40: https://www.costco.com/gourmia-6-quart-digital-air-fryer.product.100671799.html

Thoughts?

I got the attachment for my instapot. Love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Air-Fryer-One-Touch/dp/B07VT23JDM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=instapot+air+fryer&qid=1612917049&sr=8-3

I eat a lot of buffalo wings. TBH buffalo wings are not really that bad for you. Protein and a bit of fat, bit of sodium.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I actually ordered that one and they hosed up somehow and they ended up delivering it to the wrong apartment building, they sent me the one with wifi after I opened a support ticket. I'll never use the wifi feature.

e: I'm making this post so that people don't think I use wifi controls on an air fryer to be 100% transparent.

Did you post this from your air fryer over wifi?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Croatoan posted:

My fryer died. I also have a stupidly big toaster oven. Combine this with needing to conserve counterspace, can someone recommend an air fryer? I'm currently contemplating these 3 but can completely change my mind on a recommendation

Plain old air fryer, sucks because I lose counterspace
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VM28XTR/?coliid=I28Z2H77XWD6N1&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=1

Air fryer and toaster oven combo, gain counterspace because my current toaster oven is stupidly huge
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07T9GBYG4/?coliid=IHYFGNXSDC371&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=1

Air fryer and pressure cooker combo, meh I don't gain or lose counterspace I guess
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FDFP79J/?coliid=IYQI3Y661B46Y&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=1

I have an instapot with the air fryer accessory, and that's pretty good, easy to put on and whatnot. To be fair I've never owned another air fryer so I don't know if it's a great one, but I make a lot of buffalo wings.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Robviously posted:

My hometown had 3 rite aids in a 2 mile stretch for a while because of company buyouts and I am more angry now that none of them had ice cream counters what the actual gently caress

There used to be a cool olde-timey drugstore in Portland that had a lunch counter still with a soda fountain, ice cream and stuff, I used to go in and get a grilled cheese once in a while.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I got the one with a separate air fryer lid, and I do use that a lot. I have also used the sous vide functionality on mine a couple of times and it worked fine.

this is that one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT23JDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love buffalo wings, and they are basically dirt cheap if you buy them from a restaurant supply store in bulk and air fry them up in your instant pot in 20-30 minutes from frozen and they are actually pretty healthy so.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Some cultures just use the dishwasher to store clean dishes and wash everything by hand, so globally it all offsets itself.

When I was a kid we did this (I grew up in a cult and there was some pseudo mystical bullshit about dishwashers, microwaves also)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Chemmy posted:

I’m fine with a pasta bake but half a stick of string cheese per single noodle is a bad ratio.

Maybe you're not working with a big enough noodle.

*User was put on probation for this post*

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

SubG posted:

Now I want a goatse salt pig just for when we have company.

As long as it's cast from a mold and not just some artist's interpretation.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Been doing a lot of deep frying lately and it makes me miss my access to a real deep fryer at my old restaurant jobs

So I've been giving a thought to buying a one- or two-basket countertop deep fryer

Are there recommendations for a good solid one?

I’ve had good results with this cornballer brand.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I got rid of my rice cooker and switched to instant pot because I got tired of the nonstick coating coming off

I dump all my dishes and utensils inside the pot and fill it with water to soak it and make the rice easier to scrub off

My instant pots coating seems to be coming off, fyi.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Has anyone had good results with ceramic nonstick? I want a 10" or 8" just to do eggs/omelets in. My dad stayed with me for a while and he had one that worked really well.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I thought you generally do not want a microwave below 1100 watts as that is the wattage most recipes are designed around.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Are the air-fryer lids for the instant pot any good, or should I just spring for a whole new appliance? I'd rather not have another big hulkin' monstrosity taking up space in my cabinets if I can help it, but if that's the only way to get good results I'll take the plunge

I use it a lot. Like I make buffalo wings about 1x a week, get the frozen wings at Costco, use the pressure cook setting for 7 minutes i think the defrost, then air fry for like 9 minutes with some wing sauce in there.

I've never owned another air fryer though so I can't really compare it very well.

I got the 8 quart. One thing is the instant pot + the air fryer lid takes up a lot of vertical space, and the air fryer lid itself is pretty bulky. But it is only one appliance you are keeping on your counter, then just swapping lids.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

I don't remember who was asking about All Clad factory seconds sales, but I just got an email about one starting today.

https://homeandcooksales.com/

Discount (OCTVIP10) -$22.99

This code got me an additional 10%, came from Honey

*edit I think it got me free shipping too.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 10, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Does anyone have suggestions for hooks to hang all clad or cast iron pans from?

I don’t want one of those bars you put hooks on I want to just drill holes in my kitchen.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Taima posted:

Hey so, any advice on robo cleaners?

We do tons of cooking but I've always wondered if robo cleaners could handle the things a kitchen can throw around-

Potato peelings, shallot peels, sauce on the ground, maybe even a stray garlic clove. Is this a problem? We've considered an auto vacuum for years but I've never felt comfortable about it because I don't know anyone who actually owns one. Price not a concern but I need to make sure it will actually clean a very much in use kitchen.

In theory it would be loving awesome because we have to clean our floors pretty regularly, not because the floor is gross or whatever, but there's usually something on the floor after a big cook and I'm not trying to leave a few stray peels on the floor. This creates a lot of constant upkeep and if a vacuum could handle that each night after we go to bed, that would own.

Have you considered one of those wet / dry stick vacuums?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I often eat directly out of my food prep containers after microwaving them, so the glsss ones are really way nicer for this purpose.

I sometimes even put the whole glass thing into an oven, which you obviously can’t do with plastic.

Also in my experience the plastic sometimes get stained by stuff like pasta or curry and they’re often not dishwasher safe. I’d do plastic only if you plan on bringing the food out, since glass is too heavy for portable use.

I read if you rinse the container with cold water it prevents staining. This was a hack though so it’s of doubtful veracity.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

mystes posted:

I'm slightly confused because the title is "Bed Bath & Beyond plans to liquidate all inventory and go out of business" but the text says "But store closing sales will begin Wednesday, and Bed Bath & Beyond will close some stores. Just how many -- or what happens to its 14,000 employees --depends on what happens next. A bankruptcy filing does not necessarily mean that a company is going out of business. "

Unless something changes they will liquidate everything, so unless like a new PE firm or bank wants to inject capital which is highly unlikely.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

With prime day starting tomorrow I’m looking to get a toaster oven any recs?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

So if I buy from Penzeys Republicans don’t like that?

I want it more now whatever it is they sell.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FaradayCage posted:

Continuing on the topic of my taco addiction...

Would it be insane to purchase taco holders?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBNFPHG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z38S86S

I can't think of any reason to get stainless steel unless I planned to bake/broil. Can anyone think of a reason to do that with tacos? Or can anyone Alton Brown up some additional uses for these unitaskers?

You can crush Doritos nacho cheese and cool ranch chips and paint them onto soft tacos with mole or enchilada sauce then put them upside down on the stainless steel holders and crisp them to make true Doritos locos tacos.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

What's a good air fryer? I have the 8 qt Instant pot duo with the air fryer attachment. I almost never use t he instant pot for anything other than buffalo wings, and it's very hard to get clean, I'm thinking if I get an actual air fryer it would be much easier to clean?

My main use would be buffalo wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Is scrub daddy any good

They have 8 packs at Costco

Yes. 8 is a lot though, because they last a very long time. 8*3? Or 8 pads total?