Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Do pizza stones vary that much in quality or can I just pick up any old cheap thing? I need one for the turkey I'm roasting this year using this Serious Eats method: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/the-best-simple-roast-turkey-gravy-recipe.html

(family wants a "traditional" bird this year so no spatchcocking)

SE seems to be pimping their Baking Steel but the drat thing is like 80 bucks and since I live in NY, I can just walk like 50 feet outside my apartment and grab an amazing slice whenever I want, so I don't think I need something like that.

Is there a size I should get? Probably a rectangular stone since I'll be putting a bakers half sheet on it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Any specific one you'd recommend?

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I found a pizza stone I forgot I had bought like a year ago and used once. It was hiding out in the basement. Don't know the brand but hopefully it does the job! :)

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Yeah this is what I'm doing.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That is a stupid article. Nobody brines with just salt. You brine with aromatics, beer, sugar, molasses, etc. You want your turkey to taste amazing? Wet brine it in Guinness, 5% salt, pickling spice, and a bit of brown sugar.

You want a lovely moist turkey? Just use a 5% salt solution.

A dry brine isn't a "solution" at all. It's basically just a rub-down with salt, pepper and whatever other spices you want followed by a nice long rest in the fridge

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 25, 2015

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Anyone have experience with home cotton candy machines? I'd like to make my own at home but I don't know what the criteria for a good maker is.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Does anyone think this Pantelligent thing that's been getting some press has any merit to it? https://www.pantelligent.com/

I mean they're using this image as a way to sell people on it, ostensibly:

If I were served any one of those steaks at a restaurant, I'd have the waiter send it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

SubG posted:

Using a fry pan to cook a slab of protein is approximately the easiest loving thing you can learn to do in the kitchen, and having a thermal sensor and timer isn't going to help you with any more advanced techniques (like arroser or whatever).

If I was starting from zero and had US$200 to spend on one fry pan, I'd get a loving All-Clad MC2 or something and learn to cook, and I'd end up with enough left over to buy a really good bottle of mezcal which I could down in one sitting and still put together a better looking steak than the ones in those beauty shots.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. But I'm wondering if there isn't a market for the lazy 20-something who just got their first apartment. Then again, if you're that lazy, an Anova and a cast iron pan seem like better buys for the same amount of money.