Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SubG posted:

The Myhrvold injection approach does the same thing faster, if you don't mind fiddling around with needles.

I'm surprised that this is the first mention of injection brining in this discussion so far. You don't need to mess around with needles; just buy any regular meat injector like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Flavor-Injector-Stainless-Food-Facing-Professional/dp/B00HLGJR50. The tip is far too large to jab yourself with.

I smoke chicken quite a bit and injection brining works great. You get similar results compared to submerging the whole bird and it is neither messy nor a pain in the rear end. I usually combine injection brining with a somewhat generous salting of the skin (no more than you would use for roasting a chicken), then leaving it in the fridge for about 24 hours. The results have been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

No price range in particular; I'm not expecting it to be cheap. It just has to be electric. Otherwise my apartment won't let me use it.

Yes, I've already checked and they do allow use of electric smokers. And I'll be using it outside on a balcony.

Are any of the other Masterbuilts any good? Masterbuilt seems to be the only name that really comes up when looking at electric smokers.

I have one and I really like the results I get. I'm not exactly an expert on smokers, though.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I know we're talking about cast iron which isn't a speedy cooking surface anyways but using a diffuser under it would be insane to me, your apartment would heat up before your pan.

Nah, diffusers transfer heat quickly and evenly. I regularly use one with my enameled cast iron dutch oven when I want a gentler, more even simmer. There isn't a big difference in the heat-up time of the dutch oven + diffuser vs just the dutch oven.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

My girlfriend loves to make ice cream and currently owns an inexpensive Cuisinart with the pre-freeze churning bowl. I would like to buy her one of the compressor type of ice cream makers for her birthday so she doesn't have to worry about turning down the freezer and pre-chilling the churning bowl the night before.

I've read some good things about the Breville BCI600XL and the Whynter ICM-200LS. $400 is about my upper limit to spend, so those high-end $700+ Italian ice cream makers are out. Anyone have experience with these sorts of ice cream makers?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

deimos posted:

I have the Whynter ICM-15LS and it's excellent, but I have read that the Breville makes good ice cream also. According to The Sweet Home it's better but not $150 better. Check out the list of features and decide for yourself.

Also about the ICM-200LS they say:

Excellent. Thank you.

I read a few good reviews of the Whynter Ice Cream makers, but Cooks Illustrated gave the ICM-200LS a pretty scathing review and claimed that a previously well-reviewed version by the same manufacturer had been discontinued. That's the only thing giving me pause about buying the Whynter ICM-15LS right now.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ice-cream-maker/

Wirecutter recommends the Whynter and says the Cuisinart and Ariete didn't do so well

I have the Breville Smart Scoop that was the runner up on that list and can confirm that it makes great ice cream. I would definitely go with an ice cream maker that has a built-in compressor if you can afford one. The one's with the base that you have to put in the freezer overnight can be pretty finicky in my experience. You need to get them REALLY cold, or they won't be able to get the ice cream base cold enough.

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend the book "Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home". She formulated her recipes to work in home ice cream makers and the recipes are excellent.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I have a Duxtop induction hotplate. It's worked well for me. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

There are 2 kinds of people in this world: people who have cut the poo poo out of themselves on a mandoline, and people who have never used a mandoline.