Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I don't own an instant pot, but my zojirushi is rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I'm extra careful about avoiding cross contamination at home. Probably more than I need to be, but I've had food poisoning before (from a restaurant) and never ever want to go through that again.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

My roommate moved out and took his Vitamix with him, so now I'm blender-less. Anyone have a recommendation for a solid, if somewhat cheaper (let's say $50 max) blender that can hold me over until I'm ready to purchase a Vitamix/blendtec of my own?

Beg your roommate to come back.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

7qt minimum. The initial cost is high, but it will last a lifetime.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Man, i need a bigger microplane.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Who cares. Authentic Pecorino "Romano" is made in Sardinia now.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm sure he still ate it and enjoyed it, I'm just saying a medium-soft thing grates faster than a hard thing

They age 8 months according to their website. I don't know what that means for grate-ability.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

That is in line with traditional Italian farms.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Thinking about it, your original statement isn't true anyhow. At least with microplane graters, a hard cheese will grate much easier than a medium-hard cheese like cheddar.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Sorry, I don't know why I'm getting mad about this.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

There is a point where cheese is too soft to grate easily and smears. Above that there is a point where cheese is not very hard and grates easily because it doesn't offer much resistance. Above that is a point where cheese is hard and you need to put more effort into grating it. Think about softwood vs. hardwood.

I realize it won't be for awhile, but next time you go to a grocery store, try to put a thumbprint in vacuum-sealed boar's head and then in DOP pecorino.

I know how grating cheese works. I'm a loving professional cook. I'm saying those rules don't necessarily apply with a fine grater such as a microplane.

And to think I was concerned about being an rear end in a top hat.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I have no idea why you've posted 6 times freaking out at me.

I can tell you Parmesan that I bought the day before grates a lot faster than parm that's been in my fridge for a month. Because it gets harder, and that makes it more difficult to grate.

Yes, even using a microplane, like we've been talking about this whole time. I don't even own any graters besides microplanes.

I thought we were talking about Pecorino.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Can you two just gently caress already.

I'd rather you gently caress off entirely.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I have no idea why you've posted 6 times freaking out at me.

I can tell you Parmesan that I bought the day before grates a lot faster than parm that's been in my fridge for a month. Because it gets harder, and that makes it more difficult to grate.

Yes, even using a microplane, like we've been talking about this whole time. I don't even own any graters besides microplanes.

Why the gently caress would you believe that unless you were incredibly naive. Think a little about what makes Parmigiano Reggiano a great cheese.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I mean, I agree that this argument is all incredibly stupid and unnecessary.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't know why you've been so eager to poo poo on me, but can you please just loving try it before you continue multiposting WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! I can't even tell you how many dozens of times I've experienced the difference.

Hard cheeses are on a spectrum from relatively soft to very hard. Even within one type, the exact hardness can vary. Not all of those hardnesses grate with identical ease and speed. That's literally all I'm saying. I'd never have guessed it'd be controversial.

You have literally said nothing while trying to say everything. Please shut the gently caress up.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Soft cheeses are sometimes hard. You heard it here first.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

You are Wendys trying to be anything other than Wendys.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Camembert is sometimes Pecorino.

You heard it here first.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

You heard it here first.

I wish I had a better catchphrase, but i don't so whatever. Deal with it

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

gently caress insurance, and doctor visits

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Goddamn, graters gave me way more trouble than knives and mandolines ever did.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Copper pans basically are the Rolls Royce of pans in that they are a waste of time and money. Don't bother.

I mean you look pretty set as far as skillets go. Maybe take some time to experiment with what you have. Cast iron is only lovely if you don't take care of it.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Skyarb posted:

Been cooking with what I have for years and years. And I take care of my cast iron, but my point is that is a pain in the rear end. Do I do it? Yeah. Am I a lazy gently caress? Also yes.

Appreciate the insight on copper though. What about carbon steel?

Carbon steel is the same deal as cast iron. Its a smoother surface than cast iron, but you still have to treat it the same way.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Skyarb posted:

Isn't it lighter and typically easier to manuever?

Yeah, but not by much.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah, I switched to a Kuhn Rikon stovetop model from an electric, and it gets to pressure a lot faster.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

i got an ooni pizza oven. man i hope this works.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Post trip report please! We're definitely getting one (or a competitor) as soon as we buy a house, but that could be a year away.

I did a test run today, no actual cooking.

It was tough for me to light since I have no experience without a chimney starter. My normal newspaper was a huge failure and produced a shitton of ash. I finally got the thing going with some cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, but buying a Firestarter would probably be a lot easier.

Once I got it going it was pretty easy, just keep adding wood/charcoal in small amounts. I had some hickory chunks, and it seemed to work well. It gets hot as poo poo. I'd recommend getting an infrared thermometer.

I'll let you know when I actually cook a pizza, but the weather is going to be poo poo for next couple days.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

My Instant Pot arrived today and I made a stew with chuck pot roast, potatoes, celery, and baby carrots. It was... okay? I let it naturally vent for 40 min after cooking to help reduce the liquid but it still wasn't enough. Is this a situation where I should just make it on the stove in a stock pot? Or I should've just put less water in to start with?

I would depressurize it quickly and reduce with the lid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

whos that broooown posted:

I did a test run today, no actual cooking.

It was tough for me to light since I have no experience without a chimney starter. My normal newspaper was a huge failure and produced a shitton of ash. I finally got the thing going with some cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, but buying a Firestarter would probably be a lot easier.

Once I got it going it was pretty easy, just keep adding wood/charcoal in small amounts. I had some hickory chunks, and it seemed to work well. It gets hot as poo poo. I'd recommend getting an infrared thermometer.

I'll let you know when I actually cook a pizza, but the weather is going to be poo poo for next couple days.

Update on the Ooni Karu.

It owns pretty hard.

Well worth the money if you have outdoor space, imo.