Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Anyone recommendations for electric stove+ovens? The review sites I've visited just say stuff like, cooks food real fast. Budget is < $1000. Not looking for anything fancy like IoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

Okay thank you, gently caress to airfryers then.

I have one and like it a lot. I mainly just do chicken with it, gets it way crispier than my oven. It's obviously not the same as frying it in a bunch of fat but it's been great for crispy chicken and brusselsprouts.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

iospace posted:

Question, how worth it is an instant pot, and what size should I get (I'm pretty sure the first answer will be yes anyway)?

I'll probably end up using it more for rice than anything, but I like slow cooking food as well.

I don't know if it's just me but the rice always sticks to the bottom of the pot in my Instant Pot. Doesn't seem to work as well as a dedicated rice cooker.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Feenix posted:

Me, though... I do actually use a slow cooker a ton. Soups, stews, chili etc...
Sounds like maybe I should get one.

My question is, does it completely obsolete a crockpot? Like, can I get rid of mine for space? Or do I need to keep the slow cooker for certain things?

Yeah it can pressure cook to do in 45 minutes what a slow cooker does in a day or it can actually regular slow cook it for 8+ hours. I think the only caveat is that it's a circular, tallish pot so if your slow cooker is a long oval it can hold stuff like ribs or a pork loin better.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
They're good if you don't expect them to taste as good as regular frying since you're not dunking things in fat. The result is generally crispier than baking. But obviously not as tasty as actually frying. Also way less messy.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Isn't Chinese food always cut into bite-sized pieces because Confucius said that knives at the table are barbaric?

Yeah you don't cut anything in Chinese food, it should arrive pre cut. I don't know about the Confucius thing. The food can be full of bones though and you have to pick it out with your hands at the table.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Well not normally with your hands...

Everyone I've eaten with has used their hands. Like fish bones, pork short ribs, chopped chicken pieces full of bones, etc.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
For fish you do, everything else yeah you fish it out your mouth or something after.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Friend posted:

I learned recently that they leave the tails on shrimp in sushi because you're supposed to eat the tail, so I would think the logic would be consistent and you should eat the bones.

Sushi is Japanese though?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Seems like an ideal case for non stick.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'd imagine the stuff you're browning would stick to stainless steel.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Huh. My callous remover is from microplane. How about that. It works great by the way.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Not sure? It's this thing. I use it for my hands actually. So I don't tear a callous off while lifting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00R6P72JO/ref=mp_s_a_1_25_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523993282&sr=8-25&keywords=microplane&th=1&psc=1

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I ripped a callus right off my palm deadlifting once. I've grated my hands weekly ever since.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's convenient enough that you'd probably just cook more once you get it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What makes these better than a 15 dollar digital thermometer? More accurate? Reads temperature faster?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Don't forget hummus. I made that for the first time this weekend. Cooked the chickpeas in beef stock and then boiled it down. It was transcendent.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What makes a 250 dollar dutch oven better than a 50 dollar lodge? Tougher enamel?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

most importantly, lifetime warranty (even if you buy one used!).

my le creuset do is a lot lighter weight than the Martha Stewart one it replaced

Is lighter necessarily good? My understanding is they're made of iron right? Less mass = retains less heat. It's not like creuset uses an advanced alloy that is lighter while retaining all the other properties?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are the 80 dollar thermoworks readers significantly better than the 20 dollar thermopro readers? The descriptions provided by the companies make them sound similar.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Waterproof-Thermometer-Ambidextrous-Thermocouple/dp/B07R18W3W1?ref_=ast_sto_dp

3 second read time and +- 1 degree of accuracy for 30 bucks. What makes the MK4 better (if anything)?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Interesting. The first reviewer I found that compared the two said it did take 3 seconds but read a degree hotter than her MK4.

Did some more digging, and found one that said Thermoworks takes longer and a couple that said it took 3 seconds. Is the read time the main difference? We cook some meat that needs temperature taken maybe twice a month so I don't think an extra 2 seconds would bother us very much. Can definitely see that getting annoying if you use it daily though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So we've got a very unusually sized fridge fitted into a hole in our cabinetry. Any ideas on what we could get for a replacement? It's around 82 inches tall, 27 inches deep, 35 inches wide. Only two things at Home Depot fit those dimensions and they were over 7 grand. I have a feeling we'll have to settle for something not as tall and have a gap between the top of the fridge and the cabinetry?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My wife is too short to reach up there. We're mainly worried if the gap shows a bunch of unfinished wood or something.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any thoughts on the always pan? Over hyped or actually good at the things it says it does?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I saw some chat a few pages back, but I've been staring at 'air fryers' and convection toaster ovens for a while now and I can't seem to make up my mind. I read over the wirecutter article that just says get a convection toaster oven because its the same thing but more functional etc.

Looking for something that's like $200 tops and that is able to live on my counter. I see Breville and Cuisinart mentioned a lot but I'm clueless on model numbers.

What are you trying to do with it? We have a halogen convection oven and that thing will air fry a whole chicken and costs < $100. Probably wouldn't work well for toast though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, ours I think only would work for stuff you'd normally bake but want crispier. And you want more capacity than most air fryers.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Tricky Ed posted:

A lot of "pressure cooker" recipes are adapted from slow cooker recipes and don't adjust the liquid content, so be wary of recipes with a lot of liquid in them. The IP's strength is in compressing time and making things more tender than they normally would be, and doing it without losing much liquid in the process. Some of my favorite recipes don't have any extra liquid at all in them.

If you were doing meat or something, would you add some liquid or not none at all? I know the meat itself gives off a lot of liquids during the cooking process but I'm always worried it will burn before that happens. I generally add something like half to one cup when I pressure cook. Is that unnecessary?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Can you put a colander over it? Or will she bat at it until the whole thing has been knocked off the counter?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Reccs on a good coffee grinder or a guide on how to properly make coffee? My wife has a French press that she uses once a day with Dunkin Donut's coffee grounds. She just received a gift of some fancy coffee beans and wants to know more about how to make a proper cup of coffee.

She's the only one that drinks coffee in the house so we're looking to just make 1-2 cups a day.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Murgos posted:

A proper cup of french press coffee? My method is to place 4 scoops of whole beans, ground with a spice grinder until about as fine as Mortin's coarse kosher salt, into the bottom of the press. Pour 24 ounces of boiling water over them (some people say to wait a few minutes until the water is ~190ish, never tried that) and let the 'raft' of grounds float at the top for 1 minute. Once the minute is up stir the grounds thoroughly with a spoon and then wait 3 more minutes. Once the three minutes are up press the filter down, pour and enjoy.

This is adapted from various sources, Good Eats, Serious Eats, Babish and etc..

IMO the 1 minute raft period before stirring is the key. I used to just stir in the water right away and it was never a 'great' cup of coffee when I did that.

How big is one scoop of beans?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Isn't rubber the material of choice if you want heavy duty and easy maintenance?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ordered a carbon steel SBZ cleaver. A bunch of rust spots show up on it every time I wash it. Should be I be doing something specific to care for it?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah it's orange in color and just a few specks. I shook it dry after I first washed it and didn't wipe it down or anything. Will be wiping in the future.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
From what I read you just want to use anything acidic.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I thought I didn't like Italian red sauce but then we braised some lamb shanks last weekend in tomato, garlic, rosemary, carrots, celery, and red wine. And that sauce was divine. Sprinkled with minced raw garlic, lemon zest, and chopped parsley before serving.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are all sharpening stones roughly equal? I'm seeing stuff ranging from 2 to 10 bucks, is there much difference between them besides coarseness?

e: Also thoughts on a 12x18 or 15x20 cutting board? It's only a 9 dollar difference. Is this like Instant Pots where no one has ever regretted getting the larger one?

bamhand fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 21, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The main advantage of a wok is handling really high temps right? If I'm using an indoor gas stove a non stick pot/pan will likely serve the same purpose?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah my assumption is my home stove isn't going to get that hot so the non stick is fine. My dad has uses both interchangeably, but he's not a professional chef or anything. I only have a non stick at the moment. Debating if I want a wok.

e: It seems like with our lack of a hood in the kitchen, it really would require an entire outdoor set up to make good use of a wok right?

bamhand fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

mystes posted:

You should probably have ventilation when cooking anything. My impression is any sauteeing is extremely bad in terms of particulate matter.

We have a small vent thing that rises up out of our center island stove. I think it might do something for western style cooking but I don't think it will do poo poo for a wok.