Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
I like amazingribs.com for all BBQ- related questions. They are head and shoulders more obsessed than anywhere else on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

extravadanza posted:

Use them to punch out biscuits from a piece of dough for biscuits and gravy, if they aren't too big? I mean I just a regular drinking glass for that, but I guess these would be an upgrade.

Noooo don't do this! It pinches down the edges of the biscuits and keeps them from being as lofty as possible! You want a really sharp biscuit cutter to punch out biscuits. I have this 11 piece set and it's great for biscuits, cookies, bagels, doughnuts, cooking up a round fried egg, etc etc etc.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the recommendation up thread for the cheap Japanese mandolin. I have no idea how I've cooked this long without it. What kinds of awesome upgrades would I get if I sprung for a fancier one? My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking about asking for a nice one or buying one with my birthday money if the upgrade is worth it.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oh my god this website has my favorite cutting board for sale which I despaired at ever finding again because I bought two on hellah clearance at west elm and they didn't have a logo. Mine are at the point of needing to be retired and I thought I'd have to settle for something not as good.

You have just made my entire MONTH.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Architec gripper board. I have a nice wooden board but honestly I like the Architec better. It doesn't move on the counter, and I can chuck it in the dishwasher.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Of course they also rated the Kuhn Rikon the highest so what do they know.

Have the Kuhn Rikon garlic press, can confirm that I love it. IDGAF if it's a uni-tasker or not.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I mean my primary use for it would be general purpose so this works good for me. I just want it to be capable of making bread too. :)

I got Flour Water Yeast Salt at the recommendation of goons and his bread making methods don't require a stand mixer or kneading, just a 12qt Cambro and time. And a Dutch oven.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
IMHO, a stand mixer is one of those things that If you have the money and the room, go for it. I only pull mine out 5-6x a year but it makes things a billion times easier when I do.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ok thank y'all for confirming that it's a lovely gimmick. I saw it in Williams Sonoma last week and thought it was an early April Fools joke. I have seen a review of it where they said it can do everything an Artisan can do but I don't believe that for one minute.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

How trustworthy are the cook's illustrated equipment reviews?

I have found them to be extremely trustworthy- I mean, they do review the absolute gently caress outta all of the equipment that they recommend.

Also, speaking of thermapen, Serious Eats is doing a 20% off of the Thermapen Mk4 until midnight tomorrow (Tuesday 10/25).

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think when looking at CI equipment reviews you have to remember the audience that they write for- Minnie in Sheboygan isn't going to want to hear that the best way to sharpen her $30 Plastic handled knife is to throw it out, special order a $600 handmade heirloom blade from some Brooklyn hipster, and then get tits deep in ancient Japanese water stones.

CI recommends the $30 Victoronox that comes in a clamshell- so if you tear it the gently caress up on an electric knife sharpener and have to buy a new one every two years, no big whoop. Same for the coffee grinders; anything is gonna be better than Folgers, which is probably what most readers of CI are used to.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bought the helllllll outta this!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do I really need a Searzall? I've wanted one ever since they were announced, but I can't see myself neeeeeeeeding it.....

Also what's the deal with the Instant Pot? All of the housewives on my Facebook are going buttfuck crazy over it and near as I can tell it's more or less an electric pressure cooker with a warming function?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Not unless you're looking for a super high-powered blender like a Vitamix to make nut butters or other things that require the extra oomph. I've made it by on a food processor and a stick blender forever.

Same here. Between a stick blender and a food processor I can do everything except for make smoothies and cashew milk. And I bet I could probably do the cashew milk with the stick blender if I believed in myself hard enough.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone wanna recommend a good half sheet cooling rack that they bought on Amazon that they can verify is pretty rust proof in the dishwasher?

HALOOOOOOO

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Cooling rack, not pan

Pfffffft hah sorry! I use the Libertyware half size sheet pan cooling rack and they work great- I know I ordered them from Amazon.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I too have a Cuisinart stick blender and it has served me well. Would buy again.

Me three! I love that thing and have seriously considered ditching my generic blender because the stick blender does 95% of what I need a blender to do and my food processor would be able to handle the other 5%.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

Does anyone have any advice on juicers? My wife is really interested in getting one and I'm starting to do research on them and find out what ones are good value for the money and good value for the output, along with customer reviews and it's a lot to take in. Is there a juicing thread at all around here? I can't seem to find one.

IDK much about juicers, but I have this one and have really liked it the times I've used it. It's got 4.5 stars and is the #1 seller in centrifugal juicers on Amazon, and only costs $140. I don't remember why centrifugal is the way to go as opposed to another type of juicer, but I remember when I was researching that kind was supposed to be the best.

I use it to make pineapple juice and tomato juice for mixed drinks and cocktails and cooking and stuff- it's awesome!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

I don't know about what type of pan you need, but one thing that I've had drilled into my head thanks to an episode of The Splendid Table is that the pan must be preheated in the oven before pouring in the batter, or otherwise they won't rise properly.

Quoted for truth. Also from what I've read a muffin tin is ideal for popovers as there is more room for them to rise above the lip and then slump which is a good thing in popovers or a I've been told.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

I'm looking to buy something that makes slicing (not dicing, so not a food processor) vegetables and meats much faster. I recall from my first and only job in food service years ago working at Subway some huge stainless steel thing you'd feed things into and turn a crank to slice kind of like a hand-powered table-mounted circular saw for vegetables. I don't know what that kind of contraption is called, and searching on Amazon for variants of "food slicer," "vegetable slicer," "slicing machine," etc., either gets me little plastic mandolin slicers or electric variants of what I'm describing. I was hoping for something smaller than the one I remember, and manually powered rather than electric.

What is this thing called and how do I find one?

Here's a link to something that looks kind of similar, but is electric: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Commercial-Food/dp/B002SMC1ZU/

Once figuring out what to call the thing and how to find it, from then which specific model of such a thing should I buy?

Electric Mandoline?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

knowonecanknow posted:

I am going to be getting new appliances soon for a house we're moving into. What brands should I stick with or avoid? I need a good dishfucker 9000, a 36" gas cook top, convection gas oven and maybe a microwave/vent combo if they make one big enough to go over my cook top. I was looking at Viking cook tops but I cant seem to find any gas oven inserts. Suggestions?

Edit: The female is an ex chef and cooks/bakes a lot.

What’s your budget? That’s the fundamental thing to know before throwing out a question like that. Also, how long are you planning to be in the house? Are you expecting these to be your “forever” appliances (so they’ll last 20+ years) or do you plan on upgrading in the future? What kind of cooking/baking do you do most frequently?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Any recommendations on a small-medium broiler/roasting pan. I've been using the porcelain coated one that came with my oven for years and years and it works fine but is ridiculously big for most things. Easy to clean, doesn't warp under the broiler, dishwasher safe is a plus but not a requirement. I use it 2x month, so I don't want to spend a fortune.

Restaurant supply quarter or half sheet pan? Or do you need deeper sides than that?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Really, seriously, extensively sit down with your fiancé and THINK long and goddamned hard about how you live your life now, a year from now, five years from now, and ten years from now. Are y’all already the type of people who throw dinner parties on the reg for parties of 6-12 people? Do you currently host Thanksgiving? Do you own a house with a formal dining room and furniture to store rarely used plates and silverware and crystal? How do you feel about the plates/ cups/ silverware that you already own? Are you planning on having kids in the next three to seven years? Are you going to buy a house?

I ask all of this because I have never ever in m life ever encountered anyone who has said “drat I use that set of twelve crystal wine glasses that I got from my registry all the drat time and am so glad I got them!” But I do know a shitton of people who are still using the everyday dinnerware stuff ten and fifteen years later. When you ask for amounts of stuff consider the room you have now and the room you are planning on having ten years from now- you don’t want to be like my husbands grandma with a set of 16 pewter goblets in the sideboard that she unwrapped after her wedding 60 years ago, shoved in the sideboard, and then gave to her grandsons wife 60 years later. Only register for what you need and will use. It’s totally ok to ask for extravagant stuff but ask for the really COOL extravagant stuff like awesome handmade artisan cheese boards with matching knife or whatever. Things that you’d want to show off.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

rgocs posted:

Costco has a Foodsaver vacuum sealer on sale, has anyone had any experiences with the FM2000? Toying with the idea of getting one to freeze foods bought in bulk and sous vide cooking. https://m.costco.ca/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealing-System-with-2-Bonus-Rolls.proWereduct.100363106.html

Looks like the upgraded version of the one I have, and I love mine. Does what it needs to do! The bags/foodsaver rolls go on sale all the time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

rgocs posted:

Cool, thanks. I've read some comments about it not sealing properly, maybe not heating or pressing strong enough. Any issues with that?

When I switched from the long roll of sealing bag material where you had to seal both ends to make a bag to the pre made bags I had zero trouble with it not sealing, so I think people were not sealing their bags properly at the “bottom” when they went the DIY route. Folding the top of the bag over before putting stuff in to keep the lip clean helps a lot too.