Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Get a Vollrath. You can never go wrong with commercial quality kitchen equipment.

Yeah, Vollrath stuff is great, I have one of their nonstick pans and it's easily the best nonstick I have ever used. I'd get one of the carbon steel ones but I already have an All-Clad tri-ply that works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

kinmik posted:

So the consensus is that air fryers are gimmicky and bad, which is pretty much what I needed to hear, thanks. We moved into an apartment with awful coil burners, so a wok's out. Would a dutch oven fare well on those? Aside from just getting a deep fryer, that's my second choice; it only helps that I really love making stews and such, so it could pull double duty.

I have a lovely coil range and my enameled cast iron dutch oven works great for deep frying, stews and so on. Also because it retains so much heat the crappyness of the coil burners is minimized.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Is there a huge difference in quality between different brands of teflon-coated frying pans, and if so, any recommendations? Are cast iron pans better or worse than those for frequent use?

I cook for me and my partner (who is trying to bulk so he eats a lot) multiple times a day and I tend to use the same small frying pan for most meals that don't involve the oven/a pot/a wok. I just bought a cheap one from Kroger a couple of months ago and it's already a piece of poo poo that fried eggs stick to in the morning, despite a generous coat of butter. I promise I am not routinely burning poo poo in it or scrubbing it with brillo pads that scratch the coat or anything. If there isn't much difference in quality, is it just using it 3 times a day that's wearing it out quick?

There are differences in quality, but you only really find much higher quality when you get into the more expensive stuff, i.e. Vollrath.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

taqueso posted:

What's a good potato ricer? Should I care if it has multiple die sizes?

The "good cook" brand ricer we have been using is crap and the opposite of ergonomic.

Maybe consider a food mill instead? I know people say the OXO one is good.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I bought a food dehydrator at WalMart and have eaten jerky meat out of it. Am I gonna die?

Yes, you will die eventually.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

tonedef131 posted:

The time to do away with my glass top rice cooker has come and I'd like to get something respectable. Can someone who has fuzzy logic experience explain to me why this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074CDG6C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRFGCEF0ASJ5&coliid=I2LLN2UG9VGWYH&psc=1

is worth $60 more than this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OBC3/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRFGCEF0ASJ5&coliid=I1E8COTV70C691&psc=1

I'm only using it like once or twice a week, usually only for me and my wife but with the occasional guests.

As was said, it just produces much better rice. I also like the Micom because it's much easier to clean than other rice cookers, the inner lid comes right out so you can properly clean it in a sink and when the inner nonstick bowl wears out you can just buy a new one from Zojirushi for like $35 so it should last you a long time.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

sharktamer posted:

I got myself some ceramic pots as part of this set (which I managed to get for only £30, complete steal). I've tried using them a few times, but they're incredibly slow. I thought maybe it had something to do with them not working so well with the induction hob, but have I maybe just been misunderstanding how ceramic pots work? Do they naturally take longer to heat up and is it that I just shouldn't expect such an immediate furious reaction?

They're made of aluminum, induction won't work worth poo poo for them, you need a ferrous metal, i.e. iron or steel.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

sharktamer posted:

Oh I understand how induction works, that just never occurred to me cos I'm an idiot. So yeah, the base of the pan is heating up which heats up the ceramic in turn I guess? So it's obviously going to heat up slowly, would that be the problem?

e: I made an incredibly goony video indicating the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadKJ6mVdrU

I think the second pan may actually have problems with the induction since it seems to engage on and off constantly, whereas the third one at least keeps a "connection".

Anyway, I think I just need to return the new (red) pot I bought and get myself a good quality fully metal one. I just liked the idea of having something nice and non-stick and easy to clean, but maybe I'll just have to compromise.

The ceramic part does not really matter, it's the metal the cookware is made of, the fry pan in the video must have some steel somewhere in its base, the first pot also has steel in the bottom, the second pot which does not boil the water at all must be 100% aluminum. Another thing that matters for induction is good contact with the cooking surface because magnetic fields drop off in strength so rapidly with distance.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Teeter posted:

I'm looking in to the Cole & Mason pepper mill, going off of the Cook's Illustrated write up. Only thing I'm left wondering now is... why?

Someone please convince me that spending $30+ on a pepper grinder is worth it. Cooking has probably become my #1 hobby over the past year or so but I have no experience with anything beyond the cheapest pepper grinders.

I've found that cheap ones fall apart pretty quickly, also the better ones grind faster and adjust to different grain sizes better.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="456494138"]
Am i broken? I handled a few Shun knives the other day and they feel like there's no substance to them. Is it me, or are they really that light?

Japanese knives in general are very light compared to western knives because they are much thinner. For example a Wusthof classic 8-inch chef's knife weighs 8.5oz while my 9-inch Konosuke Ginsan gyuto weighs 5.75oz.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Thinner but just as strong because glorious nippon Quentin Tarantino folded steel right?

While the steel is significantly harder it's also more brittle as a result so you have to be more gentle with most japanese knives to avoid chipping and other damage, though it still takes quite a bit to chip most knives, i.e. trying to cut through bone and such. Both types of knife have their place in the kitchen though my pick for a western Chef's Knife would be something like a Victorinox Fibrox which is very tough but also fairly light at 6.5oz for the 8-inch Chef's Knife. For cutting through bone and such a cleaver is probably your best bet, it has the heft, softer steel and thickness that suits that task.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait, people use ziplock bags with vacuum sealers?

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure they're saying that vacuum bags are cheaper than Ziplock bags in the long run.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

tonedef131 posted:

What are you guys using to make shakes/malts? In my regular blender it gets too runny and my immersion blender can't power through the frozen clumps and it doesn't get smooth enough. I don't really want to get a drink mixer since I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cabinet space and I imagine the consumer level ones have poo poo motors anyway. Is there any other way to get a thick, smooth shake?

No.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Would a Vitamix really not fill the bill?

They said consumer level and I think of the Vitamix as more of a professional level appliance, also yes, it would work fine if they are willing to spend the money.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Isn't that what they all do? If you want to reduce garlic to that sort of ultra-pungent ultra-fine consistency, what's wrong with just pounding it flat with your knife? And if you want a larger form of sliced or chopped, the press just plain can't do that.

A knife can't get the garlic anywhere near as fine, at least not without a lot of mincing afterwards. I like the ceramic grater I got for garlic and ginger for this, it's super easy to clean and turns both garlic and ginger into paste, it's a little more work than a press but it gets good enough results that it's worth it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Put some plastic wrap on top before grating. No cleanup necessary.

Ehhh, I don't see the point, I only need to run it under water for a few seconds to get it clean.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hed posted:

Do I need a food mill? I'm trying to do this pizza sauce recipe which takes 1 can of whole ground 6-in-1 tomatoes strained through the small holes and a couple pints of grape tomatoes strained through medium holes. Presumably to keep all the seeds out?

I'm just wary of acquiring and storing a bulky pot-like device when I can get high-end blenders, food processors, or sieves that are probably more versatile. I'm going to try the recipe this weekend without, I'm just wondering what I am missing or if there are any other things that they are good for.

Food mills are super useful, for instance there is noting that makes mashed potatoes as well as a food mill.

IIRC the OXO one is supposed to be very good for the price.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

vuk83 posted:

So me and my wife are buying a new apartment, thats being built, and going to be ready in march.
We have the option of upgrading some of the appliances, but dont really know the quality of the new appliances.
We are thinking about upgrading
Stove top, to a kitchenaid induction top.
Oven to a kitchenaid oven
And combined fridge/freezer to a kitchenaid model.
Is kitchenaid a good brand for major appliances?

Get a subscription to Consumer Reports, they have good testing and ratings on appliances and even within a brand quality can vary greatly from one model to the next.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone recommended the Kuhn Rikon peeler but I got one and it rusts like hell. WTF guys

Weird, mine doesn't, to be specific I got this one and it works great and doesn't rust.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Peep Jerky posted:

Cutting board question: is it normal to expect a wood cutting board to warp over time, and how much? I bought one a while ago and when I got it home I noticed it was slightly warped (one corner doesn't touch the counter, so it wobbles like a fast food restaurant table). It didn't seem that bad though, so I decided not to return it, but now with use and washing, it seems like it's getting worse. Any chance of flattening it out, or should I see if it came with a warranty or something?

That tends to happen with wooden cutting boards, especially edge-grain ones, usually if they have been exposed to moisture and/or heat for extended periods. And no, it should not happen but since it is an issue frequently caused by improper care I doubt it would be covered under warranty.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Can anyone give me a good summary of a food processor Vs. a blender? I mean I get the general gist but there must be some cross over.

I don't have a huge amount of space and also don't want to spend a fortune so I thought a blender might work better. I made pesto by hand last week which went ok but was pretty inefficient.

Food processors are better for chopping up lots of stuff, better for sticky ingredients like meat, they can also kneed dough a bit, though a mixer is much better for that. Blenders are great for wet ingredients, making smoothies, sauces, that sort of thing. One thing to keep in mind is that a decent food processor is not terribly expensive but a good blender that won't burn its motor out quickly, can handle stuff like ice in a smoothie and that can evenly blend thicker mixtures is going to be very expensive and fairly large. In general I feel that a food processor is much more versatile than a blender but a blender does some things that nothing else really can, like the aforementioned smoothies and milk shakes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

No Wave posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised that you guys are responding this way. I don't use a food processor for anything except pie dough and use a VitaPrep for everything else.

Not everyone has a $500 blender? :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feral Integral posted:

I want to get my sister a nice knife for her birthday so she can stop squeezing onions with her crappy ceramic piece and chop her fingers off. There's a million review sites and poo poo out there for kitchen equipment but I can't tell whats real and whats advertising. Is there something you guys recommend in the $100ish price range? Bonus if it comes with a sharpening steel and can doink enemies for 9999 damage.

Looking for a ~8inch chefs knife that will last a while

For $130 I would get this, it's a very, very good knife along with being pretty as hell. This one should last a lifetime in home usage, though just like any other knife it will need sharpening every once in a while. If you want something cheaper but not as good and much plainer looking grab a Tojiro DP off of amazon. If you want something at a more disposable price a victorinox fibrox is a good choice, though they have gone up in price so I say just get the Tojiro DP instead since it's a much better knife and not all that much more expensive.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Hi all, I am a dumb baby and am new to cookware. I love my gas stove since I can use the shittiest, warped, cookware on it and it doesnt matter. I'll be switching to a glass top electric stove and can't use trash on it anymore. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a whole set? I've been looking at Calphalon stuff but I want to be sure about what kind of materials are the best. Budget is under $500.

I like Tramontina stuff, here is a good set.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Gameko posted:

Oh, the new cooker purchase isn't just for pressure cooking. My old ZJ was ruined when my inlaws used it for a week and scratched up the bowl with a metal spoon, further scratched it with a scour pad, and cracked the lid hinge.

Rice sticks to the bowl now in spots and the cook is inconsistent. I need to replace so I'm trying to decide if I should get another ZJ or if I should consider pressure cooking as an option.

Make them pay for a new one.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You're not married, are you?

Nope. But then when I have people over I make it clear that if they break my stuff I expect them to pay for it, I adopted this policy after someone set fire to my loving apartment because apparently when they are drunk their lighter, aerosol cans and my loving drapes make a great combo.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Is this part of the greeting at the door, or something you mention when inviting them? Do you have signs?

It gets mentioned before they come over.

It's sort of necessary since I have had too much of my stuff broken and stolen by extended family, friends of friends and so on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

rgocs posted:

I really hope he's talking about having mad drunken parties, and it's more of a "Hey everyone! Party at my place, invite your friends! But remember, if you break anything you pay for it!".

Mostly people crashing at my place after a night out. That and certain extended family members that I did not have much choice but to let in. Try waking up to find your PC, work laptop, speakers, TV and various other valuables gone and have your other family tell you you should not be mad at the person who did it because "We're sure he had a good reason." and "You didn't really need those things did you?".

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

We have to replace our crock pot is something like an Instant Pot Pressure cooker a good alternative? anyone used one and happy with it?

I have one and it works great. A ton of other people in the thread have them too and everyone seems to like theirs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SweetBro posted:

So this is a thing. Can qualified goons confirm if this is legit?

These have come up before, they are a scam. They are actually fairly average chinese made production knives with a lot of fraudulent marketing BS.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

Saw this on my FB feed back in March. Should have known better but ordered it after seeing lots of good reviews and stuff. Probably one of my dumber days.

Thought nothing of it until I saw this post.

Requested cancellation / refund last night. Whew...

They are not completely terrible knives, just no better than what you could get at Ikea or whatever for far less money. Basically infomercial knives with a somewhat different pitch. If you want a good set of knives that are actually worth the money check out Chef's Knives To Go and get a decent Gyuto and maybe a paring knife.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, but like which specific one is the best? The Change Jar of Gimmicky Kitchen Purchases is like 3/4 full, it is almost time to start weighing our options.

Look for one that uses induction heating, they are much faster and more accurate with their temperatures. Here is an induction pressure rice cooker which should get you very good rice very quickly if you are willing to pay nearly $400 for it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

Oh man, the change jar usually only holds like $250-300. Gotta cull some pennies out I guess.

There are induction, non-pressure based models for $250-$270, those are still very, very good since they heat up really fast, they just can't accelerate the cooking process even more via pressure.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

My wife is a teacher and through her teacher perks thing we can get a refurb Vitamix for half price ($329 Canadian). Is this worthwhile if she's a smoothie fanatic? We have some piece of poo poo Oster that leaves seeds whole.

Yes. I'm pretty sure you could puree a brick with a Vitamix.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Funny, I was just about to ask if this reconditioned Vitamix is a good choice. We are getting a very large gift card from them due to a mess up with some furniture. Also, is this rice cooker a good choice?

That Vitamix should be fine. I have that rice cooker and it works well, though WS's price there is sort of hilarious, I paid $80 for mine. If you can you should step up to the induction heating model for faster cook times.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

Funny things get said from time to time, but this actually caused me to spit take onto my desk.

Thank you for this.

For content: I see a lot of recipes and stuff refer to Maldon salt for finishing. What is Maldon. Yes I could google, but I like talking poo poo out with you lot.

[edit]

3 things:

1) this is sad. Condolences.

2) Fitness chick's last name was "burger". I love it.

3) Reasonable or not, I always kind of think about what would happen if the blade on my vitamix shot off. I'm pretty sure it would go up, but for some reason, in my imagination, it frisbees, full force, into my gut. For this reason, I don't let my 4 year old watch me at eye-counter level when I make smoothies and poo poo.

Crazy, I know.

When a spinning object like that lifts off it generally goes sideways, not just straight up. My father had a story from back when he worked at DEC in the 60s and 70s, they had a very large platter based data storage device, essentially a massive HDD, used for storing company data. This device could have the platter stacks switched out and occasionally needed maintenance performed on it, replacement of motors, stuff like that. So the thing had a lid that could be unlocked and opened to get at the inside. They were working on it and went off to have lunch and somehow the thing got turned on with the lid open. The stack of platters slowly lifted off from the spindle and then the second it tilted in the air it took off and embedded itself in the nearest wall, they were really lucky no one was in the way of the drat thing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Doc Walrus posted:

Here it is! It's an INTEY brand peeler.

And yeah, this probably isn't viable for anything except vegetables. I'll still try it and let y'all know how miserably I fail to cut a steak with a potato peeler. :haw:

Don't try it, it's ceramic, you are more likely to break it than anything else.

Anyway, if you want to make shaved steak then just use a knife and put the meat in teh freezer for a little while to let it partially freeze, with the meat very firm it's very easy to get clean, thin slices.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SubG posted:

Spraying liquid nitrogen around a room is a good way to painlessly commit suicide but a pretty bad way to cool down a steak.

As swickles says, you're unlikely to overcook a s-v steak by searing it if you're searing properly. No idea what the comment about salt is supposed to mean though.

If you're really worried about it just using an ice bath is going to be more than sufficient unless your tolerances are so tight you're titrating individual steak molecules or some poo poo.

The top bit is incorrect, it's very difficult to hurt yourself with LN2 via suffocation even in a closed room.

I agree that just searing in a pan should be fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What about liquid oxygen, then? Pretty hard to kill yourself with an oxygen overdose, and it's even colder than liquid nitrogen.

Oxygen at any significant concentration is incredibly flammable, messing with that stuff anywhere near a stove and just in general is very dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SubG posted:

That's not what I said, but whatever. Since I'm apparently having trouble making myself clear: I am not saying using LN is inherently deadly or anything like that. I am saying that LN is dangerous and if you don't know how to handle it you probably shouldn't.

You said:

SubG posted:

Spraying liquid nitrogen around a room is a good way to painlessly commit suicide but a pretty bad way to cool down a steak.

As far as I know the only painless suicide via LN2 is nitrogen asphyxiation. I do agree that there are risks associated with handling LN2 and that anyone interested in its use should educate themselves on the risks associated with its use.