Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Knifegrab posted:

This looks awesome! Is there any tool I can get to ensure she doesn't cut herself on the slicer, I know a lot of cheaper slicers come with like a "cover handle" to slice the veggies/fruits with but not endanger cutting your hands.

I'm an idiot ignore me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, even with the guard, use a terry cloth kitchen towel for extra protection (props to chef cuisinart for this tip, btw). As another poster stated in the previous thread, the mandolin demands blood and will not rest until it has tasted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

DARPA Dad posted:

I found a pizza stone I forgot I had bought like a year ago and used once. It was hiding out in the basement. Don't know the brand but hopefully it does the job! :)

consumerism.txt

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I like my kenwood major. My mom likes her Kenwood too, bought in the 70s, still going.

I always feel like the "bought it X years ago, still going strong" reviews are somewhat worthless, because most companies cheap out on manufacturing expenses nowadays (at least compared to the iron workhorses they made decades ago). Just my two cents.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Do I need a juicer if I already have a blender?

I make a lot of smoothies, but want to start making juice to bring with me to work (but would like to avoid buying another gadget if possible). Recipe would be something like an apple, lemon juice, spinach/kale, etc.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

We throw our change into a gallon jug and when it's full we spend it on kitchen stuff. Last week it was full and I made an impassioned speech about getting a high-end toaster oven, but I failed. We did end up with that juicer that someone recommended a few pages ago and that thing is better build and more sturdy than the last drill press I bought. When the handle cams-over at the end of the stroke it's almost sexual.

What was the model, again? I'm tempted to get a juicer, particularly if it helps with arousal.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

almost everything is improved with crispy egg on top.

True statement

Bummer, I was hoping it wasn't a citrus only juicer. I'm looking for like apple and fennel and poo poo.

Edit: ugh. my phone just autocorrected "apple" to "Apple". The future we live in is weak.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 4, 2016

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

E. Double post

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's cool that they're replacing all potentially affected blades, though. That's got to cost them a lot of money.

Still cheaper than a class action lawsuit.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

Sweet, thanks for this. I've been using a poo poo thermometer forever and am psyched to get a Thermapen!

EDIT: I picked red

Ditto, and ditto.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just hold it upside down when you use it. Duh.

Or just move to Australia

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Or just have two+ pans: one Teflon and one regular. I mean poo poo, I've got a carbon steel pan, a Teflon pan, and a cast iron pan. Each has their place.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I have a Winco Fish Spatula that is awesome and that I use all the time; It is very well designed and works on a lot more than just fish. Should be your first hit if you search "WinCo fish spatula" on Amazon.

E. poo poo, just saw you said non-stick pan. Got nothing for you on that one.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I've got a small and large electric kettle from chefs choice or whatever. Not programmable in the slightest, but they lasted ~5 years each so far with no problems.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Any recommendations on a silicone-covered whisk?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

My fiance is starting a wedding registry and I figured I should at least find out what goons would recommend when it comes to china/crystal. I remember someone having a few good posts on the subject in the not too distant past, but can't seem to find them. My hope is to just have one set of nice "everyday" china and stemware that we use all the time (and replace piecemeal as it breaks).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Thanks Steve, those were the exact posts I was talking about! Also, to the other poster, I completely agree; I am trying to make this our "one set" that we use all the time because I know way too many people who have a fine china set that gets used once a year. We cook a lot at home though, so we'd get good usage out of a quality set (and I'd like to toss my current stoneware set from my mom's first marriage in the 70's that I've been using for the last decade), and we like to drink so the stemware would see good rotation. Trying to keep my fiance away from the serving sets etc cause we will likely never use half that poo poo, but sometimes you have to pick your battles (she originally wanted an everyday set AND a fine china set).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

My understanding is that bamboo is rougher on your knives, however, and will dull them at a significantly quicker rate.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Most of your post had nothing to do with whether people actually used wooden cutting boards, but whatever. Can you make a separate thread for yourself cause you are kind of making GBS threads up this thread in your efforts to sound smart.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

It will last a long time and will provide a more consistent product and therefore is worth the investment. Think of it like the good expensive boots v. cheap boots analogy.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Don't be ridiculous. I use my tanto for such endeavors. Long blades would be foolish in confined spaces.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I've got one of those "misto" pump oil sprayers and it works alright I guess, but not much better than just a regular spray bottle you'd get from the dollar store.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/williams-sonoma-striped-towels-navy/?pkey=cdish-cloths-towels&isx=0.0
These are my favorite. I think I’ve had the same half a dozen for 5 years now? They maybe have a few stains and are starting to get a little tired, but they’ve held up very well.

I also have these and I’d buy them again

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

canyoneer posted:

You know what the difference is between a chickpea and a garbanzo bean?

I've never paid to have a garbanzo bean on me

The line is “I’ve never paid to have a garbanzo bean in my mouth”, fyi

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Like all things, OXO makes a squeeze bottle that costs a little too much but works great.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

SubG posted:

Are you living in the Swamp Thing's sock drawer or something? Because unless where you are is super loving humid and full of mold spores you can just string peppers peppers together and hang them or something like that if you want to dry them without using heat.

You can also just leave the last crop on the plant until it dies off at the end of the season and pull the whole plant and hang it.

Way to be an rear end in a top hat about humidity

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Also, you can use the benzo for cool stuff, like buying cedar planks, lighting them on fire, and placing a glass over it then using it for a smoky old fashioned.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

What do my girlfriends and cutting boards have in common?

They’re both “soakin’ wet”

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

My previous cutting board was thick like my last girlfriend and it still split like my last girlfriend

Maybe the air in my area is just dry

Like your last girlfriend?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Lodge is fine. It works just as well as my le crueset, just heavier.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

What is this thing called?

I don’t know, but the only other place I’ve seen one was in a cafe called “coffee club” in Kyoto, Japan. Maybe try searching for percolators?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Ice Cream/Sorbet

E. To be lesss snarky, I really like Alton brown’s summer sorbet recipe., as it is pretty versatile; https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/summer-sorbet-recipe-1959612.amp

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 10, 2020

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

It’s a lot of pepper to take, if you’re not prepared

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I know I just missed coffee burr grinder chat, but I bought my wife one of the Kyocera hand burr grinders a few years ago and she loves it, but is getting tired of having to manually grind bean every morning before she makes coffee for herself (I don’t drink coffee). Is there a good “one or two cups” electric burr grinder? Our entire house is 500sqft or less (southern california), so I’m trying to keep the form factor relatively small, but price is not a concern (especially if it’s easy to clean and durable).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

GRILL through the ditches and
SEAR through the witches and
BURG with the weight of my SMASHULA

:worship:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I swear someone posted in this thread ages ago about a specific brand that is supposed to be the best. I know that’s not much help , but good luck.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

butter for thermal paste

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Is there a preferred nonstick saucepan? Just need a 1.5qt or smaller cheap guy for melting butter, etc. Gas range, fyi.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I will say that until this post I didn’t consider melting butter to be task that benefited from nonstick pans.

Maybe it’s just my mind, but it (and stuff like twice-refried black beans, Oaxaca cheese, and even rice) come out of the pot easier with Teflon

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Well you definitely are proving your ability to sound like a condescending poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Have you looked at carbon steel skillets? Lodge makes serviceable ones that may hit the points you are looking for