Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Was surfing this finnish auction site, found a meat slicer, 3-phase driven (note 3ph plug)
3-phase motors are much cheaper to maintain and operate then single phase motors. This was built before electronic frequency switches became cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Are convection ovens really that rare in the US? Here in Germany most recipes include a value for convection ovens. For example: a box of frozen pizza says 200° with top+bottom heat or 180° in a convection oven.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

and a lifetime warranty

For a good enamel pot this is unreasonably short.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Oracle posted:

Its the appliance anniversary so tell me about air fryers and moka pots - good brands, etc.

For moka pots I like Bialetti. Their Moka Express or the Venus if you prefer stainless over alu.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like you have a stainless steel moka pot, I stopped using my aluminum one after reading about how much aluminum you actually ingest (I'm always a skeptic but it's actually a worrisome amount), I've heard the SS ones don't work as well, is that true? Is it basically the same?

I used to use a stainless one and now use an alu one. Almost entirely because the steel one was sold out everywhere when I broke my old venus.
I noticed no real difference. It might take a bit longer to heat, but that is little enough difference that I am not sure.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

If you cut your bread yourself using a machine in Germany, you have one of those collapsible bread slicers in a drawer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x2qtZKvcPY

Those fully automatic fingerbread slicers are operated by the minimum wage employees at the bakery counter. Or you can grab pre-sliced bread off the shelf, but it is stereotyped as the lowest quality of bread.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

PolishPandaBear posted:

I was waxing nostalgic about my time in Berlin and all the delicious Doner Kebab a few months ago and did a deep dive. The consensus was that they don't work anywhere near as well as the larger restaurant ones.

I think most videos/recipes recommended marinating or seasoning the meat, freezing it (as individual pieces, or formed into a log if using ground), slicing it super thin when frozen, then pan frying.

I think that the best fake home kebap is made under a broiler. I like starting with shredded chicken tights, add some fat/oil ,ideally the rendered fat from the first cooking, and flavouring and give it a few minutes under the broiler.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Why would you buy a wok like this, when you could buy an 8kW induction wok instead?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Edward IV posted:

And an electrician if you don't have a 220V 50A circuit in your kitchen.

Still, that's alluring and potentially amazing but I shudder at how much it'll cost.

It doesn't need 50A. Because it attaches to 400V three phase.
And it is priced for institutional kitchens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I got a Thermapen 10ish years ago for almost 100€ including shipping. Now it is breaking and I wish I had bought 10 cheap pens instead.

Anybody know a quick fix? It is no longer turning on reliably. I had to refold and unfold it several times to get it to turn on for over a year now. Recently it only works if I put pressure on the hinge part from the side, the on switch seems to be broken.