Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

captkirk posted:

Yeah, we're thinking of the same Cruisinart one. That's why I'm looking for other options, I irrationally chafe at the preset temps only.

EDIT: The Bonavita you referenced seems to have a large portion of complaints about build quality and DOA.

I got the 1L bonavita a couple months ago and have had no problems yet. The build quality complaints on amazon made me wonder if they were getting counterfeits, a concern I avoided by not buying from amazon.

SubG posted:

SBZ S210-1

I also received this thing last week following your recommendation in the knife thread and I’m really really enjoying it, so thank you for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Nobody’s arguing that a wok isn’t the best thing to make stir fry in, friend. They’re just pointing out that a wok takes up a lot of space and if you don’t make stir fry very often, you might prefer to have that space for other things.

E: went back and looked and the original question is in fact about stir fry, but on an induction burner. I’d be amazed if you could get good performance out that combo even with a flat-bottom wok, just because induction relies on close contact between the element and the pan to create heat, but woks don’t cost very much so if you want to try it don’t let subg scare you off

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 18, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

1redflag posted:

Since we are on coffee chat, is there a “best” style/brand/model of those pour over coffee drippers that look like a cone on top of a saucer? I don’t drink coffee, but my wife does, and I want to get her one to use for iced coffee, etc. I was going to get her a Chemex, but our house is crazy tiny and cabinet/counter space is incredibly limited.

Hario if you don’t mind getting special filters, clever or melitta if you want to be able to pick up filters at the supermarket. The clever has a valve that closes while the coffee brews, while the melitta has a smaller hole that restricts flow. I haven’t actually used a melitta cone but it’s allegedly the lowest effort for passable results. Hario has a big hole that requires you to manage the rate you pour to get the best tasting coffee, which may or may not be more effort than your wife wants to put in.

Side note: i left my first clever dripper in iraq, and when i tried to get a replacement off amazon I got a very poor quality knockoff. Just something to be aware of.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Is this a good place to ask about espresso machines? I don’t think they do rice.

There’s also the coffee thread, depending on how much of a coffee person you are

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Omne posted:

Anyone use Made In pans? My wife got me a set for my birthday, and I was seasoning the 12" blue carbon steel frying pan with their wax and it seriously looks like I burned through the pan, to the point where I can see the Made-In logo from the cooking surface. I was using medium heat, 10 out of 20 on my cooktop.

I don't know about that specific brand but carbon steel heats up fast, especially if you're used to cast iron, and the heat will spread even less than cast iron because it's so thin. Even on medium heat I'd expect it to get ripping hot within a few minutes, but only in the hotspot. That might be one to season in the oven.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bamhand posted:

Any thoughts on the always pan? Over hyped or actually good at the things it says it does?

I had never heard of it but https://www.tramontina.com/10-in-professional-fusion-fry-pan_80114516/p here’s a comparable thing at less than half the sale price. It doesn’t look quite as nice and doesn’t have the “integrated spatula rest” but the shape and size are the same and the non-stick will be better (teflon instead of ceramic). Overall it’s a useful and versatile shape, but there are tasks for which it’s not optimal and there are tasks for which a non-stick pan is not optimal. I’m sure there are people for whom the always pan is the best pan for the cooking they do, but it wouldn’t be for me and i can’t tell you if it is for you.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Do they make a wooden spatula? All i can find are their silicone-headed ones which aren’t what i would consider a wooden spatula, which is for scraping a stainless steel or cast iron pan. You might want to check what your dad’s actually asking for. Anyway i like the GIR silicone spatulas since they have just the right amount of stiffness, but if you must have a wooden handle the le creuset are probably fine.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Flaggy posted:

Any recs on a magnetic knife holder wall mounted? Or are they worthless and I should keep using my cork drawer holder.

I got a cheap ikea stainless steel one and put a layer of cork tape on it so it wouldn’t chip knife edges. Works fine with paring knives or cleavers

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
As always the wirecutter has the goods:

quote:

Dishwashers and detergents have changed. They used to blast the hell out of dishes with tons of hot water sprayed at high pressure, using strong detergents. But starting in the 1990s, efficiency regulations forced dishwashers to gradually become thriftier with water and energy. Then in 2010, phosphates disappeared from detergents. The industry switched to enzyme-based detergents, which work by breaking down food into smaller molecules (like the enzymes in your gut), and are biodegradable and easy to remove from water. After a few rough years of adjusting to this gentler, more-efficient paradigm, dishwashers and detergents emerged better than before. “Today’s dishwashers are really cleaning better than anything out there and use less water,” Barry said. “The key is that you have to use them properly, you need to load them properly, and use the right detergent.”

They suggest not pre-rinsing with newer dishwashers, since the soil sensor can cut the cycle short, and using an enzymatic detergent. More tips in the article (scroll down to the how to section). There’s a bunch of outdated or plain wrong info out there regarding dishwashers but even the bottom-tier ge model in my apartment does a good job if i load it right and use finish tabs.

1redflag posted:

Dishwasher can be efficient if you have a lot of people in the house and are going to run it every or every other day. In a house with just one or two people it can just be kind of overkill unless you are those people who use a new glass/plate for refills

Speaking of outdated information, modern dishwashers use less water than hand washing even for fairly small loads. https://www.reviewed.com/dishwashers/features/please-stop-hand-washing-your-dishes

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 16, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I don’t think most people want to do that, but even so you’re probably not saving as much water as you think you are. They measured the average dishwasher using 3.5 gallons and efficient modern ones using closer to 2; by comparison the average kitchen faucet uses about a gallon a minute. If you time yourself, are you running the tap less than 120 seconds to wet and rinse plates? For one plate, cup, knife and fork i can see it, but for a day’s worth of dishes even?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

barkbell posted:

i dont think you can have a griddle span two burner on an electric cooktop and not end up with massive hot spots

This is true but i can’t imagine how it would be any different on gas or induction

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Stainless won’t rust, cast iron won’t rust if you are scrupulous about cleaning it and your local environment is not too humid. I’d get stainless unless the price difference is large, because i like things that are easier to maintain, but cast iron is probably fine if you know what you’re doing

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004T6MSIS/

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP44MQ/

normally the all-clad is closer to $120, so try shopping around

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

You can honestly find comparable restaurant-quality pans at restaurant supply stores for a fraction of the cost of All Clad or big name brands. I've never had an issue with winco heavy-bottomed pans, and a 12-14" skillet might run you $40-$50. It won't look half as pretty, but it'll last you a lifetime.

I also linked a tramontina skillet which is $60 to the all-clad's ~$120. The tramontina is probably 75-98% as good as the all-clad, depending on who you ask - all-clad definitely charges a chunk extra for the name (which, to be fair, has a long history of excellent quality, reliability, and support). I do think it's at least worth paying for full tri-ply rather than encapsulated bottom, which some of the cheap pans are. And restaurant supply stores can be very useful but they're not really as accessible as amazon, and you have to factor in shipping costs as well if you're buying online, so you won't save as much as you might think at first.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Wahad posted:

Does anybody have an easy-to-read breakdown of the differences between the various Instant Pot models? I've been thinking about getting one but apparently there's like a dozen of them so I have no idea which extra features are worth the cost. Recommendations for one model or another also welcome, of course.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/...ne-should-i-get

tldr: duo

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Standard stainless steel pans.

‘standard’ stainless steel cookware is definitely laminated or encapsulated, which is the same thing

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

encapsulated bottom instead of tri-ply, and the handle looks particularly cheap and will probably start wobbling. i’d spend the extra $15 for tramontina

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 23, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

LLSix posted:

I'm finally tired of my non-stick frying pans coming apart every three months. Can I get recommendations for a solid stainless steel frying pan that'll last me a couple of years? The main thing I use my current frying pan to make is stir fry recipes and various types of pasta toppings that usually involve cooking a pound of some sort of meat then adding veggies and sauces.

On a similar topic, my trusty spaghetti noodle pot is reaching it's end of life after over two decades and I can't remember where I got it after so long so I need a replacement for it too.

For stir fry, honestly get a carbon steel wok. It doesn’t need to be on a crazy high heat burner. For braises and sauces look at an all clad sauté pan, the one with vertical sides. Any tri-ply will do if you don’t want to pay all clad prices. You could also get a cast iron pan. Carbon steel is thinner cast iron and you should probably get cast iron instead unless you have a very strong, even burner since the carbon steel won’t store as much heat as cast iron and will have worse hot spots.

Alternatively you could learn to take care of your nonstick so it lasts longer. The teflon will always wear off eventually but you should get at least a couple years out of it. Don’t use metal tools in it, don’t use more than medium heat (you can’t really sear stuff in nonstick pans), don’t put it in the dishwasher or scrub aggressively. It’s good to have an extra pan or two to do the things nonstick can’t handle and stretch the wear out a bit, but you don’t have to get rid of nonstick entirely.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Le Creuset is having a sale. 4.5qt Dutch Oven is $208 and the wide round Dutch Oven is $183. From what I recall this thread was in agreement that a 4.5qt was a good size for the regular Dutch Oven.

I have 4, 6, and 8 qt round le creusets and the 6 qt is far and away the most useful, but if I had to pay for any of them i would have gotten lodge. Le creuset is nicer but it’s $20 nicer, not triple the price on sale nicer

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

mystes posted:

I've been looking at enameled dutch ovens, but this has some really negative reviews that are scaring me

Don’t get one from amazon, some of those negative reviews are for obviously counterfeit products. The bottom of real ones should be bare cast iron.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Is this the thread that spent a full week talking about dishwasher detergent this summer? because there's a fairly hilarious and thoroughly half-assed mea culpa where he more or less admits he has no idea what he's talking about

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

He had the solution wrong (use two pods) but he had the diagnosis right - there is a problem for many folks who use just one pod, on a cycle which uses pre-rinse. His new recommendations are legit and I'm switching to powder as soon as my pods run out :shrug:

I have never filled the pre-wash thingy in my landlord special dishwasher (or any other dishwasher i've ever used) and I have never had problems unless my dishwasher is extremely crowded, in which case pre-wash doesn't help. I use pods because they have enzymes and the only time there are any food particles left after the wash is if i overload the chamber or have stuff pointed upwards or something similarly dumb.

I rewatched the first video and he tests the pre-wash with and without detergent, but he doesn't test (or doesn't show) the results after the full cycle, which is all anyone should care about. Detergent in the pre-wash is unnecessary in all but the most heavily soiled washes. Also he doesn't understand that sodium silicate is an abrasive.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Powder has enzymes too. He acknowledged the issue with his earlier test.

• Pods contain more detergent dose than most people need
  • The harder your water, the more detergent you need.
  • The more full & soiled your dishwasher is, the more detergent you need.
  • So if you have hard water, or only run it very full, pods may work well for you
  • Pods are inflexible so you can't adjust your dose for smaller loads
  • Dosing too high leaves residue on your dishes and can damage aluminum pans (can happen with pods if you have soft water, or with powder if you overdose)
  • If you use eco-modes, you don't need to fill the pre-rinse reservoir
  • The 4 chemicals which are in pods but not powder aren't game changers
  • Gels can't have both bleach and enzymes, so are a little worse generalists than either pods or powders
  • Pods cost 3x more at the low end and up to 5x more per load, and have lots of plastic waste associated

I truly don’t think any of the things he talks about make much difference. Unlike traditional detergents, enzymes aren’t “used up” by breaking down food material, so it doesn’t make sense to increase the dose for dirtier dishes. (What could make a difference is giving the enzymes more time to work, either by using a longer cycle or adding enzyme to the prewash.) I’ve got the softest water imaginable in nyc and have not had any problems with leftover residue at the end of a cycle. The heat of a dishwasher cycle will damage aluminum pans no matter how much detergent you use, and adding detergent in the prewash isn’t necessary to get your dishes clean most of the time. I agree that pods don’t clean better but i still use them for the convenience, and the added cost isn’t enough for me to care about. Also he doesn’t talk about the one thing that makes the biggest difference to how your dishwasher cleans, which is making sure the dishes are separated and the dirty parts are pointed at the sprayers. That’s my real pet peeve with the video.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

My zojirushi rice cooker is starting to have an issue. Previously it would keep rice at a nice texture for a couple days, but now the day after I make rice the top layer of the rice is dry and inedible. Two days after the entire thing will be dry. I haven't changed my technique, water amounts, or brand of rice, so my worry is that it's the rice cooker. Anyone deal with this before?

Check the silicone seal, would be my guess

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Work gave me an Amazon gift card, I was hoping to buy an enameled Le Creuset dutch oven. What size should I be picking up? I usually like to cook enough for 4 people. 5 1/2 qt a good size?

That’s the most useful size but I don’t recommend buying a valuable thing that’s easy to counterfeit on amazon

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

What's the nonstick coating on that?

it’s teflon just like the majority of non-stick. cheaper pans seem to have a thinner or less durable layer, but good quality teflon (which you don’t need to spend all-clad money for) can last a fairly long time as long as you don’t use metal tools or overheat it. tri-ply is wasteful in a non-stick pan but not in a way that matters

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Flaggy posted:

Recs for a mandoline?

benriner

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Related, recs for a safety glove for a bad mandoline user?

i have a pair of these

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can you fry in anodized aluminum? Not sure if there’s a limit on how hot you can get it, or if basically it wouldn’t be a problem before the oil started to smoke or ignite.

you can put teflon nonstick in the oven up to 500°f, which is more than i think you’d be deep frying at. anodizing is safe to much higher temps than are used in cooking.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Is Misen... good? The first time I ever heard of the brand was via ad on Facebook. Since half the crap on there is just rebranded stuff that exists already that they hope you won't google, I have negative associations with anything I learn about there. Looks like their main product is their carbon steel pans. Carbon steel is kinda mediocre as a cooking material. Its not particularly hard, non stick, rust proof, or thermally conductive. What is the appeal?

carbon steel is popular for the same reasons cast iron is popular, but it’s lighter and heats up faster. the trade-off is the temperature drops more so it’s not as good for searing. it’s good actually but i’d just get it from lodge

misen makes knives too, they had a kickstarter followed by some high-profile problems with the early production runs where the blades were snapping in half. they seem to be better now and the review consensus seems to be “fine, if you like the aesthetic, nothing special.” there are better values in knives and they don’t make anything unique

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

The Midniter posted:

I'm a Misen fan and they do have good customer service. I backed their Dutch oven kickstarter and they replaced the lid immediately after I reported a chip in the enamel out of the box. After my first use of the oven the enamel on the inside pitted a bit, and again they replaced it ASAP even though it wouldn't have any impact on its cooking ability so I gifted the "defective" oven and chipped lid to a friend.

Those are the only issues I've run into with their products and I have a bunch of them.

frankly this kind of thing says to me “high defect rate, poor qc, and an inefficient business model of throwing cheap replacement product at anyone who complains rather than delivering something consistently high-quality in the first place” but a lot of people seem to be fine with (paying for) that

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Huh I didn’t know instant pots came with nonsticks, I thought they were all steel

i think instant pot, the brand, are all stainless (with a non-stick pot available as an accessory) but some other brands of electric pressure cookers are non-stick out of the box, although there are enough models of instant pot that i wouldn't be surprised if there was an exception

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i’ve seen an insignia instant pot style cooker that had a nonstick inner pot, and i think i read the ninja ones do too, so maybe that’s what you’re thinking of. my very basic black friday sale model from a few years ago has the stainless.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Thanks for the Nordic Ware suggestion - apparently we do have it here, the vast majority of it seems to be very fancy cake pans but it looks like they do what I'm after too.

Edit: though they do mostly say hand wash only...

do you have restaurant supply stores? ours in the us, at least the online ones, will ship to the public and you can get a stack of heavy duty wincos for what amazon charges for a pair of nordicware pans, plus they don’t have that infuriating raised letter branding. it’s a whole new world for sheet pans

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

barkbell posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice set of gloves for the grill? Looking to be able to get in a grill and grab heated up grill grates, cast iron, etc.

i use these ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MRQAJG/

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm starting to get a bit more into making smoothies, and I'm thinking of maybe upgrading from using my immersion blender to an actual... blender blender. Any recs for a good blender that won't break the bank and maybe doesn't have a gigantic footprint? I'm about to take a look at what Costco has, but I know nothing about blenders so... :derp:

if you mostly want it for smoothies, a nutribullet will probably be fine, and it’s cheap and small which a vitamix definitely isn’t. i have the 900w model and it’s great for smoothies, sauces and soups. vitamix is for if you want to make your own peanut butter or do the thing where you cook your soup in the jar or other food sciency stuff.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

anybody got strong feelings on potato mashers? just go buy whatever Oxo sells?

my strong feeling is to get a ricer or food mill instead of a masher if you're going to be using it often enough to care (although that link has masher recommendations too)

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oxo mill sorta sucks tho

I dunno about that mill specifically, I got a winco mill from webrestaurantstore or one of their competitors and it's basic but solid. I did get the chef'n ricer for my mom a few christmases ago and it is very well built and easy to use - the gear really makes it easier than other ricers

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4/

these aren’t fancy but the aluminum is thick enough for them to heat evenly and the bottom to stay flat. the nonstick coating holds up well in my experience. usually runs $40 ish for the rivetless 10”, $32 is a good price

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I've had two of these (wore the old one out because my wife didn't get how to keep it fresh) and love them, but not that version. I have this one

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80114-535DS-Professional-Restaurant/dp/B009HBKQ16/ref=psdc_1063498_t2_B01N8VUYT4

The only difference I can spot is that the one posted by hypnophant is rivetless, however according to wirecutter the bottom of it is domed a bit and pushes stuff to the sides

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/

i don’t have that problem on mine - it’s as flat as the riveted version i had before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I am specifically looking for a gas/butane option

What for, and what is “decently large” to you? My local asian grocery sells tabletop butane burners for hotpot, and I’ve looked at some single-burner camping cooktops, but they seem to be pretty much the same size, same product in different packaging. It might help if you said what you had now and what you want to do with the burner - cooking hotpot is going to be a bit different than griddling a pile of eggs and bacon at a camping trip, for instance.