Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Midniter posted:

If the breast is 20-25 degrees cooler than the rest of the bird when you pop it in the oven, it'll be that much lower after cooking, no?

No. Heat transfer doesn't work that way. Especially not in a combined radiation/convection/conduction system like roasting a turkey in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Get an inexpensive nonstick pan to use for eggs and only eggs, and replace it when it wears out. Use cast iron and/or stainless steel for everything else.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

VelociBacon posted:

I use a $50 tfal Teflon pan pretty much just for eggs. It's much better than doing the whole process of cleaning the cast iron (I wash it with soap then reseason after every use).

The hell? Why? Once it's properly seasoned you can wash cast iron with soap and water with no problems. You should only be reseasoning if you somehow strip the old seasoning or let the pan start to rust.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hobarts are awesome if you're running a bakery or pizzeria or something, but $2k+ is a bit steep for a limited-use home kitchen appliance.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

sharktamer posted:

I got myself some ceramic pots as part of this set (which I managed to get for only £30, complete steal). I've tried using them a few times, but they're incredibly slow. I thought maybe it had something to do with them not working so well with the induction hob, but have I maybe just been misunderstanding how ceramic pots work? Do they naturally take longer to heat up and is it that I just shouldn't expect such an immediate furious reaction?

No, you're misunderstanding how induction works. As AVLR mentions, you need a ferrous metal, since it's basically a rapidly reversing magnetic field. If what you're putting on it isn't affected by magnetic fields, it won't heat up. That's why the hob itself is cool to the touch, despite heating ferrous metals quite quickly.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is the original manufacturer of the swing away. Same design, but heavy duty made in the US.

http://smile.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ--3028-Deluxe-Opener-Grips/dp/B0071OUJDQ/

Got one, it owns. Get an EZ-DUZ-IT.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Steve Yun posted:

I decided I wanted to turn my lodge pans smooth. I bought a wire cup brush for my drill and I've been going to town on this pan but other than taking off the seasoning, it doesn't seem to be wearing down the surface much. Is there a better tool? Do i need an oscillating grinder and one of those gnarly metal discs?

A wire brush is great for removing rust or anything else clinging to the surface of iron/steel (paint, seasoning, etc). To actually remove enough material to make a difference, you'd need something like an angled flap disc and some sort of adapter arbor (they're generally designed for angle grinders). Be warned, they can be pretty aggressive and you could easily end up with dished depressions in your pan rather than a smooth surface.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

If you have a Costco membership they have the Kichenaid professional 600 bowl-lift model on sale right now for $299 with a $50 MIR on costco.com, and that model will blow away any of the tilt-head models.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Thoht posted:

I like the pasta roller a lot. Supposedly the meat grinder is ok if for smaller scale batches but the sausage stuffer sucks. Lots of people like getting a beater blade.

If you get a beater blade make sure to get the actual Beater Blade brand one and not the official KitchenAid one. The BB one is a much better design and is angled to keep stuff under the blade, where the KA one has a tendency to push stuff up to the top of the bowl above the blade.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Cuisipro

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

JK Adams 19"

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

If you're a Costco member the pro 600 is often on sale there for under $300 brand new.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

rgocs posted:

Oh, no. I didn't fry bacon to season it. I seasoned it using Crisco. Bacon came after several times of using it after seasoning. I was just saying that I took the bacon sticking as a sign of not having been properly seasoned.

Even properly seasoned cast iron will have stuff stick to it with no lubrication. It's not teflon or anything. Just keep a can of Pam by your stove and give it a couple quick spritzes before dropping in bacon and it'll be fine.

And having recently seasoned a carbon steel frypan, I can vouch for the superiority of flaxseed oil over all other seasoning fats. Just make sure you get the 100% pure stuff (high lignan is fine), which has to be refrigerated, not the shelf-stable supplement oil which has a bunch of additives that degrade its ability to form a nice seasoning. Barlean's is a good brand you can find at lots of health food stores and nutrition places and the like.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The EZ DUZ IT is incredible and if I ever need another opener for some reason I'm getting a direct replacement.

Assuming this one doesn't last the rest of my life, that is.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Meh. While borosilicate is more resistant to thermal shocks, tempered soda-lime glass is way tougher when it comes to impact resistance. If you're not going to be chucking your bakeware in a sink full of cold water right out of the oven for some dumb reason, the toughness of tempered soda-lime when it comes to drops or stacking with other glass is a much greater advantage IMO. There's a reason almost no one makes cookware out of borosilicate anymore. Just get a couple trivets or hotpads and put your poo poo on those when you take it out of the oven.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

my wife's ceramic deep-dish pie plate that she's had for years and that came from a store that no longer exists (apparently "cloth world") is developing cracks and she needs a replacement. Does anyone have suggestions for an awesome pie plate?

Emile Henry

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Good toaster: Oster Jelly Bean. If you want to spend more, the Brevilles are nice. The ridiculously expensive KA prolines and DualIts are under no circumstances in any way worth the premium.

For toaster ovens, spending the extra on a Breville Smart Oven is absolutely worth it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Family Photo posted:

Not sure if the brushed aluminum will scratch a glass range though. Sorry for your loss :(

Aluminum is a good bit softer than steel, and glass is way harder than both (which is why you should never, ever use a glass cutting board). It's much more likely to scratch from a grain of salt getting stuck between the pan and the range top than from the pan material.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

325F seems pretty low to get a good seasoning, too.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Steve Yun posted:

I am one of those "automatic pressure cookers are for babies who can't handle the real thing" snobs, I have two stove top pressure cookers and now I'm peeking over the fence at all the people having fun pressing a button for automatic pressure cooked stocks.

Got a question for you Instant Pot owners, does it make any hissing when it's at pressure or is it a closed system?

It's closed. Makes some hissing as it builds up pressure at times, but stays perfectly silent as far as I can tell while it's at pressure.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yup, Tramontina Professional for my non-stick usage.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Zojirushi water boiler

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

You made the right choice.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Murgos posted:

This toaster oven is usually highly recommended (I don't have one): https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV...le+toaster+oven

I picked up the BOV800XL (the original Smart Oven) about three weeks ago to help with the logistics of thanksgiving dinner, and it's been awesome. Since I got it I've baked pies and cookies, reheated pizza, baked chicken, toasted bread/bagels/waffles, and some other uses I'm forgetting and it's excelled at everything. It's particularly nice how fast it heats up for baking things. No more 20-minute waits for the oven to get to 425 (along with all the wasted energy of heating all that space/mass)? Yes please! My only regret is not getting one years ago.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Panasonic is also tiny, where the Breville can fit regular quarter sheet pans and 9x13 baking dishes and round casseroles etc. That's the main reason I got mine, actually. To use as an additional oven during thanksgiving. It's proven eminently useful since then, though.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Subjunctive posted:

70% is a lot of inflation over 4 years.

Depends on how long it was stuck at the previous price point.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think that’s how inflation works?

It's pretty much how it works for non-commodities, which is most consumer goods. Their prices are sticky, with jumps in pricing after years at the same price. They don't slowly adjust pricing to match inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Wirecutter likes GEs. Other than that, no idea.