Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I liked my Calphalon nonstick but I got a new Swiss diamond pan for Christmas and boy is it nice. Not sure if it's truly worth 2x the price but it has a lifetime warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You could always get something like this

VonShef Induction Hob Heat Diffuser Stainless Steel with Heat Proof Handle Available in Two Sizes (9.25") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOZXK4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_xcDLwbNJGFFEH

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Do they make them for drills or do I need to buy a different tool

Buy a 10 dollar harbor freight angle grinder, throw it away after you're done and it's shook your fillings out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have the larger Benriner and feel the same way about the julienne blades...you really have to ram it through and it's not confidence inspiring when a small slip could hamburger your fingers pretty good. I only use it for slicing now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yes, and you can re-use them if you make the bags longer than necessary.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have this one, and it seems to work great, but I still prefer my gas stove whenever possible.

http://www.amazon.com/1800-Watt-Portable-Induction-Countertop-8100MC/dp/B0045QEPYM

My only complaint is the cooling fan spins crazy fast and makes an audible whine noise, which can be annoying but wasn't bad enough to return it or avoid using it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pubic Lair posted:

I watched this video and both seemed to be pretty quick compared to anything else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzt9pSEpkA

thats the proof that i needed to dump the thermo i have (shown in the video) and get a thermopop

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Amara posted:

This might be a silly question for this thread, but my microwave just broke this morning. Any recommendations for another one?

I keep buying used ones for $25 or less, seems like the easiest way to go.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

How do we feel about Big Green Eggs? Assume that it fits my budget, and that I want to grill/roast more than I want to smoke, but I still want to be able to smoke decently.

Troll craigslist for a used bge. Totally worth it but I'm a shameless fanboy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Is that worth it given that the warranty doesn't transfer?

This is fantastic. Not sure about running ethernet to my Canadian outdoors, but it's definitely nerd-tempting.

Yes, I've bought 3 used BGEs. sometimes the internal ceramic pieces can crack from thermal cycling or thermal shock but they are still functional.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SubG posted:

Huh. I'm pretty sure I've literally never seen any advertising for the BGE.

Almost every single "home show" advertises that they are giving one away in the print/radio/TV ad.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm trying to picture what a waffle reheated pizza would look like

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2014/01/leftover-pizza-waffle-iron-delicious-crispy-gooey-cheese-stuffed-snack.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

this is why my MIL has one, it's red and has not been used a single time but sits on the counter 100% of the time. i'm not sure if it's an artisan or not though, either way, waste of money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I need to finally get a wood cutting board, and the nicer ones range from 1.5-3.5" thick, are there any cons to getting a thicker board?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

Pressure cookers are large enough and easy enough to clean that I would never even consider putting mine in the dishwasher. For a vessel that gets pressurized and has the potential to be a bomb if compromised in any way, I wouldn't take the risk.

Yeah pretty much this

None of my pots or pans go in the dishwasher

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not 100% sure but I think i had food poisioning last week from some flank steak i got from costco. I think it was in the danger zone in my car for too long before i got home. 2 days in the fridge and then add in the prep time while I trimmed, butterflied it and rolled it up to grill it...perhaps too long in the danger zone?

Either that or i had a 24-36 hour fight against a norovirus.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Food-borne illnesses are not as common as people make them out to be. That's kinda the reason we're so anal about it in pro kitchens because you gently caress it up once and you're that restaurant that poisons their customers. Not saying you should be lax, but you can have terrible sanitation practices and get by with idiot luck. I mean, you're making fewer meals in a year than a high volume restaurant does in a day. Or, you could follow the rules and still get sick. A big part of something like a HAACP plan is being able to trace the outbreak even if it is no fault of your own. This doesn't really come into play in a home kitchen, however, most people assume the last meal they ate is what got them sick, when usually it is the meal before that so be wary of assuming something is or isn't your doing based on that.

I don't think so unless you left it in your car like all day or kept in the max danger zone range of 70-135 for too long. It couldn't possibly have been out for ~6 hours could it? Mechanical tenderizing makes me suspect cross contamination.

I didn't see any tenderization marks on the meat...I have only occasionally seen that on the meat at Costco. I don't think it was in the danger zone for 90 minutes on the day I bought it and maybe another 60 minutes on the day I cooked it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
not really a recommendation but here's a a blog post on how mauviel cookware is made:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/visit-mauviel-french-copper-cookware-factory/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tonedef131 posted:

Has anyone received their recall replacement blade yet? I filled out the request form back in December and haven't gotten so much as an email.

just got mine like a week or so ago, submitted on 12/15

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yup just got one last month to replace the terrible zyliss one i had

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that recipe looks so good but definitely falls in to the "too much loving effort, kenji :argh:" for some satay

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I've been using latex gloves for big cooking events. A Costco Business just opened up near me and they have nitrile gloves (500 gloves for $20!) which say they're more puncture resistant for only a couple more bucks. Anyone have experience with these?

cross compare prices with harbor freight, i usually get packs of 100 pairs of 7mil gloves under 10 bucks. medium weight cost a bit more and are my preference for car work but thinner ones will be cheaper.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

emotive posted:

Induction burners -- Worth the $60?

I was thinking of picking one up once I move into my new apartment. There's an electric stove there, but I seem to hear lots of people rave about this one: https://www.amazon.com/Secura-8100M...2XY3ET1CV01M0AE

i have this one and functionally it works well but god drat does it have the worst high pitch fan whine when you have the temp cranked up

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hay guise check out these knives wot do you think

125 bucks!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone else get notice of this class action? its about vitamix blenders leaving small flecks of teflon in food

https://www.blendersettlement.com

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its odd they dont have https set up but here's the settlement:

If you own a Vitamix blender covered by this Settlement, you could get a $70 gift card to purchase certain Vitamix products or a free replacement blade assembly that does not fleck.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

Straight up 404

is your browser filtering out non-https sites? its working

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
questions for the breville smart oven owners: is this thing good enough to toss out my toaster oven? our toaster oven is 10+ y/o and ugly AF

also, is is it safe to use on a kitchen counter, under a cabinet?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
recs for enameled dutch ovens? i need a big one, at least 6QTs and light inside color finish only

i finally got a chip on my 10 year old martha stewart one so i'll retire it.

as much as i'd like a le cruset the prices are nuts

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Whalley posted:

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RF63WS and it's great if you can find one - flat as anything and not a single scratch even though I've dropped the thing a half dozen times and carted a bunch of silverware wrapped in newspaper in it when I moved halfway across the country. Cuisinart does a good one too. If you're not iffy about Lodge (they used to rely on prison labor, it turned some folks I know against them hard) Cooks Illustrated rated them second best, just behind le cruset.

lol no longer available

also, neber compromise

also, more good rebiews

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I was actually thinking about doing both. Smoke it at a super low non-cooking temp like ~170° or so for a few hours to give it a nice smoke flavor, then inject it with butter and fry it till it’s done.

I love smoked turkey and this seems like a good way of getting the best of both worlds.

So anyway, if the Butterball Electric isn’t a good fryer, what’s a good propane option?

you should have no problem getting a nice crispy skin on a big green egg

it wont be fried turkey grade crispy skin but it will be good and all of it will get eaten

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Posting that fuckin webcomic should be a bannable offense

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah it's a good entry level model

i've had my KA classic mixer for a decade and never had to service anything on it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have a duxtop induction cooker and it works really well. I don't use it all that often (bought it when I had electric range but now have gas).

Mostly I use it for my pressure cooker to make a big batch of stock. Very quick to get it pressurized and then quickly shift down to the right temp for maintaining optimum pressure

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those are good but not for smashburgin

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

Re: IR Chat

Thermoworks is having a 48-hour sale on their IRK-2 industrial IR guns with the circle lasers. 34% off, brings the price down to $58 for just the gun with no probe (normally $89) or $83 with the probe included (normally $140). Sale ends tomorrow.

I’m kinda thinking about picking one of these up to use on my pizza stone. Is there any reason I should consider getting this model instead of one of the cheaper guns on Amazon? Do I need something with a higher temperature range if I’m using it on a pizza stone on a charcoal grill?

just buy a thermopop and a cheap rear end IR from harbor freight. honestly if your oven can get hot enough you'll stop caring about checking the temp of your pizza stone and just throw that poo poo on there

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
between the screen name and avatar and weird questions i honestly see why they think you're a long-con troll poster but you're not an offensive poster so idk

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what the poo poo dude look at it, it looks like some sort of stupid loving pepe poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^Yup. Stainless is unequivocally the way to go.

I have a set from Costco that are Kirkland brand and quite good imo