Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Yeah, you don't want "holes" in your molcajete/mortar, otherwise you'll start having cross contamination of your spices since you'll never get it clean properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

C-Euro posted:

This is probably pretty simple, but does anyone have any non-plastic bottles they'd recommend for serving/storing sauces? I've started making my own hot sauces and keeping them in tupperware containers; not only is it annoying to have to get out a spoon and dollop the stuff out whenever I want some but the pepper residue stains the crap out of the plastic. Ideally I just want the same type of bottle that Frank's et al. are in, though I don't know if anyone just sells empty bottles like that.

The standard bottles used by hotsauce vendors are called "woozy bottles". Google that, and you'll find many many vendors of them.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Bagheera posted:

The backup plan isn't working. I soaked some applewood chips in water and put them in the oven (in an aluminum pan). Then I put a pork shoulder in there at 250. The pork shoulder is cooking up really well, but there's no smoky scent at all. Am I doing something wrong, or is wood chips in the oven a myth?

Just go buy some liquid smoke and use that in the basting/braising sauce.

If you're doing the chips right (don't put them in water) you'll be getting a lot of smoke generation in your oven (which vents to the kitchen) and then sitting off your fire alarm in the process.

And it'll be a pain to stop the smoke generation, so expect to continually set off the alarm for an hour or so after you go "oh poo poo" and try to stop the smoke pouch.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Anyone have experiences with small (3-4cup) food processors/choppers?

I'm thinking like Kitchenaid 3.5 cup chopper or similar.

Basically using to make sauces and the like for a meal (eg: pesto). I don't want a large unit that I have to haul out all the time. I had a blender but it died and never got enough real use anyways, so there's open counter space!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Now that's a snipe :synpa:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

No love for Vince and his nuts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

VictualSquid posted:

If you cut your bread yourself using a machine in Germany, you have one of those collapsible bread slicers in a drawer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x2qtZKvcPY

Whoa, that's.... a mini deli slicer in a drawer. Except if you used it for that it would be hell to clean. But I kinda want one now.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Just googled Penzeys to see if they ship to Canada and...

If you are in Toronto, I'd recommend going to Carlos house of spice in Kensington market. The majority of his spice business is restaurants, so they are freshly stocked on almost every thing. If you don't see it, just ask as it can be not on the shelf.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Isn't there a few places on Granville island? It's been a while since I was in Vancouver, but googling restaurant spice suppliers will probably be the beer avenue. (since they will generally have fresh supplies on hand).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Thermapen's #1 feature is the speed of readings - it's the fastest available.

If you are willing to hold the probe in the meat for 5+ seconds, (vs the 2-3s), there's lots of cheaper options.

Accuracy of probes is basically the same across the board, most people don't leave them in the place long enough to stabilize the readings.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Frank Dillinger posted:

Thermapens are so good and fast that you can see the various temperature gradients in the meat you’re cooking as you push it in. 100% would spend the money on another one the moment mine breaks.

Eh, you get that on others - just have to push them in slower since the readings take 3+ seconds.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Has anyone in the UK bought a waffle maker recently? My sister wants one for Christmas but I'm not sure what's good.

Things to look for:

- Easy to clean. Seriously, waffle mix gets everywhere - detachable hinge/removable is usually the thing to look for.

- Flippable mid cook. Gets your waffles more waffley. Sometimes it's the whole unit, sometimes just the cooking part.

- Size. The restaurant style ones take up a huge amount of counter/storage space.

unknown fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 22, 2023

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Ages ago, the best place to find a sub gram scale was to go to a weed/head shop and get one that you can calibrate (and have them do it). Spent like $60, but it's been perfect for my cooking.

One of the challenges is getting reference weights to do that calibration properly (we're talking about sub gram accuracy of the weights too).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Ambient would be lower than expected because the protein is cooler, also most ovens aren't as hot as people expect it to be since the thermal mass of the oven shell/surface hasn't reached the temp yet (this is one of the reasons why reheating for like 15min+ is great). Generally the oven will launch its ambient temp well above in preheat and then cool down a lot - overcompensating massively in its swings.

I'm very curious about the results though, was looking at putting one of those meaters on my Xmas list.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Discussion Quorum posted:

I have the Kitchenaid mini prep ($50?) and a full size (14 cup) Cuisinart.

For the tasks you mentioned, for my family of 3, I use the mini prep almost exclusively. The big one only comes out when I really truly need the size or a special blade (eg shredding multiple blocks of cheese for a holiday-sized mac and cheese)

I have the mini prep too - vastly more used than a full size unit. (And also have the immersion blender with attachments - it isn't a direct replacement)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Now that I think about it there should be a consumer food chopper that does “chop once and spit out” so you can get uniform onion and carrot dice

Closest I’ve seen is an $800 Waring

Only registered members can see post attachments!