Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So a family member offered to buy me something between $400-600 of my choosing. Before I just have them blow it on a cellphone or something is there some piece of awesome kitchen equipment that people would recommend? I was thinking about a standing mixerbut I dunno. Maybe a cast iron dutch oven or an espresso machine but those are borderline silly kitchen space-takers for me.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thanks. I'll do the mixer then. It makes me sad though that the spaghetti maker attachments are more than half as expensive as the mixer itself.

lawl no. I don't think I could bring myself to actually use a knife that fancy. I'd go to cut some celery or something and feel like it was a waste of the knife's potential.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thoht posted:

I like the pasta roller a lot. Supposedly the meat grinder is ok if for smaller scale batches but the sausage stuffer sucks. Lots of people like getting a beater blade.

I really want the pasta rollerattachment but gently caress paying the $150+ dollars for an attachment

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 15, 2016

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thoht posted:

You can get just the roller without the cutter and it's like $64 on amazon atm.

sorry I meant the combo

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm so stoked. I wandered into my local thrift store this morning and found a huge 8QT enameled cast iron dutch oven for $20 in perfect condition. I've been eying new ones for months now and they were all selling for $150-250.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

you ate my cat posted:

This reminds me of the time that I bought an 18" potato masher without thinking about size. You want it? That pot might be the right size for it.

Or the time I was buying a mortar and pestle and the "large" was on sale for few bucks extra, so I impulse bought it and discovered it was a large twenty-pound hunk of granite that I couldn't fit into my kitchen.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

dakana posted:

Pasta rollers - is it worth doing the kitchenaid attachment, or should I just get a standalone manual crank one? I mostly just want to make more ravioli.

want one of these something terrible, but drat if I'm going to spend over $100 on some danggummed attachment

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

tonedef131 posted:

Has anyone received their recall replacement blade yet? I filled out the request form back in December and haven't gotten so much as an email.

I got mine last week, after requesting in December

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

VERTiG0 posted:

Yes. I have 3 week old cilantro in one in my fridge and somehow it is miraculously fine and not browning or slimy at all. I'm astounded. This is my first time using one and I think it's awesome and I will be buying the other sizes.

I'm confused. Is this any better than wrapping your herbs or greens in paper towels before putting them into a ziplock bag?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Okay. Hotpot. Boondoggle fad or legitimately good?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Any recommendations for pot holders and baking sheet pan liners? There's so much junk out there for these and my current ones really are crap

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

also parchment paper that's baking pan sized and doesn't curl is a pain to find or is expensive enough that I know I should just pick up some liners/silpats.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look at the oxos. I use my towels for most things, but sometimes I've got some scorching hot stuff that either burns the towels or that they just can't stand up to.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

We're looking at a new gas range. Anyone here have a beloved range they would recommend we look at?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've also heard some good things about newer induction ranges. My instinct was to disregard them as garbage, but maybe things have changed?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

teraflame posted:

Is there a cheap easy knife sharpening product i can buy? I'm just dipping my toes into home cooking and don't need to go all out with stones.

I usually recommend the Spyder. It's dead simple and works really well.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

eke out posted:

this myweigh one (or the 7000, which is the older model and very similar). think mine is more than a decade old now lol

e: vvv sorry i didn't google the oxo as well? you really don't have to be like that

This is what I have and it rules. Been great for like 4 years now

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Anyone have a recommendation for a dehydrator?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I use this sharpener, which has a base for setting the angle on the stones. All you do is draw the knife through straight up and down. I put on a show and do all my knives once one of them starts feeling a bit dull.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hutla posted:

Someone in the Crapper Construction thread in HCH has a consumer reports subscription and will look up ratings for people. The thing I’d be most worried about with the “fancy rich people” brands like that is the cost of repair- the availability of replacement parts, or if there’s even a brand certified repair person in your area.

pretty much every public library has a free digital subscription to CR. Everyone should check and see what other free stuff your library offers.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Vim Fuego posted:

Speaking of garbage, compost question:
Compost
Does anyone have a good solution for compost? We have one of those little metal compost bins

And I really don't like it. It's gross to have it on the counters even when it's closed. The lid jams up because it got dropped at some point. I do see the advantage of it being really small, which is that you'll never get lazy and have a whole trash can of compost rotting in your kitchen. But I don't like having to interact with it, e.g. jamming an egg carton in it, having it near the food prep area etc.

That's the one I have. With biodegradable compost bags it's not too big of an issue for me, but I've got a big compost bucket and a vermiculture bag 10-15 feet away on the porch that I can put bigger stuff into. I could see it being annoying if you didn't have that. Unfortunately I think anything bigger is it's own annoying counter-space problem.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm super confused about why people are using their blenders to cook soup

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Any opinions/thoughts about outdoor pizza ovens? A friend recently got this brand and it worked pretty drat well. I'm thinking of getting rid of my grill for it since we're vegetarian and don't use it much.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

Have any of y'all used these Spurtle things they used to run ads for on TV, and if so how do you like it?

My dad mentioned wanting one awhile back and I'm thinking about getting a full set since they all look like things we'd get a lot of use out of.

it's a wooden spoon

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is there a new can opener rec? I gave mine away and the ez does it seems like it's nothing but fakes on amazon, or they also went downhill.

https://youtu.be/i_mLxyIXpSY

Someday...years decades from now when my existing can opener needs to be replaced I'll probably go the safety can opener route

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, enameled cookware is much much easier to maintain and is less prone to sticking or reacting to with stuff. I love my cast iron but I don't know if I'd want a cast iron pot.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Having worked in a large sized commercial kitchen cut tape wasn't the standard, but instead long strips on exactly and only 1 side were the standard there. When you have a 200 table restaurant and an entire floor dedicated to prep and storage, losing a label off of a single cambro (or having it pointed out of sight in a hard to reach area) means that whatever was in the cambro might now be completely thrown out or never used. Where I worked, daily inventory people also had a checklist item to review storage bins and remove and reapply any fussy-looking labels.

I'm gonna venture that the reason for cut tape is so that there's less of a chance that the tape curls/falls off and instead sits flat. Maybe also to help ensure people take more time on the label and don't forget the date. In professional restaurants there's almost always a reason, no matter how psychotic it seems. It's a small factory.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Happiness Commando posted:

I need to slice about 40 pounds of cheese for sandwiches from institutional ~5 pound bricks . I don't have a deli slicer, nor do I know anyone who works in a grocery store to slice it for me. Is any solution that isnt a deli slicer going to be equivalently horrible?

Shred it - ideally you have a Cuisinart or kitchenaid and can automate it. Even if it would be better to have slices for sandwiches or whatever, shredded cheese will work and the job won't be impossible. If it's for a million hot sandwichs/burgers it will make 0 difference.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

You might be able to look up a kitchen rental service as well.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I hate splatter screens in general, it always seems like the oil just snipes oil droplets right into the holes with unerring precision when I know that factually, it's a larger drop of oil flinging upwards that hits the screen and gets chopped up by the wires, but you'd think in <CURRENT YEAR> there would be a better alternative.

Why not just use a lid?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

Discount (OCTVIP10) -$22.99

This code got me an additional 10%, came from Honey

*edit I think it got me free shipping too.

dope. saved me $50 and I got a bunch of upgrades that we've been avoiding getting for years now.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FaradayCage posted:

I have a plastic colander but I'd like to get a metal one for draining ground meat that just got fried (sometimes I'm paranoid of melting plastic) and rinsing dal/lentils before cooking (holes are kinda big on the plastic one for split lentils).

Part of me is tempted by these guys:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Colander-Expandable-Strainers-Vegetables/dp/B08BJ7CJWH/ref=psdc_284507_t5_B01MQCHQHD

But the rest of me just wants something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Kitchen-...=A23ADOZFIJNPFB

With the latter I can theoretically put it in a bowl, fill with water, and then pull the colander out to get a lot of the rinsing done quickly.

Any thoughts on the expandable vs bowl design?

I often just use a 9-10" mesh sieve strainer as my collander (like this). Between the two you linked I'd do the latter.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does a good toaster oven/microwave combo unit exist? There are like 2-3 things in my life where I'd prefer to have a microwave around (defrosting, melting butter) but I really can't justify the counter space and absolutely wouldn't trade out my existing toaster oven for just a microwave (which I use for an enormous amount of things).

Alternatively, if there are tiny microwaves that exist that could also be an option, bit i think there's kinda a minimum size to a microwave for them to work at all.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm a huge fan of the spyderco sharpener myself. Really easy to use and the design means you get the angle right without any work.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

smackfu posted:

Anyone have a particular kitchen scale they like? We have this one which is fine but nothing fancy and the buttons are annoying. They are sealed so crud doesn’t get into them but miss a lot of touches.

Greater Goods Gray Food Scale
https://a.co/d/bmwAiYW

This has been my absolute favorite scale I've owned and I've had it maybe 8 years now. It's quite accurate too and can do an as % of total weighted measure too.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 7, 2023

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone wanna recommend the best water filter pitcher?

I would actually recommend getting your municipal water tested and then buying a filter customized toward offsetting the results from that. this is the one I use though

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

In addition to the baskets I also cut down a couple pieces of corrugated plastic board to create three vertical sections in my deep freezer. There's a narrow section on either side I've sectioned off that way and I just stack it full of butter and bread and other stuff that doesn't bin well.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

"Air sous vide" just sounds like a convection (air fryer) setting.

It's hilarious that convection has been trend-rebranded twice now

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah I love mandolins for potatoes but would never touch one without the gloves. Benriner is also my go to

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Bagheera posted:

We need sliding shelves for our kitchen cabinets. We can't afford custom-made shelves, so we're looking at pre-fab.

Here's an example of what we're looking at. It meets our requirements:
-Two shelves that slide out.
-Metal grates (which I think will last longer and cost less than wood)
-Holes in the bottom frame, so they can be screwed in at the bottom.

They don't have to exactly match the width and depth of our 36-inch wide cabinets. If there's a 2-foot-wide sliding shelf next to a 1-foot empty space, that's ok.

Do you have any brands you prefer?

This is what I installed in my cabinets and they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SubG posted:

The KD8000's price has gone up a lot in the ~10 years since I bought mine (~US$35 then, ~$US50 now) but it's still what I'd buy if I had to replace it.

Also, I've been using it daily for nearly a decade and the first time I ever had trouble with it was literally a couple weeks ago, when it wouldn't turn on. Took me a minute to remember, oh yeah it has batteries. It had been still running on the no-name rando AAs it came with.

Yeah I bought mine ~10 years ago and just changed the batteries on it for the first time this morning. That's also how I discovered that it has a hilarious set of warnings pasted to the bottom: