Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The time to do away with my glass top rice cooker has come and I'd like to get something respectable. Can someone who has fuzzy logic experience explain to me why this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074CDG6C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRFGCEF0ASJ5&coliid=I2LLN2UG9VGWYH&psc=1

is worth $60 more than this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OBC3/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRFGCEF0ASJ5&coliid=I1E8COTV70C691&psc=1

I'm only using it like once or twice a week, usually only for me and my wife but with the occasional guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Mr. Wookums posted:

It no poo poo produces 'buttery' rice
Well you just talked me out of sixty bucks.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have the 14 cup Cuisinart, 2 person household. In the 10 years I've been using it, I've wished it was smaller maybe twice and wished it was larger the same amount of times. Seems to be a perfect size and while the workbowl and blade are getting worn out the motor is as strong and quiet as the day I got it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

They weren't around when I bought my All-Clad, but if they were I certainly would have checked out Tramontina. Serious Eats did a comparison and they found them to be almost as good for a fraction of the price. I haven't ever handled one, but perhaps the handles are more comfortable for those who find the All-Clad uncomfortable.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Speaking of pressure cookers, the Kuhn Rikon 8qt is at a really good price today. I'm thinking about finally picking one up.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Stainless-Steel-Pressure-Cooker

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

What are you guys using to make shakes/malts? In my regular blender it gets too runny and my immersion blender can't power through the frozen clumps and it doesn't get smooth enough. I don't really want to get a drink mixer since I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cabinet space and I imagine the consumer level ones have poo poo motors anyway. Is there any other way to get a thick, smooth shake?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I feared as much. Any recommended models?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have a Breville Hemisphere I'm going to ride out till it quits before buying a Vitamix. That said I don't see how a higher horsepower is going to help the situation. About any blender can mix milk and ice cream, but they seem to overmix them to the point of runny.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

rgocs posted:

Is the Breville Hemisphere Control still considered a good blender? I'm eyeing it on sale at amazon.ca for ~$153 USD.

I've had one for a few years and I think it's a good value. I use it nearly every day, frequently multiple times a day and haven't found a job it can't do. It seems to be the only model bridging the gap between "complete poo poo" and "professional unit that is total overkill for home use but loving awesome if you can stomach the price tag".

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Suggestions on a home espresso machine in the $200 range?

ROKs are about that and pull a mean shot. If $200 is just for the espresso machine because you already own the grinder, go that way.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I'm thinking about it. No cooling or balancing needed is really pretty amazing and if it's as quiet as they say it would probably be worth having. And if it turns out to be a bust, you can probably sell it for at least $699.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

bartlebee posted:

If I were to buy a Baking Steel TM, what's going to be the practical difference between buying the rectangle one versus the circular one?

Rectangular is more versatile, especially if you ever plan to use it as a griddle. The circular one will heat up quicker because it has less thermal mass, but that can also be considered a downside depending on the application.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Pro, always Pro. Artisans will not last because tilt head is an awful design.

My tilt head is 36 years old and runs like a fuckin Honda. Granted it has a Hobart motor but that doesn't have anything to do with the bowl access mechanism.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have an 8 tap kegerator and always keep one serving seltzer. Without a separate regulator I have to keep it at beer temps/pressure so it's never as cold or gassy as I want it. I primarily drink cans from the grocery store, they are about 25¢ each and are very carbonated.

Some day I want to put in an actual seltzer faucet but I have well water and my RO wouldn't really have enough pressure to feed a carbonator through cold plates. Plus I'm not willing to give up the cabinet space for an ice machine right now, so I'm sticking to the cans.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

SPECIAL NOTE: there was a huge recall on blades from Cuisinart because their old blade might crack and send out shards like ninja stars. If you're getting it from Amazon, it's probably the updated version of the 14 cup Custom with the redesigned blades but otherwise the same.
Has anyone received their recall replacement blade yet? I filled out the request form back in December and haven't gotten so much as an email.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Any recommendations for deep fryers?

I have the R&V Works 4 gallon and absolutely love it. It uses standard fry baskets, can run on NG or LP, and has a tube type heating system. I can get several months out of my oil as long as I'm mindful not to overheat it and filter it every few frys. They make bigger and smaller ones depending on what you are looking for, but I haven't found a single other tube fryer in its price range or even one that would be practical for a residential setting.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm of the opinion that for carbon or cast if you worry about it then it'll fail.
I was gifted a brand new carbon steel pan a while back and just couldn't get an even seasoning that stick like all my cast iron has. I called my buddy who has pretty much always used them and he was like dude who cares just keep using it and it'll be fine. I stopped putting it away and it's just lived on my range ever since and I use it for everything. I'll wipe it down with oil if it needs it or wash it with a wet rag if it needs that. The appearance changes from time to time but it's always nonstick and always ready to party. They are like a codependent girlfriend, the less you act like you care the harder it works to gain your affection.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

The writing on my cheapo plastic deep fryer is wiping off. This includes the temperature scale, so if it eventually goes away entirely I will eventually forget where to set the slider. Anyone know if there's a type of marker I can use to replace the previous markings that will avoid this?
The most permanent way would be to just cut little graduation slits right into the plastic. It won't give you the exact numbers but you really only need like 3 on a deep fryer so you should be able to remember. Failing that write a legend down on an index card.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My Breville Hemisphere is letting out it's death rattle, time to get a Vitamix. Is the 5300 refurb the way to go? I don't have a height restriction where I'll be keeping it (for now) so I don't mind getting one of the tall ugly ones if they perform better.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Thanks, needed to grab one of these for a wedding gift.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I guess this goes in the kitchen thread, but I recently watched this this video about dishwashers and how you should actually fill the pre-wash cycle measuring cup with dish soap to get good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBO8neWw04

I'd been pre-washing all my dishes forever because it always did a piss poor job if I just stuck them in there. I decided to give it a shot and did as he suggested and and used the pre-wash cup for some extra soap and it works perfectly now with no pre-washing at all. I'm kinda blown away.

I just bought a house in August that has a dishwasher and I’d never used one before. I tried it out once or twice and kinda forgot about it because it didn’t seem to save me any time. I had never thought much about how they worked since I never had one before, so I found the video useful and cool.

It really only seems to shine on hard to clean items like food processors and fine mesh strainers though. Otherwise it seems to take as much time to load it and unload it as it does to just wash them by hand. You still have to run a sink of soapy water for cleaning tables/countertops, and I always seem to have delicate glassware, vitamix jar and knives that require hand washing anyway. Is there a technique I’m missing or habit I need to acquire in order to realize the benefit of this seemingly beloved appliance?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I think there’s a place for a one nonstick pan in your collection. I have a pretty full set of all-clad and about every appliance you can imagine, but 95% of my cooking is in a cast iron skillet, enameled cast Dutch oven or a carbon steel skillet. I still can justify having a single non-stick skillet for scrambles and a few other things and with hand washing I get about a decade out of it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m all about Tramontina for nonstick, and a lot of folks here agree. Most durable nonstick pans I’ve owned, and pretty cheap too.

Tramontina Professional Fry Pans (12-inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQR0/

I got this one a couple months ago, I think based off of this threads rec. The cruisenart it replaced had a nice hard coat anodize on the outside which was nice, but I’ll never go back after using the Tramonita without the interior handle rivets. Cleaning this thing is a dream.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Do a remote mount blower for the hood as well. Our fan for the vent hood is on the roof so you can’t hear the motor. At full power (which required a make up air damper to make sure we didn’t create too much negative pressure in the house) it’s still reasonably quiet.

So the hood is just a metal box in the kitchen with controls and the little grease filter traps, and the motors/fan etc are outside the house.

This is the next project I have planned for my house but I haven’t really looked into it much yet and wasn’t sure how available it was residentially. Do you have any advice as far as brands or things that you would have done differently? Did you do the install yourself or contract it out?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Barkeepers Friend will remove it with a little elbow grease. Don’t be afraid to use an abrasive scouring pad on Stainless.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

It’s one of those tools that is awesome because it can do things that nothing else can, but still has limited use because how many applications are there for that specific job? If it was a few hundred bucks I’m sure there would be tons of people experimenting with frozen savory dishes and poo poo but that price has to be tough for even a medium sized restaurant to justify.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That’s all news to me. I had listened to every episode up until this year, his cohost got so bitter during the pandemic that it was actually really pretty miserable to listen to and I fell way behind. Last I was listening to it they were still talking about your poem Steve.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Come to think of it, 90.% of the time small electronics died on me it was because the batteries were no-name snd leaked. I think I will toss Chinese batteries from now on.
I’d highly recommend paying a bit more for some of the energizer lithium AAs. Their shelf life is 20 years and when they are exhausted they don’t puke their guts out and corrode everything around them. I’ve had many thousands of dollars worth the circuitry ruined by old alkaline batteries and have found the lithium’s to be a godsend.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The kevlar gloves McMaster sells for ~$20 are the only thing worth discussing for hot metal handling.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I thought it was that the heat from a torch was too concentrated in a very small area and that was what caused the off flavor. Either way, I’ve also found the searzalls uses to be extremely limited.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

My Food Saver isn't sealing completely again - the seals it's making have little gaps in them. I've taken to running multiple seal cycles and pushing down a little to try and help it make good contact but I'm not pleased.

I had one previously that stopped being able to pull a vacuum unless you pushed down in the middle - like it couldn't keep consistent pressure in the middle.

I'm kinda over the food saver and I'm thinking seriously about just jumping to a chamber vacuum sealer. Costco has the MaxVac Pro (LEM 1380) for $650. I did look at the ones on amazon but the cheaper ones have pretty shallow chambers - the MaxVac is still only 3.5" while the VacMaster models (VP210, VP230) are 5" deep on both models, while the ebay ones are 2" deep - that seems pretty shallow. And the "keep the lid pushed down while it's sealing or you could get sparks/fire/destroy the heater bar" is pretty lol - I think I'll pay a bit more for one with a latching bar.

Any thoughts? The Costco one seems ok as a starter (and if it ever has problems costco is great about taking it back), not sure it's worth paying 50-100% more for a slightly bigger chamber with the VP210 or VP230. Am I missing anything else?

$649 - https://www.lemproducts.com/product/maxvac-pro-chamber-sealer/all-vacuum-sealer-products

$999 - https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp210-maintenance-free-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

$1345 - https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp230-commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

Has anyone used a chamber vacuum at higher elevations? I see the note there that the MaxVac may not work at altitudes above 1600 feet... I've kind of always wanted to move back to the Front Range sometime.

I have had the VP215 for a few years and would definitely recommend it if you have the space. It’s very heavy so you won’t want to be moving it around. I actually build a stand for it with casters and it stays inside my kitchen closet. The oil pump is far superior to the piston style dry pump used on the 210. It’s very quiet and pulls a really strong vac, I’ve never had to change the oil yet I just run it with the lid up occasionally to boil out any water it’s accumulated.

Sealing liquids is awesome and I use it a lot in cocktail preparation, which I do a ton of. Another huge advantage of a chamber is you can use standard vac pouches instead of the ones with the ribbing. I buy these in large quantity from a restaurant supply shop and they are several times cheaper than food saver style ones. They are even significantly cheaper than zip-top bags so I use them for almost everything. This helps offset the higher cost, but if we’re being honest the real reason for a chamber is because you want something that actually generates a vacuum rather than just removing air.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Chamber vacs generate a vacuum then seal the bag within before releasing back to atmospheric pressure. Food savers suck most of the air out of specially designed bags then seal them to not let air back inside.

Similar end result if you’re just doing things like coffee beans. Chamber vacs become a lot more important when incorporating liquids for things such as rapid marinades, vacuum infusions, pasta rehydration or vacuum compressing fruit. I primarily got one for storing the wild game I butcher but once you have one you find all sorts of fun and interesting poo poo to do with them. You can whip up last minute oleo saccharums in only a few minuets.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I guess? When you submerge a ziploc, the pressure differential causes compression of the bag, which pushes the air out. AIUI in a chamber vac the air is evacuated equally inside and outside the bag, and there isn’t a pressure differential applied to the bag until the vacuum is released and atmospheric pressure reaches the newly-sealed package.
That’s exactly what it does. The zip-lock water displacement comparison only works for food saver style machines. They achieve basically the same thing with reversed methods, air removal from pushing it out and air removal by sucking it out.

Chamber machines are essentially vacuum pots with a seal bar inside of them. They make a truly low-pressure environment, to the point that you have to watch your liquids because at room or sometimes even fridge temps they will boil very easily. This condition will even remove the air from within the items inside, which is handy for infusing liquids into porous solids or rapid cooling breads.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 29, 2021

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Exterior blowers are definitely the way to go if you can swing it. I plan to install one of the Broan E46E series hoods as soon as the weather breaks. They offer anywhere from 600-1500 CFM externally mounted blowers or slightly lower flow rates for their inline blowers. I’m going to try it without the air makeup since my house is from the 70s and I can just crack a window if necessary.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

What’s the purpose of a grill pan? Is it a low fat dietary thing or do people just like the look of grate lines?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The piston pump kinda sucks but at half the price of the VP95 this will probably get a lot more people chamber vacuuming. Which is honestly one of the most useful devices in the kitchen or bar.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

halokiller posted:

The reason I haven't went with a chamber sealer over just a regular sealer is that they are bulky and heavy as poo poo and the bags only come in one size. I remember eyeing the Vacmaster a few years back, but it was like 50 lbs and my tiny kitchen can't simply put that away somewhere.

The space and weight are an unavoidable problem, but the bags come in a huge variety of sizes. You can also cut bags and and just seal bar the bottom to make custom sizes. Most units have an adjustable seal timer so you can even use the thicker veined food saver style ones if you want, or the rolls that you cut to size.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Does anyone have a recommendation for a long slot toaster? My 16 year old kitchen aid one is dying and the reviews of all the ones I’ve read indicate they would not have a similar lifespan.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My Anova circulator impeller motor burned out. It’s my second one, first was replaced under warranty but still I’m unimpressed with their quality. I’m looking at the polyscience on that’s less than $50 more than the Anova. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

obi_ant posted:

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/7500

This might be a good one. I do not have a blender.

I’ve had that exact blender for years, use it multiple times a day. It’s been excellent in every way, probably the best kitchen appliance I’ve ever owned.