Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

VelociBacon posted:

http://www.redroostertradingcompany.com/shop/camano-coffee-mill-3/

I use this one. It's adjustable for different size grinds. You really don't want a blade grinder for a french press because the ground won't be uniform enough.

I like grinding my own coffee because it makes me feel like I'm earning the drink but I'm sure any $15 electric burr grinder you can find at a shopping mall will work fine.

You aren't going to find a $15 electric burr grinder. If you mean those whirling blade grinders, they're not good for french press (or coffee in general, but especially french press) - they generate a lot of fine particles that will come through the filter and leave sludge in the cup. You'll always be dealing with some sludge but blade grinders make it worse. A good burr grinder produces a more consistent grind size.

Anyway the best place to ask about coffee grinders is the dedicated coffee thread. The cheapest worthwhile coffee grinders are usually hand powered burr grinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I elaborated on the ground size issue in my post but fair enough I didn't know how much the electric ones cost.

Oh look at that. I should read more closely.

Yeah from what I've seen anyway there are no electric burr grinders in that price range. I think it's because burr grinding requires a low-RPM/high-torque motor which isn't easy to make cheaply and/or requires gears, but I'm not sure.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Naylenas posted:

The Rubbermaid produce saver containers are markedly cheaper then OXO's, but they have great reviews. Anyone try those?

I have one (you're talking about this right?), it's nothing magical but veggies keep better in it than just a standard container.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Microplane started off as a woodworking tool before they found out people were using them for food. Maybe someone told them they were great for callouses.