Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
things not in the OP that I use very very frequently.

also I'd add hard anodized cookware as an option between nonstick and stainless. and mention santoku's - a lot of folks prefer them hands down over a chef's knife, and there are good cheap options.

well put together op!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Okay I expanded a little more

Is there a go-to cheap santoku that is universally recommended like the Victorinox or Tojiro DP?

I bought my mate this, it seemed pretty solid to me http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Forschner-Fibrox-Hollow-Santoku/dp/B008NEF3KM

this would be my mid range suggestion http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Knife-Sup...rds=mac+santoku

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Is this comparable to like a magic bullet or does it chop differently?

I don't know what a magic bullet is

I googled it, and it looks like a mini blender

so yeah, this would be different, this is like a mini food processor. you can get an even rough chop

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

I use the poo poo out of a magic bullet for small serving emulsified dressings when I can't be arsed to break in my whisk arm.

why brah

that's what aerolattes are for

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...M6Q23G6C2869EKE

0 cleanup, thank me later

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Marta Velasquez posted:

You've never been drunk at 4AM with the TV on?

I don't own a TV

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Marklar posted:

Anyone have experience with their Copper line? Any better than their standard Stainless?

I own actual, expensive rear end copper pans and will tell you that you should just get stainless, thick, tri-ply. I would not buy all-clad either, because a. they are overpriced and b. they have lovely handles.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rurutia posted:

Any thoughts on making the official non-stick recommendation that 2pack Calphalon? It seems to make sense to me given the lifetime warranty. Even with careful use, the T-fal fails after a couple years.

I think the motion has already carried, but I'm in favor of listing the Calphalon unison nonstick 2 pack. My wife was gifted it and I kind of scoffed at the time, but they're actually heavy bottomed, heat evenly, and are nice pans. we've had them for two years with no scratches or noticable deterioration in quality. It's nice they only have one lid too. I have too many lids :(

edit : actually I looked them up, and I think our "unison" pans are a grade above what's in the OP. so idk. but I'd still recommend the ones I have. http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Uni...on+2+piece+10in - like this, but both 10in one with sloped sides, one with straight

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 13, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Glockamole posted:

I need suggestions on what and where to get a cutting board and where to get a molcajete.

just buy a wooden cutting board from a store, it's not a huge deal. you should pay about $10 for one. if you don't like it, throw it away and get a different one.

I've used my $10 piece of lovable poo poo wooden cutting board for like 7 years now. I spend more making GBS threads every month in toilet paper than I have on a cutting board in 7 years thinking about it. I literally poo poo a cutting board, every, single, month. christ just go buy a loving cutting board.

go to a supermercado for a molcajete.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
SA Kitchen Chat : I literally poo poo a cutting board, every, single, month.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have brined hundreds and hundreds of birds, dry rubbed at least half as many, done all sorts of taste tests - just trust me I take this poo poo really seriously.

a dry rub (lol "dry brine") is fine, completely valid - but seasoning won't penetrate as deeply (we're talking a centimeter of muscle fiber or something, but also into the tissues surrounding veins and punctures) and you also won't add as much moisture to the meat. If your moisture is flavorful, this can make a difference. Not all molecules or whatever the gently caress penetrate - but poo poo like allicin (in garlic, and its decomposing byproducts), whatever compound it is in black pepper (I forget), alcohol, etc totally make it through.

the One True Way of making a juicy rear end poultry with crispy skin is to actual-brine it (length of time determined by meat thickness and weight), and let it air dry uncovered in the fridge for a day or two afterwards. dry rubs also works fine, just yields a different result.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

The Myhrvold injection approach does the same thing faster, if you don't mind fiddling around with needles.

yeah for sure. fully support this as well, and use it often when brining in a hurry. thanks for all your clarifications also

Croatoan posted:

I'm not gonna brine because it's stupid and doesn't do much.

ok bro!!!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ultimate Mango posted:

The OXO mill has three sizes of interchangeable die and cleaning isn't a problem.

Now if only they may interchangeable dies for my fuckoff big chinois, that would be cool.

ok really though

do they make a "die" for the oxo food mill (or is there an aftermarket one or something) that is a mesh, rather than a die?

like really, I want to food mill my pulpy gazpacho through a sieve instead of standing there for a goddamn 15 minutes killing my hand using the back of a spoon and forcing the poo poo through a chinois. :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
an aroma electric kettle and an alarm clock

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DARPA Dad posted:

Does anyone think this Pantelligent thing that's been getting some press has any merit to it? https://www.pantelligent.com/

I mean they're using this image as a way to sell people on it, ostensibly:

If I were served any one of those steaks at a restaurant, I'd have the waiter send it back.

it's funny, because I stared at all 3 of those steaks and was like christ none of these look like they've been cooked well, then scrolled down to your comment about sending them back. good show, correct decision. never heard of this thing, not clicking the link. voted 5.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

I decided I wanted to turn my lodge pans smooth. I bought a wire cup brush for my drill and I've been going to town on this pan but other than taking off the seasoning, it doesn't seem to be wearing down the surface much. Is there a better tool? Do i need an oscillating grinder and one of those gnarly metal discs?

I love the idea and your creativeness, but why are you trying to turn your pans smooth? I have a couple lodge cast iron pans - with admittedly mediocre seasoning - but if I cook something correctly, I get close to 0 sticking.

If I'm wrong, I'd look at something like a giant metal dremel head / sander to cut away at it. Something maybe like a metal grinding wheel or something? and then polish off with a random orbit sander?

again though, I'd probably just embrace the pits and valleys and keep on seasoning my pan, personally.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GobiasIndustries posted:

Would a food processor be the best tool for making my own salsas / bean dips / blending ingredients to help thicken soups & stuff, and if so, would this be a good one? The large one in the OP is out of my price range and the small one I think would be too small if I ever wanted to make stuff for work gatherings & such.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J8MJIQ

if you get creative with your pot size (and depth of liquid), a stick blender would be much cheaper and probably do everything you want it to do. bean dips might be a stretch.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I replaced my electric pressure cooker with a stovetop model a year or two back. I like it a lot better, it's not as bulky and requires only a little more babysitting than an electric model.

My favorite thing to make in is risotto. From start to finish, you can make it in less than 30 minutes, maybe closer to 20 (only 6 of which is cooking at pressure).

but.... you.... can cook risotto in a normal pan... in 30 minutes? :confused:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Family Photo posted:

Thanks, yeah, for home use - probs mostly for broiler/grill. Was just wondering if anyone had experience with either type. Can't find anything on the internet comparing the two and my cook friend didn't seem to know the difference :)

I appreciate the thought, and I'm assuming you got the idea from bon appetit - but honestly, is there an actual use case for these things outside of a restaurant?

why not use a 8 or 10in stainless skillet? or cast iron skillet? or a small 12in square pyrex baking dish? or small sheet pan?

for presentation sake maybe I get it, but most of the photos in that bon appetit thing were definitely prepared not on a sizzle pan, and then transferred over for a photo shoot.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

deimos posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html

e: Having handled one I can tell you a Misono UX-10 is no slouch and cuts amazingly well.

you..... do.... realize J. Kenji Lopez is an investor..... right?

gently caress misono, gently caress misen, gently caress all these brands that just get internet nerds riled up and buying poo poo on impulse and sperg mentality. I've cut with all these knives (well, not misen of course), if they're properly sharpened they're fine. if they aren't, they suck.

my MAC knives I continually enjoy, I have a shun paring knife that I feel fits the bill better than any wusthof or whatever other paring knife I've used - I have some cheap chinese cleavers which I'm sure I'd still love 700% more than a CCK cleaver if I ever were to spend the money.

You just gotta buy a ton of knives, find the ones that feel and work the best for you, and sell the others. I've paid 200 for a gyuoto from some internet shops that I'd prefer a $35 Forschner to.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doh004 posted:

Echoing what baquerd said about grill pans being gimmicky - they are. Get a Lodge cast iron skillet for $30 on Amazon and cook everything while increasing the amount of surface your food will come in contact with which will increase the amount of browning/maillard reactions.

that said, I have a cast iron grill pan thing that covers and securely sits on top of 2 of my gas burners. It's super awesome, flat top on one side, grill on another. It works really well when grillin just isn't gonna work out, or when I need extra surface area.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Does anybody have recommendations for a handheld smoker? I'm only seeing like 3 on Amazon, and I'm wondering if any of them are any good.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out they're all the same one. :shepface:

the answer is really no, there are no good ones :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

C-Euro posted:

This is probably pretty simple, but does anyone have any non-plastic bottles they'd recommend for serving/storing sauces? I've started making my own hot sauces and keeping them in tupperware containers; not only is it annoying to have to get out a spoon and dollop the stuff out whenever I want some but the pepper residue stains the crap out of the plastic. Ideally I just want the same type of bottle that Frank's et al. are in, though I don't know if anyone just sells empty bottles like that.

just save your glass bottles that poo poo comes in. I have an entire section of a shelf dedicated to "glass containers of various sizes with lids that something came in and I feel lovely just throwing out because christ it's a glass container and I'm sure I'll find a use for it sooner or later.

and inevitably I do. I have maybe 15 or so that I keep around, and most of them are in use at any given moment. salad dressings, dry rubs, pastes, jellys, sauces, pickles, etc.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
since the oxo food mills have come up : I have one, but I often find myself wanting to food mill something through a mesh sieve. like, basically tamis something, but on easy mode.

does anyone know of any mesh adapters made for the oxo food mill? I've googled a fair amount and never found anything.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
go to a mercado, buy a molcajete

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
holy poo poo

the artisan is already too fuckin small and underpowered for a mixer. we have one and I have stripped 3 gears on it, somehow broken the plastic bits that cover the speed knobs, and also somehow made it so that the head-lock comes undone after 2-3 minutes of use. motherfucker sits there bouncing around on the counter every time I use it. and I definitely don't use ours more than once a week, for sure.

I guess some people might just want a thing in their kitchen that makes it look like they cook or something, and be ok with paying $300 bucks for the privilege...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Why haven't you replaced that thing with a Pro series?

The Artisan is literal trash, no offense, and I don't really know why it exists. I blame Hobart for selling the KitchenAid brand.

To be fair, KitchenAid Commercial and Pro are NSF rated, so you should be good to go, and be able to treat them like tools, not a kitchen decoration/appliance.

I agree, it's literal trash, but it was also free / gifted to my wife many many moons ago. I don't use it more than once a week - and if I'm honest once every 3 weeks - so I don't care enough about busted knobs and jittery hopping around on counters enough to go spend 500 bucks to do it right.

I briefly thought about it the first time I stripped out a gear, but a little internet research, some elbow grease, and $5 worth of plastic gears later I got it working again, so.... eh.

anyways

please for the love of god anyone reading this thread, if you plan on actually using your mixer do not buy a kitchenaid artisan mixer, spend more money and get a proper mixer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Two pieces of bacon at a time? Microwaves? Might I suggest the perfect cookbook...

lol just look at this fat gently caress, dinner for one :smh: