Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What's a good potato ricer? Should I care if it has multiple die sizes?

The "good cook" brand ricer we have been using is crap and the opposite of ergonomic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks for all the ricer/food mill talk, looks like my roommate is getting a food mill for christmas.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Bhodi posted:

This is also the silly kitchen gadget / recommendation thread now, right?

My stepfather wants and has wanted one of those vacuum bag food sealers for years. This year I'm going to finally get him one, no matter how silly it seems to me. He wants to use it for both portioning/freezing and also marinading. Does anyone actually use one of these and can give a recommendation on the best one? I'm guessing "As seen on TV" types fall apart, and if I'm going to get him a silly gadget I'm going to get him a sturdy and nice one.

Last year, I got him the recommended mandolin (which he loves) and the year before, a thermapen which he uses all the time, so the previous thread is 2 for 2!

Do you mean something like a foodsaver?

Or were you thinking of a chamber vacuum sealer?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Honestly, I don't know the difference. Aren't they both the same thing? The foodsaver is what I was thinking of when he described it to me, with sealable plastic bags.

The chamber type are way more expensive and can suck out more air I guess. I've got a foodsaver and it has been great for Sous Vide. There are so many models, it is hard to recommend one in particular. I think they are all basically the same in the sealing and sucking departments. Some have bag cutters included, which is great. Some have ports for an external tube for sealing jars, which might be cool but I've never done it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

Well you just talked me out of sixty bucks.

It is the good choice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

That's the one I have at home and it's awesome. Can't say for certain that it's the best since I've never tried out others, though.

This is my opinion, too.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Would a Vitamix really not fill the bill?

The vitamix website claims it can

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

How do we feel about Big Green Eggs?

It's the ultimate cooking experience IMO.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That's just the ridiculous tagline of BGE. A place right by work sells them and I see the sign that says it everyday.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

SubG posted:

Huh. I'm pretty sure I've literally never seen any advertising for the BGE.

It's a fireplace/firepit/giant stone backyard barbecue store.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Does anybody have recommendations for a handheld smoker? I'm only seeing like 3 on Amazon, and I'm wondering if any of them are any good.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out they're all the same one. :shepface:

My roommate uses the 'Smoking Gun' to add smoke flavor to whiskey, which it seems to work OK for. I doubt it is good for much more than that. I believe he is on his second or third one in a couple years, so apparently they aren't particularly durable.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Well help me figure out which one I want to keep first

Make some waffles.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What is the difference between classic and mk4 (or whatever the new one is)?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Oh well, I had to cancel my scuba-cooking class since I decided to get the classic. Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeti or just drink it warm, IMO. If your ice bucket isn't featured in rap songs I don't even know...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My roommate was using it at a cocktail bar multiple times a night, it would probably be fine for light use. I'm actually not sure if they still do the smoked liquor thing, I'll ask and see if he has more to say about it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This... seems like an important detail to leave out.

Yeah I thought the same when I read that quote of what I posted before. Sorry about that..

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Talked to him this morning. They went through 4 smoking guns in 5 years. He says they were generally cleaned very well since they thought the first died because they didn't clean it enough. The last couple they were able to rebuild a few times with bits from the old ones to keep them going longer. The damage they were seeing was bits of plastic breaking off, like fan blades and screw mounts. They are now using something from Polyscience that he thinks is much better. Much less fiddly to get it apart and clean it. It has a flow control that he likes.

He thought the smoking gun would be fine for home use, though.

e: So I tried to google the polyscience smoker thing, and it is a smoking gun?? is he just talking about the redesign? I asked him and he was like "umm maybe sure, anyway tell them it rocks"

e2: He was talking about the Smoking Gun Pro

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 14, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Intreating. Mine makes no-soak beans acceptably well, but not near as good as an overnight soak then slow cook on the stove. Has anyone done dry beans in their instant pot ?

I'd agree with that, the texture isn't as good with no soak and I sometimes get lots of beans that split open. I've been doing a 1-hour quick soak (bring beans and water almost to a boil, take off heat, and cover) before pressure cooking and I like those better.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That burner setup is pretty much how my friends propane deep fryer works. The tube part is welded to the oil vat and heats the oil. The output at the end of the tube is very hot, and it doesn't explode. I think you will be fine.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I do all my sous vide in a cooler, but I cut away a corner of the lid so it closes. And the cooler wall is about the maximum width my nomiku clip can handle. If you don't want to cut the lid, you could just prop it open and cover with platic wrap or aluminum foil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

is your browser filtering out non-https sites? its working

The site's certificate is hosed up

firefox posted:

www.blendersettlement.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: gp1.wac.edgecastcdn.net, wac.edgecastcdn.net, ne.wac.edgecastcdn.net, cdn.traceregister.com, s.tmocache.com, s.my.tmocache.com, static.woopra.com, images.esellerpro.com, use.typekit.com, static.iseatz.com, static.https://www.turnto.com inpath-static.iseatz.com, secure.avelleassets.com, static.dubli.com, cdn1.fishpond.co.nz, cdn1.fishpond.com.au, cdn.whois.com.au, ne1.wac.edgecastcdn.net, gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net, edgecast.onegrp.com, cdn.psw.net, cdn.gaggle.net, fast.fonts.com, ec.xnglobalres.com, cdcssl.ibsrv.net, player.vzaar.com, framegrabs.vzaar.com, thumbs.vzaar.com, content.aqcdn.com, ec.dstimage.disposolutions.com, welcome2.carsdirect.com, s1.card-images.com, https://www.outsystems.com https://www.drwmedia.com cdn.taxact.com, cdn.taxactonline.com, ssl.cdn-redfin.com, cdn.foxycart.com, ssl.booztx.com, p.typekit.net, use.typekit.net, cdn.thewatershed.com, b2bportal.disneylandparis.com, b2bportal.disneytravelagents.co.uk, assets.zendesk.com, a.cdnkic.com, s.cdnkic.com, cdn.cartrawler.com, https://www.edgecast.com