Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Steve Yun posted:

Is this comparable to like a magic bullet or does it chop differently?

I use the poo poo out of a magic bullet for small serving emulsified dressings when I can't be arsed to break in my whisk arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, analogue ones. :v:

My $20 amazon special digital scale is pretty much instant read too, are the batteries dying in yours?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Maybe it’s a good time to change the subject. I’m also looking for an electric griddle and a stick blender, in that order. I know I’ve asked about stick blenders here before, but that was in 2017 I think.

I've got this All-Clad and it's never failed me. I didn't pay a hundred bucks for it though, got it for about half that on sale as an open-box.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kittenmittons posted:

You have literally said nothing while trying to say everything. Please shut the gently caress up.

You're already on a day from Gigi, but this is your notice. Settle the gently caress down.

I get it, it's a stressful as hell time right now, but don't go aggro on other posters to vent. We're all a little on edge.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

And how. I use them for zesting citrus, and the wonder of microplaning your knuckles and immediately grinding lemon oil into them has to be experienced to be known. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fart simpson posted:

i just microplaned my knuckles and immediately ground lemon oil into the wounds

Now you know.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MAPP (more accurately MAP-Pro these days because they don't make real MAPP anymore) burns a little hotter, so can sear a little better. Any gas torch can also leave aftertastes, though, especially if you don't have the torch adjusted properly to burn right. Propane's just a little worse about it.

Make sure your flame's dark blue around the outer edges and making a little roaring noise. Orange/yellow/red flames are incompletely burning and will deposit unburnt hydrocarbons that leave aftertastes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I absolutely recommend having a mapp torch in the kitchen. But I still have never got a sear like I can in a hot pan or a crust from a blazing oven with it.

A torch and the pro-style lift bowl Kitchenaid are my dream team when it comes to making frostings.

Especially cream cheese. So much easier when you can start straight from the fridge and soften it in the bowl while beating.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yep!

It's great. Lets you make buttercream in advance too, you can just bung it in the fridge and whip and torch to reheat and fluff before piping later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Inspired by a couple of the other forums, I've thrown up a feedback thread for GWS here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944730

Swing by if you've got opinions or suggestions, or something you want to get off your chest!