Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have experience with induction cooktops (like induction hotplates)? Not a full stove just like 1 burner you plug in to the wall.

I'm moving into an apartment soon and I think it's going to have an electric coil stove that's seriously old. It's got ganged switches for burner power instead of a knob! So I'm thinking of getting an induction burner so I'm not stuck with a stove that looks like it belongs in black & white TV.

Are all induction burners stuck with discrete power levels? The ones I see on Amazon just have digital buttons to change the power level which is still pretty terrible. Plus they only have a handful of power levels which is also frustrating. I'm used to gas burners where I can get a lot of play in the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I've got a Presto 8 quart stainless steel pressure cooker on the way since it'll be a lot cheaper to cook all the beans I eat from dry bought in bulk from the local Indian grocer than use can after can. I've never used a pressure cooker before and was browsing the manual earlier. How many of the precautions should I actually pay heed to? I know I have to leave some space in it so I'll adhere to the "only fill 2/3" rule. What about not cooking beans or certain other things because they foam? How much of an issue is that, actually? Just wondering about some of the more well known newbie questions having to do with pressure cookers. Thanks!

I haven't tested this, but they have at least a few safety features that should prevent over-pressure. There's a rubber burst cap that should blow at a reasonable pressure, and there's a little pin that prevents opening the handle under pressure. It seems like the pin would also blow at some point since it's just a thick gasket holding it in place, but I don't know if that's true.

I think the only dangerous thing you could do (other than leaving it unattended or something) would be to directly take off the rocker since that would produce a very dangerous jet of high pressure steam out of the top.

Keep in mind also that pressure cooker accidents aren't that common. If you query a national database of statistics for accidents, you find that they estimate ~1500 people were involved in a pressure cooker accident with emergency room treatment during 2014. A lot of those are bound to be people touching the cooker (they get pretty hot!) and other accidents that are avoidable.

So you're probably safe from dying in a horrific pressure cooker accident. But be safe anyway!

Edit: From reading the reports, a whole lot of them were actually premature opening of the pressure cooker. The Presto should prevent that but just make sure the pin is completely down before opening it!

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 22, 2016

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What's peoples favorite steaming technology? Is it best to get a dedicated steaming pot, or a basket to put over an existing pot? Do those inserts work at all (I'm more worried about cleaning them)?

I was hoping to do small amounts of dumplings (just for myself) and other things as I see fit.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What's everyone's favorite kitchen scale? My current one sucks (it has 2 button cells so it lasts all of a few months).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Previously I've used Bar Keeper's Friend (BKF) to get off the coating on a carbon steel pan. Maybe you can try it on a bit of it first, see if you can get what you want off. BKF is acidic (oxalic acid), so you probably want to strip the coating, then do a thorough cleaning, then proceed to seasoning. When I did it to the carbon steel pan I had it started to rust under the water, I wasn't sure if that was the BKF or just reactivity of the carbon steel.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Follow up question, how much do you guys use your stand mixers? I make cookies and egg pasta once a month or so and I'm interested in learning bread/cakes but I'm wondering if the stand mixer really does anything that you couldn't do with more elbow grease instead.

I'm a total luddite so I tend to do everything by hand (cookies included), but tamales really benefited from using my mother-in-law's stand mixer. You make such a large amount and it's kind of tough beating as opposed to beating butter which isn't too hard.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've got a gift card for King Arthur Flour, any recommendations for stuff from them? They have one of the scales that was recommended earlier (the KD-7000, I think that was what was recommended) so I'm definitely going to pick that up since the price is less expensive than a lot of other retailers.

Has anybody tried their bread baking dishes? They've got a few unglazed clay bakers that look neat, one uncovered round one and one covered long one.

They also had some special baguette pans with perforated bottoms, but I feel like I should try for a more rustic loaf. Like a no-knead sourdough kind of vibe.

Edit: This https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/items/long-covered-baker and this https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/items/bread-baking-bowl are what I'm talking about.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 9, 2019

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If they have the Maestro scale, get that instead.

Unfortunately it looks like they don’t. I already have an Amazon special drug scale (American weights or whatever it is) for tea (scales are really good for tea by the way) so the small 0.1g scale isn’t strictly necessary for me. Otherwise I’d probably look around for that one.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For reheating rice it’s important to get it hot enough. It will have that chalky texture until you get it evenly hot enough that it goes back to the cooked texture.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Canuck-Errant posted:

If you ever make tea, look at getting one with a programmable temperature control; if you make fancy pourover, a gooseneck is nice. I picked up an OXO Brew Pourover Kettle and it's probably the cheapest kettle with all these features.

(Also check out the coffee thread :ssh:)

I got one of those for brewing tea at work, it’s pretty nice (if moderately pricey compared to basic models). It has very fine temperature control, you turn the knob in 1 F increments (or presumably 1 C if you do that). It also has an integral stopwatch, a keep-warm setting, and stainless build (except for some silicone on the thermometer I believe).

Some of the reviews mentioned rust, so I’ve been pretty careful of letting it dry between boilings.

It also uses the power in kind of a weird way. Near the end of the heating it will use pulse width modulation to slow the heating and approach the target temp. So when I first ran it in my apartment, there was a noticeable light flickering as it pulsed the heater at like 5 hertz. I’m not sure if that’s good or not.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'm looking for a gift to ask my wife to give to me (at her request) and I figured I'd just ask for a spice grinder to supplement my mortar and pestle. Here's how Amazon categorizes the Krups blade grinder:

:doh: Thanks amazon!

But anyway, I've seen that Krups model and the Cuisinart spice and nut grunder suggested for spice grinders. Any other one I should consider?

I probably shouldn't wave waited so long to ask for a gift, those poor delivery drivers are probably busy enough as it is.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok I asked my wife to get me the Krups.

I don't know if there's a general Amazon thread, so I'll ask here since I figure a lot of these purchases probably come from Amazon.

My wife ordered the grinder, plus another gift for me. However, Amazon said it got delivered on Tuesday last week. The mail room in our apartment didn't have the package, so my wife contacted Amazon and they said they'd send another. Then the next day, the original package actually did end up arriving, so my wife contacted Amazon and they said they'd cancel the replacement. However, over the weekend we also got the replacement!

Are we supposed to send it back at this point? I figure if Amazon never brings it up then we'll just ignore it. So I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and what ended up happening to them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

Cool.

So then, who the hell thought it was a good idea to combine a mini oven with a game console?!

I think weird marketing gimmicks has been a part of KFC marketing for a little bit now. They've made KFC candles in years past, the aforementioned firelog (can be found on Amazon), and several other gimmicks. Also of note this year is the 15-minute Lifetime TV special A Recipe for Seduction starring Mario Lopez of Saved by the Bell fame.

https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/1335947170281885699

So basically, the same people who got Mario Lopez to do that also made a video game console with a heating pan for fried chicken.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

My Instant Pot arrived today and I made a stew with chuck pot roast, potatoes, celery, and baby carrots. It was... okay? I let it naturally vent for 40 min after cooking to help reduce the liquid but it still wasn't enough. Is this a situation where I should just make it on the stove in a stock pot? Or I should've just put less water in to start with?

Pressure cookers won't release that much steam. The instant pot has a little weight above a small vent which regulates the pressure, so only a small amount of steam escapes the top. That goes doubly for the natural release, if you just turn the power off it's not actively evaporating since it's slowly cooling and actually sucking in air rather than pushing out steam.

So yeah, you need some kind of lid-off cooking to evaporate significant amounts of liquid.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’ve got an all-clad but I think I bought a too big one. It’s probably my least favorite pan by a wide margin, it seems to have a really big problem with sticky oil residue, much more than any other stainless pan I’ve had.

Makes good tortillas at least, but it ends up with some small amount of tortilla residue on it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well this has probably been asked several times, but any recommendations for bulk storage of dried goods (flour, pasta, beans)?

I found a pantry moth in my kitchen last weekend, so I tossed out all my dried goods (except for some stuff that I know to still be sealed airtight) and put everything I had left into some plastic leftover containers.

My plan going forward is to just keep everything inside a good-quality container once I start restocking.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Last time I was at Costco they had a 6-piece airtight set that I've been getting a lot of good use out of.

Lol I just came from Costco, looks like they had that last week and replaced it with a set of leftover containers (so like several cup containers etc), so no luck there. I saw the display models behind the new display they had set up.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i like the anchor hocking glass containers. i have a few 1- and 2-gallon with liftoff lids for bulk storage. they are a bit unwieldy, though, being glass, but i'm tired of plastic everything.

I think I used to have something like that, it was like a giant mason jar kind of thing. Or do they make a different shape?

I've never used the Cambros before. I don't know how tight the lid needs to be, I know it's possible that the moths (or rather their larva) can chew through bags and probably wiggle through some stuff, but maybe they're good enough?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Any recommendation for a tortilla press?

I've got a cheap Imusa aluminum press right now. Works great, only problem is that the bearing surface where the handle compresses the top plate is flaking off. I don't really want flaking aluminum near my tortillas.

Any reason to not go for a basic cast iron one? There's also fancy ones (for example this one: https://masienda.com/products/dona-rosa-tortilla-press?variant=42061359251605) but idk if it would really be any better.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've been having a lot of fun on mine (I got the outdoorstirfry.com one), I would recommend one to anyone that has the space/inclination.

TBH I don't think I use mine at full power so I don't know how much a difference the extra power is over the kahuna one.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the tossing to work well. You're supposed to toss the stuff through the flames but tossing in a wok is easily three times as hard as any skillet I've ever used. I just lose a lot of the ingredients and they don't really get tossed very well anyway. In my all clad skilled I can toss a full pan all day long without issue but the wok geometry just makes it impossible.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

instead of a turducken it's a burtacmale

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

Beet greens are edible; in fact, beets were originally cultivated for their greens and there are modern cultivars (like chard) that still are.

Love the beet greens. I’ve just cooked them separately from the beet. Last time I got beets with quality greens on top they were excellent. A bit earthy in a good way, and also tender with a little green bitterness to it. Gotta throw out the ratty leaves and thoroughly wash thoroughly because they’re often treated not so well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I have 2 rolls of the costco stuff and to me it wasn't as good as some of the name brand stuff I get at kroger or whatever. It was a total pain to get the roll started, it smells funny, and the cutting mechanism was inferior to the name brands (partly the film is just too wide for the cutters so it often doesn't start the cut nicely).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

As a last ditch effort, if you can't find a replacement maybe try a bit of food-safe mineral oil on the foam? Often times gaskets and such get a little bit of grease to improve sealing, but that may not help much if it's a gross leak.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Any good places to get a stainless lid for a small 6" skillet? Everything I see on amazon is glass or looks like poo poo.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Along the same lines, what's the best squirt bottle for oil? Got some cheap squirt bottles from GFS foods a while back and they're terrible for oil. Fine for soy sauce.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My wife loves her grilled cheese smushed (as in the pieces of bread are smashed down and compacted) so maybe that. I just do it with a spatula though.

Someone should make a culinary brick. Just a big ceramic round cut off a log, slap on a handle, get a good clear glaze, then sell it for like $50 or something.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

We have a panini press, which is great for robust bread, but for plain grilled cheese it smooshes too much. My solution last time was to prop it up just the right height using a wooden spoon

... 15 seconds before I was going to pull it, the wooden spoon slipped out and the full weight, plus momentum, ejected the cheese in all directions. Great technique to make disappointed people and cheesy appliances

RIP to BrianBoitano, stood too close to the demon sandwich when his wooden spoon slipped. The cheese ray dose was just too much.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

If not, you can find a cooking rack that’s 100% stainless steel (no chrome) and put it on top of your flip-prone dishes

Edit: haha, they make silicone nets that do this now

I uhh don’t think they loaded that dishwasher very good. Right side up bowl? A random mystery tube? What is even going on there.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How much rice are you looking to store?

One relatively inexpensive option for bulk storage would be a 5 gallon food-safe bucket, topped by a gamma seal lid. The lids are a ring that press-fits onto the bucket, then it's a giant screw top which should seal out any baddies. Doesn't look fancy but it does the job.

The Menards near me sells both of them for really cheap (looks like $6.20 per lid and $7.10 for a bucket) you can also get them on Amazon but they look more expensive. Menards can check on local stock, or you can have them ship but I've never bought anything online from them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It's sad that some people can't save big money when they shop Menards :banjo:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

smackfu posted:

My air fryer failed me today… got some Aldi frozen fried fish filets and I guess they were more oily than usual. Dripped into the tray and turned into big clouds of smoke.

Didn’t know that was even a thing!

RIP your air fryer.

I recently got one (an air fry/convection/toaster combo) and I love it. It'll roast about 3-4 servings of veggies very well, in less time and less power than my big stove.

I've been occasionally making smores in it too, it can roast the marshmallows pretty well. Not as good as the real thing but not bad for a minute of work.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Favorite immersion blenders? I got a cheap one a long time ago and it sounds like it's got a bunch of gravel in the motor or something. Mostly works but I'd like something a bit smoother.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oh I see vitamix makes immersion blenders, anyone hear about those? Looks like it's more than 3x more powerful than my current one.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Aluminum pans warp with heating/cooling cycles. This is a fact of life.

Nicer pans hide steel bar stock in the rolled edges to help keep them straight and flat.

poo poo, I missed that these were cake pans

Huh I didn't know that. My nordicware aluminum pan is still very nice after probably a decade of use, that must be part of it. It's also a bit thicker I think.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My dishes cabinet looks like the shelf at good will.

Anyway, does anyone buy bowls from potters? Where do you find them, I’d like to get some nice handmade bowls for soup.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

effika posted:

Calling a pottery studio is a good idea, too. You may even start making your own!

I'm very tempted, I've already taken a basic wheel throwing class and did fairly well. But I'd be stretched way too thin at home at this point. Maybe when my boy is older I'll get back into it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There's a lot of stuff here (India) which is a little "ehhh" when it comes to standards of safety one might be used to. Check out boti knives for instance.

Oh are those the floor knives? I've seen videos of them and they look terrifying.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I did not realize how much all-clad stuff cost new. My wife's aunt bought us one of their dutch ovens as a housewarming gift and drat, that's like $300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For toaster ovens/air fryers I got this one from costco a while back and it's been pretty good for me. https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-10-in-1-digital-air-fry-oven-pro.product.4000105708.html. It's much cheaper than a lot of the other ones so IDK how it compares.

I don't have an actual air fryer to compare it to, but I think it's cooked stuff in about as much time as packages claim with air fry. I don't have that many things that I air fry though but it's been great at whatever I've thrown at it.

It can flip up to save space (that's its gimmick). You just have to be careful to not flip it up if you cooked something super greasy that got grease everywhere otherwise it'll drip to the bottom.

IMO the best part of it is it's great at roasting veggies. Stick some veggies on the black tray and crank it up, they taste way better than I've ever gotten out of my conventional oven. That and it can accommodate a frozen pizza (hell yeah i'm lazy deal with it).

It sucks at actual baking though, I tried cookies and they were terrible.