Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
repost from YOSPOS because i thought it was hilarious

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

chefs mostly use cheap knives, as disposable items. they put them through unimaginable wear on a daily basis. they have to be replaceable.

it's not like they will be castigated by other chefs for using cheap knives. no one is judging them by their tools...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I just bought my dad a Thermopop for Father’s Day. Now I’m trying to think of a good second gift in the $70 range, and I can use some help from this thread. My dad isn’t an easy guy to buy for, but I know he likes to cook and he likes to bake, so those might be good places to start.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Lodge combo cooker, sourdough starter, bannetons, bench scraper, scale and flour to make this https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016277-tartines-country-bread

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Steve Yun posted:

The first time I turned my Vitamix up past half strength, I was filled with the same panic you get from a car accident.

Vitamix makes a professional quiet model with a giant acrylic noise shield but it’s like $1000

Why would professionals pay more for a quieter model though?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Steve Yun posted:

I hold veggies like a microphone figuring that the pressure of the bottom of my hand against the guard rail would give me fair warning about the blade’s proximity. Unfortunately I did not notice that the bottom of my hand has a saddlebag that sticks out, and with the shallow guard rail of the benriner I took off a paper thin slice

Holy poo poo you're suicidal, lol.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Apologies if this has come up before, but I don't really follow kitchen equipment closely and I just found out about the existence (and price) of a Thermomix. I am irrationally angry and just wanted to vent. Thank you for your patience.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I finally broke down and got a used vitamix the other day. The hype is real.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Vim Fuego posted:

As someone who still has a 10 year old $20 oster, what am I missing out on? It basically only gets brought out for smoothies, but we do a lot of cooking and mix by hand, with a hand mixer, a food processor, a stand mixer and an immersion blender

Well, I've just been getting by with an immersion blender for like a decade now, so I can't really compare with other stand mixers. But to take tomato soup as an example, my process before would be to boil the tomatoes in stock or whatever, hit that with the immersion blender, then strain most or all of the pulp out. With the vitamix, like xtal said there, I actually get a smoother texture than my previous method just throwing a raw tomato and some stock into the vitamix and running it for five minutes. I'm planning on upping the ante and seeing how it does with shrimp shells this weekend. With my immersion blender I'd have to strain multiple times to get the grittiness out of a shrimp stock, I'm hoping it'll just come out smooth the first run.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 9, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

therobit posted:

The one I had (it broke, but I have kids and it was their fault, not a defect in manufacturing) the bottom part with the plug would pull out and off so cleaning it was easy.

LOL apparently my autocorrect is aware of how fat I am.

:hfive:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You can make confit in a rice cooker.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Matter of preference, but I'd ditch the enameled dutch oven and just go with a Lodge combo cooker. They've even got a handleless version if you're like me and super tight on space and have a tiny oven. Makes using the frying pan a pain in the rear end tho.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh speaking of saving space, I wanted to show the thread this thing I just got: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/gekiyasukaguya/ket140064/?s-id=ph_pc_itemname

So basically it combines a salad spinner, food processor and a very half assed blender all in one gadget that doesn't use electricity. Everything stacks inside of it and it fits inside my pressure cooker. The food processor in particular works surprisingly well.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What is the deal with expensive blenders? Are they actually better in some way that makes them worth a fuckton of money?

Used vitamix is worth every penny imo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh yeah, the sauce game becomes incredible. I'll just sauté some onion and whatever then run it through the blender with whatever seasoning it needs and it's always pretty good. Soup is of course a gimme. It's so drat easy to make great tomato soup or cream of whatever now.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I keep wondering if eventually they'll be able to embed an inductor in the pans themselves and use motion detection in the "range" to simulate cooking over gas.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I got a hand crank food processor that's pretty good and wasn't expensive.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The most unsettling part is seeing that dish made by someone that skinny.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

let's not start equating/comparing cooking and body size in any fashion thanks

gently caress that, that lady looks like she's as old as me and i gained a pound just watching the drat video

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

anyway i think this is a dumb move that makes them feel good about themselves without effecting any sort of meaningful change while they continue to ignore other stuff like rapacious fishing.

:stare:

all this time i thought they just used nets...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the lodge combo cooker is my "if i could only have one thing in a kitchen" thing.

i've got the handleless one because my oven is smol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

that's a good idea

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

barkbell posted:

i have vitamix 5200 which i think is the original model? its great

yeah same. bought one used off amazon like five years ago and it's a tank. easily one of the best kitchen purchases i've made.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

can't beat that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SubG posted:

Use the money you save to buy some hearing protection to go along with the 5200. Motherfuckers are loud.

i've got a 5200 and it's fine imo