Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe consider a food mill instead? I know people say the OXO one is good.

I have the OXO food mill and it is the proverbial bee's knees. Does better potatoes than any ricer I have used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I'm kind of skeptical of multiple dies, it seems like it provides more books and crannies that get annoying to clean

Chef'N makes a nice one with double lever action

Edit: or try a mill like everyone else says

The OXO mill has three sizes of interchangeable die and cleaning isn't a problem.

Now if only they may interchangeable dies for my fuckoff big chinois, that would be cool.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Invisible Ted posted:

Does anyone know if this maltodextrin is different from tapioca maltodextrin for modernist stuff?

http://labelpeelers.com/maltodextrin-1-lb/?gclid=CjwKEAiA2IO0BRDXmLndksSB0WgSJADNKqqov6wzx0tTKVYmfkH4kPkOCYQ1maN0nSmx4yRduvIvehoC_yLw_wcB

This is a really good price but I don't want to get the wrong thing, and I would also rather get it somewhere that I can also get sodium citrate.

Further, does anyone have a trusted site with affordable gastronomy ingredients?

I don't know of it is more or less affordable but I have had great luck with willpowder.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Speaking of the KA pasta attachment(s), would I lose much by going with the Marcato 150?

Getting out the big KA is a big pain. I got the Marcato 150 and the motor (was cheaper at the time to get them both separately, was like $120USD total delivered, so cheaper than the KA attachment) and it FREAKING ROCKS.

I now make fresh pasta once a week. Owns all the bones.

If you get the 120 volt pastadrive you even get a UL mandated "pasta pusher."

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

I want a bench top citrus juicer. I want a manual one that can do lime/oranges/grapefruits. Our margarita consumption levels rules out the little hand held ones. I want something that will last the rest of my life and will break my foot if I drop it on it. I am slightly aroused by rack and pinion gearing. Money isn't really an issue, but I would rather pay $100 then $400, if I can get a boss-rear end juicer for that little.

Every time I go to a bar that does a good Crush I ask the bartender about their juicer, but so far I have never found one that is recommended.

Try the Jupiter Large Commercial Juice Press. It own bones and is closer to $100.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have a Zoji and a pressure cooker (12 qt Kuhn Rikon) and use the pressure cooker more. Risotto in a half hour is awesome.
I should eat more gaba brown rice instead :smith:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Your dinner has been encrypted! Pay 40 bitcoins to unlock your SOUZ_VIDS machine and heat your food to a safe temperature

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

At my last restaurant we had a vitamix and it is def worth the investment. We would make chili oil with it, and the friction inside one of those things after blending dried chilis with oil created enough heat to start the cooking process.

That's pretty badass. Worth double the price of the Costco Ninja? We got one of dem Ninjas for a friend and the thing can make ice into powder and pulverize anything.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

If you buy decent ones, they'll last ~5 years but if your'e cooking with them all the time just expect to replace them around then.

Mrs Mango and I received some Calphalon nonstick when we got married. Seventeen years ago. Still fine, no issues, the surface is great on them.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Enkor posted:

I'm looking for a gadget to help with canning this year's tomatoes. Are dedicated strainers (like http://www.victorioproducts.com/products/food-strainer/food-strainer-1) worth it, or is a food mill close enough? Is there an option that will also let me press solids out of sauces like mole, tamarind juice, etc, so I can stop using spoon & wire mesh strainer?

Get a chinois for straining. The bigger the better, and get whatever hole size you need.

Food mill should be good enough from what you were describing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Okay then. Crossposting from PYF.

My parents are looking for a new refrigerator. Needs to be at least 69" H x 35" W x 30" D, side-by-side style, with an ice maker, one produce drawer, and one meat drawer. Also needs to work and be good, but doesn't need to be fancy. Budget is around $1000 or less if we can manage.

We just had a carton of milk go sour, so we may have to buy soon. Any help would be appreciated.

I love love move our Samsung. Consider French door fridge up top and freezer on bottom type models, unless you have to only do side by side for some reason. There are various price points for most manufacturers.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My in laws have a Bosch and it is the bees knees. They had to get new compatible pots but it boils a pot of water faster than and electric kettle can and can do low like double boiler style work right on the cooktop with no scorching.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Does this heat or cook the egg, or just separate and whip the whites?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hed posted:

Does anyone here know if the Wolf Convection Steam Ovens are close to fulfilling my dream of having a Combi Oven in my kitchen? From first glance of the manual it looks like the temps are good (low end 85 degrees) but its humidity modes are basically "high" and "normal".

I don't think the tech is there yet. I just want someone to make an add in for any regular oven that monitors humidity and temperature and uses water to inject steam to keep the humidity you set.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Porque no los dos?

If one, wide.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I got calphalon non stick stuff when I got married, and it is still in basically perfect shape with regular use. It’s never seen a metal utensil, only the plastic stuff that matched it when we got the set or wooden stuff.

I was married in tyool Y2K.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What are you guys doing to your pans?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If you can find the old school Alton Brown salt cellar, get it. It’s exactly what you want.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

1redflag posted:

My fiance is starting a wedding registry and I figured I should at least find out what goons would recommend when it comes to china/crystal. I remember someone having a few good posts on the subject in the not too distant past, but can't seem to find them. My hope is to just have one set of nice "everyday" china and stemware that we use all the time (and replace piecemeal as it breaks).

We have Crate and Barrel everyday dishes and they have been great. It’s the kind with the blue line around the rim and it’s a pattern that we should be able to get forever. My advice would be to get extra plates and bowls, or whatever you use the most of. We have like 12 or 16 dinner plates and extra bowls. The other thing we got and love are the soup plates. But get extras now and get a pattern that will still be made.

As for stemware, we have a full set of Waterford that we never ever use. And a motley assortment of everyday stuff, we kind of gave up on everyday stuff matching stemware wise.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Christmas is coming. For baking, check out the air-gapped sheets with bonus cookie-spacing targets.

Just don't ever, ever get them wet. Worse than Gremlins. We used to had those fancy air-gapped sheets. Then a guest was 'helpful' and washed them by full submergence.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shere posted:

I use those aluminum Nordicware sheets from Amazon with a silicone baking mat, they work great.

This is a really good answer. I had thin pans that warped and I loving hated them and now I have these.

My air bake ones rusted after the first time they were submerged. Sucked.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

I got a Wusthof set that had a big chef's knife, two small utility knives, a serrated knife, steel, and shears. I'm very happy with all of those, no filler there. It didn't quite fill the block it came in, which is perfect since I picked up a couple other things later.

We got this set when we got married. Nearly two decades ago. We have upgraded the paring knife, and I am about ready for a new chefs knife, but this set has been really great. Spyderco tri-angle sharpmaker and generally good care has been all these needed.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Does anyone have the Pyrex 8 cup measuring cup, and does it drip? I have the Anchor Hocking one and I’m sick of it.

Yes, and I mean it can, but it’s not really a problem. Mine may also be older than these forums, so ymmv.
It’s great and I don’t remember cooking without it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

After 19 years of service, our KitchenAid Professional 6 qt mixer gave up the ghost on a particularly stiff dough (was actually doing 16 cups worth in smaller batches in hopes of not killing the old gal). Now, even these all metal gear pro models have sacrificial plastic gears that go first, but I think mine predates the thermal protection. It wasn’t the gears that died. There was smoke coming out of the housing.

Worth the arcane ritual to find the right parts and likely replace motor and control board, and maybe the plastic gears and replace the plastic transmission housing with a metal one?
The factory repair and troubleshooting manuals don’t cover my symptoms, just says ‘contact us for help’ which isn’t encouraging.

Alternative: go and get something like the Bosch Universal Mixer or Ankarsrum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

How much were the lifty bowls back in the old days

My professional 6 was ~$500 circa 2000