Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Anyone have any good leads on Etsy seamstresses that sell aprons and cooking jackets? Looking for something fitted with pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Canuck-Errant posted:

Does it have to be on Etsy?

No I just want to buy directly from someone if possible.

Niyqor posted:

https://www.bbandida.com/aprons

I have nothing to compare her work to but here is a friend of mine. She also has an Etsy shop but figured this link actually talks about aprons. Her work seems pretty great to me.

Cool I'll check it out!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Try this:

https://eskild.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/how-to-make-a-kitchenaid-artisan-mixer-stop-squeaking/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have an Imperia dal 1932 that I share with my brother and it's a workhorse. Easy to clean too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have to agree that it's kinda wild that folks are just buying and rebuying pans that continually break down and get thrown in the garbage.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a friend with one and she has to constantly fight it to get a proper seal. I have a no name thing from Costco and it is a little finnicky with the seal but not too annoying and it cost like half the price.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Regarding IR temp guns, can I just get any $20 unit or is there a recommended manufacturer?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My brother got me a set of these press weights and they're pretty awesome:

https://www.thechefspress.com

Highly recommended if you're in the market for a vented weight for things like steaks and sandwiches.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

*me, an idiot, whisking eggs* "This is nice."

*you, a genius* "Why aren't you just using this ball of wire on a stick?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have the lodge one as well but it's too big for my standard cast iron skillets so these little dudes are perfect for that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Flunky posted:

found a really great deal on a food press, check it out

Is the tiny disc insert so they can make it a precision weight? Jesus.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just used the light ones to help me toast a burrito on cast iron without absolutely crushing it. And then I used the weights on each side to help me stand it up and get the sides toasty too.

All in all, a fine gift that I use a lot. I also make a lot of toasted burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches and split hot dogs.

Maybe if you have a seven year old your mileage goes further.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You can actually get tiles that look like bricks now. Maybe check with your local mason?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Someone (OXO?) used to make a box grater that was a tall skinny pyramid with a big ergonomic rubberized ball grip on top but I can't find it anymore.

That's my next box grater after the handle on my current one tore off.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I have a magnetic knife block and it works great for an ad hoc set of knives. It has five rows and holds 10 knives with room for a couple more.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Remodeling a lovely kitchen is such a huge thing. Quality of life just shoots up immediately because you actually like going in there to cook.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Force a patina on it. Smear it with yellow mustard and let it sit for 15 minutes then wash and dry it. You’ll still want to dry it after you wash it but it will buy you some time.

Is this a real thing? A mustard treatment?

E: I'll be damned

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-to-patina-a-carbon-steel-blade-using-mustard.439062/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BRB collecting 400mL of cat piss.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Anyone want snow cones?

Oh don't worry. It's lemon.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

*at the local Rite-Aid*

"hey can I get a double scoop of vanilla in a sugar cone?"

I MEAN YEAH MAYBE? ARE YOU GONNA BUY SOMETHING OR WHAT?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

IIRC from my kitchen reno, KitchenAid stoves have a problem with cooking the controller board because of how close it is to the heat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That ugly bastard up top gets all the work. I can tell.

E: oh that's colander.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a galley kitchen and I get a lot of mileage out of the fact that we put our dishes and flatware directly across from where the dishwasher opens up. I can unload a typical wash load without moving any steps.

We also have a lot of open shelving instead of cabinets and I like that for visibility and general usage.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fuckin a

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That sounds super gross and I have less than zero extra freezer space to devote to literal garbage.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

This got me curious, so when I was there today I snapped a few pics to investigate later. I also read some articles, which cautioned against buying TVs or toilet paper from Costco, but I didn't evaluate those claims. I was most interested in common things for this thread, plus one thing I'm thinking of buying myself.

Vitamix:
code:
Costco E320			Vitamix's official store E310
$320				$310
64 oz				48 oz
Includes smoothie cup		Nope
Wider container			Narrower
2.2 HP				2.0 HP (though HP in blenders doesn't really matter when blade length is so different)
Reviews mention needs
more tamping than
narrower E310
So better deal for your money, bigger capacity but that could be a negative if you do small batches, the smoothie cup can help with that.

Instant Pot:Same model name, same listed features, same price. Can't guarantee it's the same SKU, but if you want to dig Costco's is 112-0125-01

Kitchenaid, which is what OP asked about : Only feature difference is Costco $350 KP26M9PC is 590W vs Amazon's $800 KP26M1XER (lol) 575W, which I'm sure is a negligible difference. One comment was a 2nd hand report of Costco's bowl sitting a bit too low for the scraper to reach bottom, but the lift mechanism is adjustable with a flat-blade screwdriver so actually not an issue. :siren: Probably more important for lots of people: Costco seems to only come in red and silver :siren:

DJI Mini 2 Drone, which I'm seriously considering as a birthday gift to myself: Costco CP.MA.00000367.01 vs. DJI store bare or kit I think CP.MA.00000306.01
code:
Costco				DJI store bare			DJI Kit				a la carte
$440				$450				$600
2 batteries			1 battery			3 batteries			$55 each (official)
1x spare props			1x spare props			3x spare propellers 		$12 each pair (official. Cheaper for knockoffs)
ok quality case			no case				nice leather case		$39 nice leather case
32 gb micro sd			no card				no card				$cheap
Seems like for everything I'm checking, Costco comes out ahead, without dumbed down features, with the bonus of Costco's amazing return policy in case you do decide it stinks. I wouldn't buy any big ticket item there without checking to make sure that item isn't one of the ones that gets watered down, but the above seem like no brainers to me. Unless you prefer Kitchenaids with tilt-heads or different colors, or want a Vitamix with the program settings.

Seems like it. Sorry for spergin, I'm the type that has a photo album on my phone of random prices from different stores so I can price compare later.

Heck yeah this post owns. Keep doing it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Murgos posted:

String cheese isn't necessarily the no-no you would think.

In a lot of areas it may be the only consistent source for whole milk, low moisture mozzarella that isn't pre-shredded and covered in starch.

Yeah but she uses that stuff in the recipe as well lmao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a dual fuel oven (gas stovetop) and I really like it for how low it can go in temp and for the convection roast setting.

Also when I had a gas leak and the city turned off and LOTTO'd my gas line, I could still cook in the oven so that was a nice save.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I did a quick search and it seems they exist

https://youtu.be/5B6gIPMSoEc

E: lmfao at each of the three comments on this video. They're each perfect in their own way.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The virgin Oster vs the chad Vitamix

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"The bulb burnt out so just toss it."

"But sir this is your entire house!"

"I SAID TOSS IT."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I won't lie I got a measuring tape out too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I use them for food I'm giving away but I only store my food in glass if I can help it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Dang did woks triple in price everywhere

I paid $60 for wok in April. Should I have paid $20?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I use my wok exclusively outside on my charcoal bbq. I got a cast iron grill insert for it that has a removable circle in the middle so I can get the wok right next to the heat. It rules.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You're not supposed to get nonstick pans super hot I thought?

Wok cooking is all about high heat and the tossing motion that lets you coat the ingredients in aerosolized oil.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My secret is I'm the only one who cooks.

I actually bought a nice tramontina non stick a year ago and I've yet to even use it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I use a cast iron lodge Dutch oven and I've never thought to try that. New coal bbq challenge unlocked.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

No Mariners? Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Roommate moved out and left this behind

It has that soft rubberized coating, but after a decade of just collecting dust in his closet, it’s sticky

Is there an easy fix for that

I've heard that when this happens with video game controllers, the best thing to do is to use them and the oils from your hands will help restore it.