Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Please pardon my ignorance, I recently moved so I'm doing a bit of research to see what type of kitchen equipment I need. I'm looking at frying pans / skillets at the moment and I can't really tell if a cast iron skillet can be used to "replace" a regular stainless steel one. From that the research I've been doing, it would be advantageous for me to get a frying pan that can go from the stove top to the oven if needed. Which led me to look at cast iron. I know that cast iron requires more maintenance when compared to their stainless counterparts. So, for the frying pan and deeper skillet, would it make sense for me to go strictly cast iron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've always seen Cuisinart as a cheap brand. Are they any good? Most of the small appliances that I've purchased by them are usually junk within a year or two.

In terms of knives, should I stick with what the OP posted or... this or this

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Scott808 posted:

IME there's nothing wrong with the Cuisinart MultiClad stuff as far as performance.

I'm looking at the

Cuisinart FCT-10 French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless 10-Piece Cookware Set vs Cuisinart MCP-12N Multiclad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set

What's the difference between a tri-ply vs a multi-clad? For an amateur cook, would I notice the difference in performance?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Scott808 posted:

I'm pretty sure both are standard 3 ply (stainless-aluminum-stainless) material, but the MultiClad series is made in China and the French Classic is French made. MultiClad also has rolled/flared pouring rims and the French Classics are straight on the rim; compare the rims of the saucepans from the different lines and you should see the difference in shape. The standard All Clad Tri-Ply and MC2 series also lack the pouring rims on the sauce pans.

I can tell my MC2s are a bit heavier and a bit thicker than the Tri-Ply on the 10 inch skillet, and they probably do perform marginally better. In reality, I don't notice if it really does. All the clad stuff I own all performs well enough. For me the most noticeable difference is the handles. For example I have a 3 quart sauce pan and it has a skinny, smooth, and rounded handle. Lifting it and moving it around is not too bad, but if you want to pour out if it then the handle sucks because it wants to spin in your hand while you're trying to tip the pot sidewards.

Thanks for the breakdown, I'm probably going to stick with the MC2s. They're cheaper and if the performance is the same (or marginally inferior), I don't think I'll notice. Sucks that the MC2 don't have the pouring rims.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for a good instant read meat thermometer. Any suggestions?

Also, do I need one for the oven? To see if my 325 F is actually at 325F? I have a laser thermometer, so I assume that would be just as accurate as an oven one?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What's a good receptacle to hold some kosher salt? I have a twist off lid and it's basically a pain in the rear end to have to unscrew poo poo all the time. Maybe something easy to open with a seal? I see people on Youtube and TV with something like this... But gently caress, $23?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a very good pepper grinder? I purchased this and it's terrible. The largest setting doesn't output anything substantial.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I recently tried chicken feet, after making fun on my friend for the better part of a decade. It mystifies me that people who aren’t starving to death would eat them.

They’re not offensive, or unpalatable, there’s just a really, really low payoff for the amount of work required.

Like boiled chicken feet, or pan seared in mystical red sauce?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is this gift set any good? I read the OP, but I'm looking for a secondary set as well.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-classic-4-piece-knife-block-set/

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for a reliable online dealer for some Tojiros. I basically want a 7"-6.6" santoku and 1-2 paring knives. Or should I just go with this Mac? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006MM4RE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2WUAJVRVFM8ZQ&colid=1LGWH9C2BYR8W&psc=1

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Scott808 posted:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-knives.html

Amazon usually has a bunch of various Japanese vendors that sell them too. I've purchased from them, both Fulfilled By Amazon and shipped direct, without issue.

I'm planning to pick this Tojiro 3-Piece set here. I wanted to add in a smaller santoku, here, would this be a good choice?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

extravadanza posted:

I think your choices look good to me.

I've got an 8" chef's knife, 6" santoku, 6.5" Nakiri and a 3" paring knife. Nakiri deals with the veggies and santoku/chef's knife deal with the meats (my santoku is just a cheap OXO). paring knife for the small stuff. I very very rarely find myself desiring a different knife. Sounds like you are getting a comparable setup with your choices, so I think you will be happy with them.

Oh, also I have a bread knife, but it's nothing fancy.

What do you use you 8" knife for? I'm asking because I don't seem to have a use for it, as I was thinking the 8" would be my meat knife?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

extravadanza posted:

8" is for large pieces of meat, like pork butt, (thanksgiving) turkey, various large slabs of beef, or sometimes big veggies like cabbage. Oh, also I use it for fish that need to be treated gently, so I have a longer stroke of the knife without having to push as hard to complete the cut in one slice.

e: if you have a small kitchen, the 8" knife might actually feel too big. I didn't use it as much in my last house, but now I have more room to spread out and I don't have to worry about bashing the tip into the wall.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Lawnie posted:

Smdh if you don’t get our your 12” chef’s knife to cut orange wedges for breakfast.

Samurai sword?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Scott808 posted:

It sounds like you possibly prefer a smaller knife, and that's the reason for the santoku?

This is true, I think I'm going to be more comfortable with a smaller knife. But since literally *everyone* seems to be comfortable with a 210mm gyuto, I think it's just my inadequacies as an amateur chef. I've also used a santoku before, but wanted it a tiny bit smaller. Maybe I can use one for precision cuts and one for more "wedge-y" cuts.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I got a Bodum French press. I noticed that the screen wrinkles a little on one side, which might leak some grounds up. Is this normal among Bodums?

Mine does the same thing.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

An amazing garlic press on sale here. I paid ~$40, and it was worth it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Tried to zest a lemon today. My zester is probably the crappiest one ever made on the west coast. Any suggestions for a grater / zester?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What are those racks called that I can placed fried food on to drain/cool down? Uh... wire racks? Any good brands I should be looking for? I need the top and the bottom.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Where can I get this pan thing at 1:11?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKl0J-H4kQ0

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks! She was calling it a grill pan and that wasn't what it was.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’ve been making my own cold brew for a while and I’m wondering if there was a way I can make nitro cold brew. Or is this too “industrial” for an individual to make?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

Nitro cold brew is just normal cold brew that is dispensed through a tap driven by nitro, like Guinness. It just makes it a little creamy, and is like 90% gimmick. If the nitro cold brew you get is way better than your own iced coffee, it's because the iced coffee itself is way better than yours and you'll get a lot more value out of improving your cold brewing method/ingredients.

All that being said, if you really want to, you totally can setup your own nitro system. Ballpark like $250 for a cheap small one. I have been out of the game for a while, but go ask in the home brewing thread. A bunch of homebrew goons have setup systems for their beer.

I like the creamy feeling the nitro gives the drink. I don’t think I like it enough to spend $250 though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Get a hand crank burr grinder from amazon.

Not a bad suggestion. I’ve had mine for 6 years or so. Once you get it dialed in it’s very good. Along with an AreoPress.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What is the consensus on on Boos Blocks? I'm looking at this. Does the wood make any difference? Cause I'm thinking one with a juice groove would be great. I was resting a steak today and juices dripped onto the floor when I was letting it rest.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I was recently gifted a Breville Juice Fountain and I'm not too sure what to make of it.

I've never owned a juicer in my life and I gave it a shot yesterday. I placed some mixed berry frozen thing into the juicer and it made a terrible noise. Because the fruits are totally frozen, it popcorns around the tube. I stopped after one strawberry. I decided to put some, plums, blueberries, Asian pears and a handful of strawberries in there and well... it made juice. Decent enough I suppose.

I guess my question is... is this all it does? My kid wasn't too into the juice, but was really into eating the pulp. Is there anything I can do with the pulp?

It seems like a real waste of counter space and had like 4 parts to clean... for some juice... Can I make smoothies out of this thing? Or would I need a straight up blender?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

Smoothies out of ice and/or frozen fruit demands a blender. Juicers are for, like, carrot juice and kale juice and the like

Ah that makes me very sad. *Charlie Brown song*

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Good news about the juicer. I was able to give it away to some sucker!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Decided to ball out and purchase a Thermapen Mk4, it was on "sale" and I've grown tired of using my current one.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah baby I did this too!! The orange one?

Hella yeah! I couldn’t swing the purple one, but the orange one is :woop:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I currently have a non-enameled Dutch oven by Lodge and was looking into an enameled one.

I was trying to decide between a Lodge and a Le Creuset. My wallet and brain are telling me to go with the Lodge because I don't really use my current Dutch oven now, but that's also probably because I'm a bit uncomfortable cooking with cast iron.

Is there a reason the Le Creuset is so expensive? Also, what size should I purchase?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thermoworks is making a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT at 8AM MT tomorrow. Presumably it is about whatever will succeed the Thermapen Mk4.

I really want it to be like an iPhone announcement.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for some cutting board oil? I imagine that they're all pretty much the same right?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Le Creuset is having a sale. 4.5qt Dutch Oven is $208 and the wide round Dutch Oven is $183. From what I recall this thread was in agreement that a 4.5qt was a good size for the regular Dutch Oven.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of unicorns, is there a difference between the 6” and the 9” aside from capacity? Also the pepper stick has a holster.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Murgos posted:

Go out to eat pho. Keep the spoon. Done.

Keep the bowl.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

GD_American posted:

Gonna fry turkies this Turkey Day for the first time in a decade.

Any advancements in the field I should know about, or is it still pot, heat, peanut oil?

Fire extinguisher should always be near by. At least the way my friends do it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitche...T&skuId=4598700

Sees like KitchenAid mixer is on sale, these seem really popular.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Vegetable posted:

This isn’t answering your question, but are you keeping rice in your rice cooker for multiple days? Is this a thing? Seems like a waste of electricity.

The higher end rice cookers seem to have very good insulation, kinda like those hot water boilers you keep on the countertop. I would assume it’s not THAT much electricity.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Work gave me an Amazon gift card, I was hoping to buy an enameled Le Creuset dutch oven. What size should I be picking up? I usually like to cook enough for 4 people. 5 1/2 qt a good size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Remember also you'll need the matching salt mill so it's 2x the cost (or you look ridiculous with mismatched mills). The parts that do the grinding will last forever but I've already noticed the little black ring around the metal top cap is starting to come off (the salt mill has a white ring), I've had mine for a few years.

Or use a salt pig. I like mine