Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Looking to upgrade some stuff from hand-me-downs and want to start with a cutting board. i currently have an epicurean one and am looking for something more substantial. Is Boos recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Thanks. What should I be looking for in terms of kind of wood, end or edge grain, etc?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
my mother has some of those floppy rear end cutting boards and they slide all over the counter and never lay flat

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
3.5in goddamn

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
staub has metal knobs while le creuset has plastic ones

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I got one last year and it's great. I mostly cook for myself though. I plan to pair it with a 7qt eventually.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Looking for a good immersion blender. Bamix Pro seems about what I’m looking for. Any other suggestions?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I like the rice cooker to cook the rice and the instant pot to cook the curry.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I got a bamix last year and some metal milkshake cups. Blends frozen fruit for smoothies perfectly.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
wat

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's the zojirushi to get if I'm good with a small one?

rice cooker?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Someone recommend a small precision scale. I have the myweigh scale, but it's only got 1g accuracy. I tried to add .8g yeast in my bread yesterday and I think I messed up because I was guessing. What are people's favorite small precision scales? My weed dealer had a nice pocket one back in college.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Croatoan posted:

I don't really use this in the kitchen because I don't need to get that accurate but I do own this because I also collect coins and need to verify that something isn't counterfeit. This would probably work out really well for you. American Weigh Scales 100G X 0.01G Digital Scale, With Seaside 100 G Stainless Steel Calibration Weight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XWEAGRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_R5xtkB8hIb2k5

That looks exactly like my dealer's from college. It has some pretty bad reviews tho, maybe that's why he used it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Nitrousoxide posted:

Speaking of discounts. All-Clad is currently having a sale on factory "seconds" or the ones with damaged packaging or other minor imperfections.

https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/

drat. all the sauciers are gone

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
broasted chicken hot drat

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
got my factory 2nd 3-qt all clad saute pan. I literally cannot tell what is wrong with it. The lid has a couple tiny scratches on the top edge I guess? I would scratch it more the first time using it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I have a pair of carbon steel opinel paring knives. My gf loves them and asked if they made a chef's knife. They don't seem to make something in the same steel. Could anyone recommend something that is lightweight, thin, and sharp (carbon is good because we love patina)? This would be used almost exclusively on vegetables. I was thinking maybe some sort of carbon steel nakiri or santoku.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I would get something stainless steel with a tri-clad bottom (don't need the whole thing to be tri-clad). Like above poster said, you don't need something fancy. I have this in a 12-qt I think and it works great.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
shallow water for dried pasta only tho

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i picked up a wood one, it works but takes up a lot of room

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
stop putting everything in the dishwasher

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Those look tacky

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://kramerknives.com/product/one-world/

current bid: $25750

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I use a mortar and pestle and almost always buy whole spices. They seem to last longer

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Lazyhound posted:

That guide is bad, the correct oil for seasoning cast iron is flax seed.

flax sucks and flakes off eventually

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What’s the opinion on the original vitamix versus the ascent one. I used the tall skinny one for years but my mother has it now. Thinking about which one to add to my wishlist

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
just bought a wolf countertop convection oven. goddamn this thing is amazing

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Subjunctive posted:

I just pre-ordered this bad boy, the Anova Precision Oven. We’ve been talking about replacing our oven because it bothers us in a number of ways, but this is both cheaper and more functional for 95% of the cooking we do.

I am very excited!

Let us know how it works out. Luckily my gf saw the wolf oven at home goods for $300. It seemed too good of a deal to pass on. Especially since our apartment oven when set to 450 only hits 350. Turns out wolf doesn’t do refurbished units but any units they have returned are sold to employees which I guess somehow ended up at home goods

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
looking at the wolf website it looks like this oven might be discontinued. score for me tho

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I have a large maple cutting board that I like to keep on the counter. I want something to elevate it so it doesn't ever sit in any water. There are feet that people will screw into boards but I don't want to put any holes in my board. Ideas we've come up with: cork strips or rubber washers. Any ideas?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Fish spatula for the majority of stuff.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
hot drat

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Aramoro posted:

This pretty much. I sharpen my knives with a steel and its good enough for my purposes. I don't have time in my life for all the 'Well if you're not even using 2 different grits of whetstone is your knife even sharp?'

sounds like you aren't sharpening your knife

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
why's the costco model have a higher watt motor

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
what’s the chicken and rice formula

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The all clad stuff I own is d5. For some reason it tends to get discounted heavily once in a while which is good for me.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://www.jkadams.com/product/maple-reversible-carving-board/wood-cutting-boards#top

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i cant believe they made it like 1 inch too narrow to take a half sheet

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
pie safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006