Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Absolutely. You can just toss all of the ingredients in the air fryer and turn it on. As they cook, their specific gravities will separate them into the normal layering you'd expect with a pizza. I like to toss in a little chipotle for some of that latin kick.
Is this some sort of obscure joke or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

barkbell posted:

Let us know how it works out. Luckily my gf saw the wolf oven at home goods for $300. It seemed too good of a deal to pass on. Especially since our apartment oven when set to 450 only hits 350. Turns out wolf doesn’t do refurbished units but any units they have returned are sold to employees which I guess somehow ended up at home goods
I suspect one reason the Marshalls stores occasionally get legitimately good stuff that isn't garbage specifically produced for them is because companies want to sell off extra stock or seconds without advertising the fact that they're doing so or providing an avenue for normal potential customers to track them down which would cannibalize sales and/or drive down prices.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Just this weekend I was watching Jamie Oliver on his UK food network show and learned they call blenders "liquidizers". That's stupid and Americans should be able to laugh at the UK again for being dumb. Trump and Brexit void each other out.
That's what I have to add to the current blender conversation.
Just blitz your ingredients instead.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It was probably a joke.

mystes
May 31, 2006

xtal posted:

Nobody is mentioning if it's a cup of raw or cooked rice, or whether it's a 250 ml cup or a "rice cup" whatever that is. 1/4 cup (63ml) of uncooked rice is reasonable, 1/4 of cooked rice is paltry. The measurements for a 5 cup rice cooker are based on cooked rice.
A "rice cup" is 180ml (one gō if you really want to know which you don't).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Has anyone bought a tramontina enameled cast iron dutch oven in the past year or so? They had really good reviews before but they discontinued the existing models and a bunch of reviews on the newer ones make it sound like they've cheaped out in various ways (like they're way thinner now).

mystes
May 31, 2006

So fast it tells you the temperature before you insert it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I really want it to be like an iPhone announcement.
50% thinner but the probe is wireless only and sold separately.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think pacojets can make sorbet by shaving stuff that's frozen solid (ideally flash frozen but whatever).

I guess you can make weird stuff and it's fluffy without having to whip air in while freezing it, so it's more flexible than traditional ice cream makers or something.

I assume it works with lower fat content/sugar content too.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 24, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat I never felt like I needed the slightly faster speeds from thermapens enough to justify the price tag but 1 second is actually enough faster that it would be a pretty big difference.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

https://invisacook.com/the-invisacook/

Huh, induction ranges that hide under a stone countertop

Looks really cool but I’d be worried that someone might not know when a pot is hot if it’s sitting on the counter
The idea of not knowing exactly where they're positioned bothers me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's possible? How long does it take to get to that temperature?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I only have a blendtec (I immediately regretted not spending the extra for a vitamix) so I don't know if it can really handle it anyway.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

When (if?) my Oxo dies I'm getting a MyWeigh Maestro. It was designed by Ruhlman and has gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews.

This doesn't answer your question, though.
I'm still using a MyWeigh Ultraship I got in 2009 I think based on people's recommendations here. It's a bit bulky and probably not good for weights under an ounce or so but it otherwise works really well so assuming their quality hasn't gotten worse I would definitely recommend the company's products.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol why does this exist:

mystes
May 31, 2006

captkirk posted:

Does anyone have experience with Whintry ice cream makers? The one I ordered just got delivered this week and the compressor doesn't seem to be engaging to actually chill my ice cream base. I'm trying to decide between returning it to Amazon and buying something else or waiting until their support comes back to me with some advice on getting the dumb thing to work.
There's this comment on the wirecutter page which doesn't bode well:

If you end up returning it, I have a Cuisinart ICE-100 and it's decent. The top cover can be a bit difficult to get fully locked into place and it has a little flap in it which is annoying to reinsert when it falls out, but neither of these things really actually affect the functionality at all so you can pretty much just ignore them, and the actual cooling/stirring work fine.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 25, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a lovely electric stove right now so I'm not going to even try, but I would love to do real wok cooking at some point.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bamhand posted:

Yeah my assumption is my home stove isn't going to get that hot so the non stick is fine. My dad has uses both interchangeably, but he's not a professional chef or anything. I only have a non stick at the moment. Debating if I want a wok.

e: It seems like with our lack of a hood in the kitchen, it really would require an entire outdoor set up to make good use of a wok right?
You should probably have ventilation when cooking anything. My impression is any sauteeing is extremely bad in terms of particulate matter.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess it's your fault only drug paraphernalia comes up if I search amazon for spice grinders.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

My friend was telling me about this new ninja creami

When she was telling me about it I thought it was just some other ice cream maker until I looked it up. It looks like a pacojet designed for home use.

https://m.ninjakitchen.com/exclusiv...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I might have to get one now.
Neat

mystes
May 31, 2006

It appears to be a ninja pacojet clone though?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Isn't a Pacojet essentially like a very fancy version of a hand-powered shaved ice machine that goes down slowly scraping off a fine layer to make it fluffly? I don't see how you could possibly get the same result by dumping a solid block of ice into a vitamix, and it doesn't seem like the only issue would be how powerful the motor is, but then again I've never actually used a Pacojet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Immersion blenders are incredible for mayo and hollandaise.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like it's generally best to view evoo as seasoning that you add a little of carefully, to taste, at the end of whatever you're doing, but it seems like everyone always wants to use it for everything.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Random Hero posted:

Yes. They can't be beat for anything slow cooked between the stove and oven (chili, stew, pasta sauces, etc) and they're even great for bread if you're into that. I have had one of these for 5 or 6 years now and it gets used a couple times a week: Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven.
I've been looking at enameled dutch ovens, but this has some really negative reviews that are scaring me

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Good news: full-size (7.25 qt) Le Creuset Dutch ovens for half price, $225

Bad news: they have dumb MLB logos

https://www.surlatable.com/search?prefn1=productType&prefv1=HardGood&q=MLB
drat this is pretty tempting despite the dumb logos.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

drat this is pretty tempting despite the dumb logos.
No I can't actually bring myself to buy it

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ended up buying one of the MLB logo le creuset dutch ovens after all... I feel like I'm definitely going to regret it every time I have to look at it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kitchen towels are nice because they're a lot easier to clean than oven mitts

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

I have one Magnum in the kitchen set for a coarser grind and another Magnum that lives on the dining room table set to a finer grind.
Do you ask your food if it feels lucky?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not at all regretting buying the bigger red Sox logo one that was on sale before. The logo is barely noticeable and I've already gotten a ton of use out of it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Re: pepper mills I think I know what search string leads you most directly to this photo

Is it "What pepper mill do I buy to compensate for the world's smallest penis"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

After finally getting a kitchenaid stand mixer a while ago, I decided to splurge on the name brand pasta roller/cutter attachment rather than getting a knockoff.

I had a hand cranked pasta maker a while ago that I ended up getting rid of when I moved, but man the kitchen aid attachment works so well. I made some ravioli for dinner today (specifically this: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/gorgonzola-butternut-squash-ravioli-51556041) and it was amazing and now i just want to eat nothing but fresh pasta/ravioli, lol.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bamhand posted:

lower carb rice cookers
What

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently it has a basket that allegedly filters out some types of starch or something?

Unless you're diabetic and you have actually tested that this helps control your blood sugar levels or something I'm a bit skeptical.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think the victorinox paring is anything special; it's basically the same as any other paring knife, but it's a perfectly good choice.

The 5 inch fibrox chef's knife otoh is great as a utility/petty knife.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Booyah- posted:

speaking of weighing flour, is there a general cup to weight conversion that works as a good starting point? obviously it depends on who wrote the recipe and how they scoop, but id like to try as few recipes using weight and adjusting based on the results
You can find tons if you google it but the whole reason for using weight is that the density is all over the place for flour in the first place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

What do chamber vacs do differently in terms of sealing from foodsavers?
I think the main difference is supposed to be that by removing the air from the surrounding space, they effectively suck out the air inside and outside the bag at the same time, so there's no suction to the contents of the bag specifically, meaning that you can seal liquids with no problem. With foodsavers it's hard to get all the air out of liquids unless you freeze them before sealing which is somewhat time consuming and also allows to get food to get freezerburn before you seal it.

I guess if I won the lottery or something I would consider getting one for personal use.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 28, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't feel great about the waste so it would be nice if there was a solution, but using a vacuum sealer + bags takes up so much less freezer space and is so much more convenient than other methods of storing stuff I don't think I can go back to anything else now.

I've been gradually upping the quantities when I make everything so I can start freezing multiple extra portions and it's so nice to have a whole selection of stuff I can just defrost if I'm feeling lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have 7.25 and I also wouldn't recommend a smaller size. You can always put less stuff in if you aren't making that much but you don't want to get a small one and not have enough room in it.