Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

I would wager a lot of kids hear about Wolverine the mutant before they learn what a literal wolverine is. Wolverines aren't really on the animal radar in the same way that like wolves and foxes and deer are.

I read somewhere that there are only 300 wolverines left in the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey, on that note, is the original Longshot miniseries by Ann Nocenti any good? I'm sure the Art Adams art is gorgeous, but is it a story that would hold up today? Would I ever want to read it more than once? I ask because I have store credit at a used bookstore, and it's one of the TPBs they have.

FWIW, I've read Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem, so I have some passing familiarity with Mojo.

I think it's quite good. It's very Nocenti, which means the dialogue tends toward the surreal and poetic rather than trying to sound realistic, but if you can roll with that I think you'll enjoy it.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Travis343 posted:

I would wager a lot of kids hear about Wolverine the mutant before they learn what a literal wolverine is.

This issue extends to the screenwriters of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
If you live in Michigan you hear about the animal a lot, it's our state animal, and the mascot of the University of Michigan. Ironically they're not native to the state.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am pretty sure most writers are also much more familiar with the characters, given how often they seem to give wolverine wolf like characteristics

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I still don't understand how Wolverine's "hat-hair" became some kind of weird comic convention until in the 90s we started seeing characters with gigantic triangle-shaped mullets that must have been styled in place with Rust-Oleum paint.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Halloween Jack posted:

I still don't understand how Wolverine's "hat-hair" became some kind of weird comic convention until in the 90s we started seeing characters with gigantic triangle-shaped mullets that must have been styled in place with Rust-Oleum paint.

That was mostly just Liefeld, because all Rob can "draw" are X-Men ripoffs.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Alpha Flight #17

That fucken hair tho

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
Has anyone read "Faust - Love of The Damned" ?

It's a bit like Spawn only if Spawn was full of satanic sex rituals and bum rape. It's very weird but the weirdest thing about it for me is that it's so well done. The art and writing are absolutely top tier and it would maybe be considered a classic if it wasn't about satantic bum rape rituals.

There's a film which is entertaining enough but doesn't do the comic justice at all.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just got caught up on this thread, and a few days ago everyone linked all those "best pages ever" from the Transformers wiki but nobody linked the actual best page. For shame.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

prefect posted:

Da, tovarisch; soon we shall put this insurgency down for good!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

And to think, in the 90s, it was 300 Wolverine #1 issues with special holographic foil variant... a week.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm reviving this thread because I've been reading post-crisis Wonder Woman lately and I made it into the early 2000s and this poo poo is the strangest loving comics I've read in a while. This is right before Rucka took over. Phil Jimenez wrote WW for a good while and I think there's probably a good reason his run isn't as well remembered as Rucka's.

So this whole storyline starts with Diana and her new love interest Trevor (not Steve Trevor, this guy's first name is Trevor and he's a black dude with dreadlocks) finding Tempest chilling in her apartment looking for Aquaman's trident. A portal opens and a sea monster pops out, grabs Trevor and sucks him in to what they think is going to be Themyscira but is actually Skartaris, a place of lizard men and weird midgets. Villains Inc., a team of Diana's villains including Giganta, Dr. Poison, Trinity and some others, is slowly taking over Skartaris and Diana and Trevor spend like four issues getting all the lizard men and bird dudes and weird midgets to work together and defeat the bad guys.

That whole weird loving story is just the setup for the actual weird poo poo I wanted to share with yall.

So they go through another portal with a huge herd of dinosaurs in tow. They quickly realize something has gone very wrong, as they are not in Themyscira as they expected.

This entire time, Wonder Woman is communicating with the dinosaurs and her boyfriend is carrying around Villains Inc. who have been shrunk down and stuck in a bamboo cage:

They eventually come across Diana's mother, Hippolyta, dressed as Wonder Woman, fighting Nazis. See, like fifty issues ago Hippolyta was sentenced to become Wonder Woman after her scheme to get Artemis killed instead of Diana based on a prophecy she had was exposed. She borrowed Diana's invisible jet (which was sentient and could shape-shift) and went back in time to the 1940s where she fought the Nazis as the Golden Age Wonder Woman (and hosed Ted Grant, apparently). Diana disguises herself as patriotic superhero Miss America so her mother doesn't recognize her (Diana's supposed to be dead at this point, but past-Hippolyta doesn't know that she eventually comes back, or that present-Hippolyta is actually dead) and together they run off to retrieve the Trident, which Nazis stole:

As you can see Diana defeats the Nazis by spoiling the ending of WWII. Meanwhile Trevor has been left to tend to the dinosaurs and punch Nazis, but things get out of control when the tiny bamboo prison breaks open and a series of tiny villains escape:

Whoops! Did I say "out of control" because I meant the opposite of that. The tiny villains are no threat whatsoever:

Anyway, Tempest manages to bring Diana, Trevor, their tiny captives, and a poo poo ton of dinosaurs back to Themiscyra and everything is completely fine. The Amazons get to study dinosaurs and Hippolyta crawls into bed with Wildcat and reveals she knew it was Diana dressed as Miss America the entire time.

The end! No moral.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If the whole thing was a setup for a Lego-sized Giganta growing to a Barbie doll, I'd totally believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

"And then Wonder Woman did something. There was a... pouch of some kind. Strapped to a cool dinosaur. With a weapon inside? I think? Maybe some kind of extradimensional space? drat it! I'm just not describing it well. Jeez, I wish you could just see it! Oh well, let's just skip ahead."

Phil Jimenez: Artist! Writer! Occasionally both at once!

• Locked thread