Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Vulture just named CXG the best show on TV for 2016! They did a really good writeup explaining why the show is so great and why it was selected over other great shows.

I've had trouble putting my love of this show into words when describing it to friends before and I think they really captured it. So many people are turned off when they hear it's a musical comedy but it's so much more than that, despite most of the marketing and critical buzz focusing on that aspect.

quote:

But where The Americans [this year's runner up] could be an Off Broadway drama in which monologues are lit by a single spotlight, and The Leftovers is an extended fever dream about grief and loss, a similarly laser-focused richness is expressed on CXG as a high-wire act, with every character juggling chainsaws and flaming bowling pins while cracking jokes and sometimes singing. And it’s all so peppy and colorful that the show seems to be almost daring you to assume that it couldn’t possibly be as deep as a dire spy drama about family, patriotism, identity, and moral relativism.

It's definitely worth reading the whole article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
In case you want to convince someone else to give this show a try, it's now on Netflix Uk and US. I hope some people start to watch it now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think it's on the UK one because I am fairly certain they share a catalogue with Ireland and it's not showing up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think it's on the UK one because I am fairly certain they share a catalogue with Ireland and it's not showing up.

People on Blooms twitter seem to claim so. Maybe the shared catalogue was one of the many victims of the Brexit.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Came here to post that, can confirm it's on US Netflix :hellyeah:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is definitely on the UK one too. Sorry Emmy :(

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

It is definitely on the UK one too. Sorry Emmy :(

:saddowns:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just finished shot gunning the entire season in about four days on Netflix. While the later have didn't grab me as much as the beginning, the show on a whole was really great. I love they ended the season with Josh realizing what he's gotten himself into. Honestly, if there wasn't another season that would have been a perfect ending.

Am I the only one who didn't want her to end up with Josh or Greg?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No there're other posters who think that. The court case episode is where the season was originally supposed to end before more episodes were unexpectedly commissioned.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked the idea of her ending up with Greg in that those were the moments she seemed to be getting healthier. So it appealed to the part of me that wanted Rebecca to get better.

But the ending with her just falling right back into full blown crazy and Josh realizing it for the first time was hilarious.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We all unanimously agree about White Josh and Daryl forewarning if you do not want them together you can just get the HELL OUT

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His name is Chief!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Song picked to be nominated was Settle For Me

grumble, etc, still hope it wins

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Escobarbarian posted:

Song picked to be nominated was Settle For Me

grumble, etc, still hope it wins

What is it up against anyway?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Stupid Bitch AKA the best song

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They picked the song to nominate based on our big vote.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I want Rebecca to end up with whoever is best for her mental health after that person has also completed their journey to be in good mental health. I don't care who that ends up being.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

i hope next season we get a greg pov ep with a greg opening theme

e: like the woman seeking man episodes of man seeking woman

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Heres Hank posted:

SoCal goons, the wife and I are going to be in Anaheim this summer and we're thinking of going to West Covina for pretzels. Is there a go-to pretzel place that particularly relates to the show?

Real answer: In some segment the producer and Bloom talked about where they got the idea for the pretzel. They were walking through a mall and found there were three pretzel places in there. I think they were talking about the San Anita mall in Arcadia/ Pasadena, but if the were talking about the West Covina mall, then they only saw 2 of them and thought it was three.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wes...bs=lf:1,lf_ui:4

But yeah, just buy from both, they have Pizza Pretzels, sausage pretzel, and these sugary hazelnut pretzel's. Hell they should people just standing around ready to give you a free sample.

Also if you get lost in West Covina, it's not your fault. The whole city is laid out like a confusing maze.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Anaheim to West Covina is kiiiiind of a schlep just for a pretzel.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Hawkgirl posted:

Anaheim to West Covina is kiiiiind of a schlep just for a pretzel.

ya its 2 hours (4 in traffic)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hi I just want to say I've binged through this show over the past week and fell in love with it but that finale made me angry in many ways and only made up for it a little by Josh's horrified look at the end but oh my god as a gay filipino man Lea Salonga guest starring and singing made me squee in every way possible. Also White Josh/Darryl for life.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

fell in love with it but that finale made me angry in many ways

agreed

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My crazy current girlfriend and I just finished the show on Netflix, and it was incredible.

Random thoughts:

- Paula's life suuuuuucks. No wonder she's all in on Plan Josh, her kids are lovely, her husband is lovely unless she's gossiping about Rebecca with him, and nothing's wrapped up neatly for her at the end except her friendship. I hope next season has her finding something to do with her life, because it's more depressing than Rebecca's pining over Josh.

- This show has so much diversity. Like someone said earlier in the thread, the show had two Asian people talking to each other alone, and their race didn't come up at all. Is there a race Bechdel test?

- I got really surprised at who could sing. I didn't expect everyone to be qualified, so it was always surprising when a song started.

- "How many sleeping pills did you take?" "So many." That "So many" line was perfectly delivered and her expression was adorable.

- Loved the reveal of Rebecca's actual singing voice. The cute allusions to the songs (even though they're clearly dream-ish sequences of some nature and not what's really happening) were great. "I feel like my life is just one song after another" or something, and "Yeah you did a whole big song and dance about it."

- This show really made me crave boba tea.

- Textastrophe.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BJPaskoff posted:

- Textastrophe.

- Messagepocalypse.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Senerio posted:

- Messagepocalypse.

GET OUT OF HERE STEVE JOBS

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BJPaskoff posted:

My crazy current girlfriend and I just finished the show on Netflix, and it was incredible.

Random thoughts:

- Paula's life suuuuuucks. No wonder she's all in on Plan Josh, her kids are lovely, her husband is lovely unless she's gossiping about Rebecca with him, and nothing's wrapped up neatly for her at the end except her friendship. I hope next season has her finding something to do with her life, because it's more depressing than Rebecca's pining over Josh.

Paula's life seems like one of those long term marriages when the stop trying. The second they found something to spark it again it improved.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
poo poo is good and I am glad I found out this late, and this close to a new season. Rebreg forever, by the way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

Rebreg forever, by the way.

That's a terrible portmanteau. Just try to pronounce it without flinching.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Yeah! Grebecca is the best one.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

adhuin posted:

Yeah! Grebecca is the best one.

Regrebeccag

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
On my good days I'm Greg Serrano. But on my bad days I'm Arthur from Difficult People.

I cant turn away from this show.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Just finished binging this and glad season 2 is coming soon. What, no comments on the season 2 trailer in here?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/09/crazy-ex-girlfriend-season-2-trailer

I'm still reeling from the end of the season finale. I'll admit that even though I know what's best for everyone is to start working on their poo poo and get on the mental health train, I have a huge wet panty tv crush on Greg and so like whatever #teamgreg.

Jesus Christ Greg being bounced by Rebecca for Josh one more time... It's too much. It reinforces all of his stupid emotional distance poo poo because exactly the thing he was afraid of happened. I can't reconcile my desire for Grebecca with the fact that it would be ridiculous for him to have anything to do with her again. How could there be continued romantic tension between the two of them without it feeling like a rehash of season one?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was sure they couldn't gut punch Greg one last time but they did and it was agonising, I had to watch the last fifteen minutes a few days later because I couldn't make it through. I was vindicated by the ending though when people had previously said Rebecca had fully come clean on the party bus. Josh still seems a bit of a mess as a character because he is kind of dumb and they show him maturing which is great but scenes like where he does karate to beat up bad feelings make him look genuinely disabled and it's really loving weird. Valencia owning Josh was the best part of the finale.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's been around a few days, but I might as well post the trailer for the second season. It's starting on the 21st.
https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/784448494518038528
To be honest, it feels a bit hyperactive. But that's probably just the fast pacing of the trailer and the music.

Who's going to make a new thread?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 10, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Do we need a new thread?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I guess no.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TVIV usually does a thread per season for shows that don't have total dead zones for threads but I've never really seen the need unless it's a behemoth like GoT or TWD.

Not watching that trailer as I wanna go in cold and oh god this is suffering

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Escobarbarian posted:

TVIV usually does a thread per season for shows that don't have total dead zones for threads but I've never really seen the need unless it's a behemoth like GoT or TWD.

A few times I've seen a thread for season two (or later) of a show and ended up watching the show after reading the OP. If people had just kept posting in the season one thread I wouldn't have done that. So it's valuable from that perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Season 2 thread sounds like a good idea anyway. Don't worry!

• Locked thread