Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I honestly feel like the Josh part of it is less important because I don't think she was REALLY in love with him. She doesn't really know him. She was just infatuated with the idea of him, and more broadly with the idea of being happy with him.

Agreed though now it seems like she is in love with him instead of it being a manic obsession with the idea of him.

I don't buy this as the big reveal though because she quietly clearly took a hard right when she was talking about the main factor of her happiness. I guess I'll have to wait until Season 2 for my Greg/Rebecca moment if they are pursuing a genuine Rebecca/Josh romance plotline. Chief and White Josh were amazing this episode though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well yeah, I think that moment of kindness from Josh as well as the genuine connection they have kind of took Rebecca out of her infatuation and made it into "you know, I've gotten to know Josh and I really DO love him."

See, I think the "main factor of her happiness" is that she was lonely in NY. She had work and an overbearing mom and that's it. Now she's got a supportive mother figure and a developing group of friends. Which was really the main point of the episode, not just Rebecca wanting to be a part of this group of friends but also Greg and Josh kind of clashing with the boundaries of their group (Greg is starting to grow and mature and wanted to do new things and introduce new people and Josh is still kind of stuck in place and wanted to preserve his "crew"). Any romantic relationship with Josh still feels like kind of a tack on for that. Rebecca could be very happy just being Josh (and Greg's) friend because she didn't have those in NY.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Can I just say that 'White Josh' is an amazing character name.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Brock Samson posted:

Can I just say that 'White Josh' is an amazing character name.

I liked that Rebecca's boss knew his actual name and for a second I thought it would be revealed he was a quasi-celebrity like a competitive snowboarder or something. The idea that he's just some guy Rebecca's boss has a crush on at the gym was funny but I thought it would have been funny if White Josh actually had the biggest identity outside this group but they all ignored it anyway for that name.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

MrBuddyLee posted:

What'd you all think of Vaseline's song? It's rough, because it's so damned mean, but it's also pretty on the nose, and not just about her.

It wasn't a great song (none really hit this week) but it was pretty amazing on the whole, women sometimes feel this kind of way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MrBuddyLee posted:

What'd you all think of Vaseline's song? It's rough, because it's so damned mean, but it's also pretty on the nose, and not just about her.
I wasn't really impressed by the song itself. But it gives good insight into Valencias character. She actually belives she's doing thse girls a favour by putting them down like that, because she thinks they deserve to know those "facts". That's her messed up way of showing affection and I actually think she kinda means well. I'd say It's some form of internalizing the objectivication of women.
The only two women she treated "nicely" there are Rebecca and the other girl she hates.
I know that there are some women like that, but that's really sad.

She is sort of messed up, but in a way which is socially accepted. :smith:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:siren:HAVING A FEW PEOPLE OVER:siren:

:wink:Later bro

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 2, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show gets better and better. All the Rebecca/Josh stuff is great because he's seeing growth as a human being and she's still drowning in her craziness.

What's the over under on Josh ending up leaving Valencia but telling Rebecca she's an important person to him but not in that way?

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

The scene with the guys talking to Greg about his commitment issues was brilliant.

Also this:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Lots of awkward kissing in this episode. Who kisses his girlfriend on the nose? That's weird.

I wasn't a big fan of this episode at first, but one line kinda slayed me.
"And according to this book it's because I'm a...
dumbass."
Perfect delivery there.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

White Josh is now ten times more fascinating than Josh.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

pentyne posted:

This show gets better and better. All the Rebecca/Josh stuff is great because he's seeing growth as a human being and she's still drowning in her craziness.

What's the over under on Josh ending up leaving Valencia but telling Rebecca she's an important person to him but not in that way?

Hell no.

Also because that would backfire on everyone after making all that noise about Asian American dudes equal as romantic partners and all from the people who make the show basically. It would be like Jet Li and Aaliyah hugging at the end of Romeo Must Die all over again.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Maybe it's because the first few episodes were amazing, but I'm not enjoying this show nearly as much as I did at the start. Still like it, but the songs aren't as good, for starters.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, this episode wasn't my favorite musically.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

oh jay posted:

Agreed. Josh is fine as his own character he just doesn't really suit Rebecca even given all of this 'truly deeply honestly' emotional development. The early Greg stuff made me assume that is teh route they were working towards but it doesn't seem like that anymore. Josh is just too meh for a wide variety of reasons. Her live tweets last night were quite ominous

https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/694382188398141440

So it seems like they have committed to this absolutely horrendous idea. Fully on board with Chief and White Josh though.

e: Though all the way deep down I am still holding out hope that Greg/Rebecca is gonna happen

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 2, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh jay posted:

Yes but I might be biased because ugh, I'm not a fan of Rebecca and Josh.

FairGame posted:

Maybe it's because the first few episodes were amazing, but I'm not enjoying this show nearly as much as I did at the start. Still like it, but the songs aren't as good, for starters.
Also this :saddowns:

e: both of the last episodes seem to try to pawn off a few seconds of song as actual songs, too

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 2, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yes but I might be biased because ugh, I'm not a fan of Rebecca and Josh.

Also this :saddowns:

e: both of the last episodes seem to try to pawn off a few seconds of song as actual songs, too

Yeah I noticed that the last two episodes have songs start, then sorta get interrupted. The boss dance song was horribly wasted too, how could they not think of a few lyrics to put in there? seemed really weird, even though it was the perfect way to hide that the actor can't sing with over the top techno autotuning. I loved the concept, but they didn't do anything with it.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 2, 2016

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

if it gets renewed they will get together at the end of this season

next season will start immediately after they break up from that relationship

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Phoon posted:

if it gets renewed they will get together at the end of this season

next season will start immediately after they break up from that relationship

They are definitely going to end up together considering the recent episodes so I certainly hope they plan on it not working out. I doubt we'll be as fortunate to get a break up as soon as the season 2 premier though.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

White Josh is the best character. Daryl is a lucky man :)

Loved the Terry Richardson-alike

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Air is lava! posted:

Lots of awkward kissing in this episode. Who kisses his girlfriend on the nose? That's weird.

Valencia kissed him on the nose at the start of the episode in a slightly condescending way. He was responding in kind as a sort of middle-finger to her.

They have a healthy relationship.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Who is Daryl? Chief on the other hand is a lucky man!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The music in the last few eps has definitely been of lower quality than the previous ones...but I do love that they're actually expanding on characters like Valencia and White Josh that could have easily been throwaway side characters. If the show survives long enough I can see them expanding the world of West Covina like P&R did with Pawnee.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bowser posted:

The music in the last few eps has definitely been of lower quality than the previous ones...but I do love that they're actually expanding on characters like Valencia and White Josh that could have easily been throwaway side characters. If the show survives long enough I can see them expanding the world of West Covina like P&R did with Pawnee.

This is West Covina nightly news, and I am a reporter.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

pentyne posted:

I would honestly love if the show went this way. Given that the show seems to be all about throwing character tropes on their heads him just not being interested in her romantically would be amazing.

Or maybe Rebecca and Josh sleeping together and her realizing she doesn't really love him but loves the idea of what he represents

White Josh and Daryl 4 Life!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

I would honestly love if the show went this way. Given that the show seems to be all about throwing character tropes on their heads him just not being interested in her romantically would be amazing.

In the episode with Father Bra, he explicitly told her that he finds her atractive. But I guess that could just be a temporary thing.
Maybe Josh figures that dating girls he knew since highschool keeps him locked in the past and prevents him from really growing up.

sbaldrick posted:

Or maybe Rebecca and Josh sleeping together and her realizing she doesn't really love him but loves the idea of what he represents

I hope that this happens. Those two getting together and just staying a happy couple just seems really off. It seems like a bad message. At this point I'd call them a bad match.

Depending on how they'd do it, it would make a depressing finale. Everything she dreams of happens and she is finally ready to feel true bliss. But then she realizes that her dreams were meaningless and happiness does not just appear once you reach your goals. The town suddenly lost a lot of it's appeal, so she contemplates moving back to New York. Meanwhile, Josh feels like she just used him after she made him break up with his (at that point) fiancé.

But I guess that doesn't really fit the mood of this show at all. Even though it can be quite sad and depressing, it's super optimistic and energetic and basically always ended on a positive note.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 4, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gotta work up to that crying blowjob somehow

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Air is lava! posted:

I hope that this happens. Those two getting together and just staying a happy couple just seems really off. It seems like a bad message. At this point I'd call them a bad match.

Depending on how they'd do it, it would make a depressing finale. Everything she dreams of happens and she is finally ready to feel true bliss. But then she realizes that her dreams were meaningless and happiness does not just appear once you reahed your goal. The town suddenly lost a lot of it's appeal, so she contemplates moving back to New York. Meanwhile, Josh feels like she just used him after she made him braak up with his (at that point) fiancé.

But I guess that doesn't really fit the mood of this show at all. Even though it can be quite sad and depressing, it's super optimistic and energetic and basically always ended on a positive note.

It would be a good message if they broke up because while West Covna makes her happy as does Josh but they don't work as a couple. So it treats the whole thing in an adult learning way.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

EmmyOk posted:

https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/694382188398141440

So it seems like they have committed to this absolutely horrendous idea.

Not necessarily; she said the character fundamentally changed, not how he fits into the overall picture. True, such a change can lead to the plan being redrawn to suit it, but I think they can accommodate such a change while sticking to a Rebecca / Greg endgame.

I mean, prognosticating what might have been is a sucker's game, but I'm happy to assume that the original characterization of Josh is a decent guy who's kind of a dumbass, locked into his childish ways. So as Rebecca grows through the series, she starts to move away from that and ultimately into the arms of Greg, the more "adult" love interest.

But Rodriguez doing what he does gives them a little room to play with the audience's expectations. Things can get a little more serious between Rebecca and Josh without it being as creepy, but it's still obvious that everything that's happening between them has nothing to do with a deep connection. It's just two people showing incredible kindness to each other at a time in their lives when they desperately need it.

That allows Bloom and McKenna to more thoroughly explore what romantic love is. Are you in love because you and the person in question are nice to each other? What's the difference between a powerful friendship and a full-fledged romance? Maybe that difference will somehow develop between Josh and Rebecca, but based on how she and Greg were canoodling at the end of the "parents" episode, I think the spark is already there between those two. They're just too caught up in their own bullshit to recognize it, and that takes growth.

Oh i finally caught up to this series, it's alright i guess

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think we're in an interesting place with Rebecca and Josh where both started the series unhappy and lacking self confidence and both are helping each other grow and realize the things they didn't like about their lives and change that. For Rebecca that happened in a nutty way but Josh is taking a much more normal path slowly realizing what he loves about his life and what he doesn't.

But yeah, nothing Josh and Rebecca have experienced with each other so far has been truly romantic or about a deeper relationship. Its still a pretty superficial relationship, but because both have been so kind and supportive to each other they're looking inward and growing.

My guess is Josh and Rebecca will get together at the end of the season and then break up sometime next season as they start to realize that rebounding right into this isn't super healthy either. How it goes after that I have no idea and I doubt the show does either.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
With the way the show is going it would kill everything done so far if Rebecca and Josh end up together and happy. That's completely against the entire premise that Rebecca is putting all her life's problems onto Josh as the One True Solution to them rather then her eventually growing and adapting to being a functional adult.

Same with Josh, he's sort of stuck in a high school mentality and doesn't want to do anything serious, and Valencia just gets to run things by dictating to him what to do because she's the most "adult" of the two. Josh could easily find a way to embrace all the things he loves and turn them into a career/professional job while standing up to Valencia that doesn't involve leaving her for Rebecca.

Season 1 might end with Josh leaving Valencia but not getting together with Rebecca, and season 2 is Valencia trying to get him back (via crazy schemes like Rebecca does) while Rebecca runs interference and tries to keep her away and monopolize Josh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've said it before but I kind of hope Season 2 has Valencia hitting her own rock bottom after losing Josh (and by extension basically the entire social circle she has) and starting her own growth. It probably won't all come at once and I can definitely see some time with the roles reversed where Josh and Rebecca are dating and Valencia is the third wheel, but just as I assume that relationship won't last I'd like to see Valencia's role as a villain giving way to her actually following the theme of the show and growing like everyone else.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Not necessarily; she said the character fundamentally changed, not how he fits into the overall picture.

That's a good point, I just keep worrying over anything that might indicate Rebecca and Josh as a long term thing. I suspect the prediction that Rebecca and Josh get together in the finale and break up in the second season is the most accurate one. Josh is at his best away from Rebecca in my opinion so I wouldn't mind more of him as his own character. I wonder how Greg and Heather is going to go because it doesn't seem solely like something to keep Greg's plot tied up. Also I'm genuinely hoping for romance or at least best friendship between White Josh and Chief.

My other worry is what the show will do after Rebecca and Josh as it's the framework of the show that everything else is built around and blossoms in. I love the characters and writing but I do think a show needs an overarching plot to grow around or it can lose focus. The newest episodes haven't been as good but compared to the majority of other shows it's still far better.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Guys, it's on!

Frather Brah is back!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh my god. He doesn't have his phone.

She's going to need to get to his phone.

She's going to need to fight Valencia.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Holy poo poo

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
THE GHOST OF STEVE JOBS!

Where do I know that white female lawyer from? I swear I've seen her somewhere.
Edit: I do not know her from anywhere. I was confusing her with Taryn Southern.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 9, 2016

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

One day she was crying a lot,

aaaaaah i love it :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
40 minutes in before the title card.

• Locked thread