Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh yes, Warcraft will be saved by its writing.

I wonder if someone will become corrupted by power and betray the other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
The writing could've saved the Hobbit. :ssh:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This movie is for if you like Warcraft and no one else will like it at all. If I've saved you money with this info then go 'head and donate the ticket price to the good old SomethingAwful Forums Cloud Storage Fund

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snowman_McK posted:

I just realised something. Is this the first game based movie to be based on a PC only series? (aside from one of the Warcraft games briefly popping up on playstation) all the others have been console mainstays.

zVxTeflon posted:

Wing Commander

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The later Wing Commander games were ported to the Playstation and one got a 3DO release.
Yeah if Wing Commander's ports count then Warcraft is disqualified too because of the aforementioned PS1 port.

They both originated on PC though.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

No, Postal (Uwe Boll, 2007) was based on games that never got console releases.
Yeah it would be Postal.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
something about the perspective on that shot is freaking me out, like it's loving lopsided or something

someone draw some lines tia

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Immortan posted:

Oh no, the shadows! Will thy not hold out for the script, thou virile goon?

Really? The script?

These are the images they want to use to get people excited, and they're images where the guys holding the lights couldn't decide where to loving stand, and nobody noticed and you think the script is going to redeem it? The script will be "There are some Orcs/Orks/Oruks, let's go fight them" and that's fine. The good bit will be how good it looks when that happens, and not knowing how lights work does not bode well. In story telling, that's called foreshadowing. But yeah, I should wait for the script.

"I mean, there was that one scene in the forest where John appeared to be under water but Bill, right next to him, was a cell phone, but the dialogue in that bit just sparkled."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just for comparison, this is a cutscene from World of Warcraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

The writing and voice acting is pretty terrible, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather watch a movie that looks like that than a movie that looks like the Warcraft trailer.

Of course that would probably be like 300 million dollars more expensive to make.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Just for comparison, this is a cutscene from World of Warcraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

The writing and voice acting is pretty terrible, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather watch a movie that looks like that than a movie that looks like the Warcraft trailer.

Of course that would probably be like 300 million dollars more expensive to make.

Making a movie look good is not nearly as hard the trailer made it seem.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Immortan posted:

The writing could've saved the Hobbit. :ssh:

And did.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah there's been some pretty great cinematic game trailers in recent years, these ones were good fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuHWWC9xxmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgmH9Vv2-I

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think this movie should be straight to DVD and you get it with your pre-purchase of the next expansion.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The actors said they finished filming like 2 years ago.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

I feel like I'm being shitposterty, but I wish I could see what mind boggling terrible thing(s) you guys are seeing. The movie ain't going to be good, but those shots look fine to me.

I mean, the only way I can see someone thinking those shots are bad are the same folks who'd show screenshots of the Thing prequel and swear up and down the Carpenter movie effects were somehow better.

The real problem with those shots is that they're compositionally bland and communicate nothing other than "a thing happened". There's no reason to make your fantasy movie look like it was shot by a newspaper photographer covering a real event.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yes, Warcraft will be saved by its writing.

I wonder if someone will become corrupted by power and betray the other characters.

That actually does happen this early in the series, with Doomhammer betraying Blackhand. (I don't think 20-year-old games need spoiler tags).

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The joke is that every character does that.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It's pretty remarkable how Warcraft lore really doesn't suit the 2015 fantasy landscape at all. I guess that's one of the problems with being in production for 9 years.

Post-Hobbit audiences are probably still at least a little soured on goofball fantasy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone clear up for me whether that crowd shot is all CGI or actual humans with some weirdass greenscreening going on? I just assumed it was all CGI.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jean Eric Burn posted:

It's pretty remarkable how Warcraft lore really doesn't suit the 2015 fantasy landscape at all. I guess that's one of the problems with being in production for 9 years.

Post-Hobbit audiences are probably still at least a little soured on goofball fantasy.

Hobbit audiences loved those movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If Blizzard offers a mount for just seeing the movie with concrete proof - thats close to 6 million butts in seats.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Vintersorg posted:

If Blizzard offers a mount for just seeing the movie with concrete proof - thats close to 6 million butts in seats.

For a total of of 1/2 the movies marketing budget.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jean Eric Burn posted:

People wrote off the Variety rumors from a few months ago about execs sweating bullets over this movie, but this trailer of a trailer certainly made me understand why they might feel that way

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I played WoW back in the day but I don't keep up with any current fantasy books/shows/movies so I have no clue why WoW doesn't suit the current fantasy landscape.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is this still based on Warcraft 1 or did that plan change somewhere in development?

My hopes have always been that this one gets made and does well enough that we get a movie based on Warcraft 2 with pirate orcs and zeppelins and poo poo. WC1 is kinda generic fantasy but WC2 is where the Warcraft flavor was really born.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

Can someone clear up for me whether that crowd shot is all CGI or actual humans with some weirdass greenscreening going on? I just assumed it was all CGI.

There are plenty of humans in that shot.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vintersorg posted:

Clearly you don't know anything about video games. You get to choose from 5 mounts, with one of them being a limited edition that can only be claimed with a midnight opening ticket. Each proof of theater viewing gets you another choice from the mounts.

If you see the movie in all 50 states you get a special mount. If you see it on 6 continents you get a different skinned version of the 50 state mount. Secret unique mounts are available for those who view it in Antarctica. If you get all the mounts you also get a limited edition pet and a title.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If the movie is good, I will continue to praise David Bowie as father of wonderful.

if the movie is not good, I will blame the troubled, lengthy production, Sam Raimi, studio meddling and Chris Metzen. Then I will continue to praise David Bowie as father of wonderful directors.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Warcraft

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I played WoW back in the day but I don't keep up with any current fantasy books/shows/movies so I have no clue why WoW doesn't suit the current fantasy landscape.

These are just my personal observations, I probably take in less fantasy media than most goons, but as I see it here are some big trends that shifted around since they seemed to have started production in 2006.

1. Young Adult fantasy, which is basically the entire publishing industry's bread and butter at this point, continues to grow every year way way more than other genres. More adult readers than teens.
Clashes with Warcraft on a lot of basic levels, lack of a ~just like me~ teenager protagonist is probably the biggest one. Also not much romance in the Warcraft universe.

2. George RR Martin/Game of Thrones: Obviously the big pop culture fantasy trend of the moment. Dark and morally ambiguous.
Basically the huge clash here is how both series view/reward morality, in the Warcraft universe, morality is always the path to victory. In GoT, those who don't limit themselves with morality are usually the winners.
This is probably the biggest trend in fantasy at the moment, no real heroes on any side.
Now clearly the story is going to have good guy orcs and good guy humans and some morality bits, but it would be surprising if there were any *serious* moral choices made by either side that didn't all work out in the end.

3. "No elves"
Anti-Tolkien. Certainly not a trend born of hatred for LOTR or anything like that, but lately it just seems like if you want to be taken seriously at all these last few years, your best bet is to keep elves out of it (or do it perfectly).

Also on a more general note, the space exploration genre is obviously blasting off and we're probably going to get a ton more space movies than any traditional fantasy in the next few years.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Immortan posted:

Oh no, the shadows! Will thy not hold out for the script, thou virile goon?

We're talking about the hookers and blow Chris Metzen here...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jean Eric Burn posted:

3. "No elves"Anti-Tolkien. Certainly not a trend born of hatred for LOTR or anything like that, but lately it just seems like if you want to be taken seriously at all these last few years, your best bet is to keep elves out of it (or do it perfectly).

ASOIF has two different types of Elves though even if the Wood Elves are a bit extinct. That's a lot of Elves.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Also on a more general note, the space exploration genre is obviously blasting off and we're probably going to get a ton more space movies than any traditional fantasy in the next few years.

Good news, Warcraft isn't just about monsters and magic, but also about space ships and extra dimensional conflict!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chieves posted:

The joke is that every character does that.

Yeah it's literally the only plot that Blizzard ever does.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it's literally the only plot that Blizzard ever does.

"I was good, but now I am bad. Maybe one day I will be good again"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jim Raynor never went bad.

This is Jimmy

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Jim Raynor never went bad.

This is Jimmy

But his not-girlfriend does.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

That actually does happen this early in the series, with Doomhammer betraying Blackhand. (I don't think 20-year-old games need spoiler tags).

This is a bit Trap Sprung but I just noticed you got it backwards.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

looks like Shrek

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't expect this to be any good, but at least it looks like a really interesting mess. I'm just impressed by how accurate it actually seems to the series' style, so I also expect huge off-putting tonal shifts and incredibly hamfisted race metaphors. It's just so surreal that it's actually happening, like I thought this was gonna be like that Asteroids movie in that it would just be stuck in concept hell forever and you'd hear a vague news story about a new writer was attached to it about once every year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FreudianSlippers posted:

ASOIF has two different types of Elves though even if the Wood Elves are a bit extinct. That's a lot of Elves.

And Warcraft 1 doesn't have elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Will it have THE NARRATOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpEXhNjEeHY

• Locked thread