Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Talking about meh old candy, I recently noticed that these things still exist.

And they've still got ugly bucktoothed kids on the box.

Sure that middle girl looks like a terrible Chinese stereotype but since she's surrounded by other kids with dental problems it doesn't seem quite as bad. Hell, the black(?) kid doesn't even have teeth. Clearly a cautionary tale against overindulgence in sugary treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

VendaGoat posted:

Worst Candy on Earth.

Ugh. Much like those goddamn wax lips. Might as well just eat a tube of chapstick.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Bismuth posted:

Has anyone ever tried to make a banana flavor that is recognizable by today's banana standards?

Doubtful because they just go with whatever tests best in group. Like strawberry candies rarely taste anything like an actual strawberry but we recognize them as in that broad category of artificial strawberry, usually helped along with bright pink food coloring that also fails to resemble real strawberries.

e: At the ice cream shop I used to work at we originally made strawberry custard by pureeing in the berries and it tasted pretty drat good. Unfortunately it wasn't very reddish and old people with dead tastebuds would claim it was flavorless. We ended up mixing a bit of artificial flavor in to get it pinker and everybody loved it. Pretty sure we're conditioned to expect a bit of artificial flavor in just about everything these days.

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 4, 2015

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

counterfeitsaint posted:

RE Banana "flavor" versus how bananas taste, the most glaring example of this to me as always been grape flavor. I mean, it's not even vaguely close to what any kind of grapes taste like at all. Did they just choose to call it grape because it was purple?

Yeah, I like grapes but gently caress any "grape" flavored anything.

Also just realized those lovely marshmallow cones I hated are made in my home state so that's probably why nobody ever knows what they are if I mention them. Lucky everybody else.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

genesplicer posted:

all honest people realize that particular flavor is best called "purple", not "grape". I like that particular flavor, even as I realize it has no basis in nature.

I'll take blue anything over purple and maybe orange as a distant third, not to be confused with actual orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Pick posted:

actually the craft store Michaels always has old people candy (because old people shop there for stupid crafty garbage)

Yeah similarly Pat Catan's in Ohio had the marshmallow cones and other weird candy poo poo by the checkout.

Including those candy buttons on paper; does anyone really have nostalgia for those things?

(It's me, I am the old person who buys the crafty garbage).

• Locked thread