Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Oligopsony posted:

I feel like the biggest thing that's changed between Exalted and my tastes in this time is that the effort it expects me to put in to get fun now looks overwhelming, actually. Grognardy OSR games look way more manageable. (A huge part of me still wants to run Exalted, though, somehow.)

Play
Godbound maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Ok, now you need to explain that .

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
How does slot allotment for Gencon work; is it just companies and organizations that can submit stuff, or do individuals do it, too?

If it's the latter, I'm kinda surprised that no one is running anything.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I love Godbound, but its basic experience is a lot different than 1st- and 2nd-edition Exalted (which I have a lot of experience with), and I suspect 3rd edition as well (which I have little experience with, admittedly).

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Rand Brittain posted:

I keep waving my hands at Vance and saying "repuuuuublish the corebooks in two voluuuuuumes (also make wyld shaping better and let me do an epub)" but it turns out this isn't a magic spell that causes companies to redo expensive books.

Please wave harder.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

reignonyourparade posted:

Glorantha actually has TWO native systems at this point. Classic Runequest and much more fate-esque Heroquest. Plus an official 13th Age adaptation.

Does anyone have any experience with the 13th Age adaptation? The baked in pseudo-setting for 13th Age never did it for me, but I do like me some Orlanthi.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
That's totally fair!

However, clearly enough people are willing to hurl themselves into the breach; it's already funded, and one of the limited levels is already gone.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Right now, it looks like it's fun to play a Dragon-blooded of just about any kind, or a Solar...martial artist or sorcerer.

Who avoids their native charmset.

That sprawling charm cloud is an insane nightmare, especially with any sort of new players involved.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Maybe it’s more of a sous vide

She's not Clotilde Aalto

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
For those interested in Exalted Essence, they put out an interview with the devs today:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
For anyone who wants to see the first public stream of Exalted Essence: https://youtu.be/9iR2hvXoapQ

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
poo poo, I don't suppose anyone has that old gif of Crimson Banner Executioner "dancing", do they?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Hmmm... Probably would be a pain to shrink down to gang tag size and still look good.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Nessus posted:

I believe they explicitly said that there will be alchemicals in Creation proper and that the focus will be on those Alchemicals rather than on the ones in Autocthon. I don't think any of that is being removed, but it's more "you can be an Alchemical-type Exalt without necessarily dealing in this entire other sidebranch of a setting." Which I think makes sense especially if they're trying to focus on Creation proper.

This is broadly correct about Alchemicals in Essence. Next week's manuscript preview on Tuesday should cover the Exalted chapter, and there will be more information there.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Ash Rose posted:

I only kinda follow this thread, but I am getting the impression that Essence is a bit parred down? Do we have any more solid info on that because honestly that would be the kind of thing that might get me to interact with Exalted again. also vaguely confused by talk of 4e.

The goal is for it to be lighter and easier to use than 3e. Resolution and subsystems have been streamlined, charm selection is hopefully less daunting, and there's lots of advice and instruction for new groups and players. I've seen people peg it at around CoD sans Mage levels of complexity.

As far as I know, 4e still isn't anywhere near the horizon.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's pretty easy to guess though this is going to be a dry-run for what that's going to look like in the future publishing market.

That has not been how it's been seen on the freelancer side of things. If it's successful that's possible, but it's not an intentional trial balloon; a lot of people just wanted a more accessible version of the game, and a lot of people wanted to make one.

quote:

So just a white woman with red hair and a beer stein being there is a thing

I can't speak to most of the art beyond generalities, Janest, based on page 631 in the core. Creation is a big place. Some folks brew beer.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Mel Uran declined due to health issues; largely, my understanding is that the biggest issue is time and scheduling for many of the others.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Dammit Who? posted:

Looking at the newest released Essence manuscripts, the Great Curse stuff is really, really good. I'd happily use it in an otherwise core 3e game.

Thanks! I'm so happy to hear you like it so much.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

bartkusa posted:

I would hope “stab and give orders to battle groups” is supported by the iconic anima

It totally is.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
There was a lot of in-house tests for various iterations of the combat system. Between Overwhelming, weapons tags, Hardness being reduced by coordinated attacks, and the fact that attacks can be flurried with other actions while Build Power can't, and the fact that combative characters wanted high combat abilities for decisive attacks and gambits, we didn't find Build Power dominating the the stage.

There are some versioning issues, unfortunately, because the testing documents got updated pretty regularly. For instant, Defense is a Difficulty and not a penalty/success reducer.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Dice converted to successes from any source count as successes, so barring specifically cap breaking effects, the maximum bonus to a static value like defense is +5.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

LGD posted:

hmmm

obviously we’ve yet to see how it fits together, and that’ll depend a lot on specific charm design, aforementioned cap breaking effects, broader context, etc., but on first blush I do read attacks having a cap +10 dice higher than defense as likely to be a problem for the system

You'll see the charms and equipment before too long. The test we ran found that the way dice and success adding work generally means that things happen pretty fast in Essence combat. However, because of the need to build Power and how soak works, it usually results in a rapidly escalating fight that hits a high tempo rather than someone getting pasted immediately. I'm sure there will be breaking points we didn't see, simply due to the number of eyes on it now, but characters attempting to max out their pools and swing for the fences ends up working out pretty well.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I think I'd like ExEss a lot more if:
1. The developers didn't actively, aggressively, and explicitly dislike the idea of Liminals and half-rear end them because they didn't want to work on them

If you don't like the charmset that's fine, but that's definitely not what happened.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Like I said, if you don't like the charms that's totally a matter of taste, but Liminals weren't "half-assed," and defining their themes and abilities wasn't a 20 minute spitballing session.

I'm not sure where you're getting there being "so little" of them versus the other Exalted types; Essence a hell of a lot of ground to cover, but I got as much space to work on them as the other charm writers did. The split between Universal charms with modes and Exalt-typed charms meant that some (Liminals especially) got shorted earlier in the process, so more got added in post-KS development. I can't speak to those since I didn't write either set, just the Liminal charms, but they certainly received as much effort and time as anything else in Essence or the larger line.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm a bit puzzled because I don't think it was ever advertised as "super-simple rules light." The kickstarter uses the words "streamlined," and "paints in bold, bright colors, showcasing epic tales of action, intrigue, and heroism" but the word "light" isn't even on the campaign's page.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Berkshire Hunts posted:

Finally, they give us the bad rules we think we want

You're welcome.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

If you back it, watch out; Indiegogogo sets a 20% "tip" to itself at checkout (which is new; this didn't happen during Exigents which also used IGGG).

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

wiegieman posted:

No, but that's because Kickstarter won't let them start new campaigns until they deliver books so they have to use other platforms.

This is not, in fact, true. Across the Eight Directions was never slated to be crowdfunded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Many Faced Strangers is now finally out for those who backed the Lunar kickstarter at a level which includes it.