Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fallorn posted:

Ok that is funny I can't take chain boobs serious at all I would almost expect them to add a piercing so that the chain stayed in the right spot. That is some of the dumbest looking thing I have seen. Also the green chick in the middle going for golden balls crotch.

Yeah, the Lady of Darkness in Bloodstained Robes is kind of ridiculous. I don't know if her writeup in Scroll of Exalts was actually based on someone's ex-girlfriend, but man, it sure sounds like it was.

(People can say what they like about Infernals, but Scroll of Exalts is the worst book in the line to my mind for being more or less absolutely useless.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

North was reasonably good; for the rest, you'd generally be better off today reading the 1e books that the 2e directional books are Cliff's Notes versions of.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

What is Getimians?

Imagine if the Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts were also kung-fu Taoists fighting a shadow war against Heaven for control of destiny itself, with Sidereal Xehanort training them in martial arts.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

North, West, Blessed Isle and Yu-Shan were my top choices.

If we're counting the Celestial directions, I'd say North, South, Yu-Shan, and Autochthonia.

I'm curious as to what you liked about Blessed Isle, since the conventional wisdom on it is "I literally cannot remember a single thing from this book."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, Infernals were great because they were wedged into the parts of 2e that allowed them to more or less create a new game for themselves on top of the broken core; when 2.5e started applying patches to the rest of the system and the broken things Infernals ignored became important, their whole Charmset broke.

(Or rather, their Charmsets, because it turns out it's close to impossible to do the "six different Charmsets that are all workable on their own but also form a larger Charmset as a whole" once you need more than just a perfect defense to survive.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think Roadie is right in saying that the Charms in question look a bit odd when you take "masters of mortal abilities" as the theme, then go straight to the top of the Charm tree and see "turn my cat into Battle Cat".

I don't think it's really that odd if you look at the progression and accept that Solar power tops out in mythic superhero territory:

* make friends with cat
* train cat real good
* train cat to be badass
* teach cat to use Spin Attack
* turn my cat into Battle Cat

Similarly, the Lore progression is:

* know a lot of stuff
* learn more stuff quickly
* see the truth of a thing
* make accurate predictions
* make predictions of DOOM which come true

which seems a lot more sensible in context.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

Is Ex3 still not technically out yet? Like, final release?

They give any estimate on FR?

They've got a lot of small errors to fix, and also at least two major ones that are going to mean completely redoing the pagination of two major chapters, and thus change the page numbers for the entire book and thus require redoing all the page XXs.

What I'm saying is, it's gonna be a figure in the months.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

I know this point has been beaten to death, but page numbers can auto update in almost every modern book making software.

I am forced to assume that Maria doesn't know how to use that function, or doesn't feel comfortable enough with it to rely on it for a major 700-page project.

(I don't think any of the artists we worked with on the Chuubo books used it either, or at least those didn't autobookmark. Of course, they didn't have nearly as many references.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Still in First Draft.

Second draft, although for a bunch of complex mechanics that are continuously being revised, the whole first draft/second draft distinction is kind of unhelpful.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Madam Marthesine is a good choice for a robbery, too, although she's probably an order of magnitude scarier than anything listed as a potential mark so far.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Generally speaking there are very few vaults in Creation that can withstand an Exalted master thief with Supernal Larceny. Like, there are probably going to be maybe ten that aren't in the category of "yeah, he's going to steal everything, the question is just how."

You might want to focus more on what the local power players start doing after it becomes clear that there's an unstoppable master thief going on a crime spree--things like traps, tracking you down based on how all that gold you just stole gets spent, and figuring out your identity and kidnapping your boyfriend.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Read Intentions does a lot of things that the book doesn't really explain by implication. It took me a while to figure out that Ex3 doesn't actually have a roll for lying; it's just a passive exercise of your Guile.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Plus he might be a robot or a ghost or some other thing that doesn't really need money.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

You know, if DEX 5 is so essential to any functionality in combat, why not just issue it by default? People can still customize with their relative levels of martial skill.

It isn't remotely essential.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They sent a lot of the Poser art back to the artist, but I don't know how much of the layout stuff is slated for change,or to what degree it's practical without redoing everything.

Although, they kind of have to redo a lot of everything already.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of supernal abilities, is it really necessary to have it be a combat ability to feel competent? If my character concept would want, say, supernal performance, will I be making a character that can't contribute in combat situations?

No, it's absolutely not necessary, and making it so you don't feel like you have to is exactly why the RAW makes it so you can't take a combat Supernal unless you're the Dawn.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's good to know that they only thought they were having fun!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm looking forward to getting the chance to use the tailor character I built. ^_^

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

I just don't follow the logic where having one Supernal ability somehow makes the 24 other ones completely redundant.

I think the logic is that E5 Charms are better than E1 Charms, so if you can buy E5 Charms it's stupid to buy E1 Charms.

Really, this is the same debate as the BP/XP debate we all got tired of, because in both cases Ferrinus is basically upset because his alternate universe selves may somehow be getting more for their money than he is, and the Ex3 dev philosophy absolutely does not give a poo poo about balancing you against your alternate universe self.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

By the way, those Tanith Lee books were hard to find! But they are really cool and weird.

The Kindle versions of the books that were available seem to have disappeared in order to make room for Penguin to republish them later this year.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Beyond the new art, it can't take this long to fix the places of words and re-crop art. It's been what, 2-3 months since the backer preview went out?

Well, they had to fix the two half-page pieces of art that were covering up words, which means moving around the words in that entire chapter. They also had to go through all the corrections people sent in and see which ones actually needed to be made (apparently they got a lot of incorrect corrections).

Anyway, according to the Monday Meeting notes from two days ago, Maria just sent the corrected PDF back to Rich.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's not Holden's job to write the index.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Even if Holden's not the person sitting there comparing page references to book copy, if his role as a developer is anything like "person actually responsible for work getting done at all," It's actually is his job to make sure it's written and to be aware enough of the process to know it could/should've been done during Maria's layout period.

As far as I know, "person responsible for work getting done at all" is, in fact, not the developer's job according to Onyx Path's division of labor. At this point the book is pretty much in Rich and Eddy's hands. The "developer" job means that you're in charge of hiring and wrangling writers and assembling the text into its final shape, and doing a lot of what would be called "editing" if we were talking about a novel. But it doesn't have anything to do with the production side and isn't even that involved with things like picking out the art.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Okay, so where does the index not fall in this? The hiring, the wrangling, the doing stuff with text?

The Monday Meeting comment says pretty openly that Rich is the one who does it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That's really weird, guy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Crion posted:

So is constantly going to bat for a project with no goodwill left to squander without being on payroll, so I figure y'all are even.

I don't actually put liking things and hating things on equal grounds of respectability, so.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Because we've had this argument more times than a Solar has dice in her pool?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Everything everyone else has ever said indicates that the devs are commenting on the layout PDF. I think Lea is just wrong about this.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Today's Monday Meeting update: "Ex 3 core book – From RichT: Maria adding bookmarks to PDF, prepping printer files, and we’re getting an index for it."

So, the book is done except for indexing. (I got confirmation on this from Holden.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

A month is actually pretty fast for a professionally-made index.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

I asked a friend of mine who teaches people how to use desktop publishing software and he said it'd probably be a day's work for a 400 page text. Say 3 days for a 700 page one like this. Granted, of course, you may be addressing a freelancer with a ton of other projects, because people in this economy either have nothing or are horribly overloaded so that the gods may feast on our sorrows, but I don't think it would take a month of work to do.

I find it very difficult to believe that any given indexer could read Exalted 3e in three days, much less be in a position to know what needs to go into the index and what doesn't.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

No one should have to read anything, man. This should be automated!

By "automated" people seem to mean that the writers should be trained to tag everything they write when they write it so that the index can be picked out that way. That isn't actually a small task, and given that RPG writers are already mostly underpaid to the point of being volunteers, it's not surprising that this isn't how it happens.

I don't actually know anybody who constructs indexes the way you're describing. Maybe it's more common in other industries? But it's not common here. If you think it ought to be, maybe you should start finding or creating best practices guides and sending them to the major RPG publishers so they can benefit from your experience!

...that's not even really sarcasm. I keep wishing I had a copy of "Developing A Complex Art Project With A Small Team of Fanatical Amateurs And Hardly Any Money For Dummies." If you write one, I'll buy it!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

/gets out debit card

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

That's handy, though I wish there was a RAW version. And it doesn't resolve any of the stuff that's actually rules-ambiguous, rather than floridly written.

Yeah, the main problem with these stylistic rewrite projects is that nobody wants to do that much work without also changing everything else to suit their preferences, which makes the result less useful for everybody who doesn't share them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

In order to do that kind of work for free, you also have to care about the result. When you care about a thing, you tend to care about it in many ways. How many people care strongly enough to rewrite the whole charms chapter but yet have no opinions about how they'd want to tweak it?

It's zero, yeah.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Pugmire and Godbound are both weird to me in that they're both far enough away from D&D that I don't understand why they don't cut the cord altogether.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

Just use the chompy pic from Masters of Jade, as that is already perfect.

It was vertical rather than horizontal, so they would have needed to remake the layout around it.

In general I think they could have gotten away with refusing some of their best art.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Are you for real? Can we get a cite on this poo poo?

The actual claim is more like "we put all the random informational stuff that tends to get stuck in the storytelling chapter of a White Wolf book throughout the rest of the book."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I have a horrible suspicion that Beast was a stealth dry-run of 3E Lunars; whether it was or wasn't, I hope the Exalted devs take note of it as an object lesson in what not to do there.

I don't think the problems with Lunars and Beast are really that similar.

Beast ran aground because the authors started with the idea of heroic Beasts versus beastly Heroes, and then weren't willing to start over from the foundations when people said "ugh, these Beasts are awful and I support the desire of Heroes to kill them."

I'm not going to list the long history of what was wrong with Lunars, but given that the goal of the Silver Pact in 3e is more or less "let's burn civilization to the ground until there's nothing left for the Realm to hit us with but pointy sticks", I don't think they're in danger of becoming the Misunderstood Secret Heroes Except The Mean Old Sidereals Keep Sending Hit Squads Because Their Lives Are Shriveled And Empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Beast is more like what you'd get if you tried to write Infernals as the misunderstood, downtrodden protagonists without actually changing anything about their existing writeup.

Yeah. Infernals might have been somewhat like Beast if the back half took the same approach as the front half and studiously ignored questions like "so why would I want to hand the world over to these lunatics?"