Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at creating my first 3E character. I've looked through the book significantly, but are there any traps I should know about? I'm thinking Twilight Sorcerer, probably running Brawl/Invulnerable Skin of Bronze. Is that viable? Is a brawler with physical tertiary viable? Am I still gonna need a 5 Dex?

EDIT: Also, where do I find mutations? Are they just the supernatural merits? And what am I allowed to pick with Saga Beast Virtue? Is 5-point Unusual Hide okay?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

I wouldn't go for tertiary physical, no. You could probably get away with primary physical and secondary mental, since I think you only need intelligence for sorcery, right? While all of the physical stats are going to be used for brawling in some way.

Flavivirus posted:

You could probably skimp on Strength if you pick up smashfists or suchlike, and Stamina if you pick up artifact armour, but you definitely need as much Dex as you can get. You'll want Intelligence and to be high for your sorcery and Wits to be high for join battle. I'd say you want Physical to be at least secondary, primary if you're not going to do combat sorcery - secondary levels of Int are fine if your sorcery's restricted to buffs and rituals.
Maybe I'll just go for combat sorcery, then. Is The Burning Name (from Pact with a Fire Lord) effective? I'm guessing if I plan on using Thrown as my main combat style, I'll want to take Dodge as favored as well?

Does taking Survival as Supernal and expecting my familiars to guard me during combat work?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If I'm mostly going to be breathing fire for Thrown on my combat sorcerer, can I get away with Dex 3/Stam 5 if I've got Resistance 5 and pick up some defensive Resistance charms? I'll hopefully be able to rely on the Blood Ape and Emperor Sloth for some additional protection.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

Dexterity 5 instead of 3 will give you one more point of Parry and Evasion, which is equivalent to one more point of soak even when you are getting hit. The increased enemy miss chance, personal accuracy, personal move action effectiveness, etc. is well worth the second point of soak Stamina 5 could've got you.
Yeah, good point. My only thought was that it synergizes well with Resistance, but not that well. Probably better off with Dodge.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a section in the book anywhere about how familiars are supposed to be handled in combat?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or is Speed Sustaining Technique (from Master Horseman's Technique) better than Flashing Thunderbolt Steed?

EDIT: Unless you're in a race.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 20, 2016

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Do I need to buy Saga Beast Virtue and its prereqs multiple times if I want to use it on multiple familiars?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tell me why my character is terrible.

Storyteller house-ruled that Supernal can go in caste or favored, there will be an experience system closer to building points than experience. I plan to raise Wits quickly, probably Awareness, too, and my first few charm purchases are likely to be Dodge and Performance.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I think there's a reasonable argument to be made either way. Maybe it is more difficult to challenge a group with a Supernal Dawn, but on the flip side, it's really nice to be good at what you're good at.

I think there's a good argument to be made for RAW, a good argument to be made for throwing Supernal out altogether, a good argument to be made for letting you choose Favored skills as Supernals, and a good argument to be made for making your Supernal +1/+2 Essence instead of ignoring the requirement.

It just depends on how you want to play.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

See, here's the exact problem. Now you're in the frame of mind where you're not actually good at something unless it's your supernal ability and you're throwing around its capstone charms out the gate. It used to be you were good at an ability if you had it Favored and had a bunch of charms for it... but not any more!
Oh, for gently caress's sake. Sometimes, you want to be hella good at what you're good at, instead of merely good.

Some people like to play that way! Other people like to play a different way! Play how you want to play, bro!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bouquet posted:

You broke the sheet's point calculation by splitting Master Horseman onto two lines, but other than that minor detail...

It looks like a squishy sorcerer with a badass pet. (Two pets? One place says Emperor Sloth and the other says Blood Ape.) As long as no one manages to ignore the pet long enough to kill the sorcerer* you should be fine.

*Everyone tries to kill the sorcerer first, it's in the official Realm tactics manual.

Pet has Guard Another. And yeah, I have a Blood Ape and a Sloth; the Sloth for riding and murdering, and the Blood Ape just for murdering.

How is Flight of the Brilliant Raptor as a control spell? The waiver on the WP once per day and the extra range increment seem not bad. Definitely going to want to pick up Death of Obsidian Butterflies for groups, though, right?

I really wish one of my compatriots would pick up Crane Style.

Also, at least one person read it. Worth.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

Why not talk about fun character builds. I want to try an Eclipse or something with the full Persona charmset from the Socialize tree, but I don't know if it's too much insane bookkeeping to be viable. Has anyone had a go with it?
I want to see if a crafter would work with Supernal Socialize.

Just have your persona be the crafting bitch. Might be too much of an investment, though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but ferrinus aside the other side of the argument isn't "mean poopy fun haters who just hate fun and have to stop everyone having fun because fun is bad, NO FUN ALLOWED". Game design just isn't a 1-1 correlation with fun. You can have fun playing naughts and crosses (tic-tack-toe in america I think?) but it's not exactly a mind blowingly great game. It's also false to translate "This rule is bad, for XYZ reasons" as "You, personally, were playing this rule wrong, because you're a stupid chucklefuck who doesn't appreciate culture" or something. Hell, I've had fun playing monopoly, which is a game designed to be bad to showcase the cruelty of late-stage capitalism. Basically, "but it's fun" is just not really an argument involved, and it's a category error trying to insert it into a discussion of mechanical rigor.

In any case, there's a lot about 3e that is fun, but that doesn't really stop it being loaded down with weird cruft and artifact rules.
To be honest, I think I largely agree with him on the Supernal thing; I think overall it was a bad move as a default way to play.

I don't think it ruins the game or anything, but I think removing it would be for the best; then again, I prefer to have a broader, more generalized Exalt instead of a specialized one, so...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

Yeah, I think "supernal is bad" is fair, but Ferrinus is definitely more belligerent about it than he needs to be.

That said, it's not supernal is bad because it subtracts 16 kilofun/sec or something, it just creates weird, hosed up incentives, and, as it's a wholly new edition, didn't need to be a thing. Games with weird, hosed up incentives can be enjoyed at individual tables, they're just not as good as ones that don't have weird hosed up incentives.

I think it would be much better as an optional "want to get to some high-rent stuff quickly? Here's one way to do it" sort of sidebar instead of the default way to play.

I think it probably made them step down the Essence 4 and 5 charms significantly, since you can technically get those at chargen.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

I liked that if you wanted to be a, for example, sorcerer, you could be as good a sorcerer as a Twilight just by taking Occult as Favored. Can't do that anymore!
Everybody with Occult favored is pretty much exactly as good of a sorcerer as everyone else with Occult Caste or Supernal, now.

Supernal Occult doesn't let you get into Sorcery circles earlier.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good initiative tracker for Android?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bartkusa posted:

I'm trying to build a web based one.

It's going almost as quickly and smoothly as the corebook development.
My grandchildren thank you for your efforts.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bartkusa posted:

You can now use the initiative webapp to track characters' personal and peripheral essence!

When you click the [Go] button, that character will gain 5 motes automagically (assuming they're not full up).

I'm also gradually making this less awful on phones, but it isn't easy.

Feedback is welcome!

My regular game was cancelled this week due to a birthday party, but I'm totally taking this for a test drive on Tuesday.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

I think I've hit peak :smugwizard:. My Twilight's in game reaction to our Dawn caste leaving to go to Hell to fight Octavian for her former incarnation's sword was, "Well, that's inconvenient. Guess instead of summoning Octavian to fight alongside the Dawn I'll just make a god and jack it up with sorcerous workings to be almost as strong."
Couldn't you have just summoned Octavian, and given him the task to retrieve the sword and return it to her?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

If you ask me, the main black mark against 2E's playability is the importance of multiattack flurries to combat.
Also paranoia combos. Also the fact that (with a very few exceptions) you should basically never use non-multiattack offensive charms unless they were post-step-9. Also really poorly-written mechanics (Wyld Cauldron Technology, Guard Another). Also the fact that you needed to Perfect Defense pretty much everything.

I mean, I played in a couple of campaigns that lasted over a year, based pretty much on the setting alone; combat was a complete poo poo show. Do not play 2E, or 2.5E. It sounds like they're going to have a book for you to order in a couple of months, and in the meantime, you can just :filez: 3E. It isn't perfect, but it is SO MUCH BETTER than 2E or the Scroll of Errata.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gourdcaptain posted:

I did. It mostly involved going on about how it was the foundational text for all of Exalted, involved a lot of sex, and apparently asexualty would be a superpower in that universe.

So I've really got no inclination whatever to read it now.

EDIT: And then the rest of the thread involved for a while other people trying to figure out how to price asexuality as something you pay for at chargen which was uh... a thing.
Pffff, why bother paying for it? Just take Terrestrial Circle Sorcery and make your sexuality your sorcerous sacrifice. :P

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bedlamdan posted:

Exalts can get staph infections as of 3E (and other mundane diseases), but they merely long for death rather than receiving its sweet release. Basically diseases just never get to terminal stages.
This is one reason why I picked up a dot of Resistance and a level of Ox-Body at character creation, even though it wasn't Caste/Favored; the extra health levels are nice, but the Resistance Excellency that comes with them is very, very useful.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

PDF 4 lyfe, fuckers! Print cost of NOTHING!

I'm usually with you on this, but it's really nice having physical copies at the table.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thug Lessons posted:

What exactly is the difference between the PoD and Deluxe edition, if any?

The Deluxe Edition is presumably premium color, is leatherbound with metal trim, and comes with a ribbon tie/bookmark. Additionally, the PoD versions don't have the backers listed in the back.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

If you're talking POD Standard vs POD Deluxe, POD Deluxe has more vibrant colors on better paper. There's a comparison of M20 deluxe and standard floating around RPG.net, with IIRC the conclusion that the deluxe copy is nice but not necessary.

Oh, poo poo, yeah, I was talking about the backer deluxe, not the PoD deluxe; my bad.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is Bartkusa's initiative tool broken for anyone else, or just me? :(

EDIT: Only on mobile, I should mention; works fine on regular Chrome.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody know if I put in a pre-order for the Sidereals book now, will I get an early-access copy of the PDF immediately?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PatentPending posted:

I missed the Sidereals kickstarter, so am also interested in this.

Figuring I was gonna want this eventually, anyhow, I went ahead and bought it, and it does immediately give you a link to the draft.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is artifact weapon and armor just the price of entry for Exalted combat at character creation, or is that more of an essence 2-3 thing?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Whirling posted:

I suppose, it might just be my fixation on playing muscle wizards in this system that's coloring this chat; I usually go around rocking 5 Resistance dots on most characters I play.

On another topic, I hope the Underworld gets the same kind of glow-up that Yu-Shan got in Sidereals. I'm hoping they have more communities of ghosts that aren't aligned to any deathlord, for starters; it seems like everything revolving around those thirteen ghosts really dragged the potential of that plane of existence down.

At 5 resistance/5 stamina, you'd only have a fifty percent chance of passing, assuming a 1-point stunt and no other effects.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I remember it specifically because someone piped up at the time saying that, as a person with a wheelchair, she found off-putting because it looked too large and heavy to actually function as a mobility aid.

I think asking for inclusion is one thing, but this is Exalted; asking them not to make something way too large to be practical is a bridge too far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GreenMetalSun posted:

God, I love it so much because you can tell that every single person involved couldn't even be hosed to google 'what does a wheelchair look like?', nevermind speaking to one (1) actual disabled person.

Like, yeah, it it should definitely have no cushions/belts/support (and the armrests look loving uncomfortable), and there should be no way to get in or out of it, and there should be no way for the user to touch or reach the wheels, and also it should be so bulky that it actually restricts your movement because why would a person who needs a mobility aid need to get inside a building or go through a doorway? A wheelchair is exactly the same thing as a daiklave, right? Bigger is better? No need to confirm that, I think we've got it, lads.

Like at least being carried on a litter by the enslaved dead would be loving rad.

Schwarzwald posted:

Not to defend the murder death skull wheeled throne too much, but I don't think it's meant to pick up groceries in.

Yeah, I mean, my feeling is that the chair kind of should be the wheelchair equivalent of a grand daiklave. Everything in Exalted is over-the-top and impractical, it's the nature of the game.